Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

James Ohlen Departs BioWare

James Ohlen tweets that he is retiring from BioWare after 22 years:

After 22 years I have retired from BioWare. I've loved my time with Anthem, Star Wars, Dragon Age and Dungeons and Dragons. But I need to take a break from the industry and work on something a little smaller and more personal.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 15, 2018, 17:13 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Jul 15, 2018, 01:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 21:11:
But also Edmonton that made the ME3 ending

Rats! Hmmm....

Well see the upside, no way can they make anything in Anthem *worse* then the baby reaper fight in ME2 and the AI ex-machina in ME3 nor the entire plot of Andromeda

If they'd manage that it'd be a stunning underachievement

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 15, 2018, 01:11 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 21:11:

Rats! Hmmm....

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

12. Re: Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 14, 2018, 21:11 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 16:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 12:29:
That EA didn't support Andromeda post release properly is why to me Anthem might as well not exist. That Andromeda story was sequel bait and did not resolve fuck all. And the writing quality is an insult. That quality will no doubt continue in Anthem as it doesn't seem like they hired decent writers this time around either.

Remember Bioware Edmonton isn't Bioware Montreal. Montreal created Andromeda, but it is Edmonton who is responsible for Bioware's best titles.

11. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 14, 2018, 16:48 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 12:29:
That EA didn't support Andromeda post release properly is why to me Anthem might as well not exist. That Andromeda story was sequel bait and did not resolve fuck all. And the writing quality is an insult. That quality will no doubt continue in Anthem as it doesn't seem like they hired decent writers this time around either.

Remember Bioware Edmonton isn't Bioware Montreal. Montreal created Andromeda, but it is Edmonton who is responsible for Bioware's best titles.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

10. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 14, 2018, 16:42 Kxmode

1badmf wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 00:22:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 15:38:
NKD wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 15:10:
I thought Ohlen was still on SWTOR, not Anthem? But yeah 22 years at one company, man that's a long time. Looks like he's getting into making D&D sourcebooks. Sounds a lot less stressful.

I'm sure it'll have stress, but nothing like the stress associated with developing video games.

imagine the stress of those devs that made andromeda, both during its fucked up development AND the post-launch drama.

They created that stress both in their collective ideas and in grafting their beliefs into their work and pushing it out to a demographic that was neither ready for it nor wanted it. That said, I played Andromeda and liked it for the reason that it is a good game. However, I wouldn't call it excellent, nor a worthy entry into the Mass Effect IP.

9. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 14, 2018, 12:29 eRe4s3r

1badmf wrote on Jul 14, 2018, 00:22:
I thought Ohlen was still on SWTOR, not Anthem? But yeah 22 years at one company, man that's a long time. Looks like he's getting into making D&D sourcebooks. Sounds a lot less stressful.

I'm sure it'll have stress, but nothing like the stress associated with developing video games.

imagine the stress of those devs that made andromeda, both during its fucked up development AND the post-launch drama.

8. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 14, 2018, 00:22 1badmf

7. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 13, 2018, 15:38 Kxmode

6. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 13, 2018, 15:10 NKD

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

5. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 13, 2018, 10:11 panbient

At this point in my life there are only a handful of things I've done for 22 consecutive years or more - and working for the same company certainly isn't one of them.

More power to this guy. No need to destroy your midlife with the endless stress of game development.

4. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 13, 2018, 03:13 MattyC

Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 22:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 21:32:
Unless I miscounted that's the 5th high profile leave mid-anthem development....

Anthem is at a state where he likely feels his time is no longer required.

Well, that and after 22 years he may just want to mix things up. He has been there since the very beginning with Shattered Steel hasn't he?

3. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 12, 2018, 22:53 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 21:32:
Unless I miscounted that's the 5th high profile leave mid-anthem development....

Anthem is at a state where he likely feels his time is no longer required.

2. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 12, 2018, 21:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, to be fair, Anthem has to be mostly done by now, as far as his work is concerned. Definitely going to be a year of tweaks and content trickling out or more, but the main pieces should all be done by now.

But yeah, major changing of the guard at Bioware.

1. Re: James Ohlen Departs BioWare Jul 12, 2018, 21:32 eRe4s3r

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo