Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall

The Steam Game and Player Statistics page shows the PC edition of MONSTER HUNTER WORLD, is regularly attracting well over 300,000 concurrent players since launching last week. VG247 reports that a story on Steam Spy behind a paywall says the game has sold between two and five million units since launch. This serves as testimony to both the popularity of the game, and how badly accuracy of Steam sales estimates have become following recent backend changes by Valve. It's not all good news for CAPCOM's newest release, however, as DSOGaming reports that the PC version was permanently removed from WeGame in China by Tencent after complaints that it is "not fully comply with relevant regulatory and policy requirements." They also report that issues with the ports have sent its approval rating on Steam plummeting below the midpoint. They note the irony of this in light of previous claims that the port was being delayed to provide a "really great optimized PC experience."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 16, 2018, 18:53 eRe4s3r

LurkerLito wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 16:55:
Darks wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 12:49:
For me, its the slow assed movement. Monsters constantly charge at you and you are not able to dodge or move out of the way quick enough. And on top of making your movement slow, its all based on Stamina, and weapons use stamina too. So guess what? When you are fighting your stamina constantly bottoms out and you are unable to dodge.
That's not how it works at all. Stamina usage depends on your type of weapon. The switch axe uses 0 stamina when using the Y button attack (on a controller) or Y + B attack, but constantly swinging using the B button attack does use stamina. Weapons like the bow constantly use stamina so it won't be a spam fest from a distance, but a weapon like the bowgun uses no stamina, but has to be reloaded constantly and that's where you will be hit as you move even slower as you reload. Maybe that is more of a weapon you want. The great thing about this game is no matter how you want to play there is a weapon that will probably fit that style, but each weapon is a completely different from each other and how the stamina pool is used. I personally don't like to block with a shield I like to play offensively with lots of dodging, so most of the sword and shield ones are out, but I do really like the fast movements of the charge blade. It also IIRC doesn't use stamina for it's main attack either. You have to balance and be patient, this is not like a Ninja Gaiden game with lightning quick reflexes will help you, it's a Dark Souls like game that you have to wear down the beasts you battle. In most of my playing of this game I rarely run out of stamina except when using the Bow.

My biggest issue with the game is the complete and utter lack of a pause button. Everything respawns, stuff you killed could just respawn, or another beast in the game could just wander to your location if you go AFK to use the bathroom and your being attacked when you get back. I am not thrilled about, after the quest is done, a timer comes up that will whisk you away, sometimes other minor creatures are surrounding you so you have to take care of them before you can loot the monster you just took down, but you got 60 seconds to take them all out and gather the materials. It was very tight in some situations. It would be all but impossible if a big beast came in and interrupted you at the end, but thankfully that hasn't happened to me yet. During expeditions, you can have a dying monster on the run and poof they disappear off the map, that is not a fun thing to happen and it has happened 3-4x to me now and with each fight going anywhere from 8-20 minutes that is a real big annoyance to fight them and get nothing.

Still overall I love the game. I was hesitant to get it but for some reason I am just really into it.

Super late, but if you go AFK, click on a camp icon in map mode.. you can fast travel to camps at no cost and no penalty outside of combat and in combat you need to use the farcaster. But this one thing changed the game completely for me, I had no idea what the camps were good for until I realized this.

Currently though I am stuck on Nergigante... I find it apt console players call his attack pattern in the last 10% of health "tactical nukes".. what a stupidly designed fight. Find I have to cheese the game for the first time in a long while for this 1 fight. Every other monster I could handle because even if I died it was my fault, but sometimes the game just fucks with you and what should be clearly breaking his god damn spikes doesn't, even though my hammer does 1200 damage + 300 thunder I can't shatter any of his spikes consistently.

Blah ;/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 14, 2018, 09:17 Numinar

In an ideal world, yes, but the refund policy is mostly about meeting some jurisdiction's regulatory requirements for the game to be functional as opposed to "I played for 5 hours and decided I don't like it", something that should be clear within 2 hours.

If stores like Steam thought refunding products because their customer decided they just didn't enjoy it then a lot more of them would let you get refunds, or at least trade your keys, long after purchase. It seems to me that there would be a niche for such a store if publishers themselves thought such a policy was useful. DRM free is working out for GOG so maybe it's not so far fetched that such a policy might be considered in the future by someone.

20. Re: removed Aug 13, 2018, 23:11 Kxmode

Darks wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 19:25:
blues u suck!

Don't hate. Hug! Hug

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 21:45 eRe4s3r

Meanwhile I have seriously not a single issue with the game, performance is great, no crashes, no stuttering, smooth as a baby. I think for once in my life I am one of the few who have no issues at all with the game.

That said you either like these kind of games or you don't. Seems to be pretty hit and miss all things considered due to how the "grind" + "crafting" progression works together, though once you understand the game more grind becomes less because you realize you can revert weapons (to some extent) to get all materials back and thus easily change into another weapon class for example.

And speaking of weapon classes, really every weapon plays fundamentally different, for me HAMMER is where it's at, but it took a while to find which weapon I like and which weapon plays into my strengths with a controller (which is like anything but aiming ;p).

This game really REALLY could have used some less grind and a better tutorial though. Like explaining to people that you should never just kill stuff on exploration, you do this via investigations which gives you additional loot and money and more importantly, which gives you extra rewards when you capture the monsters to the point that you save yourself 3 hunts with 1 well placed investigation. Took me a while to figure that out too....

All in all I like the game

Needs to be repeated though, it takes much longer than 2 hours to find the weapon aka play-style that you like. Because often you can't judge a weapon and playstyle till you played with it for a while....

18. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 19:43 jacobvandy

Darks wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 19:27:
I've been using the bow ,and it sucks stamina up like a sponge.

And yes, I do use food. it does not help at all.

The bow's charge attack will do that, yeah. In the forest you can find these edible bugs on fallen logs that will give you the buff to reduce stamina usage by 50% for a while. It's hard to offer specific directions, but they're called 'Wiggly Litchi' and have about a half-dozen locations across the map. It's actually pretty tough to use a ranged weapon solo, though, at least before you unlock the ability for your pet to actively draw aggro and tank for you. If that's what you want to do, I'd recommend the light bowgun because it won't slow you down much and uses ammo instead of stamina to fire.

17. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 19:27 Darks

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 19:15:
OpticNerve wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 15:43:
To be fair, in MH:W there are various foods, consumables and gear which will either lower your stamina usage, increase your max stamina, increase your stamina regen or all of them combined. In fact, Rations (which are given for free before each hunt in your gear box) increases your max stamina for the duration of the hunt.

I think this is what a lot of people are missing. Even though there's a part of the tutorial that teaches you about restoring stamina, it may not be immediately clear that it's talking about the overall size of the bar, which is only at a medium level when you begin your outing and also slowly reduces over time as a sort of hunger/fatigue mechanic. Then managing the usage of your stamina is an important part of how you 'git gud' in this game, along with not blindly mashing buttons and rooting yourself in place with long animations that aren't even hitting your target.

I totally agree about the lack of pause, though. Apparently this is the first game in the series that doesn't let you pause while playing solo, which makes it an even stranger omission. If something comes up in the middle of a fight with a goddamned T-Rex, say your pizza arrives or the baby starts crying, the best you can do is disengage from combat and teleport back to camp.

I've been using the bow ,and it sucks stamina up like a sponge.

And yes, I do use food. it does not help at all.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

16. Re: removed Aug 13, 2018, 19:25 Darks

blues u suck!  

15. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 19:15 jacobvandy

OpticNerve wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 15:43:
To be fair, in MH:W there are various foods, consumables and gear which will either lower your stamina usage, increase your max stamina, increase your stamina regen or all of them combined. In fact, Rations (which are given for free before each hunt in your gear box) increases your max stamina for the duration of the hunt.

I think this is what a lot of people are missing. Even though there's a part of the tutorial that teaches you about restoring stamina, it may not be immediately clear that it's talking about the overall size of the bar, which is only at a medium level when you begin your outing and also slowly reduces over time as a sort of hunger/fatigue mechanic. Then managing the usage of your stamina is an important part of how you 'git gud' in this game, along with not blindly mashing buttons and rooting yourself in place with long animations that aren't even hitting your target.

I totally agree about the lack of pause, though. Apparently this is the first game in the series that doesn't let you pause while playing solo, which makes it an even stranger omission. If something comes up in the middle of a fight with a goddamned T-Rex, say your pizza arrives or the baby starts crying, the best you can do is disengage from combat and teleport back to camp.

14. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 18:55 SimplyMonk

LurkerLito wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 16:55:
It would be all but impossible if a big beast came in and interrupted you at the end, but thankfully that hasn't happened to me yet.

A good way around this is to capture everything and not kill it. You needs traps and tranquilizers, but you get more parts and don't have to worry about skinning the boss at the end.

13. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 16:55 LurkerLito

Darks wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 12:49:
For me, its the slow assed movement. Monsters constantly charge at you and you are not able to dodge or move out of the way quick enough. And on top of making your movement slow, its all based on Stamina, and weapons use stamina too. So guess what? When you are fighting your stamina constantly bottoms out and you are unable to dodge.
That's not how it works at all. Stamina usage depends on your type of weapon. The switch axe uses 0 stamina when using the Y button attack (on a controller) or Y + B attack, but constantly swinging using the B button attack does use stamina. Weapons like the bow constantly use stamina so it won't be a spam fest from a distance, but a weapon like the bowgun uses no stamina, but has to be reloaded constantly and that's where you will be hit as you move even slower as you reload. Maybe that is more of a weapon you want. The great thing about this game is no matter how you want to play there is a weapon that will probably fit that style, but each weapon is a completely different from each other and how the stamina pool is used. I personally don't like to block with a shield I like to play offensively with lots of dodging, so most of the sword and shield ones are out, but I do really like the fast movements of the charge blade. It also IIRC doesn't use stamina for it's main attack either. You have to balance and be patient, this is not like a Ninja Gaiden game with lightning quick reflexes will help you, it's a Dark Souls like game that you have to wear down the beasts you battle. In most of my playing of this game I rarely run out of stamina except when using the Bow.

My biggest issue with the game is the complete and utter lack of a pause button. Everything respawns, stuff you killed could just respawn, or another beast in the game could just wander to your location if you go AFK to use the bathroom and your being attacked when you get back. I am not thrilled about, after the quest is done, a timer comes up that will whisk you away, sometimes other minor creatures are surrounding you so you have to take care of them before you can loot the monster you just took down, but you got 60 seconds to take them all out and gather the materials. It was very tight in some situations. It would be all but impossible if a big beast came in and interrupted you at the end, but thankfully that hasn't happened to me yet. During expeditions, you can have a dying monster on the run and poof they disappear off the map, that is not a fun thing to happen and it has happened 3-4x to me now and with each fight going anywhere from 8-20 minutes that is a real big annoyance to fight them and get nothing.

Still overall I love the game. I was hesitant to get it but for some reason I am just really into it.

12. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 16:17 Cutter

saluk wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 13:46:
Game is hard and I suck at it. It must be a bad game.

Though I think that you should be able to refund after 4 or 5 hours for a game like this that takes time to get your bearings.

That's the thing. For a lot of game 2 hours is barely getting it all set up properly and just starting out. No real idea if you're going to end up liking it or not by that point.

After watching it in a few feeds on Twitch for 15 mins I knew it wasn't my cup of tea.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

11. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 15:43 OpticNerve

Darks wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 14:52:
As usual, you are one of those idiots thats talking out of his ass.

First off, ESO you dont have to use Stamina as an attack. Magic off sets that and is a hell of a lot better for combat and being able to dodge out of the way. unlike this bullshit where the Stamina pool is so fucking low it runs dry after a few shots.

Again, you are assuming EVERYONE uses the fucking left side of the keyboard. I didnt say that you couldn't rebind keys. I said its the manner in which they are forcing the bindings. like how you draw your weapon and targeting. its so stupid. one key could have accomplish this, but no, they make you jump thorough several keys to get it done. Enough said. shut the fuck up moron!

Stamina usage also varies depending on what certain weapon you're using. Dual Blades' Archdemon mode is specifically aimed at quickly re-genning stamina in-between your use of Demon mode (since this mode uses up a lot of stamina per attack for a massive increase in damage).

Part of the appeal of the Monster Hunter games is that you can gear and buff up in various ways to fit different weapon play-styles and when fighting certain monsters. In the same way that the Dark Souls games rely on timing, positioning and stamina management, Monster Hunter does the same thing with its methodical combat gameplay. Otherwise, it would turn into a spammy combat system where you can do a bazillion-hit combos like the Devil May Cry games.

It's not for everyone though and I will admit that it took me a while to get used to a similar stamina-heavy combat system like in the Dark Souls games. But after playing that series for years, it's imo the best kind of third-person combat system since it isn't just a mindless spam-fest. So I'm personally glad that Monster Hunter: World is similar in that regard.

10. removed Aug 13, 2018, 14:52 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 13, 2018, 17:31.

9. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 14:36 Zyrxil

Apparently no one knows. Tencent had gotten the necessary permits, and then it was forced to be pulled without explanation from the government, which is freaking a bunch of publishers out. It's still on sale on Steam in China though.  

8. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 14:28 Kxmode

reports that the PC version was permanently removed from WeGame in China by Tencent after complaints that it is "not fully comply with relevant regulatory and policy requirements."

It's a game about fighting huge monsters. How does the game itself not comply with China's hyper-sensitive requirements?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

7. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 13:46 saluk

Game is hard and I suck at it. It must be a bad game.

Though I think that you should be able to refund after 4 or 5 hours for a game like this that takes time to get your bearings.

6. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 13:41 Zyrxil

I'm playing with completely custom key bindings. There aren't any locked keys, at least on keyboard. I have no idea what the other guy is talking about.  

5. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 13:08 Kalthorn

I don't own MHW and have only played a few hours of a previous title, but I'm pretty sure the movement speed and stamina mechanics aren't dumb gameplay mistakes. My understanding is that they allow/demand a more thoughtful pace that rewards planning and detail.

Not being able to rebind keys is pretty rough though.

4. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 12:57 Zyrxil

Really, of all the things you can complain about, you're gonna complain about the game mechanics? This is like the 16th Monster Hunter game.
#1, don't complain if you're going in super blind on something like this where you have plenty of opportunity to check out the gameplay style beforehand.

#2, having stamina for both active attack and defense is a very common gameplay mechanic, used to force the player to act strategically. It's present in the Elder Scrolls games and the Dark Souls games for example.

Legitimate complaints are the ones about how it could really run better for the level of graphics, and the multiplayer party finding is still very clunky.

3. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 12:49 Darks

Frijoles wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 12:39:
Not too impressed with the game. I'd refund it if I were not past the two hours. I planned for a grind going in, but I didn't think it'd be at the same level as an MMO grind (or worse).

Belive me, I would If I could. Dont get me wrong. I do like the game and what its about. But theirs are a lot of things to hate too.

Stupid ass Capcom, why would they handicap you like that. Its so ridiculous. It takes a lot of the fun out of the game because of this lame decision.

Plus, Its also been hard to find anyone on to join your game to do these quest. And if someone hasn't seen all of the cut scenes, you cant joining their game or they cant join yours because of this stupid decision to tie in a cut scenes to joining Coop games.

And yes, this game does suffer from Portitius. Bad key bindings and some head scratching issues with why they did what they did with some of the ways they force key bindings.

Yea, I wish I could refund this. but I got mine off GMG so its not refundable.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo