Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's funny timing to see an open letter to Microsoft management re: Windows updating (thanks DSLReports via Ant) on the heels of the problem I mentioned. That's because it was one of three different issues I had with Windows update over the weekend. I also had a Windows 10 laptop hang on updating, which required once again ignoring the warning not to shut off the machine. This worked out fine, but I'm sure I've used up a lot of my luck by getting away with this twice in one weekend. The other was an old laptop that I wanted to get ready to donate somewhere. The problem is that it's running Vista, and either Windows Update just rejects machines running deprecated OSes, or it had some other problem. That one I just went for a factory reset and called it a day. But yeah, I think I agree that it would be nice if they smoothed off a couple of rough edges in the patching system, though I can't imagine how complicated this must already be with the wide variety of hardware out there running Windows.

R.I.P.: Charlotte Rae dead- Mrs. Garrett on Facts of Life, Diff’rent Strokes dies at 92.
R.I.P.: Barry Chuckle dead: One half of comedy duo the Chuckle Brothers dies, aged 73. Thanks RedEye9.

Updated Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: The Postal Illuminati. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
LEGO made from plants. LEGO are friends, not food.
Stories: Two elderly men ditch their nursing home, hit up heavy metal festival.
Florida Man Takes Alligator on Beer Run, Chaos Ensues.
White House approves Carr Fire disaster declaration.
Science: We're going to be eating bugs really soon now, again.
Media: Man Catches Flying Baseball Bat, Saves Wife's Life, Gets A Kiss And Doesn't Spill His Beer. My New Hero.
Bird Taking Off at 20,000 fps (213 milliseconds) - Smarter Every Day 197. Thanks Hypothermia.
The Cymbal Master Crafting the Perfect Sound.
The Funnies: Adult Children.
Savage Chickens.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2018, 07:25 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 23:31:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 19:56:
That's certainly one solution, yes, and one I personally advocate. In 2018, there isn't really a need to be "technically savvy" to use Linux. No more than using Windows.

My mother is in her latter 60s and has been a full time Linux user for the last six years. Three years on Mint and the last three on Manjaro.
It's been a while since I've looked at it, perhaps I should look again. I admit I'm not even familiar with Mint or Manjaro. What is the solution for gaming? Some kind of virtual box?

Depending on the game, yes. However, there are a many games that have Linux native versions through Steam. Generally, I find those to be more performant than their Windows counterparts.

For games that do not have a Linux version, I do have a VM that I use PCI passthrough (for the video card) with that gives me ~98% performance versus bare metal. Although it is not yet a one click solution, there's plenty of guides that can walk a person through how to do so with minimal difficulty. jdreyer and I talked about this some months back and he did it. He was, if I remember, quite pleased with the result.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2018, 04:06 bigspender

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 14:00:
Well, I'm sure there are some unintentional insect bits in my food already. That said, while people might be eating bugs really soon, unless they don't look anything like bugs -- I'm pretty sure I won't be.

You'll never have to eat bugs, because all plants contain all 9 essential amino acids, so it's actually impossible to become protein deficient. If you eat enough calories to sustain yourself, you automatically get enough protein too. And plant proteins don't raise your IGF-1 levels, so it also lowers cancer risk vs. insect or meat protein.

The whole protein thing is just fear mongering that companies use to make us buy unnecessary food. Proteinaholic by Dr. Garth Davis is a great read / listen if you have a spare slot in your to-read pile.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2018, 01:29 Kxmode

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 20:50:
Random question here.. music lovers of bluesnews, I'm looking for a few songs with certain themes, for a music appreciation group I'm in. We have a daily theme, with 24 hours to submit songs, but today they threw a curveball at us and the topic is "Seven Deadly Sins", with one song entry per each sin. (usually 2 songs per day max are supposed to be submitted)

not trying to get biblical or anything

A footnote. The seven deadly sins isn't a biblical thing. It was fabricated by fire-and-brimstone preachers to put the "fear of hellfire" in the hearts of their congregants (and likely to get more money on the donation plate). As a thing, it doesn't appear in the Bible. The Bible treats sin as sin. In other words, the Bibles states death is the only wage paid for sin. (Romans 6:23) However, there is only ONE sin mentioned in the Bible that in a way is deadly because there's no hope of resurrection for those who engage in it. Jesus identifies what it is. "For this reason I say to you, every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven." (Matthew 12:31) Several examples of people who committed this deadly sin are the scribes and Pharisees who actively sought to have the Messiah killed, Judas Iscariot when he betrayed Jesus, and Adam and Eve when they willfully disobeyed Jehovah and tainted the human race with their sin. It's a certainty they will never be resurrected. Anyhow, hope you found that informative.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 7, 2018, 00:12 Mordecai Walfish

1badmf wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 23:48:
does the song have to be about the sin or just have it in the title? cuz i don't think U2's Pride is about the sin of pride.

as for greed, i would suggest Pink Floyd's Money

pride - any rap song from the mid 90s and 2ks. Biggie's mo' money mo' problems comes to mind.

sloth - afroman/because i got high

gluttony - drawing a blank man, sorry. note, the biblical gluttony can be metaphorical as well as about food, as in consuming far more than is healthy of anything. i suppose Because I Got High could work for that too since it's about consuming way too much weed XD

lol that is *perfect* for sloth, and yeah has crossover potential to gluttony too. i was thinking "old fashioned morphine" by jolie holland for sloth and it had similar crossover potential but went with blue's pick as i didnt see any other comments until now. thanks for chiming in, agreed 100% on the pride pick thats what i went with as well.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 7, 2018, 00:02 Mordecai Walfish

Blue wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 22:15:

Inspired some real oldies for me:

Gluttony

Creeque Alley - The Mamas & the Papas

Pride

U2 (duh)

Greed

Richard Cory - Simon and Garfunkel

Sloth

I'm So Tired - The Beatles

Great picks, none taken either besides the U2 song. Since that was picked I went with J-Live - Braggin' Writes for pride. He's from NY too, and what says pride more than hip-hop/rap?

Thanks for the help!

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 6, 2018, 23:48 1badmf

Random question here.. music lovers of bluesnews, I'm looking for a few songs with certain themes, for a music appreciation group I'm in. We have a daily theme, with 24 hours to submit songs, but today they threw a curveball at us and the topic is "Seven Deadly Sins", with one song entry per each sin. (usually 2 songs per day max are supposed to be submitted)

So far I have an obvious one "LUST.", by Kendrick Lamar (probably the best track off his last album), for Wrath I have "Ænema" by Tool, and for Envy I picked "Lounge Act" by Nirvana, but I still need entries for:

Gluttony

Pride

Greed

Sloth

not trying to get biblical or anything, just don't have time to pour through music to find fitting songs, as I'm working a 12hr shift today.

does the song have to be about the sin or just have it in the title? cuz i don't think U2's Pride is about the sin of pride.

as for greed, i would suggest Pink Floyd's Money

pride - any rap song from the mid 90s and 2ks. Biggie's mo' money mo' problems comes to mind.

sloth - afroman/because i got high

gluttony - drawing a blank man, sorry. note, the biblical gluttony can be metaphorical as well as about food, as in consuming far more than is healthy of anything. i suppose Because I Got High could work for that too since it's about consuming way too much weed XD

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2018, 23:59.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 23:31 Mr. Tact

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 19:56:
That's certainly one solution, yes, and one I personally advocate. In 2018, there isn't really a need to be "technically savvy" to use Linux. No more than using Windows.

My mother is in her latter 60s and has been a full time Linux user for the last six years. Three years on Mint and the last three on Manjaro.
It's been a while since I've looked at it, perhaps I should look again. I admit I'm not even familiar with Mint or Manjaro. What is the solution for gaming? Some kind of virtual box?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 23:17 WarPig

Yeah, I'll go vegan before insects become a regular part of my diet. I'm already eating a lot less meat these days.

A while back I went to Safeco Field to catch a Mariners game and had a chance to sample the Chapulines (grasshoppers). Not great, not terrible.

Here's a pretty interesting article on where the grasshoppers come from and how they get to Seattle:
https://tinyurl.com/ybxecdb6

GO SEAHAWKS!

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 6, 2018, 22:15  Blue 

Random question here.. music lovers of bluesnews, I'm looking for a few songs with certain themes, for a music appreciation group I'm in.

Inspired some real oldies for me:

Gluttony

Creeque Alley - The Mamas & the Papas

Pride

U2 (duh)

Greed

Richard Cory - Simon and Garfunkel

Sloth

I'm So Tired - The Beatles

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 6, 2018, 20:50 Mordecai Walfish

So far I have an obvious one "LUST.", by Kendrick Lamar (probably the best track off his last album), for Wrath I have "Ænema" by Tool, and for Envy I picked "Lounge Act" by Nirvana, but I still need entries for:

Gluttony

Pride

Greed

Sloth

not trying to get biblical or anything, just don't have time to pour through music to find fitting songs, as I'm working a 12hr shift today.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 20:45 Kxmode

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 20:33:
Anyone else think of the Anderson Brothers - the two senile heavy-metal rockers from Alan Wake - while reading about those nursing home escapees?

Also, Win10's obnoxious update policy is the number one reason I'm sticking with older versions. It's my damn computer, I am the one who should to be in control of it, not Microsoft. Especially since I've been bitten by bad patches in the past, and that was back when Microsoft still had a QA department.

I've only experienced one issue with an update that reset my Start icons. Yeah, that was maddening. Besides that, updates have been stable. That said, I do not like the draconian enforcement of them especially when the Restart prompts and I'm only given an option to delay or defer restart.

edit: correction

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2018, 01:02.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 20:33 The_Pink_Tiger

Anyone else think of the Anderson Brothers - the two senile heavy-metal rockers from Alan Wake - while reading about those nursing home escapees?

Also, Win10's obnoxious update policy is the number one reason I'm sticking with older versions. It's my damn computer, I am the one who should to be in control of it, not Microsoft. Especially since I've been bitten by bad patches in the past, and that was back when Microsoft still had a QA department.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 19:56 Burrito of Peace

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 13:56:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 12:02:
[Shrugs] There are many ways around the Windows problem but people will still bitch about it while doing absolutely nothing about it.
Which solution are you advocating? Linux? I'm technically savvy enough I probably could use Linux, but I'm just not interested in executing the effort which is required.

My mother is in her latter 60s and has been a full time Linux user for the last six years. Three years on Mint and the last three on Manjaro. In that time, she has asked for help exactly once. She uses it to browse the web, email, watch movies, wrote a cookbook on it, and other light to medium duty usage. I would in no way quantify my mother as a technical user.

Likewise, my wife whom is also not a particularly technical user, uses Linux daily and even runs her payroll, bookkeeping, and accounting business using Quickbooks off of it.

It's absolutely doable.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 19:15  Blue 

Kxmode wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 15:39:
Blue regarding your problems, remember: Windows. It just "works."

lol Wall

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 15:39 Kxmode

Blue regarding your problems, remember: Windows. It just "works."  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 15:18 subx

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 14:00:
while people might be eating bugs really soon, unless they don't look anything like bugs -- I'm pretty sure I won't be.

Like, say, cochineal?

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 14:00 Mr. Tact

Well, I'm sure there are some unintentional insect bits in my food already. That said, while people might be eating bugs really soon, unless they don't look anything like bugs -- I'm pretty sure I won't be.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 13:56 Mr. Tact

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 12:02:
[Shrugs] There are many ways around the Windows problem but people will still bitch about it while doing absolutely nothing about it.
Which solution are you advocating? Linux? I'm technically savvy enough I probably could use Linux, but I'm just not interested in executing the effort which is required.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 13:47 Cutter

Family Guy said it best... Everyone from Florida is stupid

Yeah, I'll go vegan before insects become a regular part of my diet. I'm already eating a lot less meat these days. Seems if everyone else does the same that'd about do it anyway. That and stop overpopulating the fucking planet already!

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 13:03 Pigeon

I had to manually download and apply certain updates for Vista otherwise the updater would get stuck and run indefinitely. It's been a problem for at least several years. MS doesn't care about older OSes, and the only thing they seem to care about with Win 10 is that is keeps trying to get you to use some feature you don't care about like onedrive or Cortana.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo