Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions

Blizzard announces that all the World of Warcraft expansions up to, and including, Legion, are now accessible to all subscribers to their MMORPG. This news comes as they gear up for next month's launch of the Battle for Azeroth expansion. Here are the details:
The Battle for Azeroth pre-patch is here, and with this update we’re making some exciting changes to the way players access to World of Warcraft. Starting today, new players can gain access to all World of Warcraft content up through and including the Legion expansion simply by becoming a subscriber—you no longer need to purchase the original World of Warcraft base game. In addition, all existing World of Warcraft subscribers have automatically been upgraded to Legion at no additional cost.

Today we’re also updating the World of Warcraft: Complete Collection for new subscribers, which includes all seven expansions—including a digital pre-purchase of the upcoming Battle for Azeroth—30 days of game time*, and one Level 110 Character Boost.

Give the Gift of Battle for Azeroth
The next chapter of World of Warcraft is almost here, and it’s the perfect time to help your friends and family get into the action by giving the gift of Battle for Azeroth!

Once you’ve pre-purchased Battle for Azeroth and assembled your allies, it’s time to get ready for the global launch. . . .

Battle for Azeroth™: One Launch to Rule Them All
Mark your calendar for August 14!** For the first time in World of Warcraft® history, the next expansion—Battle for Azeroth—will launch in the Americas, Europe, Taiwan, Korea, and Australia/New Zealand at the same time. Wherever you live and whatever faction you fight for, you can be part of one globally unified front as the battle for Azeroth begins. See the complete launch schedule here.

Whether you’re Alliance or Horde, it’s time to heed the call of battle!

*30 days of game time available for new subscriptions only.
**To align with other regions, the Americas will launch slightly ahead of August 14 in local time. Learn more.
View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 19, 2018, 08:01 Jonjonz

I think this is just a move to further make the game accessible to more morons with at least $30 a month to spend.

I am sure having to buy a box and then buy a subscription was just too inconvenient for many short attention span proles.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 19, 2018, 06:19 Muscular Beaver

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 15:22:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 14:57:
WoW stopped being WoW with Cata.
The whole game felt like it was suddenly run by a whole different development team with totally new and different goals.

They dumbed down the game, questing and much more, and havent seen me again since then.
I agree with this, I started from the beginning and quit a few months into Cata.
Sometimes a friend of mine still plays it when a new expansion comes out, and tells me how it is, but she knows very well that its just a crappy game now and always stops after a few weeks again.

Its quite sad to see, remembering how much fun I had in that game with my friends, because it was what it was back then.

I might actually try the classic servers, if they do them right.
What do you want to see with the Vanilla servers? Since I did play the game from the beginning this does have some appeal to me, but I'm not sure what I would expect it to be...
I guess something like a progression server.
I played on a classic server (Kronos) and didnt like it for long because the content got boring too quickly and getting equipment in PvP was very tedious. So I think getting the expansions after a while would be nice. But I only like the expansions up to WotLK, so that might be an issue.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

35. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 19, 2018, 06:16 Muscular Beaver

Kxmode wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 15:18:
WoW stopped being They dumbed down the game, questing and much more, and havent seen me again since then.

Having played both vanilla and the recent iteration it always cracks me up with how wrong people are here.

Blizzard didn't dumb down the game. They streamlined it. I know what you're thinking, and no those are not the same. There's PLENTY of challenging content in today's WOW. It is just presented in more streamlined ways, and at different tiers. Blizzard doesn't force you, as they did in vanilla, to do one-size-fits-all content. Now everyone can experience the same content in different play styles. Obviously, the most difficult that requires more skill to complete gives the best rewards.

Sentimentality is fun! I was on Nostalgia when it had an active concurrent player count of 15K. Besides the fact that Blizzard never designed WOW for those numbers (and especially on a PVP server. Strangethorn Vale was the worst!), I was on Nost's IVV team helping to smash bugs. There are so many things in vanilla that lacked quality of life polish that the gameplay wasn't "harder." It just made it less polished. I have no doubts you'll notice them when you play vanilla alongside today's WOW.
Theres more than just Raids and Dungeons.
I actually found the Cata 5-mans to be really challenging, until they dumbed those down as well with a patch, because people complained about them being too hard.
They dumbed down the talent trees, they dumbed down the abilities, they dumbed down questing, they took away my loved permanent tree form. They even dumbed down PvP.
I dont care what you call it.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

34. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 19, 2018, 04:19 Scheherazade

Kxmode wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 15:18:
WoW stopped being They dumbed down the game, questing and much more, and havent seen me again since then.

Having played both vanilla and the recent iteration it always cracks me up with how wrong people are here.

Blizzard didn't dumb down the game. They streamlined it. I know what you're thinking, and no those are not the same. There's PLENTY of challenging content in today's WOW. It is just presented in more streamlined ways, and at different tiers. Blizzard doesn't force you, as they did in vanilla, to do one-size-fits-all content. Now everyone can experience the same content in different play styles. Obviously, the most difficult that requires more skill to complete gives the best rewards.

Sentimentality is fun! I was on Nostalgia when it had an active concurrent player count of 15K. Besides the fact that Blizzard never designed WOW for those numbers (and especially on a PVP server. Strangethorn Vale was the worst!), I was on Nost's IVV team helping to smash bugs. There are so many things in vanilla that lacked quality of life polish that the gameplay wasn't "harder." It just made it less polished. I have no doubts you'll notice them when you play vanilla alongside today's WOW.

When they got rid of talent trees, and started forcing mono-spec builds, that was right around when things went downhill.

-scheherazade

33. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 23:22 Mr. Tact

Oh brother. Even if it was shit, which it wasn't, how could the making of a shitty game kill an entire genre of games? If that could happen nothing would be left, because I guarantee you there has been at least a few dozen shitty games made in any genre you would care to mention.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

32. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 23:09 Osc8r

The game was always shit and single highhandedly dumbed down and killed the entire MMO genre.  

31. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 17:54 Alamar

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 11:33:
Yifes wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 10:18:
Creston wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 10:08:
I guess the subscriber numbers have finally fallen low enough that Blizzard feels the need to go this route?

I don't know if it was always this way, but it's been like this for a very long time now. I remember trying WOW a few years ago and getting every expansion except for the latest one with a sub.
The change is the removal of the requirement to buy the base game. But yeah, for the last couple of expansions if you bought the new expansion you got all the previous ones "free".

And it's even less of a change, since the base game included a month... So $20 (the rare time it wasn't on sale) vs the $15 for that month now.

Quinn wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 11:14:
Any current WoW player here that can answet this question?

How is rerolling these days? Will it be lonely questing in empty areas and is all the player base endgame? Or is a fresh start very doable?

With Cross Realm Zones, there are more visible players out in the world... And there are always people leveling, so LFD is active.

They recently made some changes to pre-WoD leveling where all content scales... Some of it's good (not being forced out of a zone), some of it's bad (Mobs aren't as ridiculously easy, and some level ranges feel slow, and you're going 110 levels these days, so even if it were fast per level, so many levels makes the entirety feel sluggish).

30. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 17:35 Kxmode

KS wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 16:53:
Some of the previous expansion continents are now auto-level of monsters to you, so you can choose which to go to to level rather than being stuck on fixed progression, i.e. must go to this one for 10 levels, then that one.

That progression worked surprisingly well in Legion. I found the story associated with the Suramar zone engaging enough that when I reached the level cap, I continued working on quests. It also helps that as a GW2 player I'm used to new content and expansions staying at the level 80 cap, and merely introducing mastery perks.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

29. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 16:53 KS

Some of the previous expansion continents are now auto-level of monsters to you, so you can choose which to go to to level rather than being stuck on fixed progression, i.e. must go to this one for 10 levels, then that one.  

28. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 16:26 Agent.X7

aka_STEVE wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 13:27:
last step to fix everything ----> add a Battle Royale Mode !!!!!!!

...or 'SEASONS' .... that usually fixes everything.

They have added so many tacked on things - Pet Battles (Pokemon) etc. that I have no doubt Battle Royal mode is coming soon.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

27. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 15:56 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 13:57:
Cutter wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 13:07:
I tried it again 2 years back? The WoD expansion. It was fucking horrible. Nothing but pure grind. I cancelled after a month and that's it, WoW is done IMO.
Really? Interesting. I rejoined for Legion, but I started with about a month left in WoD -- by the time I was done with Legion I was thinking I should have gone back for WoD instead of Legion...

In order to get flight in the new area. You had to grind faction rep with 3 different factions I think it was. And one of them you could only do by grinding elite mobs. It was totally insane and stupid. R. Kelly is right in saying there's nothing wrong with a little bump and grind, but all grind is no bueno.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

26. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 15:24 Luke

The fall.........  

25. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 15:22 Mr. Tact

The whole game felt like it was suddenly run by a whole different development team with totally new and different goals.

They dumbed down the game, questing and much more, and havent seen me again since then.
I agree with this, I started from the beginning and quit a few months into Cata.
Sometimes a friend of mine still plays it when a new expansion comes out, and tells me how it is, but she knows very well that its just a crappy game now and always stops after a few weeks again.

Its quite sad to see, remembering how much fun I had in that game with my friends, because it was what it was back then.

What do you want to see with the Vanilla servers? Since I did play the game from the beginning this does have some appeal to me, but I'm not sure what I would expect it to be...

24. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 15:18 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

23. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 14:57 Muscular Beaver

22. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 14:41 Jagacademy

Quinn wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 12:09:
Keilun wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 12:04:
Quinn wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 11:14:
Any current WoW player here that can answet this question?

How is rerolling these days? Will it be lonely questing in empty areas and is all the player base endgame? Or is a fresh start very doable?

It's pretty dead. On occasion you might encounter a few people here or there, but it's mostly dead, particularly with the handouts of free level 90/100 (and soon to be 110) level up boosts packaged with the expansions. Thankfully though, you'll find it's pretty quick to level up through those initial levels. LFD is usually the quickest way to go about it.

The more recent expansion is more populated though so it doesn't feel completely barren like the classic zones and early xpacks. MoP, WoD and Legion areas are pretty well populated.

I've since quit Legion now though as it's gone back to the usual endgame grind. Not sure if I'll bother with BfA

Thanks mate. This will help me in my decision making greatly!

Unfortunately a bit of what he said is now outdated as of just a couple months ago. They recently completely nerfed Dungeon leveling and simultaneously made it take significantly longer to level from 1-110. I was about to resub two months ago in order to manually level a character in preparation of the expansion when I found out that this had just taken place, and decided against it.

21. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 14:12 Brazor

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 11:28:
Any news on Vanilla? Thats the only thing I might consider playing again. The subscription model is kind of turning me off, and I can't see Blizz going F2P, or even the pay Once route and micro-transactions.
They are still a ways off with Classic servers. The last I heard is that they will require the same subscription to have access to them.

20. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 13:57 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 13:07:
I tried it again 2 years back? The WoD expansion. It was fucking horrible. Nothing but pure grind. I cancelled after a month and that's it, WoW is done IMO.
Really? Interesting. I rejoined for Legion, but I started with about a month left in WoD -- by the time I was done with Legion I was thinking I should have gone back for WoD instead of Legion...

19. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 13:51 jdreyer

Rhett wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 11:00:
Meanwhile, in Diablo 4 land...

crickets

Meanwhile, in Half Life 3 land...

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Wow Subscriptions Now Include All Expansions Jul 18, 2018, 13:27 aka_STEVE

last step to fix everything ----> add a Battle Royale Mode !!!!!!!

...or 'SEASONS' .... that usually fixes everything.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >