Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 22, 2018, 07:37 Nimh

Our family stumbled into Iphones after starting with some seriously dumpster fire Android offerings (early Nexus era). They've been perfect for us and our limited usage. It's nice that they are updated 4-5 years out, and the hardware quality is good.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 22, 2018, 04:05 Armengar

ive been very lucky. I have owned a few android phones, all of them are still working.

galaxy s2, still running as a music player and radio (tune in radio pro), it lives in the garden shed and is charged via solar battery bank.

galaxy note 3. runs just fine and is a media player connected via HDMI to a tv in our study room. runs kodi (ironically using an android remote control)

moto 'something'. daughters phone. looks like its been in the wars and works fine.

my note 3. typing on it now. screen is in great condition, case has many cracks and dents, needs to live in a flip wallet as the battery bay cover is very badly damaged. has been dropped many times, used as baby teether, hammer, object of fruatration etc. pen works fine for daily use too, have gone through 2 nibs and 2 batteries.

galaxy s8. paetners phone. only 9 months old and works fine.

All have been flashed with other roms and have been rooted. Both our old iphones died with various faults. one switched off after apple logo, the other gets past apple logo and sits on a messed up screen.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 22, 2018, 01:42 Jivaro

My first smart phone since the Samsung/Palm based phones was a Galaxy 3 and now I have a Galaxy 7 and both of them have been terrific. My wife has has had nothing but iPhones. Despite the lack of problems, neither one of us are at all interested in switching platforms so that we can take advantage of a 2for1 bundle or something. She is not at all interested in learning a new phone OS and I am not all interested in using an Apple anything. Kind of dumb reasons really, but it is what it is. Maybe sometime I will try a different Android based model, but I doubt it will be soon as I really like my Galaxy(s).  

6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 22, 2018, 01:26 swedishfriend

never had an iphone but I had an iPod touch 4 and 5. Those things crashed more often than my windows machines. My galaxy S5 still works great. It does get slower after a few days without a restart but the ipods would slow down and also crash pretty much daily. Not sure why an OS with such limited variations of hardware would crash daily while my windows machines that I always piece together myself would stay up for months.  

5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 21, 2018, 23:48 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jul 21, 2018, 15:38:
Anecdotal I know, but the only phone I've owned that has completely died was my daughter's iPhone. Incidentally that's the only iPhone I've ever owned.

And on the other side, I just had to replace my Moto G4 Play last month when it up and died out of nowhere, no warning or symptoms whatsoever. It was sitting on my desk, had been working all day with no issue and all of a sudden I noticed my internet connection dropped (I tether my phone to my PC and use it's connection as my internet since it's leagues faster than satellite, the only other available connection here). Picking up the phone, it neither vibrated nor turned on (there's a joke in there, somewhere, I know it Nod ) and I found that it would not power on at all, even after trying a hard reset. I took it to the Verizon store and they were more interested in finding out what I do with nearly a terabyte of data a month (I have a $75 prepaid unlimited plan) and selling me a two year contract on a new S8 for $50/month plus plan. FUCK THAT! I figured the battery somehow died so I ordered another one and two days later found that, nope, it was just dead as a fucking door nail. Never seen that in a 'modern' phone, though I admittedly don't have much experience. This was only my second smartphone. (The first being a heavily scratched up hand-me-down LG Lucky, which still works fine, btw) Usually, in 'modern' electronics, there's at least some kind of symptom or warning before it totally dies. Not this time.

Lucky for me, I had Google sync on and picked up an LG Zone4. I had hoped to just put the SIM card in the new phone and go from there but no, the G4 Play is a microSIM and the Zone4 is a nanoSIM. Christ! Could we make it any more confusing?! So I had to get a new number since I activated the new phone before calling ol' *V to tell them the other one bit the dust. Oh well. The Zone4 is ok, it's much thinner than my G4 Play and feels like it's going to go comically flying out of my hand at any moment. The screen is smaller, yet more responsive and the phone is a bit faster clocked than the G4 Play, too. It also has some features that were absent on the old phone and it doesn't suffer from one of most infuriating BUGS the G4 had - whenever you plugged in a 3.5" aux cable, say to listen to your music via the car stereo, it wouldn't shut the MIC off, and because of that, Google would think you were asking it to search something and would interrupt whatever you were playing to hear your query...multiple times...in a row. And then, just for shits and giggles, that would confuse the hell out of it and it would go nuts, opening apps and shutting other apps down and crashing still others. All at the same time. Fun, Fun, Fun! Thankfully the Zone4 doesn't seem to suffer from this known and unfixed problem...

So, in my opinion, I'd say Apple and Android are both about equal in the 'Pain In the Ass' category.

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 21, 2018, 20:50 rawbelly

Never once thought they were more reliable.  

3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 21, 2018, 20:30 YourNick

Surprising coming from BGR.  

2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 21, 2018, 15:38 jdreyer

Anecdotal I know, but the only phone I've owned that has completely died was my daughter's iPhone. Incidentally that's the only iPhone I've ever owned.  

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 21, 2018, 13:07 RedEye9

There are lots and lots of android phones. You can use your fingers and toes to count all the different iphones ever made. If just one of those models has an issue (and more than one has) it'll drastically drop the reliability statistic.

FACT
Apple products are inherently better because they are more expensive and everyone at Starbucks has one.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >