Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales

Yesterday's launch of MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD on Steam has proven to be a monster success. A post on Steam Charts says the game had 290K players at peak, and USgamer says this makes it the biggest Steam launch of the year, CAPCOM's most successful PC launch, and the biggest launch of a Japanese game in Steam history. In fact, it's not even close, as they say the previous record-holder was the 2016 release of Dark Souls 3 which attracted 129,831 upon launch.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Game Reviews Aug 11, 2018, 08:15 peteham

Bought it and played it for a few hours with some friends (or rather tried to, the lobby/party system is atrocious) and I absolutely hate it so far heh. It's a combination of being bored and overwhelmed by all the shit you need to collect. I've been told MH is like that for everyone at first and you have to persevere until it "clicks", but I'm too old and jaded to go through 5+ hours or intense boredom when I could be doing other things with my time. This game just isn't for me I think.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 20:07 Quinn

Thanks OpticNerve! It doesn't sound like my kind of game. I'm with Cutter on this one. To each their own =)  

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

14. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 19:52 Darks

intermarer wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 14:25:
I bought it, but refunded because of *horrible* controls and camera.

The controls are not horrible, you just didn't learn how to master them. Its not that harder then most other games like this.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

13. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 18:40 Cutter

Kobalt wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 15:59:
Quinn wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 13:46:
Running around killing big monsters so you gain loot to kill other big monsters. I am honestly so confused about why this is such a success. I need a new game... so I'd love to try this... but... but... it just seems so fucking shallow? :\

Killing monsters for loot kind of describes most rpgs ever made. It's actually a very complex game.

Except that it's not. A good RPG is all about story first and foremost. It's about actions and consequences. The phat lewt is just the icing on the cake. This is, as far as I can tell, yet another hamster wheel game where there's no story or consequences just killing mobs for loot. They may do it in a cool way but at the end of the day it's nothing but gussied up grind. For some people that works. I'll probably give this game a whirl when it hits the $20 or less category in a year or two but that's as far as I'd go on this type of game.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

12. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 18:14 OpticNerve

Quinn wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 16:00:
Prez wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 14:38:
Running around killing big monsters so you gain loot to kill other big monsters. I am honestly so confused about why this is such a success. I need a new game... so I'd love to try this... but... but... it just seems so fucking shallow? :\

That's the gameplay loop of virtually every Action RPG in existence. It's got a lot of fans, me included.

Yeah sure but isn't every quest "kill this beast" and isn't every map just jungles and charred lava landscape? I'm genuinely confused. If it wasn't so goddamn expensive on Steam I'd have bought it for the 2 hours trial time...

For me, it's a bit more involved than just randomly killing a monster since it also involves you (or your teammates) tracking them down via footprints or other clues, possibly chasing it (if they flee when they're too hurt), trapping it and using various strategies to take it down or to capture it. That is a big part of the appeal for me since it's a lot of fun working together with friends in co-op to hunt down behemoths.

Granted, it ultimately boils down to smacking the crap out of a monster and getting materials to get better gear, but each monster has it's own strategy, weaknesses, and strengths that's required to overcome to take them down. It also becomes a bit more complicated when you have the chance of another monster who charges in to fight your target monster and now you have to figure out how to deal with two gigantic creatures duking it out and you're stuck in the middle. Unlike with Dauntless, there's an ecosystem in the map and things often get a bit more complicated when you have other big and small creatures that can hinder you, are hostile to you or help you in your hunt.

Also the map gets a bit more varied when you progress through the storyline or by discovering areas. It starts off in the jungle but eventually you unlock sections of the map that are in the desert, tundra, etc. to fast-travel to.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea but maybe there's a "Let's Play" youtube floating around with friends playing together that would give you a good representation of how the game plays. Finding a video of friends just casually doing a hunt would be a lot more indicative of the game than some try-hard who's already beat the console version and can defeat all the behemoths solo without taking a hit.

(Edit: found one of a pair who just started co-op. Naturally they're pretty bad but it does show off a bit of how the gameplay works and how unpredictable and chaotic things can get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6nh4Qxyx48 )

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

11. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 18:07 saluk

That's the beauty of it. Instead of pretending that there is more going on in the game than that core gameplay loop, the monster hunter designers went "fuck everything else" and just made that loop as good as it can ever be done.

Some of the weird choices the designers made start to make sense the more you play. For one example, the environments are all kind of the same. This means that you actually learn how to get around the environments better. When you are facing a new monster, you will have learned skills facing previous critters in that environment, and can apply your knowledge to the new scenario.

It's a bit more like a roguelike in a way. Instead of going somewhere new, you are heading into a familiar setting on each run - but different things will happen and you have to learn how to react to whatever new challenges your current target will throw at you.

The frame is simple but the gameplay has depth (it would have to for people to play the same game over and over for 1000s of hours each)

10. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 17:54 Quinn

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 17:47:

Ok gonna play the asshole here for a min.

If you think it's just a go up whack monsters and repeat, then you sir are the shallow one.

Go watch some clips/streams and take a look at the weapons sets in the game.

I'm not trying to have a debate here, mate, where you're saying the game is great and I'm saying it sucks because of X and Y. I haven't played the game. Maybe I'm just very clumsy in the way I'm asking people to convince me why this game is more than the impression I get from the footage I've seen ^^

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

9. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 17:47 The Half Elf

Ok gonna play the asshole here for a min.

If you think it's just a go up whack monsters and repeat, then you sir are the shallow one.

Go watch some clips/streams and take a look at the weapons sets in the game.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

8. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 16:00 Quinn

Prez wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 14:38:

That's the gameplay loop of virtually every Action RPG in existence. It's got a lot of fans, me included.

Yeah sure but isn't every quest "kill this beast" and isn't every map just jungles and charred lava landscape? I'm genuinely confused. If it wasn't so goddamn expensive on Steam I'd have bought it for the 2 hours trial time.

I'm not critizising the game. I'm just seeing gameplay vids and it looks like you've seen everything in an hour or two. But the enthusiasm about this game tells me there's more to it. Is this game like those certain beautiful women that somehow aren't photogenic?

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2018, 17:52.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

7. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 15:59 Kobalt

Killing monsters for loot kind of describes most rpgs ever made. It's actually a very complex game.

6. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 15:30 Rhett

I was excited, but the unskippable cutscenes, the forced motion blur, and the general performance issues I've seen people having have put me off from it... That, and the core gameplay loop sounds weirdly linear. Same reason why I hated Dauntless, but I understand this game's much more in-depth.

And I'd want to solo everything, or maybe two-man, and I feel like at some point I'd be forced into finding other people to play with?

5. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 14:38 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 14:25 intermarer

I bought it, but refunded because of *horrible* controls and camera.  

3. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 13:46 Quinn

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

2. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 13:31 Prez

That's pretty awesome news. Japanese publishers are taking note of the PC market and being rewarded for their efforts, which is great.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 11:51 MT Silver

Sigh... I miss SteamSpy. I want more accurate numbers than these.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo