Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight Frontiers Announced

Perfect World Entertainment announces Torchlight Frontiers, saying the new installment in the Torchlight series will be a shared world experience for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. Taking the action/RPG online seems like a natural move, especially considering Perfect World's MMORPG roots. Development is being handled by Echtra Games led by Max Schaefer, co-founder of Blizzard North and original Torchlight developer Runic Games (not to mention Flagship Studios, which is always better when it's not mentioned). The Torchlight Frontiers Website is accepting applications for beta testing, and offers this trailer with a look at what to expect. Here's the announcement:

Today, Perfect World Entertainment, Inc., a leading publisher of live service games, announced its newest development studio, Echtra Games, Inc., is working on the next iteration of the award-winning Torchlight series: Torchlight Frontiers. Set in the same beloved Torchlight universe from Torchlight I and II, this shared-world action-RPG brings back many of the franchise’s signature features and mechanics that captured the hearts of ARPG fans around the world. Led by former Runic Games and Blizzard North co-founder, Max Schaefer, the team developing Torchlight Frontiers is comprised of veteran developers who were responsible for the games that defined the ARPG genre, including the original Diablo and Torchlight franchises. Torchlight Frontiers will be available on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation®4.

“Perfect World Entertainment has had a strong working relationship with Max Schaefer, dating back to the original Torchlight game, and we believe in his vision to evolve the Torchlight series,” said Yoon Im, senior vice president of publishing at Perfect World Entertainment. “Max has put together an all-star team of developers, and we continue to be amazed by the sheer level of talent and wealth of experience that they bring to Torchlight Frontiers. We’re proud to have Echtra Games as a part of the company.”

“Evolving the Torchlight universe into a shared world has always been a goal for the franchise, and I’m excited that we’re finally able to make it a reality,” said Max Schaefer, CEO of Echtra Games. “Torchlight Frontiers will be a living, breathing universe that will still feel uniquely Torchlight, while we add our own creative spin to the game. The team is building something truly special, and we can’t wait for fans to play it for the first time at Gamescom and PAX West.”

Torchlight Frontiers combines the heart of the beloved Torchlight series with a shared, persistent and dynamically generated world. In true Torchlight style, players will team up with friends and devoted pets to hack and slack their way through a vibrant world, discover ancient ruins of lost civilizations and brave dungeons filled with riches and dangerous creatures. Additional details about Torchlight Frontiers will be revealed at a later date.

Torchlight Frontiers is headed to Gamescom and PAX West! Show attendees can be among the first to play an early demo of the game and meet the Echtra Games developers by visiting the Perfect World Entertainment booths at Gamescom in Germany (Hall 8, Booth# B41) from August 21 – 25 and PAX West in Seattle (Booth # 1115) from August 31 – September 3.

Learn more about Torchlight Frontiers at TorchlightFrontiers.com. Follow the game on Twitter (@PlayTorchlight) and Facebook.com/PlayTorchlight for the latest updates.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 10, 2018, 07:21 Jonjonz

Perfect World, one of the most egregious pay to win MMOs ever.

I shudder to think what they will do to this title.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 10, 2018, 00:35 Kxmode

Runic isn't making this game though. So what is it?  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

11. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 9, 2018, 22:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

Oh yeah, the original Torchlight developers, Runic Games, went under after Hob didn't do as well as planned. This is a terrible reminder.

Torchlight 1 and 2 were great, I shudder to think what this will turn into as some sort of microtransaction MMO.

10. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 9, 2018, 21:49 Jivaro

Sounds like something I would be willing to give a go.  

9. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 9, 2018, 15:59 eRe4s3r

El Pit wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 13:33:
I enjoyed Torchlight 1/2 MUCH more than Diablo 3. MUCH, MUCH more.

I enjoyed TL1 and absolutely detested TL2... so yeah, I think game wise D3 patch 2.0+ is vastly superior.

8. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 9, 2018, 15:35 HoSpanky

I agree with ItBurn’s list of flaws. I had an engineer or whatever you can do that has a parade of critters with him. Boosting a skill made no discernible difference, and that’s pretty unfortunate. Weapons do barely more damage even when they’re 10 levels higher than the previous one.

The wife and I played to the third or 4th world, stopped because something else got our attention, and we never returned. And I don’t feel like I missed anything, which is the most damning thing I can say about it. At least with Diablo 3 I wanted to see the cutscenes and how the story ended.

7. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 9, 2018, 13:54 ItBurn

chickenboo wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 13:32:
Cram wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 11:49:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 11:36:
Torchlight 2 is a terrible game. We just replayed it and gave it a fair chance, but after a while we just alt+f4'ed out of the game never to return. Because of that, I'm not too excited about this... They better have learned from their mistakes and competition.

I still go back and play Torchlight 1 with a few mods from time to time. Really enjoy that game, the music etc. However, agreed with you on Torchlight 2. I beat the game once, at launch, and I was done. I have tried playing it a couple times since then and can't even get past the first couple hours before giving up.

Torchlight 2 is an excellent game. Steam reports I have 151 hours logged in Torchlight 2, most of that played with mods to overhaul skills, items, and enemies. Still working towards level 100 with my Engineer and he's about level 85 or something now, so a ways to go yet. TL2 scratches my Diablo 2 itch, and the core designers behind Diablo 2 were the designers behind TL2. The musician too. And the art style holds up, but I know that doesn't jibe with everyone.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this new title, but if it deviates too much from the tried and true hack-and-slash backbone of the other two games in the series, I'll give it a pass.

I loved Fate and Torchlight 1, but 2 has serious flaws and the mods I've played don't fix them. While this is still fresh in my memory, the main problems are (don't be mad, it's just my opinion):
- Visibility during action is terrible.
- You pickup items you've filtered out unknowingly and your inventory fills up with crap you don't want
- There's too much loot being dropped and too many decisions to be made about what to equip. It's a time sink.
- The skills are incredibly boring, and you won't want to use any of them. This can't be understated. I mean, doing an action RPG where the most important thing, skills, suck isn't a good idea...
- Leveling skills is extremely slow because you need to gain 4-5 levels to put a single extra point in them. You're left accumulating points that you don't spend because you don't use the other shitty skills anyway.
- Leveling skills barely improves them and power progression is slow in general.
- Almost everything is extremely generic and the game fails to capture you with the story.

6. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 9, 2018, 13:33 El Pit

I enjoyed Torchlight 1/2 MUCH more than Diablo 3. MUCH, MUCH more.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

5. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 9, 2018, 13:32 chickenboo

Cram wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 11:49:
Torchlight 2 is a terrible game. We just replayed it and gave it a fair chance, but after a while we just alt+f4'ed out of the game never to return. Because of that, I'm not too excited about this... They better have learned from their mistakes and competition.

I still go back and play Torchlight 1 with a few mods from time to time. Really enjoy that game, the music etc. However, agreed with you on Torchlight 2. I beat the game once, at launch, and I was done. I have tried playing it a couple times since then and can't even get past the first couple hours before giving up.

Torchlight 2 is an excellent game. Steam reports I have 151 hours logged in Torchlight 2, most of that played with mods to overhaul skills, items, and enemies. Still working towards level 100 with my Engineer and he's about level 85 or something now, so a ways to go yet. TL2 scratches my Diablo 2 itch, and the core designers behind Diablo 2 were the designers behind TL2. The musician too. And the art style holds up, but I know that doesn't jibe with everyone.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this new title, but if it deviates too much from the tried and true hack-and-slash backbone of the other two games in the series, I'll give it a pass.

4. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 9, 2018, 12:23 Pepe

I like the visual style, now to see if it is any good.  

3. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 9, 2018, 11:49 Cram

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2018, 11:59.

2. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 9, 2018, 11:36 ItBurn

1. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Announced Aug 9, 2018, 11:07 Darks

This most certainly means a pay to win game now.

Perfect Wold, they are notorious for gouging players.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo