Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam

Ars Technica reports that the Fallout 76 B.E.T.A. FAQ indicates the PC edition of Fallout 76 will be distributed through the Bethesda Launcher, and not through Steam. This tidbit was either not noticed at first, or was added after the FAQ was first posted last month. Word is: "Both the B.E.T.A. and the game will be available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and on PC (via Bethesda.net only). Stay tuned for exact B.E.T.A. timing for each platform here and @Fallout on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Please note that the B.E.T.A. for Xbox One will begin first, followed by other platforms." Ars notes that both Fallout Shelter and Quake Champions also debuted as Bethesda Launcher exclusives, and both eventually came to Steam as well.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 8, 2018, 14:53 chickenboo

Suppa7 wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 23:54:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 21:09:
Steam launched as platform for distributing Valve patches.

No steam launched as a way to take software control out of gamers hands, it was full blown DRM. Using the world "platform" is corporate propaganda. The reason why level editors and modding has been curtailed was pioneered by Gabe newell. He taught everyone the public is stupid enough to accept walled gardens if you wrap it around a popular game to trojan horse your drm into existence.

It's really a bit of both. I buy the DRM angle, that was my immediate outrage with Steam back on release. However, recall the system for patching games prior to Steam: you'd check pcgamesworld or guru3d or some other file hosting site for your Half-Life patch because you'd try to open the game and play on a server only to find your client was out of date. Same with Tribes, Starcraft, Diablo 2, the rest of them: updates were files hosted on the developer's website or on some 3rd party site. Steam was partially launched to just make games auto-updated. At the time, all I saw it as was a method to control my access to MY games I HAD BOUGHT, but now, auto-updating is just plain required - I definitely do not want to go back to downloading patches manually and applying them manually. For all the titles I keep installed and play regularly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 23:54 Suppa7

Steam launched as platform for distributing Valve patches.

No steam launched as a way to take software control out of gamers hands, it was full blown DRM. Using the world "platform" is corporate propaganda. The reason why level editors and modding has been curtailed was pioneered by Gabe newell. He taught everyone the public is stupid enough to accept walled gardens if you wrap it around a popular game to trojan horse your drm into existence.

23. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 22:06 Alamar

As much as I don't want to keep installing different publisher's launchers... Can't blame them for wanting that sweet sweet 30% back, for a pretty trivial application. Hell, I built an auto updater ~15 years ago for a project I sent Blizzard, which could have been flushed out into a marketplace (If I'd known, and/or had business sense to get into game sales ; ).  

22. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 22:05 Orogogus

Steam launched as platform for distributing Valve patches. Then a platform for distributing whole Valve games. And the finally a platform for selling other games (where they get a percentage of the cut and distribute patches and if desired help with DLC infrastructure, achievements, anti-cheat, etc). Nobody would have ever accepted any of those steps from MS. Most went kicking and screaming with it being Valve and on their own games initially.

Well, Games for Windows Live was supposed to provide a multiplayer backbone or something, but it wasn't really better than Steam, and there was the whole thing about $50/month. And they have games on the Microsoft Store, including the Forza games. But it boggles my mind that, in addition to still not being as good as Steam, MS can't even give people Solitaire without it being ad-ridden, buggy and ridden with microtransactions.

I really don't understand how all these other companies, when designing their own launchers, can't sit down for 30 minutes to bullet point Steam's key features, and then copy all of those. Search and sorting options, reviews and ratings, tags, multiple drive support and custom paths, wishlists with notifications, gifting, the mod workshop, download management, free weekends, a refund policy, a friends list and chat, family sharing, a browser interface with as many of the same features as possible.

There's probably more, but when the Oculus Store launched, I think it had like 2 of those things -- they've mostly achieved parity now, but some of those don't seem like they should have been that hard for a company with Facebook money when Steam was right there. And the Microsoft Store is still pretty abysmal.

If you want to go the extra mile and improve on Steam, there are also third party sites and add-ons like Enhanced Steam and Lorenzo Stanco's Steam Library filters page. Copy those! It's true that EA, Microsoft and Oculus are working uphill against public opinion, but I feel like they'd have an easier time if they spent more time and effort to actually be as good as Steam.

Something these also-rans could do to sway me would be online spawned installations, like the old Blizzard games, so that one person buys a game and other people can join for free. A lot of smaller multiplayer games look like they could be fun for a Friday night game, but if you need four or more people to all buy a copy then that puts a damper on things.

21. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 21:09 Sepharo

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 18:43:
Creston wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 13:31:
I don't particularly want to have 17 fucking launchers on my system, all of which need updates every other day, but such is life.

That's MS #1 mistake for PC gaming ever. They should have had that in XP and they should have kept royalties low being an open platform. Oh well that ship sailed, where Steam ends up, we'll see. They still have plenty of hits, but definitely fewer now. I just look at launcher as part of the icon I click (or equivalent) and the sign in is just part of the process now.

Steam launched as platform for distributing Valve patches. Then a platform for distributing whole Valve games. And the finally a platform for selling other games (where they get a percentage of the cut and distribute patches and if desired help with DLC infrastructure, achievements, anti-cheat, etc). Nobody would have ever accepted any of those steps from MS. Most went kicking and screaming with it being Valve and on their own games initially.

20. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 18:43 HorrorScope

I don't particularly want to have 17 fucking launchers on my system, all of which need updates every other day, but such is life.

That's MS #1 mistake for PC gaming ever. They should have had that in XP and they should have kept royalties low being an open platform. Oh well that ship sailed, where Steam ends up, we'll see. They still have plenty of hits, but definitely fewer now. I just look at launcher as part of the icon I click (or equivalent) and the sign in is just part of the process now.

19. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 17:55 Sepharo

When we would go the LAN parties we would always bring a CD spindle of all of our games that we'd potentially play. Sharpie that CD key right on the disc.

I remember I essentially had 3 spindles, games, movies and blanks.

They're actually still in the basement in my box o' games, still organized the same way I'm sure.

18. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 16:35 recall2000

" remember losing discs, having corrupted 3.5" floppies (#5 out of 14 always got corrupted), needing the disc to run the game, needing to swap discs during the game (curse any game that made you load on disc 1 then swap to disc 2 immediately), worrying about scratches, having to have somewhere to store all those discs (after a while moving some to spindles), needing to have the manual around to answer what the 30th word on the 80th page was, needing to have not the manual but some special copy wheel protection device. I remember not being able to have something easily installed on multiple systems, again, because if I was going on vacation I'd need to bring a whole bunch of disks or discs with me, and if I decided I wanted to play one not with me I was screwed."

I think back in ther dark days of ye old floppy disks etc not many people had multiple machines, let alone portable ones (PCs I mean). And who took them on holiday with them anyway? I could not have imagined my parents faces if I packed up my tiny "portable" 386 (SX25 from memory..might be wrong) PC and the monitor, to go to the beach. I mean, I did on occasion pack up my Amiga and disks to go round my mates though. Good times.

And code wheels > Denuvo

/s

17. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 16:24 Beamer

recall2000 wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 16:19:
Anyone remember the good old days where you had a single launcher per game? It was called...the game. You know...you ran Quake.exe and it, well, launched Quake. Doom.exe...you guess that one.
You didn't need to launch a flashy shopfront launcher thing where you click a "Run Game" button to then launch the game. How I miss those simple days.

I remember losing discs, having corrupted 3.5" floppies (#5 out of 14 always got corrupted), needing the disc to run the game, needing to swap discs during the game (curse any game that made you load on disc 1 then swap to disc 2 immediately), worrying about scratches, having to have somewhere to store all those discs (after a while moving some to spindles), needing to have the manual around to answer what the 30th word on the 80th page was, needing to have not the manual but some special copy wheel protection device. I remember not being able to have something easily installed on multiple systems, again, because if I was going on vacation I'd need to bring a whole bunch of disks or discs with me, and if I decided I wanted to play one not with me I was screwed.

I love these days.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 16:19 recall2000

Anyone remember the good old days where you had a single launcher per game? It was called...the game. You know...you ran Quake.exe and it, well, launched Quake. Doom.exe...you can try and guess what that one does.
You didn't need to launch a flashy shopfront launcher thing where you click a "Run Game" button to then launch the game. How I miss those simple days.

EDIT: I missed the /s from the post. Seems it was needed

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2018, 16:39.

15. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 15:47 Cutter

I don't have a dog in this fight so I really don't care. This is the only thing that will make Valve either sit up and start doing business properly or they'll throw the towel in. More likely they'll just become the default shovelware platform.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

14. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 15:39 Sepharo

Steam's days as the king are about to come to an end. More and more publishers are going to just build their own (super shitty) storefront and digital distribution platform, and more and more games are just not going to be on Steam.

Valve will probably do nothing. They'll watch shit go downhill for five years, then sell to MS or something.

For now those launchers seem content to only host their own games.
Blizzard recently started offering other Activision games, but that's still within publisher.

So for now Steam still has a lock on the indies and everything else really.
Off the top of my head, there is GoG and GreenMan but Steam is still king and I don't see that going away for a long time.

13. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 13:31 Creston

Steam's days as the king are about to come to an end. More and more publishers are going to just build their own (super shitty) storefront and digital distribution platform, and more and more games are just not going to be on Steam.

Valve will probably do nothing. They'll watch shit go downhill for five years, then sell to MS or something.

12. Re: Fallout 76 Cools on Steam Aug 7, 2018, 10:32 HorrorScope

bigspender wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 03:23:
So I guess they're doing this to pass the 30% saving onto the customer yeah?

*holds in laughter*

Well we know for certain it's about not passing 30% over to Valve. I know if I felt I could get same or near sales at my own site vs paying someone else a lot for theirs, that would be a no-brainer. So I continue to state, can't fault them, 30% in today's world is a massive cost savings potential.

It looks like in time, Steam will be a AA and lower plat, and for Valve games.

Bethesda's launcher has been a part of ESO, so it's been up and working for years.

11. Re: Fallout 76 Cools on Steam Aug 7, 2018, 08:47 aka_STEVE

yeah, as much as I have a disdain for what STEAM has turned into for the past 5+ years ,... having another exclusive 'launcher' for every game nowadays is getting pretty annoying as well.

10. Re: Fallout 76 Cools on Steam Aug 7, 2018, 08:25 necrosis

Glad I did not preorder. Was already on the fence with the multiplayer aspect and all but this now pushes me to the 'don't buy' side of things.  

9. Re: Fallout 76 Cools on Steam Aug 7, 2018, 08:05 Nimh

Apparently Rage 2 and future Bethesda titles will follow this as well. Can't say that I blame them. Steam has been rent-seeking for the past 10 years at this point. Valve's focus is on gambling crates and Lord of the Flies internal jousting.  

8. Re: Fallout 76 Cools on Steam Aug 7, 2018, 07:59 Zanderat1

I have no current plans to buy FO76 anyway. FO4 ruined my trust in Bethesda.  

7. Re: Fallout 76 Cools on Steam Aug 7, 2018, 06:54 Pankin

If there's enough demand/hype surrounding a game, then making a launcher in exchange for greater profits makes sense. The game business is a business after all.

And what is the harm, exactly, in having multiple launchers? Yes I'd prefer to have all my games run on the same launcher but when did the world arrange itself to conform to my preferences? Oh that's right, it never did/never will.

The bottom line is this: My desire to play Fallout 76 is greater than my preference to have a Steam-exclusive game library. That attitude means I can enjoy GOG games, Ubisoft games, Battle.net games, etc. Bully for me.

6. Re: Fallout 76 Cools on Steam Aug 7, 2018, 03:31 Moog

Well they can just fuck off then.

I am not having any more store front / launchers on my PC.

If it ain't on Steam, it ain't getting bought!

As much as I want to play State of Decay 2, I'm not playing that until it's on Steam. Now the same goes with Fallout.

If they pay Steam and lose 30% that's better than losing 100%.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo