Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 22:03 RedEye9

Way to go Elon, now blast the government lackeys who caused the problem in the first place into space.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 18:22 YourNick

Fine, who instead of whom. Speaking of proper English, I couldn't find hurhurlol in the Oxford dictionary!

Agreed, 611K might not be bad. However:
"Valve isnít giving a hard figure on how many active VR headsets are on their platform, but we can work out a reasonable estimate. "
If that estimation is in the ballpark, that's nothing to be ashamed of, why not just give one hard figure about Steam VR adoption? Also I wouldn't get caught up so much on the offhand comment that started with the word 'might', could be another fixation candidate!

3DTV was killed off by the manufacturers, even LG stopped making them recently. Like VR perhaps it didn't have a huge following, but I think just as many people used the 3D portion of 3DTVs as people use VR. Both share the core stereoscopy element.

Also people might have gotten turned off by active 3D (passive 3D is much better.) Similarly with VR the low res is a turn off, Vive Pro might be too late (and too expensive.) 3D standards never capitalized on the full 8.3 mega pixels of 4K, potentially 4MP per eye as opposed to 1MP per eye on Blu-Ray 3D discs (passive 3D showing to both eyes at the same time.)

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2018, 20:01.

17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 16:38 Orogogus

YourNick wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 15:39:
You're right, I'm the only one so far whom is actually addressing the article on the article comment page, imagine that!

It's "who", not "whom," here, since it's the subject of the clause and not an object.

Anyway, a hurhurlol comment on the level of "Is this the patch that makes the game fun?" didn't seem to demand deep discussion. 611K seems like a lot to me considering the state of the hardware and software, and the idea that it's being skewed by people lending headsets out for use on their friends' Steam accounts doesn't sound plausible. The Rift and Vive are kind of a hassle to set up, and why would non-headset owning people have a VR library? Setting up a family sharing account is a minor pain compared to moving the rig and base stations around. It's an edge case scenario that I'd be amazed to see top 0.01% of the 611K.

I'm not enormously discouraged by the current state. I think the PSVR, Rift, Vive and WinMR headsets are at reasonable price points ($400-500) for people who are interested to check them out; I don't feel they're out of reach for people who really want to get them. The technology and price aren't improving as quickly as I'd hope -- I think the Vive Pro kind of is too expensive for the enthusiast market, and none of the other players seem to have anything in the near future -- but it seems to me that VR is at least stable enough that I'd expect it to still be around and improving in 5 and 10 years. It's got the kind of enthusiast base that got on board with Adlib soundcards or any of the pre-3dfx accelerators, and I don't feel it's something that's going to die off like 3DTV.

Unlike soundcards or 3D acceleration, though, I think VR is something that wouldn't be for everyone even if it was free and much more advanced. So it's more like a steering wheel, gamepad or joystick. And I think 611K seems pretty healthy in that respect.

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 15:39 YourNick

You're right, I'm the only one so far whom is actually addressing the article on the article comment page, imagine that! You're fixating on which formula to use. Moreover, the original concept still stands regardless of whether the result is 160 or 260, yes regardless of which formula.

Now, any comments on any of these articles in this article comment section, or do you have other motives in mind?

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 15:32 Beamer

YourNick wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 15:18:
As I said before, I never suggested how many would interpret this way or that way. Also there are many ways to word increases in value (whatever the formula used), such as:
"surged", "jump", "percent increase over" (this ones seems more specific)

In many instances at least 2 absolute terms are given in conjunction to percentages, such as
-initial value and final value
-initial value and increase in absolute terms
-final value and increase in absolute terms

It would clear it up fast if they'd do this in this article (even just one value in absolute terms would give people a ball park figure!) It gives absolute values for daily active users, but not VR. The article estimated 611,100 VR headsets were attached to PCs running Steam over the course of June 2018 via a hardware survey. Though attached doesn't mean actively using. Might even include someone borrowing one temporarily from a friend in some cases.

You're really on your own here. No one uses it the way you mean. Colloquially, an increase of 160% means X*160%. 100% of the time.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 15:18 YourNick

As I said before, I never suggested how many would interpret this way or that way. Also there are many ways to word increases in value (whatever the formula used), such as:
"surged", "jump", "percent increase over" (this ones seems more specific)

In many instances at least 2 absolute terms are given in conjunction to percentages, such as
-initial value and final value
-initial value and increase in absolute terms
-final value and increase in absolute terms

It would clear it up fast if they'd do this in this article (even just one value in absolute terms would give people a ball park figure!) It gives absolute values for daily active users, but not VR. The article estimated 611,100 VR headsets were attached to PCs running Steam over the course of June 2018 via a hardware survey. Though attached doesn't mean actively using. Might even include someone borrowing one temporarily from a friend in some cases.

13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 14:43 Beamer

YourNick wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 14:41:
Are up, the condition of being 'up'. Up for numbers means a greater value. Both 160 and 260 are a greater value than 100.

This should be easy, then. Find us an example of someone using it how you are using it. A reporter, financial analyst, corporation, whomever.

Meanwhile, the actual quote is that it's "a 160% YoY increase," which I hope isn't ambiguous to you.

-------------

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 14:41 YourNick

Are up, the condition of being 'up'. Up for numbers means a greater value. Both 160 and 260 are a greater value than 100.  

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 14:37 Orogogus

YourNick wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 14:27:
Are up means the new value is higher than the original value, it's as simple as that. It doesn't clarify which formula one should use.

Again, disagree. "Are up" means current + (current*%change). Millions of people have to use this in their annual, quarterly and monthly reports all the time and it's a standard terminology for which formula they're using.

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 14:27 YourNick

Are up means the new value is higher than the original value, it's as simple as that. It doesn't clarify which formula one should use.

I never suggested how many would interpret it this way or that way. However, no matter what the result of such a survey, the fact remains it doesn't specify.

"He's saying that "up 60%" and "up 160%" are the same. "
Uh no, 60 and 160 are different numbers, sorry.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 14:20 Beamer

Orogogus wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 14:13:
I disagree that anyone would read it the way you are.

Are up, have increased, have grown: Everyone, especially people who have to generate or read these numbers in their job, knows that means current + current*(% change).

If they wanted to say current*(% change), they would say that they have or there are x% compared to last year ("we have 25% as many users compared to last year," or "there are 840% as many users in the US", or whatever). "840% more users," however, would mean 940% total.

It's not an ambiguous phrasing.

You're 100% correct. He's saying that "up 60%" and "up 160%" are the same. They aren't. The word "up" means it's increased by that amount. Up 60% means 160% of last year, but having the word "up" clearly demonstrates that isn't what was implied.

-------------

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 14:13 Orogogus

I disagree that anyone would read it the way you are.

Are up, have increased, have grown: Everyone, especially people who have to generate or read these numbers in their job, knows that means current + current*(% change).

If they wanted to say current*(% change), they would say that they have or there are x% compared to last year ("we have 25% as many users compared to last year," or "there are 840% as many users in the US", or whatever). "840% more users," however, would mean 940% total.

It's not an ambiguous phrasing.

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 13:54 YourNick

The title just said are up. Yes, if it stayed the same that means it didn't go up... (response to a comment that has been edited)  

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 13:52 Bodolza

redundant comment removed  

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 13:50 YourNick

No 10% wouldn't result in the original value going up. They said 160%, and both of the 2 methods would result in the original value going up.  

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 13:45 Orogogus

I don't think it's ambiguous. If they said it was up 100%, everyone should know it doubled. If they said up 10%, I don't think anyone would read that as having gone down 90%.  

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 13:20 YourNick

Depends on how it's interpreted. "Are up" isn't very specific. 160% of 100 is 160. However, whether that is the new value, or rather that is what you add to the current value is up in the air. So the new value would either be 160 or 260. Similar confusion with WoW mount speeds, I believe that was (current + current*ratio), with ratio being decimal form of percentages, i.e. 50% = 0.5.

Point is why don't they just give the actual numbers.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 13:09 Orogogus

YourNick wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 08:32:
Used to be 100 VR users, now there are VR 160 users?

That's not even how the math would work out. If it went up 100%, the new total wouldn't be 100.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 08:32 YourNick

Used to be 100 VR users, now there are 160 VR users?

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2018, 13:21.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo