Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Hacknet Free on Steam

Steam News announces the chance to get Hacknet for free, simply by adding it to your Steam library between now and July 14th at 1:00 pm EDT (thanks Steam Database via Ant). This supports Windows, macOS, and Linux, and makes use of actual Unix commands for your hax0ring. You can grep the following for more details:

Hacknet is an immersive, terminal-based hacking simulator for PC. Dive down a rabbit hoIe as you follow the instructions of a recently deceased hacker, whose death may not have been the accident the media reports. Using old school command prompts and real hacking processes, youíll solve the mystery with minimal hand-holding and a rich world full of secrets to explore.

Bit, a hacker responsible for creating the most invasive security system on the planet, is dead. When he fails to reconnect to his system for 14 days, his failsafe kicks in, sending instructions in automated emails to a lone user. As that user, itís up to you to unravel the mystery and ensure that Hacknet-OS doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

Exploring the volatile nature of personal privacy, the prevalence of corporate greed, and the hidden powers of hackers on the internet, Hacknet delivers a true hacking simulation, while offering a support system that allows total beginners get a grasp of the real-world applications and commands found throughout the game.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Hacknet Free on Steam Jul 13, 2018, 09:53  Blue 

Jagacademy wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 09:40:
Blue wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 22:18:
Jagacademy wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 22:00:
Wonderful, love it when the ending is spoiled in comments when I'm thinking about playing a game, lol.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and I'll delete the post (and yours since you quoted it), but I believe this was intended as humor?

My comment was intended as humor as well, guess we both should have used the /s tag, lol.

Someone had also reported the thread because of the "spoiler," and while it looked like a joke, I haven't played the game myself, so I wanted to make sure.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Hacknet Free on Steam Jul 13, 2018, 09:40 Jagacademy

Blue wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 22:18:
Wonderful, love it when the ending is spoiled in comments when I'm thinking about playing a game, lol.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and I'll delete the post (and yours since you quoted it), but I believe this was intended as humor?

My comment was intended as humor as well, guess we both should have used the /s tag, lol.

5. Re: Hacknet Free on Steam Jul 13, 2018, 06:48 Burrito of Peace

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 22:56:
It was a bad attempt at humor, apparently. Iíve not played the game, know nothing about it beyond the description. If thatís the real ending then maybe donít play it, as I meant ďyou actually destroy your machine because the hacking commands REALLY worked and fried your rigĒ.

The "hacking" commands aren't real tools and the few real Linux commands wouldn't work on your average Windows install anyway. Even were you to play the game on Linux, the most destructive command is "rm" and were the game to actually somehow pass that command to your actual system, you'd get a request prompt to elevate permissions. That would be a major red flag and nigh on impossible to truly happen anyway.

4. Re: Hacknet Free on Steam Jul 12, 2018, 22:56 HoSpanky

It was a bad attempt at humor, apparently. Iíve not played the game, know nothing about it beyond the description. If thatís the real ending then maybe donít play it, as I meant ďyou actually destroy your machine because the hacking commands REALLY worked and fried your rigĒ.  

3. Re: Hacknet Free on Steam Jul 12, 2018, 22:18  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Hacknet Free on Steam Jul 12, 2018, 22:00 Jagacademy

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 20:41:
The ending is a real mindfuck: you wipe the corporationís drives and force their CPUs to run at double speed. But then your computer stops working and you discover you formatted your own hard drive and your processor melted the board. It was real the whole time!

1. Re: Hacknet Free on Steam Jul 12, 2018, 20:41 HoSpanky

The ending is a real mindfuck: you wipe the corporationís drives and force their CPUs to run at double speed. But then your computer stops working and you discover you formatted your own hard drive and your processor melted the board. It was real the whole time!  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo