Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: etc., etc. Aug 10, 2018, 23:38 MeanJim

NKD wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 13:50:
Does Denuvo have any phone-home that can break? I don't recall hearing that it does but I don't pay much attention.

Denuvo can't work without phoning home. It has to phone home to verify the game's exe periodically. The time between phoning home is set by the publisher though. It can be either every X number of launches, or time based, like checking once a day/week/month, etc. Hardware and OS changes also force a phone home check, and even Windows updates cause it to phone home. If you happen to not have internet when this check is required, you get an error and the game won't launch.

That is what happened to me for the first and last Denuvo infected game I bought. I bought Deus Ex: Mankind Divided at launch to have something new to play on my newly built PC. Shortly after, some storms damaged my ISP's equipment leaving me without internet for a few days, and I got that error when I tried to play it.

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 11:25:
I think the difference is in the intrusiveness or lack thereof. You literally can not tell whether a game has Denuvo or not. It is not even DRM actually. It is anti-tamper. It just sits there and guards the executable against tampering.
Unless you specifically look it up online, you'd never know if a game even comes with Denuvo or not.

You can tell. If it's a single player and you block it with a firewall or try to play the game without an internet connection, it will give an error because it can't connect to the Denuvo server and verify that the exe hasn't been tampered with.

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 11:25:
The real DRM that people used to be pissed off about was much more intrusive and people claimed it "made you jump through hoops" (even if there was just a one-click online activation but whatever...).
You had to have the disc in the drive, you had to register an account and irrevocably tie your game to that account (Steam/Origin/uPlay etc.) DRM or activate a game online by connecting to the publisher's activation servers, you had machine installation/activation limits, yada, yada, yada...

Denuvo is in that category. A single player game should never require an internet connection. Having Denuvo in the game means it requires an internet connection. If your internet goes out or Denuvo goes down, the game quits working.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: etc., etc. Aug 10, 2018, 13:50 NKD

Does Denuvo have any phone-home that can break? I don't recall hearing that it does but I don't pay much attention.  

Doors and corners, kid. Doors and corners.

10. Re: etc., etc. Aug 10, 2018, 11:25 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 00:24:
I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other, to me DRM is just invisible most of the time anyway. I do find it amusing how anti-DRM Blue's used to be and now everyone's in favor of putting as much DRM on as possible as long as it keeps cheapskates from getting free games.

I guess the industry wore customers down to the point where it's just accepted now?

I think the difference is in the intrusiveness or lack thereof. You literally can not tell whether a game has Denuvo or not. It is not even DRM actually. It is anti-tamper. It just sits there and guards the executable against tampering.
Unless you specifically look it up online, you'd never know if a game even comes with Denuvo or not.

The real DRM that people used to be pissed off about was much more intrusive and people claimed it "made you jump through hoops" (even if there was just a one-click online activation but whatever...).
You had to have the disc in the drive, you had to register an account and irrevocably tie your game to that account (Steam/Origin/uPlay etc.) DRM or activate a game online by connecting to the publisher's activation servers, you had machine installation/activation limits, yada, yada, yada...

The acceptance is higher because of the way Denuvo works but there is still a VERY vocal minority who like to act as if Denuvo is on the same level as virtual torture or something.

That's not surprising though. Piracy is a huge market all by itself. The pirates are pretty pissed off about how effective Denuvo is so they try to make up all kinds of shit to spread FUD about SSD degradation or performance issues, all of which has been proven to be complete beeeeeewwwllllshhhheeeet.

9. Re: etc., etc. Aug 10, 2018, 08:24 Burrito of Peace

At least it's not Starforce.  

8. Re: etc., etc. Aug 10, 2018, 00:24 NKD

I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other, to me DRM is just invisible most of the time anyway. I do find it amusing how anti-DRM Blue's used to be and now everyone's in favor of putting as much DRM on as possible as long as it keeps cheapskates from getting free games.

I guess the industry wore customers down to the point where it's just accepted now?

7. Re: etc., etc. Aug 9, 2018, 21:05 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 19:38:
TLDW
Most of the time it's w/in the margin of error.

It's pretty consistently a small improvement. Each time is within the error of margin, but if that's all it was I would expect with-Denuvo to do better more often. Denuvo causing a small performance hit makes sense, unlike some of the scary reports from very unreliable sources - I don't trust pirates or publishers.

Of course I'd rather have slightly better performance but these figures don't bother me much (particularly as they tried to cause a CPU bottleneck that I wouldn't have). I'm much more worried about compatibility issues and rootkits and the like - how does Denuvo stack up in this regard?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

6. Re: etc., etc. Aug 9, 2018, 21:02 RedEye9

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 20:56:
NKD wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 20:36:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 20:17:
Denuvo rocks. Fuck the scummy stealing little pirate fuckfaces with a hot metal rod.

Denuvo games get cracked more easily these days. Not worth the licensing fee and bad PR imo, whatever it is.

Bullshit. If the game is not cracked on release day it is already a HUGE WIN. Every single day afterwards counts. Denuvo games usually don't get cracked until several weeks or even months after release which is a GIGANTIC EPIC MEGA LULZ WIN for the publishers.

Of course the thieving fuckdicks see it differently but it is always so sweet to listen to this sound...

*plop*

... ya hear that?...

*plop*

^ the sound of another busted Denuvo myth bubble. Every single myth like SSD degradation or performance issues that the pro-piracy pro-stealing pro-thieving pro-asshole anti-Denuvo camp of fucksticks has attempted to spread so far has turned out to be BIG FAT LIES.

Fuck the pirate scum. Fucking thieving assholes.
Damnit!!1! It feels dirty to agree with CJ but I'll get over it.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/

5. Re: etc., etc. Aug 9, 2018, 20:56 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 20:36:
Denuvo rocks. Fuck the scummy stealing little pirate fuckfaces with a hot metal rod.

Denuvo games get cracked more easily these days. Not worth the licensing fee and bad PR imo, whatever it is.

Bullshit. If the game is not cracked on release day it is already a HUGE WIN. Every single day afterwards counts. Denuvo games usually don't get cracked until several weeks or even months after release which is a GIGANTIC EPIC MEGA LULZ WIN for the publishers.

Of course the thieving fuckdicks see it differently but it is always so sweet to listen to this sound...

*plop*

... ya hear that?...

*plop*

^ the sound of another busted Denuvo myth bubble. Every single myth like SSD degradation or performance issues that the pro-piracy pro-stealing pro-thieving pro-asshole anti-Denuvo camp of fucksticks has attempted to spread so far has turned out to be BIG FAT LIES.

Fuck the pirate scum. Fucking thieving assholes.

4. Re: etc., etc. Aug 9, 2018, 20:36 NKD

3. Re: etc., etc. Aug 9, 2018, 20:17 CJ_Parker

2. Re: etc., etc. Aug 9, 2018, 19:46 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 19:38:
TLDW

Unless in case of Monster Hunter

https://segmentnext.com/2018/08/09/monster-hunter-world-pc-por-mess-denuvo/

This is surprising since Monster Hunter World’s official system requirements demand a 3rd-gen Intel Core i7-3770 CPU, which according to the report isn’t capable of running the game at all.

TIL: Latest Denuvo forces FMA3 instructions and 3rd gen Intel CPU's (I7-3***) don't support em. While the publisher lied about the specs. Neat ,)

BTW.: They stealth changed the specs after release, which is a violation of the steam TOS too. Fun all around

1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 9, 2018, 19:38 RedEye9

TLDW

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo