Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Overwatch League on ESPN

The Overwatch League is moving on up, as ESPN announces the eSports league is coming to the ESPN, Disney and ABC family of networks. This includes The Overwatch League Playoffs, which begin this evening on Disney XD, ESPN3, and, of course, The Ocho. Word is: "The agreement matches a strategy both the networks and Blizzard have to bring Overwatch competition to a wider audience. While they recognize some potential crossover, each distribution point represents a different demographic that might be interested in watching the highest levels of Overwatch gameplay." Here's more:

Overwatch League is coming to the ESPN, Disney and ABC family of networks, ESPN, Disney and Blizzard Entertainment announced on Wednesday.

The multi-year broadcast deal includes the Overwatch League playoffs -- which begin Wednesday night -- the Season 1 grand finals from the Barclays Center in New York this month and Overwatch League Season 2 next year. In all, professional Overwatch will be broadcast in some fashion on the flagship ESPN network, ESPN2, Disney XD, ABC and streaming services for the term of the agreement.

It amounts to hundreds of hours of live and highlight programming across four networks, bringing Overwatch League competition for the first time to both linear and digital ESPN and Disney viewers. The agreement does not cancel existing distribution agreements already in place, like Twitch broadcasts.

"We are turning the corner here in terms of our interest and engagement in the esports category," ESPN Vice President of Digital Media Programming John Lasker said. "We've had an interest and have been watching pretty closely how the first year of the Overwatch League has been progressing, and we're really excited to be a part of this. Clearly by the way we're going to be covering it starting with the playoffs and the finals this year certainly speaks volumes to our excitement and our enthusiasm overall for esports moving forward."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 14, 2018, 17:02 Kxmode

Jivaro wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 01:35:
I am not sure I understand KX, perhaps you should try explaining it again and see if saying the same thing over again a different way (again) somehow makes me see this as anything other than a ridiculous fixation on something that literally couldn't matter less. /s

The X-Games are sports, the E-Sports are games...get over it.

This is why we have more than two genders. The definition of words are arbitrary. Who cares what the dictionary defines something as!

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2018, 21:33.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 13, 2018, 01:35 Jivaro

I am not sure I understand KX, perhaps you should try explaining it again and see if saying the same thing over again a different way (again) somehow makes me see this as anything other than a ridiculous fixation on something that literally couldn't matter less. /s

The X-Games are sports, the E-Sports are games...get over it.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2018, 01:45.

20. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 13, 2018, 00:14 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote:
Giving it airtime on ESPN doesn't make it a sport.

Is somebody arguing otherwise? I think you're tiltin at windmills.

19. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 13, 2018, 00:13 Kxmode

Jivaro wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 23:34:
..."but...I....must.....explain.....myself....they....don't...UNDERSTAND!!!!"...

I am not the one having difficulty understanding what is and is not a sport. Slapping the label "eSport" on the thing doesn't make it a sport. Giving it airtime on ESPN doesn't make it a sport. It's not a sport until Merriam-Webster says it is.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

18. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 23:34 Jivaro

..."but...I....must.....explain.....myself....they....don't...UNDERSTAND!!!!"...

17. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 23:09 Kxmode

Jivaro wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 19:44:
The argument as to whether esports are sports or not literally doesn't matter. Esports are here to stay and only getting more popular and if a network wants to broadcast them and take advantage of that popularity, your narrow minded definition of what they are and are not able to broadcast based on some sort of preconceived worldview because 'but it ain't sports and it's on a sports channel!' is not only irrelevant, it's silly in the first place.

They have like a billion espn channels or something, who cares if one of them is running esports anyway? weird thing to get bent about...or even be negative about.

The name E-SPORT literally means Electronic Sport. I'm saying putting sport in the label is actually incorrect because the entire thing is NOT a sport. It's COMPETITIVE SPECTATOR GAMING... or S-GAMING... or SG. It could also be called ARENA GAMING.

16. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 23:01 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 18:54:
Oh, I see, so you're an early adopter of hardwiring your brain directly to the computer... The rest of us plebes are still using our physical limbs to interact with the keyboard and mouse.

I've already stated eSports is more like Chess because it's not about physical skills. It's about mental ability. Moves and counter moves. But nobody classifies Chess as a sport (at least not that I know of). Likewise, no one should classify eSports as a sport. It doesn't fit the definition of what sports are. In other words, the meaning of it cannot change because it is now a "thing" on ESPN.

15. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 22:10 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 19:44:
The argument as to whether esports are sports or not literally doesn't matter. Esports are here to stay and only getting more popular and if a network wants to broadcast them and take advantage of that popularity, your narrow minded definition of what they are and are not able to broadcast based on some sort of preconceived worldview because 'but it ain't sports and it's on a sports channel!' is not only irrelevant, it's silly in the first place.

They have like a billion espn channels or something, who cares if one of them is running esports anyway? weird thing to get bent about...or even be negative about.

Frealz.
Just shows how boring people are that they want to have this same debate for 15 years instead of recognize the distinction between Sports and eSports. Fine it's a different thing. Who cares, I watch it because I enjoy it not because I want it to be a "real sport". Silliness.

14. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 19:44 Jivaro

13. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 19:36 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 18:24:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 17:10:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 01:08:
eSports ISN'T sports, and it will NEVER be a sport regardless of what anyone says. It's not a physical activity.

As a former DotA player that can no longer stay competitive due to aging reactions times and probably the onset of crippling arthritis I wholeheartedly disagree.

"Sport includes all forms of competitive physical activity or games which, through casual or organized participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators."

I assume most of you are intelligent enough to know what makes sports, sports. eSports is NOT sports and putting them on ESPN doesn't change the definition of what it is. It just makes ESPN silly and foolish for trying to create something that isn't a sport, a sport.

So you mind control your mouse and keys? Hand eye coordination is clear as day a physical ability, skill and activity.

12. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 18:54 jacobvandy

Oh, I see, so you're an early adopter of hardwiring your brain directly to the computer... The rest of us plebes are still using our physical limbs to interact with the keyboard and mouse.  

11. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 18:24 Kxmode

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 17:10:
eSports ISN'T sports, and it will NEVER be a sport regardless of what anyone says. It's not a physical activity.

As a former DotA player that can no longer stay competitive due to aging reactions times and probably the onset of crippling arthritis I wholeheartedly disagree.

"Sport includes all forms of competitive physical activity or games which, through casual or organized participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators."

I assume most of you are intelligent enough to know what makes sports, sports. eSports is NOT sports and putting them on ESPN doesn't change the definition of what it is. It just makes ESPN silly and foolish for trying to create something that isn't a sport, a sport.

10. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 17:10 SimplyMonk

9. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 13:13 Kxmode

MT Silver wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 04:28:
Nobody's gonna turn on the television to watch some "mental exercises". They turn it on to watch sports. This is about MONEY. The execs at ESPN don't give one rats ass about the definition of words. All they care about is "how many people will tune in" and "can this lead to more monetisation?".
That's why eSports is growing stronger every day. It's a new, untapped market for the 1% to get their claws into.

I already stated that bluntly in one iteration of my comment. Then I changed it to "I guess it's much easier to get ad revenue from the glitz of an eSports tournament than a chess tournament." IOW, it's all about the money.

8. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 09:01 Prez

According to Twitch.com stats matches were viewed almost 110 million times in the first season of OWL. Clearly there's an audience. Personally I'm going to keep watching on Twitch, but I imagine that more people will be watching on ESPN than most people think. ESPN stepped out of the realm of exclusively traditional sports long ago, so I don't see this as weird at all.

As an aside Zoey is hot af.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 06:40 Luke

Economicsport for Manga lovers...kindergarten shit  

6. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 06:37 loomy

"and, of course, The Ocho." lol I don't know what this is, but I know what it means. blue always gets me with his wit, so I keep coming back for more  

5. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 05:29 eRe4s3r

There are MANY other activities I would classify as sports. Parkour, horseshoe, cricket, croquet, badminton, tetherball, squash, and so forth. eSports ISN'T sports, and it will NEVER be a sport regardless of what anyone says. It's not a physical activity. It's a mental exercise and belongs in the same category as games like chess, checkers, and risk. Games of strategy and out-thinking opponents. But I guess it's much easier to get ad revenue from the glitz of an eSports tournament than a chess tournament (frankly, I'd rather watch a chess tournament).

If Poker tournaments can exist, so can vidya game tournaments

4. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 05:15 DangerDog

At first I was like, wow who is going to tune in and watch a bunch of geeks play video games but then I thought this might be a good thing, I don't know about Overwatch but with Starcraft at least now Asians can get in on the whole sports thing too. Most kids don't even know who Yao Ming was.

3. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 04:28 MT Silver

Nobody's gonna turn on the television to watch some "mental exercises". They turn it on to watch sports. This is about MONEY. The execs at ESPN don't give one rats ass about the definition of words. All they care about is "how many people will tune in" and "can this lead to more monetisation?".
That's why eSports is growing stronger every day. It's a new, untapped market for the 1% to get their claws into.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo