Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend

Bethesda announces they are celebrating this weekend's QuakeCon 2018 with a free weekend for The Elder Scrolls Online that coincides with a sale on the MMORPG. Word is there will also be Twitch drops to be earned for watching the keynote on Friday. Here are the details:
FREE PLAY EVENT
Starting Thursday, August 9 at 10:00AM EDT, you can play The Elder Scrolls Online free on all platforms (PC/Mac, PlayStation®4, and Xbox One). Once the event starts, visit our Free Play page and select your platform of choice. You’ll be able to enjoy the ESO base game AND the Vvardenfell zone completely free until Wednesday, August 15 at 10:00AM EDT.

Note that you will not need PlayStation®Plus if playing on PlayStation®4 in order to download and participate in the event.

With the ESO base game, you’ll be able to explore Tamriel, reclaim your soul in an epic main story, and fight in a massive open-world PvP zone. For the first time, the Vvardenfell zone will also be available during the free play event, allowing you to visit the island home of the Dark Elves to help a god regain his lost power. If you already own the ESO base game, you’ll be able to enjoy access to the Vvardenfell zone during the event period, too!

ESO & CROWN PACKS ON SALE
Starting today and running for the duration of QuakeCon 2018, select Crown Packs, The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset (including Digital Collector’s Edition and Upgrades), The Elder Scrolls Online Collection, and The Elder Scrolls Online Standard Edition are on sale.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset is the latest Chapter in The Elder Scrolls Online saga, allowing new and veteran players alike (there are no level requirements) to explore the isle of Summerset and uncover a Daedric conspiracy.

The sale is now live on all platforms, including the ESO Store, Steam Store, PlayStation®Store, and Xbox Store, and it will run until Monday, August 13. Check individual storefronts for complete sale details.

The Elder Scrolls Online Standard Edition will be available on sale until Monday, August 20.

WATCH THE KEYNOTE TO EARN AN EXCLUSIVE PET & DROPS
On Friday at 12:00PM EDT, watch QuakeCon 2018’s keynote address live on Twitch to receive an exclusive ESO pet and Twitch Drops. The show will begin at 12:00PM EDT on Friday, August 10 and can be viewed on Bethesda’s official Twitch, Mixer, and YouTube channels. Note that you can only earn these rewards by watching on Twitch:

• Flame Atronach Wolf pet
  • 5 Ouroboros Crown Crates

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 18:38 HorrorScope

Acleacius wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 12:41:
Personally the Dark Brotherhood was complete let down, it broke most of the lore from all the other games. I wouldn't suggest buying it unless it comes with some package deal.

It's basically just murder innocents for your daily quest. At least the Dark Brotherhood had some depth to it in the past.

It gives you the blade of woe, so you can murder NPC's (no one's innocent) throughout the game not just DB, to double dip on pickpocket, assassinate loot.

Hopefully Fallout 76 is good and leads towards a coop Elder Scrolls, however I'm sure they will protect ESO turf some.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 18:18 Osc8r

ItBurn wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 17:16:
Osc8r wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 17:01:
But hey, it's free so what has he got to lose. Let him make up his own mind.

My time, which is pretty precious. I hate mmos, I hate mmo gameplay and I hate infinite mundane quests and I haven't been convinced to try the game yet... I can't imagine a world where I'll make it a high enough priority that I'll make time to play it. Maybe if I fall into a huge depression and everyone I know leaves me :p

Haha, true that. Well, i've being playing MMO's since UO and AC1. Post WOW they all started to get very samey to me - infinite mundane quests and PVE grinds (WOW also managed to turn PVP into a grind, quite impressive really).

If you don't like the typical MMO formula you won't enjoy ESO. Scenery and familiar environments wasn't enough to cover up the boring gameplay of this one, at least for me.

The grouping system was still atrocious last time i played, it's like the game was designed to be played solo:

https://youtu.be/Ov3B26h12C4?t=11m20s

I'll keep holding out for co-op support in future versions of Elder Scrolls as ESO definitely didn't scratch that itch.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2018, 21:28.

14. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 17:16 ItBurn

Osc8r wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 17:01:

My time, which is pretty precious. I hate mmos, I hate mmo gameplay and I hate infinite mundane quests and I haven't been convinced to try the game yet... I can't imagine a world where I'll make it a high enough priority that I'll make time to play it. Maybe if I fall into a huge depression and everyone I know leaves me :p

13. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 17:01 Osc8r

El Pit wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 05:53:
Osc8r wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 04:26:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 02:08:
My friend refuses to play MMOs. I hate them too actually, but I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan. Do you have a way of convincing us to play this?

Don't. It's boring even by MMO standards and the combat is trash.

Games h8er strikes again!

Don't listen to him, he is trolling EVERY game out there. TESO is a solid MMO but requires A LOT of farming if you want to play the free version.

Awe, did I hurt your feeling el-cupcake?

Not trolling, just not a fan of certain games and this is one of them. Hell, even the neverwinter MMO was more enjoyable than this poor excuse for a game. Its NOTHING close to being elder scrolls with friends (which is what I'm still hanging for), it's a game where your brain switches off and you run around doing mundane shit over and over without a single challenge or memorial encounter to be seen, complete with shoddy combat and auto leveling mobs. Joy!

12. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 12:41 Acleacius

Personally the Dark Brotherhood was complete let down, it broke most of the lore from all the other games. I wouldn't suggest buying it unless it comes with some package deal.

It's basically just murder innocents for your daily quest. At least the Dark Brotherhood had some depth to it in the past.

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 11:01 HorrorScope

My friend refuses to play MMOs. I hate them too actually, but I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan. Do you have a way of convincing us to play this?

It's a bit of a mixed bag but has improved tremendously since the first year or two. I hate mmo's in general and I'm playing it because of a friend and it surprised me. DDO is my fav even though I haven't played for years, it's very deep in character progression and it's a lot to catch up on and dungeon mechanics are excellent. GW2 is pretty good, ESO is pretty good to. For reference. Wow was fun way back when mmo's were still somewhat fresh, it feels terribly outdated now.

The thieving and assassin aspects added a lot to gameplay, you need to buy the Thieves and Brotherhood DLC or pay $15\mo for access to all DLC. This really added a dimension that no mmo I've played has (DDO does, but not at this level) and it is really cool. When I last played ESO world loot were mind numbingly trivial with little to no value, boring as shit. Now with stealing, assassinate and pickpocket you can get a lot more gold than before and with a bounty system if caught, it all works pretty well. Was very surprised by this, to me it's a go to feature of the game and makes it standout, I would have quit again without these two features.

The quest stories in general are above mmo averages, which is quite low. Voice acting and what they say is pretty good and sensical.

The gear treadmill while you can still level it, is decent for a mmo, but make no mistake every mmo keeps #'s every closely in check, my #1 complaint of mmo's. They all are too tightly of a controlled spreadsheet, gives them a stale feeling. Somehow they need to find a way to get the ARPG loot/character building formula into mmo's, if only for PvE, in the name of fun.

My #1 issue with the game and it was then as now, is how the questing system works. As you mention you and a friend, so that tells me you want to 2-man the game. Well when people here say "you can play it all solo", well the whole main story you can only play solo, that's a bummer. Some Guild story lines and dailies are only solo to. So it's not ideal for a group actually. It's nice if you are a 1 man show, but to me it's a negative when you come with a group.

It also has the most aggravating quest phasing system. Let me see if I can make sense of this to the audience... If two of you start together and only play together, you can stay in sync and anything that isn't forced solo you can play together and that will play out well. However if you want to pug or quest a little on the side without you main partner, you start to get out of sync in quest lines, not even main. There are all kinds of branching quests in ESO, tons. What you will find is you say "go up to this guy and get the quest" "I can't see it, they aren't there!" "What?" and now your indoctrination to this system begins and it will nawl at you. Or go into a town that you liberated but your friend did not, cause you wanted to do a little something on the side and inside town you see sunny happy traders for you, your friend see's dreary skies and Daedra to fight. When you get within range of this area, you phase into different areas on the fly, you become invisible to one another, you will see an arrow that represents the other so you know they are there, but really are in two different worlds. This is phase instancing, you two aren't in balance with this particular quest line, there is no way to balance it unless you know who's in front of the other and have the lagging member catch up. There isn't a "Are you ok to move forward in your quest?" option when doing these.

So I've had two stints with ESO. The first time we got to 45 and I just had to bow out, mind numbing. Over the next couple years, they played their character more. He later asked for me to play more with him, he got a new character to 45 to match mine, he did world quest grinding not the main story or guild stories. When we got back together we were totally out of sync, we could run the open world, but too many areas and quests were out of jive and we couldn't play together where I left off. I haven't played another mmo that is so unfriendly and to me that is a cornerstone feature of a mmo, grouping.

What we decided to do is "ok, what DLC's haven't we both done at all?" figured that out and we run those together so we stay in sync. We have areas that are all messed up sync wise and those have become solo areas for us in the case we want to do some of that. It's really a huge strike, but if you stay in sync and understand how it works, you can make it work. This would have been a game killer without the DLC's overriding the positive thieve/brotherhood features.

The Championship Point system is cool, you level to 50, then you start leveling Champ Points and that goes up into the 700's I believe now. Each point is one to add to your constellation, like Skyrim. Also any alt you make when they hit 50 they all go to the highest Champ Point one of your top character. This does make running an Alt more feasible to a casual, even though I doubt I'll ever do it. 160 CP's is the highest gear goes though, so once you hit 160 you can tweak your armor and weapons and theoretically never touch them again, a little/lot on the bore side there when that happens. Sort of the GW2 issue, you can get near max or max armor and weapons and still have 80% of the content to do, I think that is a bummer for a MMO to be so stale and stagnant with gear for 100's of hours, in such a fun category to always be upgrading.

Metric tons of content. It's a crazy amount.

Combat system is fairly good for a mmo.

I don't craft.

Get Minion for easy mod adding. Some of my favs are adding a mini-map, skyshard tracker, Gear and Skill Loadout saving, UI adjusting one's.

I'm ok with coming back to this, it has pleasantly surprised me.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2018, 11:21.

10. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 08:46 Acleacius

It's elder scrolls coop, enough said! You both can play different factions but, still start and level in the same areas. Just think of the other people as NPCs you can ignore.

If your playing the F2P version, there are some tips to make it easier. If you buy it while it's on sale, you'll get the first month free subscription. So in theory you could install the game play for a couple hours and if you both agree it's fun then buy it. Life becomes easier as a subscriber. Seeing the modernized version of all the older areas is pretty cool.

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

9. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 05:53 El Pit

Osc8r wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 04:26:

Games h8er strikes again!

Don't listen to him, he is trolling EVERY game out there. TESO is a solid MMO but requires A LOT of farming if you want to play the free version.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

8. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 04:26 Osc8r

7. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 03:22 Teddy

I'm the same way. My wife and I play this, despite me hating MMO's and generally hating PUG groups of people. All the story missions in the game can be played solo and everywhere you go scales in difficulty to match your level on an individual basis. Meaning, if you are level 45 and your friend is level 5, you can still pair up and romp through an area or even a dungeon together without the usual higher level person carrying a lower level person and doing all the work. The mobs deal and take damage according to YOUR level. So you will take damage as if a level 45 mob is hitting you and your friend will take damage as if a level 5 mob is hitting them. The same goes for dealing damage to the mobs. Even more than that, healing spells will translate to your level as well, so if your level 5 friend is a healer, their spells are still going to be useful healing you, instead of providing negligible effects to a much higher health pool.

As such, you can both experience the story of an area/dungeon at the same time with the same level of involvement without worrying about staying at the same level or being in the right "zone" for this level range or that one. I don't know that any other MMO does it quite the same way, and it actually works really well.

Further, you can actually play most dungeons with only two people as long as one can do some healing and the other is a bit on the tanky side. Not all dungeons, a few have some sections that require three people to spread out bosses or keep mobs away from each other, but most, all the same.

It was a clusterfuck when it first came out, especially when it came to group questing and dungeons, and I stopped playing for years, but when the wife got me back to it I was pleasantly surprised with how it had grown.

6. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 03:21 Kxmode

Play each zone like your playing an Elder Scrolls game. You'll soon forget the MMO "feel." when you get to iconic locations like Riften, Morrowind, Daggerfall, and Summerset you'll remember how much you enjoy Elder Scrolls.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

5. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 03:15 MattyC

Do you have a way of convincing us to play this?

Well it is free to try

Otherwise I would largely second what Icewind said. I wasn't a big fan, but I still managed to have fun with it for the ES experience during their last free play. You might too.

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

4. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 02:53 Icewind

The entire game can be played singleplayer, as you would any other Elder Scrolls game that came before this. Then, if you *want* to co-op, you can put in for a dungeon queue and get paired with 3 other randoms for a story dungeon.

There's also "realm v.s. realm" style PvP if you want to do it, but you don't have to. Plus all the "loot crate" stuff is useless fluff that you can get for free by just logging in every day for a couple seconds during the month.

There are only 2 MMORPGs I play. One is FF14, and the other is ESO.

It's fun and you don't need to buy a monthly sub. The storyline in the Morrowind expansion is worth it, IMO. You get to see Vivec really squirm and see how the meteor got where it is, plus learn more about the past of The King of Worms and the Amulet of Kings.

3. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 8, 2018, 02:08 ItBurn

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2018, 22:13 Kxmode

Bill Borre wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 20:05:
That's good timing. I still have just the base game and I've almost finished with the Molag Bal confrontation so I guess I'll be venturing into Morrowind over the next few days.

I too have enjoyed ESO. Each map feels like a mini Elder Scrolls game. Currently stomping around in Alik'r Dessert.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

1. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Free Weekend Aug 7, 2018, 20:05 Bill Borre

That's good timing. I still have just the base game and I've almost finished with the Molag Bal confrontation so I guess I'll be venturing into Morrowind over the next few days.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >