Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations

A new video from Boomstick Gaming is titled "IGN Copied my Dead Cells Review: What do I do?" The clip lays out a pretty strong case to support the accusation, showing the reviews are similar not just in content, but in pace (thanks One Angry Gamer). While it is not an admission of wrongdoing, IGN took this seriously enough to remove the review and post the following message addressing the situation:

Editor's Note: As a group of writers and creators who value our own work and that of others in our field, the editorial staff of IGN takes plagiarism very seriously. In light of concerns that have been raised about our Dead Cells review, weve removed it for the time being and are investigating.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 8, 2018, 18:29 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 17:40:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 10:25:
Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 23:14:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 21:45:
The Nintendo gaming EDITOR for IGN plagiarizes a review? Not some newbie trying to make his name, but the freaking editor?

Thank goodness there's no issue with ethics in games journalism...

If only this were the type of thing you people focused on, instead of "objective reviews."

In any case, it's clearly a bad actor. Every industry on the planet has them. And the review is down, promptly. Looks like the institutions are doing the right thing. For all your bluster, shit like this happens less than once a year and seems to be handled properly.

A) He was allowed to edit his own work. No other eyes saw it before it got up on the website. This is a systemic problem as well as a personal one.

B) The last three Nintendo editors for IGN have all gone on to work at Nintendo afterward. When an EPA staffer goes on to work at Exxon after he leaves, people tend to doubt the efficacy of his time at the EPA (and rightly so). But the ethics of this happening in gaming journalism is unquestionable, right?

What's wrong with Nintendo journalists going to Nintendo? Again, this happens in every damn industry. Hell, the President of my company, which is publicly traded, started out a journalist covering this industry, and we're not even an enthusiast industry.

Nintendo wants people who know the industry well, know how to communicate, know the company well, and have spent a lot of time evaluating it and thinking about how to improve it. Where do you think those people come from?

Jesus, it's all conspiracy with you people. You have no clue how the world works and only pay attention to video games, so you see things that happen EVERYWHERE and assume it's people out to ruin your video games.

You ignored point A (of course, since you know it's poor journalist practices).

Your hyperbole about conspiracies (which no one mentioned here) does not deflect from the fact that IGN has proven to be a conduit to Nintendo. Would this be the case if the editor was overly critical? If you can't see the incentives, then you are a fool (but I know in your case it's willful ignorance. And you can't spell ignorance without IGN).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 8, 2018, 17:40 Beamer

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 10:25:
The Nintendo gaming EDITOR for IGN plagiarizes a review? Not some newbie trying to make his name, but the freaking editor?

If only this were the type of thing you people focused on, instead of "objective reviews."

In any case, it's clearly a bad actor. Every industry on the planet has them. And the review is down, promptly. Looks like the institutions are doing the right thing. For all your bluster, shit like this happens less than once a year and seems to be handled properly.

A) He was allowed to edit his own work. No other eyes saw it before it got up on the website. This is a systemic problem as well as a personal one.

B) The last three Nintendo editors for IGN have all gone on to work at Nintendo afterward. When an EPA staffer goes on to work at Exxon after he leaves, people tend to doubt the efficacy of his time at the EPA (and rightly so). But the ethics of this happening in gaming journalism is unquestionable, right?

What's wrong with Nintendo journalists going to Nintendo? Again, this happens in every damn industry. Hell, the President of my company, which is publicly traded, started out a journalist covering this industry, and we're not even an enthusiast industry.

Nintendo wants people who know the industry well, know how to communicate, know the company well, and have spent a lot of time evaluating it and thinking about how to improve it. Where do you think those people come from?

Jesus, it's all conspiracy with you people. You have no clue how the world works and only pay attention to video games, so you see things that happen EVERYWHERE and assume it's people out to ruin your video games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 8, 2018, 10:25 Eirikrautha

25. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 8, 2018, 09:21 RedEye9

1badmf wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 05:46:
update: dude got fired.
Fox News will snap him up.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/

24. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 8, 2018, 05:46 1badmf

update: dude got fired.  

23. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 23:14 Beamer

-------------

22. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 21:45 Eirikrautha

21. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 19:24 Kxmode

SirKnight wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 17:17:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 17:10:
Let's face it guys, there's only so many ways that you can say a game sucks before words start to overlap.

Except Dead Cells doesn't suck. 92% on metacritic and Very Positive on Steam.

That's some high-quality exfoliated Dead Cells!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 19:15 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 15:52:
Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 14:31:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 14:28:
weve removed it for the time being and are investigating.

You've "removed" it. If proven right, I would except IGN to compensate this person or the group for the days it appeared on IGN and the ad revenue it generated.

On one hand, it would be great if they did.
On the other, it was up for less than 24 hours. I think less than 12.
Every penny of it should obviously go to Boomstick Gaming.

Absolutely. Plagiarism for non-commercial is one thing (college paper for grade, non-profit study report, etc.). An entirely different situation on a commercial site which makes money for producing original content and taking ad revenue.

As an aside, there was a fantastic movie called Shattered Glass about the rise and fall of New Republic magazine star Stephen Glass. Not for plagiarism but for authoring dozens of fake articles. How it unraveled is riveting. The movie has a terrific cast and excellent performances from all the cast and most especially from Hayden Christensen, Peter Sarsgaard, and Steve Zahn. If you've not seen it, it's a great watch.

Here's one of my favorite lines between reporter Caitlin and publisher Chunk Lane.

Caitlin Avey: That's what this is. Of course. I mean, what are you going to do, Chuck? Pick us off, one by one? Everybody that was loyal to Mike, till you have a staff that belongs to you? Is that the kind of magazine you want to run?

Chuck Lane: Caitlin, when this thing blows, there isn't going to be a magazine anymore! If you want to make this about Mike, make it about Mike. I don't give a shit. You can resent me, you can hate me, but come Monday morning, we're all going to have to answer for what we let happen here. We're all going to have an apology to make! Jesus Christ! Don't you have any idea how much shit we're about to eat? Every competitor we ever took a shot at, they're going to pounce. And they should. Because we blew it, Caitlin. He handed us fiction after fiction and we printed them all as fact. Just because... we found him "entertaining." It's indefensible. Don't you know that?

Boom! microphone drops.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 17:17 SirKnight

SlimRam wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 17:10:
Let's face it guys, there's only so many ways that you can say a game sucks before words start to overlap.

Except Dead Cells doesn't suck. 92% on metacritic and Very Positive on Steam.

18. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 17:10 SlimRam

17. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 16:37 RedEye9

MacLeod wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 16:00:
My Favorite part of this whole thing is where, last week the guy who did the video for IGN tweeted:

"Finishing up my Dead Cells review this weekend. Its the first IGN video review Ive edited myself, and I cant wait to share it with you all."

He forgot to add that it practically wrote itself and only took an hour to do.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

16. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 16:00 MacLeod

My Favorite part of this whole thing is where, last week the guy who did the video for IGN tweeted:

"Finishing up my Dead Cells review this weekend. Its the first IGN video review Ive edited myself, and I cant wait to share it with you all."

15. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 15:59 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 12:16:
The last review I've read/watched that was published by IGN was about 10+ years ago. I really don't trust a single review that comes out of these major review websites.
I rather watch let's plays and read some player feedback
The way IGN felated Sean Murray in a dozen vids right before the NMS launch was particularly stomach churning.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

14. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 15:56 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 11:31:
Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 10:59:
It starts off "c'mon, that's generically describing the game" but quickly becomes 'whoa. Really?"

I don't fault IGN for not catching this, and they're handling it right. We'll see where it goes.

Yeah, I wonder how that even got to be to be honest.. not like pacing a review is rocket science but this kind of overlap is baffling, he could have shuffled it around and nobody would have noticed...
Laziness, complacency, and arrogance.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

13. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 15:52 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 14:31:

You've "removed" it. If proven right, I would except IGN to compensate this person or the group for the days it appeared on IGN and the ad revenue it generated.

Every penny of it should obviously go to Boomstick Gaming.

Nullity's Law

12. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 15:45 RedEye9

The last review I've read/watched that was published by IGN was about 10+ years ago. I really don't trust a single review that comes out of these major review websites.
I like ACG reviews.

Nullity's Law

11. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 14:31 Beamer

-------------

10. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 14:28 Kxmode

9. Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 14:25 Cutter

Yep that's about the size of it.

I guess someone's career in journalism is over.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo