Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

GOG.com Tweet Backlash

GOG.com tweets about as tweet they made before removing it due to controversy, saying "we clearly messed up here." VG247 has details on the deleted tweet, saying it was a promotional image for Postal 2 which showed someone urinating on a headstone marked "games journalism." They note this as a call out to the GamerGate movement, which was highly critical of the gaming press, but is also the target of criticism itself over allegations of misogyny and sexism, and VG247 says they are dropping coverage of GOG.com as a result of this. The tweet has inspired lots of responses, many of which are complaints about the original tweet, but there are many posts critical of the apology as well. This tweet offers thoughts on the controversy, but we do not understand their reference to the significance of the date except that there were many GamerGate headlines around this time in 2015. Here's their post:

• The intention behind our tweet was to inform about a release known for controversial content.
  • Unfortunately, we've failed to make the association between the image, the date, and an abusive movement.
  • Our intention was never to hurt or condone hate.
View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

22. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jul 19, 2018, 14:06 Beamer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 14:01:
Kajetan wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 12:10:
Considering GOGs history of shady and weird marketing schemes ....
examples?

They did a PCMR thing a ways back, and apologized for it. Which set off all kinds of anger from people that think no one should be bothered by saying their choice in platform makes them like the Aryans. Even Yahtzee has said he wishes he'd never used the term, given the asshats that have attached themselves to it.

But I don't think most of this stuff is intentional, and when they screw up, they seem genuinely upset at their actions.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jul 19, 2018, 14:01 RedEye9

Kajetan wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 12:10:
Considering GOGs history of shady and weird marketing schemes ....
examples?

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

20. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 13:59 Beamer

subx wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 13:04:
Drazula wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 11:30:
Most of us live in the middle and are capable of seeing both sides of most issues.

You’re kidding yourself. People are morons who tend to believe which ever bullshit argument resonates with their preconceptions.

This is wrong and I refuse to believe otherwise. I saw this post on Facebook that perfectly explained why in 3 sentences over a picture of a panda.

-------------

19. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 13:50 Veinman

GamerGate assholes are infuriating, and I have no patience for man-babies.

But I don't think GOG would do something intentionally like that; they have built up a lot of good will with me over the years, and their apology seems sincere.

18. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 13:41 Yifes

Darks wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 11:09:
They will never change it does not fit their insane hatred.

Oh no... some shitty website is no longer covering GOG... what shall we do about such "insane" hatred? My internet safe space is now shattered!

17. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 13:27 VaranDragon

subx wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 13:04:
You’re kidding yourself. People are morons who tend to believe which ever bullshit argument resonates with their preconceptions.

Pretty much this. The very few who are able to change their minds and opinions based on facts, or better arguments, are usually those who are ostracised first from society.

The extreme example of the morons from subx's comment suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect. Yes there is even a name for this disease. Conspiracy Theorists, Flat Earthers, cultists etc. usually fall under this group.

16. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 13:04 subx

Most of us live in the middle and are capable of seeing both sides of most issues.

15. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 13:04 KS

Never hoida 'em. But their reactionary scorched-earth virtue signalling in favor of dialog and discussion gives me hope for humanity  

14. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jul 19, 2018, 12:40 Parallax Abstraction

I don't know how VG 24/7 is still a thing. It's a bad site full of generally weak writers who most of the time, just regurgitate press releases. I don't know anyone who reads them. And now they're actively shunning advertisers over a tweet that was at worst, in poor taste. I don't think anyone will even notice when they go away.  

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

13. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jul 19, 2018, 12:30 Flatline

I don't especially give a damn, but this:

"The problem is that the gif can be interpreted as a dogwhistle that panders to hate group GamerGate, which itself has been proven to lead to radicalism and even murder."

made me twitch.

I didn't know gamergate has been proven to lead to murder. I mean, I looked at the link that they used, and it was some Trumper/Gamergater/psycho who stabbed his dad, but I don't think they established that GamerGate is the sole/primary catalyst that made him a murderer.

Pretty sloppy writing IMHO.

12. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jul 19, 2018, 12:10 Kajetan

Beamer wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 11:33:
This legitimately sounds like it was unintentional and, not knowing much about VG247, I'd expect them to accept the apology.
Considering GOGs history of shady and weird marketing schemes ... this was probably intentional.

11. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 12:08 Creston

VG247 says they are dropping coverage of GOG.com as a result of this

Oh noes! Not VG247! What will GOG do now?! Rolleyes

Whiny shitty game websites notwithstanding, I do wonder why there is never a single person at a company that goes like "you know, guys, maybe this isn't such a good idea?"

And I mean, for the sake of Postal 2 and the 500 sales you'd get from that game?

10. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 11:53 Prez

How does an image symbolizing pissing on game journalism equate to Gamergate exactly? Seems quite a stretch. Like Stretch Armstrong levels of stretching. What a pathetic attempt at relevance through deliberate misinformation by VG247. I'll continue to happily use GOG and continue to happily ignore tabloid drama queen sites like VG247.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 11:48 Cutter

Extreme left and extreme right are both nuts. Most of us live in the middle and are capable of seeing both sides of most issues.

Thank you. The lack of common sense and flexibility in both those groups will be the undoing of us all.

8. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 11:33 Beamer

This legitimately sounds like it was unintentional and, not knowing much about VG247, I'd expect them to accept the apology.  

-------------

7. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jul 19, 2018, 11:31 RedEye9

Kajetan wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 11:24:
Timmeh wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 10:39:
You SJW leftists ...
Who are talking to?
Voices in his head, his dog, the litter box and anything else that will listen.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

6. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 11:30 Drazula

Extreme left and extreme right are both nuts. Most of us live in the middle and are capable of seeing both sides of most issues.  

5. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jul 19, 2018, 11:24 Kajetan

You SJW leftists ...
Who are talking to?

4. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 11:20 LurkerLito

Don't read VG247, I don't care about social media, and I buy as many of my games from GoG.com as possible even if I can get a cheaper version of the same game from GMG for steam, so it doesn't matter to me at all what they tweeted, they are basically the only one selling DRM-free games that are supported. Yeah Humble Bundle does also sell some DRM-Free games, but their DRM-Free titles get updates but no DLC support. So you can't buy it for your DRM-Free copy (Aragami). Though to be fair, many of their DRM-Free games do give you a Steam key also so there are advantages buying at humble for titles that won't be expanded anymore like GOTY/Complete versions.  

3. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 19, 2018, 11:09 Darks

You SJW leftists are getting completely OUT OF HAND!!

Not to mention the absolute insane levels of hypocricy... so a game about crazy levels of gratuitous violence against innocent people is OK but a tweet about some stuff people are SAYING is beyond the pale.

You guys have gone completely nuts.. please become normal people again and drop all this made up "hate" nonsense.

They will never change it does not fit their insane hatred.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >