Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The good news is that getting out earlier to walk the Gunnar-man and his besty Jedi is working out quite well. We manage to get done before the real heat of the day sets in, and there are extra chances to socialize with other early walkers. The bad news is that we've been on such a roll with oppressive heat and humidity lately that it's been quite a while since we've been able to take a second walk later in the day. A glance at the forecast suggests this isn't going to change any time soon, I'm concerned that our daily exercise, minimal as it is, has been effectively halved. If this doesn't change I may have to enroll the myself and the doggies in a spin class, or pilates, or something.

Exercised Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Cows corner fleeing suspect in Florida field, help police make arrest.
Johnny Depp's Notorious B.I.G. Movie 'City of Lies' Pulled a Month Before Release. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Mount Everest poop: Former climber wants to use biogas digester to get rid of fecal matter.
These docile foxes may hold some of the genetic keys to domestication. Thanks RedEye9.
Italy's U-turn on vaccination shocks scientists.
Media: How to remove moles (Possibly a little unethical...).
Great white shark breaches water below boat. Thanks RedEye9.
Nut Milking EXPOSED!.
Follow-up: Will Martian colonists need to be bioengineered?
The Funnies: Introvert doodles. I have 'em all but the Oprah kind.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2018, 14:34 jdreyer

I thought that nut milking video was genius. Perfectly played.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2018, 08:04 Redmask

Maybe if you harass him some more you can make your first friend Biting

AWWWWWW so cute.

Crowngrin Cowboy Guitarist

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 20:05 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 19:51:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 16:23:
It's not uncommon for people to place an order, cancel it, then order again.
It's not? How do you know that? I've never done it. I said it was a fail by Amazon, but your stance of never order expensive tech from Amazon, is a total over-reaction. Whatever. We'll have to agree to disagree.
As jdreyer put it "over the top"

synonyms: excessive, immoderate, inordinate, extreme, exaggerated, extravagant, overblown, too much, unreasonable, hyperbolic, disproportionate, undue, unwarranted, uncalled for, unnecessary, going too far
So many to chose from so I'll just have to go with all of the above.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 19:51 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 16:23:
It's not uncommon for people to place an order, cancel it, then order again.
It's not? How do you know that? I've never done it. I said it was a fail by Amazon, but your stance of never order expensive tech from Amazon, is a total over-reaction. Whatever. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 18:04 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 17:13:
What part of "triggering" fraud prevention don't you understand.

Read comment 22. We're not going to argue about this. This is literally a trivial matter.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 17:13 RedEye9

Kxmode wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 16:32:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 14:50:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 18:56:
Perfect storm shenanigans
And you're sure that this applies specifically just to tech orders? Seems like this would apply in general. I guess I'm wondering why you are calling out tech orders specifically.

Yes. The rep told me Amazon requires verification on technology orders over $500. This insight begs the question: Can Amazon guarantee 2-day Prime shipping on tech orders over $500 when the verification process alone can take up to 12-hours? In a situation like mine, the answer is No. Perhaps it is Yes with other orders.
What part of "triggering" fraud prevention don't you understand.

The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 16:35 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 11:14:
You will never be able to convince him that he played a part in this incident. While the rest of the wor!d orders millions of dollars of technology parts and pc's, 1000 dollars at a time, the Kxmode will stay confused and comboozled stuck in CrUsAdE mode.

Dude? Seriously? That's just mean-spirited.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 16:32 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 14:50:
And you're sure that this applies specifically just to tech orders? Seems like this would apply in general. I guess I'm wondering why you are calling out tech orders specifically.

Yes. The rep told me Amazon requires verification on technology orders over $500. This insight begs the question: Can Amazon guarantee 2-day Prime shipping on tech orders over $500 when the verification process alone can take up to 12-hours? In a situation like mine, the answer is No. Perhaps it is Yes with other orders.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 16:23 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 07:40:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 00:36:
2 hours. That's how long it took to drive to Fry's, pick up the tablet and keyboard, and drive home. Massive fail on Amazon's part. The largest E-commerce site could not handle a simple technology purchase.
While I agree it was a fail by Amazon I think you are being a little harsh on them. It wasn't a simple purchase, you did do something a bit odd, and the policies which were triggered are designed to prevent fraud and protect you. There is no doubt they messed up. But I think it wasn't without a little help from you.

I like that they protected me, and yes I contributed to the Amazon's AI being over-protective. However, Amazon's AI "broke" down after it locked my account and wiped out my information. That's on Amazon, not me. It's not harsh to expect a company as big and profitable as Amazon to not have their AI get to a state where orders fall into black holes. In other words, both the rep and I could see the order, but those responsible for verifying did not. I'm pretty sure what I did is not an edge case. It's not uncommon for people to place an order, cancel it, then order again. Amazon could, for the sake of preventing their AI from flipping out, provide a way to change the shipping method on an order that hasn't yet shipped.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2018, 16:41.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 14:55 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 18:51:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 14:28:
Yeah, it's not like they're the largest retailer in history, and their CEO and founder is the richest man in the world. They'll probably be in receivership by this time next year.

They still fuck up orders champ, you just don't like that poster. Amazon treats its employees poorly and largely built its early momentum by dodging sales taxes as long as possible. I can think of many responsible corporations worth defending but Amazon is not one of them.
Wasn't defending Amazon, just pointing out that they must be doing things right to get where they are. Trying to point out that Kx was being a bit over the top.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 14:50 jdreyer

jdreyer wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 14:28:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 13:42:
Day 2. Amazon still hasn't verified my order.

Update: I've canceled the order. The rep stated the department responsible for verifying orders never received the order. So the conclusion I can draw from this is Amazon's AI messed up my order because of a series of "unfortunate" actions that triggered a negative behavior. Moral of the story: don't buy technology over $500 from Amazon because Amazon's technology is lame.

Yeah, it's not like they're the largest retailer in history, and their CEO and founder is the richest man in the world. They'll probably be in receivership by this time next year.

Exactly! I said that to the rep in a respectful way knowing they work for a foreign call center employed by Amazon. The person was just as confused by what Amazon did as much as I was. As a remedy, the rep gave me a $30 Amazon gift card to use for anything I want on the site. So that was cool. I definitely won't be using it for technology that's for sure.

If you buy tech from Amazon be mindful that your order can get royally messed up. Here are the known triggers that caused "self-destructive" behavior in Amazon's AI.

+ Order technology over $500
+ Order and immediately cancel the order
+ Order the same items again with the same credit card
+ Order items with a credit card you've never used on Amazon
+ Ordering the same items on the same credit card after Amazon's AI locked your account, wipes your billing and shipping order, and then unlocked the account

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 13:27 Beamer

Half Elf can discuss the FCs better than any of us, but nothing bothered me more than when they were making employees go through lengthy security lines after they clocked out. If you're making your employee do something, it's on your time, not theirs.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 13:07 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 12:24:
Ignore the troll, everyone else does. Amazon is pretty good when everything goes well and awful when it doesn't. Their tech support has gotten worse over the past few years and they are less likely to give a shit about compensating you over problems on their end since their big push to actual profits began.

I actually cancelled Prime this year because I just didn't find it worthwhile anymore. Watching that documentary on Youtube about their employee policies was pretty eye opening too. I didn't realize Bezos ran the place like the fucking Hunger Games.

I feel a lot of warehouse and assembly line operations end up that way when there's no union involved. You get one upper management guy who gets lean manufacturing, Six Sigma or 5S in their head and then all your workers are treated like disposable cogs.

But while I don't know about Amazon's tech support, their customer support hasn't really done wrong by me yet. I've submitted one or two issues a year and every time they've just sent me a free replacement product, no questions asked. One time they emailed me to tell me my product was lost in transit, and when I contacted them they sent me a free replacement; the "lost" product showed up the next day and they told me to keep it.

Redmask wrote:
Dodging state and federal taxes for years, no problem because Apple does it rite? Rationalization is so convenient. BUY MOAR GOODS, bwhaha.

What people are getting at is that no one really dodges state sales taxes. Federal corporate income taxes, yes. State, not so much.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 12:24 Verno

2 hours. That's how long it took to drive to Fry's, pick up the tablet and keyboard, and drive home. Massive fail on Amazon's part. The largest E-commerce site could not handle a simple technology purchase.

Ignore the troll, everyone else does. Amazon is pretty good when everything goes well and awful when it doesn't. Their tech support has gotten worse over the past few years and they are less likely to give a shit about compensating you over problems on their end since their big push to actual profits began.

I actually cancelled Prime this year because I just didn't find it worthwhile anymore. Watching that documentary on Youtube about their employee policies was pretty eye opening too. I didn't realize Bezos ran the place like the fucking Hunger Games.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 11:14 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 07:40:
While I agree it was a fail by Amazon I think you are being a little harsh on them. It wasn't a simple purchase, you did do something a bit odd and the policies which were triggered are designed to prevent fraud and protect you. There is no doubt they messed up. But I think it wasn't without a little help from you.
You will never be able to convince him that he played a part in this incident. While the rest of the wor!d orders millions of dollars of technology parts and pc's, 1000 dollars at a time, the Kxmode will stay confused and comboozled stuck in CrUsAdE mode.

The game’s afoot.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 09:21 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 07:57:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 19:58:
Son, you don't have a clue. jdreyer likes Kxmode, so much so that he worries about him. jdreyer is not defending amazon.

As for Amazon and taxes, they followed the letter of the law doing what any good business would do. Get a grip.
Nothing to see here.

He should spare some concern for you getting some sun once in awhile, damn dude.

Yeah sure Amazon, the company who kept ambulances on standby rather than fix a cooling system, is just doing what any good business would do. Dodging state and federal taxes for years, no problem because Apple does it rite? Rationalization is so convenient. BUY MOAR GOODS, bwhaha.

They didn't "dodge" state taxes, they weren't required to pay them. Whenever I say taxes should be higher on the wealthy, people always tell me I'm free to overpay if I'd like (which isn't really true, they refund.) It's the rules that need to change. You can't show me a single entity that pays more taxes than it needs to.

Which isn't saying that the ambulance thing isn't greedy and wrong, but that has nothing to do with the tax situation. A better comparison would be them playing asshole hardball with Seattle over taxes.

And this all boils down to why I think we shouldn't have corporate taxes. It just ends up causing businesses to make dumb or frustrating decisions to avoid taxes, and leads to a shit ton of lobbying. Better to find other places to tax, like individual income, again, on a marginal scale, so those at the bottom have literally no change. Ideally, what businesses save on taxes they invest back into more jobs and higher wages for all. More likely, they funnel it back to shareholders and CEOs, which is why those people had their taxes raised by the gross amount the corporation had its lowered.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 07:57 Redmask

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 19:58:
Son, you don't have a clue. jdreyer likes Kxmode, so much so that he worries about him. jdreyer is not defending amazon.

As for Amazon and taxes, they followed the letter of the law doing what any good business would do. Get a grip.
Nothing to see here.

He should spare some concern for you getting some sun once in awhile, damn dude.

Yeah sure Amazon, the company who kept ambulances on standby rather than fix a cooling system, is just doing what any good business would do. Dodging state and federal taxes for years, no problem because Apple does it rite? Rationalization is so convenient. BUY MOAR GOODS, bwhaha.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 07:40 Mr. Tact

While I agree it was a fail by Amazon I think you are being a little harsh on them. It wasn't a simple purchase, you did do something a bit odd and the policies which were triggered are designed to prevent fraud and protect you. There is no doubt they messed up. But I think it wasn't without a little help from you.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 04:02 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 10:29:
A better great white video leaves newscasters aghast.

"Never get out of the cage."

I76 reference for all you oldtimers out there.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 00:36 Kxmode

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo