Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

My computer gave me a bit of a scare this morning, as it hung on a message telling me that Windows update was 100% complete, but not to turn off my computer until it was finished. I gave it an hour, but then held my breath and hit the big red switch. Sure enough, the machine was not happy about this, said it was updating again, and stopped at 33% this time. Trying to boot into safe mode gave the message that it was undoing failed updates, so I knew I was making progress, although it was a little nerve-wracking that it showed that message for a good 30 minutes before moving on. The weird part is when it was all said and done, there was only one optional update to install, which was fine. All in all a lot of drama for something that turned out to be nothing, but I'm certainly not going to complain that I didn't have a bigger problem.

Problematic Links: Thanks Ant.
Story: Watch Patrick Stewart shock Star Trek fans with surprise reveal of new series. Thanks David.
Science: The Pot Breathalyzer Is Here. Maybe. Thanks RedEye9.
Scientists Terrorized Lizards With a Leaf Blower to Study Natural Selection. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: Turkish Airlines-Safety Video with The LEGO Movie Characters.
Are Geese OP?
Never waste your diamonds on a hoe.
The Funnies: Corn Dog Amusement.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2018, 22:41 phorce phed

There are still serious unresolved issues with the July Windows updates.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 6, 2018, 10:34 Mordecai Walfish

500 GB ssd for $80: https://www.rakuten.com/shop/thekeykey/product/211109/

w/ coupon code SAVE15

16. Re: Watch Patrick Stewart shock Star Trek fans with surprise reveal of new series. Aug 5, 2018, 23:58 1badmf

SlimRam wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 17:18:
Yeah, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this to be honest? I mean, I like his character alot it's just that well, he's kind of old now. And, I'm guessing that he is gonna be an admiral now; how much time has past? And if he's an admiral, then he's probably not gonna have a ship, right? So is it gonna be more about him flying a desk at a Federation starbase?

For some reason, I just can't seem to get hyped about it. I keep thinking when I hear an older Jean-Luc Picard that it might turn out to be something like, 'Admiral Picard: The Doddering Years'. I don't want to "be there" when Picard loses bowel control for the first time. We've already seen what a cranky old bastard he turns into anyway.

to me it sounds like it'll be post starfleet years. like i hope it'll be about him travelling the galaxy indulging his love of archaeology and maybe running into his old crew here and there.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 5, 2018, 22:54 Mordecai Walfish

I also had a problem with my win10 install last night. I dual boot 7/10, and when i went to shut down windows 10 after 4 or 5 days of uptime last night, it simply did not respond. ctrl-alt-del also did not function. I was worried about a particularly nasty storm coming through with tornados, and with no UPC connected currently I dont want to risk things too much in severe weather.. and there windows is just completely ignoring the fact i was trying to shut it down, with no notice as to why. you could click shut down in the start menu but nothing happened, ctrl-alt-del wouldnt even bring up the normal green splash screen with options. Finally i shut down explorer.exe by accessing the task manager from right clicking the task bar, then relaunched it and tried shutting down again, this time through both the ctrl-alt-del splash (which started pulling up) and the start menu. pressed the physical power button as well.. and still nothing, until like 5 minutes later when i was a hair away from a cold shutdown, then it finally started shutting down and windows stated it is "configuring updates", which is likely the cause for *all* of this, but I was never notified that it was doing this (or anything).

Shit like this is why I keep a windows 7 partition on all my machines still. Can't trust in windows 10 still as much as I can in 7, and microsoft has proven this to be the case multiple times in the past couple months alone.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2018, 19:16 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 18:56:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 18:16:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 14:57:
Have you run the built-in "reliability monitor tool" to see if it shows anything out of the ordinary?

Does that actually do anything? I thought they just threw that in there to give noobs something to do while waiting on hold for support.
In a perfect world your system should score a 10.
If it scores a 5 it does not mean your system is a bsod'ing pos, but it does help highlight issues from Windows Update and other things.
examples: McAfee was blowing up on one of my clients desktops and Reliability monitor pointed it out, likewise it caught an audio driver on my laptop that was erroring.

Good to know

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2018, 18:56 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 18:16:
Have you run the built-in "reliability monitor tool" to see if it shows anything out of the ordinary?

Does that actually do anything? I thought they just threw that in there to give noobs something to do while waiting on hold for support.
In a perfect world your system should score a 10.
If it scores a 5 it does not mean your system is a bsod'ing pos, but it does help highlight issues from Windows Update and other things.
examples: McAfee was blowing up on one of my clients desktops and Reliability monitor pointed it out, likewise it caught an audio driver on my laptop that was erroring.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2018, 18:26 jdreyer

Turkish Airlines-Safety Video with The LEGO Movie Characters.

I really thought that PSA would be in, uh, Turkish.

11. Re: Watch Patrick Stewart shock Star Trek fans with surprise reveal of new series. Aug 5, 2018, 18:21 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 17:18:
Yeah, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this to be honest? I mean, I like his character alot it's just that well, he's kind of old now. And, I'm guessing that he is gonna be an admiral now; how much time has past? And if he's an admiral, then he's probably not gonna have a ship, right? So is it gonna be more about him flying a desk at a Federation starbase?

For some reason, I just can't seem to get hyped about it. I keep thinking when I hear an older Jean-Luc Picard that it might turn out to be something like, 'Admiral Picard: The Doddering Years'. I don't want to "be there" when Picard loses bowel control for the first time. We've already seen what a cranky old bastard he turns into anyway.

Patrick Stewart stars as Jean-Luc Picard in the new series
Star Trek: The Search for Depends. Grin

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2018, 18:19 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 15:34:
Zero faith in CBS delivering a good Trek even if Patrick is involved. And I must say, he's looking old.

He was looking old back when TNG ran in the 80s.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2018, 18:16 jdreyer

8. Re: Watch Patrick Stewart shock Star Trek fans with surprise reveal of new series. Aug 5, 2018, 17:37 fawker

I'm glad he was branching out, but Stewart lost his air of austerity for me me with that comedy series he starred in. A lot of his social media posts too.

It's wrong of me to expect him to really be like Jean Luc Picard in real life, but it is what it is. He is a Sir, after all.

7. Watch Patrick Stewart shock Star Trek fans with surprise reveal of new series. Aug 5, 2018, 17:18 SlimRam

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2018, 16:43 DangerDog

I have to believe that Patrick wouldn't sign on if it was going to be another "Discovery" abomination.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2018, 15:36 RedEye9

I think there might be something wrong with a "for profit" medical system.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/health/opioids-spinal-injections.html

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_bleeding_edge
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/take_your_pills

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2018, 15:34 Cutter

Zero faith in CBS delivering a good Trek even if Patrick is involved. And I must say, he's looking old.

Great airline video. And the OP Geese thing was funny as hell.

Now I want a corn dog.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2018, 15:16 Neutronbeam

That's why I've got a primary computer and a backup computer that mostly mirrors the primary so downtime is at a minimum. Have the same set-up for my wife and it was a big help when her main laptop went down hard.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2018, 15:03 fawker

Nothing like that uneasy feeling that your windows install is now more unstable than it used to be, lol.

I've read Win 10 basically does an OS reinstall on every major patch. I've found a few settings toggled back to default positions myself, which is always annoying.

The only thing worse was Nvida Experience updating and resetting my preferences for and re-optimizing my games. Every time it would turn supersampling on and some games would render beyond my monitor resolution. It happened in Overwatch and I couldn't even get to the menu option to exit out, lol.

Needless to say I just manually install the core drivers now. Shadowplay isn't worth that hassle.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2018, 14:57 RedEye9

Yikes, that's a Windows 10 (WAIT, DON'T YOU RUN 7 Shocked ) horror story when it happens at work and turning your system on at home is considered "at work".
You wouldn't happen to have the OS installed on an old 5400 laptop hdd. Bigcry

Nullity's Law

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo