Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

GOG.com Tweet Backlash

GOG.com tweets about as tweet they made before removing it due to controversy, saying "we clearly messed up here." VG247 has details on the deleted tweet, saying it was a promotional image for Postal 2 which showed someone urinating on a headstone marked "games journalism." They note this as a call out to the GamerGate movement, which was highly critical of the gaming press, but is also the target of criticism itself over allegations of misogyny and sexism, and VG247 says they are dropping coverage of GOG.com as a result of this. The tweet has inspired lots of responses, many of which are complaints about the original tweet, but there are many posts critical of the apology as well. This tweet offers thoughts on the controversy, but we do not understand their reference to the significance of the date except that there were many GamerGate headlines around this time in 2015. Here's their post:

• The intention behind our tweet was to inform about a release known for controversial content.
  • Unfortunately, we've failed to make the association between the image, the date, and an abusive movement.
  • Our intention was never to hurt or condone hate.
View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

62. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 21, 2018, 10:17 Beamer

Quinn wrote on Jul 21, 2018, 04:23:
Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 10:08:
Quinn wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 09:47:
Cry me a motherfucking river! I hope all them pussies cuddle up inside one huge fucking safe space and someone throws a bomb in it.

BOOM!

Fucking useless pussy generation. Die in a fire.

Oh, and could those companies please stop giving in to the hurt feelings of these thin skinned idiots? Get a thicker skin and shut the fuck up.

/rant

So I can't go through your post history and find something that offended you?
Or is it different, because like Cutter, things that offend you are ok to be offended by, but things that don't offend you are things only "pussies" are offended by?

Go ahead, go through my posts. I do not get offended. It's a bullshit emotion and one that leads to censorship. The closest I get to being offended is when I think somebody is so incredibly stupid that I disagree with them greatly. Like people who say racism toward white people doesn't exist, for example. Still, "that offends me" is something I cannot imagine ever feeling or saying.

This is more fun, then.
Most brown people in America experience racism every day. Hell, we have plenty of studies that show a resume with a "brown person" name will get less attention than a "white person name."

Tell me, what racism do you experience every day? Or even weekly? Do you get followed around stores? Do you get accused of crimes just for being in a place you're supposed to be in? Does anything happen to you, ever, that warrants being placed on the same level as things like this?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 21, 2018, 04:23 Quinn

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 10:08:
Cry me a motherfucking river! I hope all them pussies cuddle up inside one huge fucking safe space and someone throws a bomb in it.

BOOM!

Oh, and could those companies please stop giving in to the hurt feelings of these thin skinned idiots? Get a thicker skin and shut the fuck up.

/rant

Or is it different, because like Cutter, things that offend you are ok to be offended by, but things that don't offend you are things only "pussies" are offended by?

Go ahead, go through my posts. I do not get offended. It's a bullshit emotion and one that leads to censorship. The closest I get to being offended is when I think somebody is so incredibly stupid that I disagree with them greatly. Like people who say racism toward white people doesn't exist, for example. Still, "that offends me" is something I cannot imagine ever feeling or saying.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

60. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 22:46 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 13:48:
It's so weird how people think GG is all hardcore gamers, instead of a very vocal minority of hardcore gamers who think that being able to use the n word in voice chat is of critical importance.

Calling you a noob is of the utmost importance indeed.

Otherwise I don't know what n word you mean

59. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 20:33 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 19:31:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 19:08:
There's another GoG tweet scandal today...

But it's James Gunn getting fired from Guardians of the Galaxy for pedo joke tweets he made before he was famous.
Apparently Trumpers weren't happy with his political posting so they searched his old tweets and reported what they found and Disney fired him.

Fired for making child jokes? Like, why did the chicken cross the road - to get to the other side? That's a joke I hear many children making.

Okay after this, and a similar usage I saw Prez do the other day, I finally looked up the original conversation...
Holy shit lol

58. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 19:44 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 19:31:

But it's James Gunn getting fired from Guardians of the Galaxy for pedo joke tweets he made before he was famous.
Apparently Trumpers weren't happy with his political posting so they searched his old tweets and reported what they found and Disney fired him.

Fired for making child jokes? Like, why did the chicken cross the road - to get to the other side? That's a joke I hear many children making.

Golfclap

57. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 19:31 Beamer

-------------

56. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 19:14 Quboid

Don't be daft, Trump supporters hate it when someone's "free speech" is "infringed". It's well known that they consider the idea of words having consequences to be fascism. (Bad fascism that is, not good old baby cages for non-whites.) Daft, I tells ya.

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 13:48:
It's so weird how people think GG is all hardcore gamers, instead of a very vocal minority of hardcore gamers who think that being able to use the n word in voice chat is of critical importance.

Yep, weird how they sometimes seem like an entitled, self-important echo chamber.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2018, 19:24.

55. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 19:08 Sepharo

54. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 17:13 RedEye9

Icewind wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 12:17:
I wonder how many extra copies of Firewatch GOG will sell and if it'll make up for the lost sales they're going to see due to this fiasco.

I did the math and GOG will actually sell 17.2% more copies of Firewatch now than they would have sold before this NON-fiasco.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

53. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 13:48 Beamer

-------------

52. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 13:22 Quboid

Icewind wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 12:17:
The vast majority of the responses are mad at GOG for apologizing. IMHO, they've made things worse by saying they were wrong, since GOG has always skewed more towards core gamers who abandoned Steam due to DRM. That's just what I'm seeing.

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1019896004294922242

My own personal two cents?

The types they're apologizing to only play walking sims, so I wonder how many extra copies of Firewatch GOG will sell and if it'll make up for the lost sales they're going to see due to this fiasco.

Once Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, people will have forgotten this though, and they'll be bathing in money.

Uh, no. The people mad at GOG for apologising are basically GamerGate morons, of course they're making a lot of noise. That's what they do, get offended at anything that they can twist into supporting their victim complex. Only playing walking sims is not the only alternative to being a member of an abusive, misogynistic movement.

51. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 12:17 Icewind

The vast majority of the responses are mad at GOG for apologizing. IMHO, they've made things worse by saying they were wrong, since GOG has always skewed more towards core gamers who abandoned Steam due to DRM. That's just what I'm seeing.

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1019896004294922242

My own personal two cents?

The types they're apologizing to only play walking sims, so I wonder how many extra copies of Firewatch GOG will sell and if it'll make up for the lost sales they're going to see due to this fiasco.

Once Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, people will have forgotten this though, and they'll be bathing in money.

50. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 10:08 Beamer

BOOM!

/rant

-------------

49. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 10:07 Beamer

Prez wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 09:35:
I agree that unintentional offenses are worth apologizing for. And I agree that from a business perspective it makes sense to apologize for certain things that individually you wouldn't apologize for just to diffuse a controversy. What gets me is how readily people make the jump from a shot at games journalism - something that all of a sudden is apparently taboo??? - to association with a movement that is effectively recognized as the modern day embodiment of misogyny when slagging off games journalism has been a pastime of hardcore gamers since Computer Gaming World was shipping magazines. If I say that VG247 is a garbage gaming news source is it at all reasonable for me to be called a "Gamergater" or whatever? If stupid people want to make enormous and inexplicable leaps in logic I can't help that, but even being a polite person who goes out of his way to be nice to people (who deserve it or haven't made it to my asshole list yet) that is something I would never in a million years apologize for because doing so is helping propagate a false narrative and feeding the agenda of the types of people I utterly despise.

I think VG247 is dumb, though they've probably had people threatening whoever they are because of GG, so they're extra sensitive.

I think the people angry over the apology are dumbest, though.

-------------

48. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 09:47 Quinn

BOOM!

/rant

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

47. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 09:35 Prez

I agree that unintentional offenses are worth apologizing for. And I agree that from a business perspective it makes sense to apologize for certain things that individually you wouldn't apologize for just to diffuse a controversy. What gets me is how readily people make the jump from a shot at games journalism - something that all of a sudden is apparently taboo??? - to association with a movement that is effectively recognized as the modern day embodiment of misogyny when slagging off games journalism has been a pastime of hardcore gamers since Computer Gaming World was shipping magazines. If I say that VG247 is a garbage gaming news source is it at all reasonable for me to be called a "Gamergater" or whatever? If stupid people want to make enormous and inexplicable leaps in logic I can't help that, but even being a polite person who goes out of his way to be nice to people (who deserve it or haven't made it to my asshole list yet) that is something I would never in a million years apologize for because doing so is helping propagate a false narrative and feeding the agenda of the types of people I utterly despise.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2018, 09:56.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

46. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 09:22 Beamer

Prez wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 08:59:
Kajetan wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 05:42:
NKD wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 19:04:
It was a mistake for them to respond to this. No one gave a shit outside of SJW land until they apologized. Everyone else has forgotten GamerGrapes.
But it wasnt a mistake to use Gamergate to promote something?
Interesting ...

People keep saying that GOG was consciously referencing Gamergate with the ad. I haven't seen anything to indicate that. Am I missing something? Did they admit that was what they were doing somewhere and I missed it? If so, then yeah, dumb move.

Otherwise, I might point out that this was an ad for a game that was released long before GG was ever a thing, and was critically panned by game journalists not for being a bad game, but largely for being in poor taste in their view. The gamers almosts universally loved it. In that context the pissing on game journalism inference makes perfect sense and is in no way something they should apologize for. At most concisely state that it was never intended to be a GG inference and be done with it. Again, if I missed where they admitted it was, then that's on me.

I doubt they consciously referenced GG. Why would they wade into that? But it's entirely reasonable to make the connection between it and GG. Like it's reasonable to think GOG didn't intend that. Like it's then reasonable for them to apologize for a connection people are reasonably making, and reasonably unhappy with, that GOG didn't intend.

I apologize for things I didn't mean to do all the time. Did I bump into you? I apologize for it. I didn't mean to bump into you, but it happens. I'm not weak for apologizing, I did something that you didn't like, whether I meant to or not, and it wasn't my intention. Apologizing so that you know it wasn't my intention is worth more than any pride over not apologizing because you can deal with the fact that I bumped into you. Or maybe I didn't bump into you, maybe I didn't realize you were behind me and didn't hold the door. Maybe I accidentally cut you off walking out of a store. Maybe it's taking me a minute longer than expected to find my ID before walking into your club. Whatever.

-------------

45. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 08:59 Prez

Kajetan wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 05:42:
It was a mistake for them to respond to this. No one gave a shit outside of SJW land until they apologized. Everyone else has forgotten GamerGrapes.
Interesting ...

People keep saying that GOG was consciously referencing Gamergate with the ad. I haven't seen anything to indicate that. Am I missing something? Did they admit that was what they were doing somewhere and I missed it? If so, then yeah, dumb move.

Otherwise, I might point out that this was an ad for a game that was released long before GG was ever a thing, and was critically panned by game journalists not for being a bad game, but largely for being in poor taste in their view. The gamers almosts universally loved it. In that context the pissing on game journalism inference makes perfect sense and is in no way something they should apologize for. At most concisely state that it was never intended to be a GG inference and be done with it. Again, if I missed where they admitted it was, then that's on me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 05:42 Kajetan

Interesting ...

43. Re: GOG.com Tweet Backlash Jul 20, 2018, 01:53 Red886

well , i'm only on Bluesnews and Hardocp.

Games journalism veers too far left and bends well over for publishers these days.

before that, there was ve3d.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >