Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5

The new update is now live in Fortnite, bringing Epic's survival shooter to version 5.0 and kicking off the game's fifth season. The Season 5 announce trailer shows off what's new and the version 5.0 patch notes have all the details. This trailer takes a look at the new Season 5 Battle Pass which offers 100 tiers and over 100 rewards in exchange for 950 V-Bucks. Here are the changes to the Battle Royale mode which is the free-to-play tail that wags this big dog:

BATTLE ROYALE
WEAPONS + ITEMS

• Shotguns will now indicate how many pellets hit, visible within the reticle.
  • Adjusted shotgun spread patterns to be consistent with no random variation.
  • Heavy Shotgun now fires 10 pellets rather than 5.
    • Maximum damage for the Heavy Shotgun remains unchanged.
  • After firing a shotgun, another shotgun cannot be fired for a very short time.
  • Reduced Hunting Rifle aim assist when targeting to match that of other Sniper Rifles with projectile bullets.
  • Lowered the vehicle knockback strength on Grenade, Sticky Grenade, Grenade Launcher, and Rocket Launcher.
  • Tac and Silenced SMG environmental damage now correctly matches player damage.
  • Changed the damage drop-off profile for the Suppressed SMG to be the same as other SMGs.
    • Fall off starts at 24 meters from 28 meters.
    • Damage reduced to 80% at 35 meters from 85% at 47.5 meters.
    • Damage reduced to 65% at 50+ meters from 75% at 70+ meters.

GAMEPLAY

• All Terrain Kart (ATK)
    • The new All Terrain Kart (ATK) has room for your entire squad.
    • Get a speed boost after drifting.
    • The roof acts as a bounce pad.
    • Work together as rear passengers to leap over obstacles with the All Terrain Kart (ATK). Lean back and release at the same time for a higher jump.
      • Lean back by holding S on keyboards or holding back on the thumbstick for controllers.
  • Map Updated
    • New Biome: Desert
    • New Location: Paradise Palms
    • New Location: Lazy Links
    • A few unnamed POIs have also appeared across the island.
    • Minimap Updated
  • The center of Storm circles 7, 8, and 9 can now shift in random directions (instead of simply shrinking). As the storm closes in, it will move & shrink to the new location.
  • Starting in Season 5, progressive challenges will no longer be restricted to a single season. You can now complete progressive challenges at your own pace.
  • Progressive challenges are now completed by acquiring a fixed amount of XP and is no longer dependant on your season level.
  • Gyro/motion controls have been added to the Nintendo Switch. Adjust these options in the Settings menu.
  • Weekly challenges are now split into two sections, free and Battle Pass. The first 3 challenges will be available for free while the last 4 are only available if you own the Battle Pass. The threshold to unlock the weekly challenge reward will remain at 4.
  • Down But Not Out players now have smaller collision. Previously their collision was at the standing height which blocked DBNO players from crawling under doors and blocked building collision in some cases.
    • Players that were crouching when knocked Down But Not Out will be returned to a crouching state upon revival.
  • Emoting will now interrupt sprinting.
  • You now earn XP for reviving teammates in 50v50 and Teams of 20 LTMs up to three times per match (30XP, 10XP, 10XP).
  • Weapon reticle will now fade slightly when reloading, out of ammo, or changing weapons.
  • The player camera can now see out of the water when walking in lakes.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 19:57 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 17:56:
The PVE game as it is now is approaching its first anniversary, so anything older than that is really not representative of what it's like. I've been playing pretty regularly since I picked it up during the December sale and it was fun enough to hook me then, but even in those 7-ish months there have been several massive changes for the better. They range from basic gameplay things like sprinting no longer consuming the same energy pool you use for abilities to multiple additions in how you can obtain items without having to open loot boxes.

Along with the aforementioned freebies and shop with specific items bought with currency earned through gameplay, they recently enabled you to unlock almost anything you want directly if you have enough account-bound resources, including the ultra-rare hero classes. To give an idea of how valuable that is to the player, it really pissed off some individuals who had previously spent $100(0)+ on loot boxes trying to obtain one of these mythic heroes... If you ask me, that's a sure sign of a great update in a [soon-to-be] F2P game.

Yep good to know.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 19:55 HorrorScope

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 11:49:
Guess I am on the other side of the fence. My take is they should drop the PvE game so they can focus solely on BR. I believe the PvE is never going to earn .01% of what they have already earned on BR. But maybe the PvE is good backup investment if the BR craze ever crashes and burns, and that's why they keep it around.

Bottom line business wise you are probably correct, but also note it seems you condone that they should just do that. IF so, hope never to see you in other posts bitching about corporate greed, because right here, right now you are supporting it. I like to think there are some people over at Epic that are fine with how things are going with PvE, perhaps they even enjoy getting some game time in themselves.

14. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 18:06 Osc8r

Great to see things continually changing, however IMO:

They need more unique LTM modes like the Thanos gametype.

Stop nerfing shotguns and double pump.

Burst rifles need love.

Stop lowering the skill ceiling and catering to noobs. This isn't that dead Realm Royal game.

They need to fix 50v50 v3 server performance, it's been 3 weeks now and it's still laggy AF and they don't seem to be interested in fixing it. Their support is just an auto response and the forums are beyond useless as they are just full of posts about skins, memes, streamers and other fanboy BS.

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 10:20:
The BR mode is the most popular because it is free, but the PVE stuff is way better, IMO. It also got an update, but because you have to pay to access it, there are far fewer players and less media coverage. My girlfriend and I have gotten addicted recently, which is awesome because after the first few stages of the alpha I didn't relly like the direction it was going but now it seems to be back on track during early access.

I highly doubt it. The PVE mode should be free sometime this year and i bet it still won't have a tiny fraction of the amount of players as the BR game. PVE mode felt bland and repetitive (dungeon defenders was 100x better), without the BR mode to support it would have probably been canned by now. It didn't sell well at all.

13. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 17:56 jacobvandy

The PVE game as it is now is approaching its first anniversary, so anything older than that is really not representative of what it's like. I've been playing pretty regularly since I picked it up during the December sale and it was fun enough to hook me then, but even in those 7-ish months there have been several massive changes for the better. They range from basic gameplay things like sprinting no longer consuming the same energy pool you use for abilities to multiple additions in how you can obtain items without having to open loot boxes.

Along with the aforementioned freebies and shop with specific items bought with currency earned through gameplay, they recently enabled you to unlock almost anything you want directly if you have enough account-bound resources, including the ultra-rare hero classes. To give an idea of how valuable that is to the player, it really pissed off some individuals who had previously spent $100(0)+ on loot boxes trying to obtain one of these mythic heroes... If you ask me, that's a sure sign of a great update in a [soon-to-be] F2P game.

12. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 17:11 Desalus

Rigs wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 13:27:
I don't know exactly why, but whenever I see anything about Fortnite, I think they're talking about the next Everquest version that was being worked on. Wasn't it cancelled? Beats me why I keep getting them mixed up. Maybe because I don't play either. BR has never had any kind of appeal to me whatsoever. Then again, most multiplayer games don't appeal to me, unless they have a major PVE component or a single-player half. Guess I'm in a shrinking minority... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

Yeah, Everquest Next and Landmark were both cancelled.

I'm in the same boat as you. These days I'd much rather play a single player or co-op game rather than a multiplayer game. The only way I'm playing a multiplayer only game (outside of MMORPGs and co-op) is if it's free-to-play. Round after round of the same thing just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

11. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 14:49 Beamer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 13:47:
The BR mode is the most popular because it is free, but the PVE stuff is way better, IMO. It also got an update, but because you have to pay to access it, there are far fewer players and less media coverage. My girlfriend and I have gotten addicted recently, which is awesome because after the first few stages of the alpha I didn't relly like the direction it was going but now it seems to be back on track during early access.

Cool, it seemed like nobody on here had even played the PvE portion of Fortnite, and that seems far and away the more interesting side of the game to me. Maybe I'll pick the game up on sale after the 17th finally.

I played it at PAX something like 5 years ago, and again when the alpha hit. It didn't stick with me. It felt too long, the shooting felt too off, and the traps felt too iffy.

It felt like a lesser version of Orcs Must Die. But, again, that was years ago now, even the alpha was probably 18 months ago when I played, if not 24.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 13:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cool, it seemed like nobody on here had even played the PvE portion of Fortnite, and that seems far and away the more interesting side of the game to me. Maybe I'll pick the game up on sale after the 17th finally.

9. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 13:27 Rigs

I don't know exactly why, but whenever I see anything about Fortnite, I think they're talking about the next Everquest version that was being worked on. Wasn't it cancelled? Beats me why I keep getting them mixed up. Maybe because I don't play either. BR has never had any kind of appeal to me whatsoever. Then again, most multiplayer games don't appeal to me, unless they have a major PVE component or a single-player half. Guess I'm in a shrinking minority... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 11:49 RaZ0r!

Guess I am on the other side of the fence. My take is they should drop the PvE game so they can focus solely on BR. I believe the PvE is never going to earn .01% of what they have already earned on BR. But maybe the PvE is good backup investment if the BR craze ever crashes and burns, and that's why they keep it around.  

7. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 11:38 HoSpanky

Desalus wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 11:32:
Has there been any indication as to when Save the World is going to be free-to-play? I've been out of the gaming news loop for a few months.

I saw some mention that halfway thru season 5, STW should be going FTP, but that you won’t get free v-bucks once that happens. I assume you’d have an option to “buy in” to get the same rewards as current users. ALL THIS is hearsay, I have no info direct from the devs.

When STW goes on sale to $20, which it’s done at least 3 times, it’s a pretty good deal at that price point. You cAN spend more to get v-bucks faster, but that’s honestly only for super impatient players. There’s SO MUCH good stuff that’s handed out or bought with currency that’s only obtainable from gameplay. It’s a good “I’ve got a half hour, lemme knock out a mission” game, since it’s all self-contained randomly generated maps.

Edit:
from the patch notes:
Starting July 17, Save the World will be on sale on Xbox, PS4, and PC for a limited time. Super Deluxe and Limited Founders packs will return for the duration of the sale.

6. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 11:32 Desalus

Has there been any indication as to when Save the World is going to be free-to-play? I've been out of the gaming news loop for a few months.  

5. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 11:15 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 10:59:

Has the standard edition ever been on sale?

Standard edition has been on sale multiple times. My wife and I play the STW mode quite a bit, although the story ends (currently) when you enter the third zone. Patch 5.1 will start rectifying that, with “part 1” of the third zone’s story. It’s told entirely in audio clips, but the voice work is top notch and almost always very funny. Each event also has story stuff, the one that just ended had one of the funnier story arcs they’ve done. It involved a robot that got a “silver screen announcer” voice with the mental facilities of a five year old, a teenager who was convinced that the storm was going to kill his time traveling baby, and a rather sad story about a loner hero that kills husks in apparently grotesquely over the top ways. Even that last one managed to have funny bits, because Ray (the main voiced character, a robot determined to keep humanity alive) doesn’t understand humans much.

No matter how much you dislike the idea of playing Battle Royale, Save The World is a surprisingly fun game, that is generous enough with its loot that you don’t ever need to spend real money to keep advancing. The chat channels are packed with idiot kids and beggars, but play it with friends and you’ll find a fun, solid, and often laugh-out-loud funny (intentionally and unintentionally) game.

4. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 10:59 HorrorScope

Has the standard edition ever been on sale?

3. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 10:58 Rhett

I also own it and put a bit of money into it (the PVE), but haven't played in ages. At least they haven't abandoned it!  

2. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 10:20 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

1. Re: Fortnite 5.0 Kicks Off Season 5 Jul 12, 2018, 10:05 Rhett

Not that I play it, but PUBG - eat your fucking heart out!

This is what actual content looks like, not paid-to-open loot boxes with 5 pathetic bug fixes in a major patch.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo