Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is July 11th, the annual chance to get a free Slurpee from 7-Eleven in honor of 7/11. This is in participating U.S. locations as a way of punishing Europe for writing dates backwards and for being too classy to be covered with convenience stores. This story on PEOPLE.com says the company expects to serve up about nine million Slurpees today, and also outlines other freebies they are giving out this week. Just be careful to avoid the dreaded brain freeze!

Frosty Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Hue Cat.
Cliff Diving.
Boombox Inc.
Stories: "Thrones" Spin-Off Pilot To Film In October.
Southwest Airlines to stop serving peanuts on flights. Thanks LinkedIn.
Burglar in escape room calls the cops for help to get out.
Science: Higgs boson observed decaying into pairs of b quarks. Thanks RedEye9.
The Battle Over the Hendra Horse Vaccine in Australia. Thanks Max.
The Truth About 'Reef Safe' Sunscreen.
Media: Quicksave - Epic NPC Man - Viva La Dirt League.
Honest Trailers - Rampage.
ELDERS PLAY FNAF:ULTIMATE CUSTOM NIGHT - Five Nights at Freddy's (Elders React- Gaming).
Follow-up: Thai cave rescue: how the 12 boys finally escaped the cave.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2018, 13:37 Kxmode

TheBigVlad wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 08:10:
That's gonna be a beast.

Thanks! I haven't done a full upgrade since 2006.

One thing though, do you plan on installing games on the 500GB SSD or basically just use it for OS? Seems small for both if you plan to put games on it. ... I think there's a noticeable difference in loading speed when gaming on an SSD but I honestly can't remember how big of an improvement over HD it is since I haven't used an HD for games in a long time.

The current plan for the SSD is the OS with apps and games that I feel would benefit the most from the SSD's performance. For example,

APPs
Yes = Adobe's products
No = ACID music production, CPUz, Microsoft Office, and so forth

GAMES
Yes = Conan Exiles, Watchdogs 2, Guild Wars 2, Deliverance: Kingdom Come
No = Guild Wars 1, Terraria, Curse of the Monkey Island, 0N 0W, ABZ, Halo: Spartan Strike, Sudoku Zenkai, and so forth

I like having my games on SSD so if it were me I would probably have a 250GB SSD for the OS and a 1TB SSD for games, in addition to the 2TB HD for other storage.

I have a combined 5TB of external storage. It's my "public storage."

My computer at work only has an SSD while my potato computer at home has an older 5400 HDD. There's a HUGE difference between each. SSD Photoshop launches in about 3 seconds. HDD Photoshop lunches in about 40 seconds. Based on that, I've decided to put all the "heavy-hitter" apps and games exclusively on the SSD. If the performance is impressive, I may purchase another 1TB SSD and turn that into a tertiary drive.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Morning Patches Jul 12, 2018, 08:10 TheBigVlad

Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 01:19:
Final computer:

+ Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
+ Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
+ Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
+ Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
+ Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
+ Western Digital 2 TB Black (7200 SATA 6) - Picked up tonight
+ MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card
+ Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
+ EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
+ Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
+ Logictech G106 keyboard (cannibalizing from previous machine)
+ Logitech M510 mouse (cannibalizing)
+ DVD Burner (cannibalizing)
+ (2) LG 27" 4K UHD IPS screens (picked these up last year during Black Friday)

Total estimated spread-out cost: ~$3,500.00

That's gonna be a beast. One thing though, do you plan on installing games on the 500GB SSD or basically just use it for OS? Seems small for both if you plan to put games on it. I like having my games on SSD so if it were me I would probably have a 250GB SSD for the OS and a 1TB SSD for games, in addition to the 2TB HD for other storage. I think there's a noticeable difference in loading speed when gaming on a SSD but I honestly can't remember how big of an improvement over HD it is since I haven't used an HD for games in a long time.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2018, 04:24 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 17:12:
Wow, I'm guessing things are a might grim in England atm. So close, yet so very, very far.

British pundits were stupid to make fun of Croatia before the match.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2018, 01:19 Kxmode

Final computer:

+ Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
+ Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
+ Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
+ Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
+ Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
+ Western Digital 2 TB Black (7200 SATA 6) - Picked up tonight
+ MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card
+ Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
+ EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
+ Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
+ Logictech G106 keyboard (cannibalizing from previous machine)
+ Logitech M510 mouse (cannibalizing)
+ DVD Burner (cannibalizing)
+ (2) LG 27" 4K UHD IPS screens (picked these up last year during Black Friday)

Total estimated spread-out cost: ~$3,500.00

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2018, 00:28 1badmf

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 21:14:
Gah, that steelseries keyboard is actually a membrane keyboard, doh! I glanced at it quick at work and figured it was a competitively cheap mechanical one. Thanks for the link, Mr. Tact, although that particular model looks shockingly ancient, it'll give me bad flashbacks or something. I'll do some digging.

Horse owners in Australia: "The disease is fatal to horses and humans, but I heard a rumor about some possible side effects, also it isn't free so... fuck that vaccine!" Also basically anti-vaxxers in the USA, but I digress.

my current keyboard

spartan, functional, mechanical (brown switches). backlit with white only, comes with wrist rest.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 22:18 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 21:14:
Thanks for the link, Mr. Tact, although that particular model looks shockingly ancient, it'll give me bad flashbacks or something. I'll do some digging.
It is definitely old school in the looks department, but it is mechanical and cheap. They are essentially IBM keyboards, same people, same keyboards, no longer IBM. Personally, I love the lack of a "Windows" key.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 21:23 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 16:49:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 16:27:
Newegg's competing sales event is going on now. I prefer NewEgg for hardware. I like Amazon, but NewEgg makes the process of RMA'ing DOA tech WAY easier. 5 years ago a NewEgg rep RMA'ed a replacement mobo, before I sent the part back. I thought that was awesome of them.

Newegg doesn't work so well here. A) You can always find a better deal locally or on Amazon. B) You have to pay for shipping - both ways - here too. So both those things generally means no to Newegg.ca.

Their main corporate warehouse is located in City of Industry, CA. I live in greater Sacramento, CA. From a distribution standpoint, NewEgg is a better route. But, yeah, I can understand how Amazon would be the go-to e-commerce site for tech-buying Canadians.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 21:14 MoreLuckThanSkill

Gah, that steelseries keyboard is actually a membrane keyboard, doh! I glanced at it quick at work and figured it was a competitively cheap mechanical one. Thanks for the link, Mr. Tact, although that particular model looks shockingly ancient, it'll give me bad flashbacks or something. I'll do some digging.

Horse owners in Australia: "The disease is fatal to horses and humans, but I heard a rumor about some possible side effects, also it isn't free so... fuck that vaccine!" Also basically anti-vaxxers in the USA, but I digress.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 20:08 bigspender

The Battle Over the Hendra Horse Vaccine in Australia.
I'm not an anti-vaxer by any means, but wouldn't it just be better not to breed horses for enterntainment, instead of inventing a whole vaccine for a disease that wouldn't exist if it weren't for a bunch of tards that want to get drunk and gamble?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 17:12 Cutter

Wow, I'm guessing things are a might grim in England atm. So close, yet so very, very far.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 16:50 Mr. Tact

Haven't you heard? Trade wars are easy to win. Soon the US will be winning so much we'll get tired of winning!  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 16:49 Cutter

Kxmode wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 16:27:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 14:08:
Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 11:58:
So I almost pulled the trigger on a new SSD yesterday - Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND - as it was a rec buy from Tom's and a few other sites, then I remember this coming Monday is Prime Day, so I'll wait and see if it drops.

I did however buy a new keyboard yesterday - Steelseries Apex 150. Really nice so far. Keys are really quiet and have a great response. Backlighting is really good as well. The software allows for all manner of customization and it's spill resistant too. So if anyone is looking for a good keyboard at a good price I'd give it a rec.

I've been waiting for Prime Day hoping there'll be some good deals on laptops I'm interested in. I think some other stores, like Newegg, are going to have competing sales.

Newegg's competing sales event is going on now. I prefer NewEgg for hardware. I like Amazon, but NewEgg makes the process of RMA'ing DOA tech WAY easier. 5 years ago a NewEgg rep RMA'ed a replacement mobo, before I sent the part back. I thought that was awesome of them.

Newegg doesn't work so well here. A) You can always find a better deal locally or on Amazon. B) You have to pay for shipping - both ways - here too. So both those things generally means no to Newegg.ca.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 16:27 Kxmode

Pigeon wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 14:08:
So I almost pulled the trigger on a new SSD yesterday - Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND - as it was a rec buy from Tom's and a few other sites, then I remember this coming Monday is Prime Day, so I'll wait and see if it drops.

I did however buy a new keyboard yesterday - Steelseries Apex 150. Really nice so far. Keys are really quiet and have a great response. Backlighting is really good as well. The software allows for all manner of customization and it's spill resistant too. So if anyone is looking for a good keyboard at a good price I'd give it a rec.

I've been waiting for Prime Day hoping there'll be some good deals on laptops I'm interested in. I think some other stores, like Newegg, are going to have competing sales.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 16:12 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 15:26:
A nice breakdown on why the election can't get here soon enough.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/07/11/business/trade-war.html

That's a lot of circles.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 15:26 RedEye9

A nice breakdown on why the election can't get here soon enough.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/07/11/business/trade-war.html

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 14:51 Cutter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 12:20:
Hrm, that's not a bad looking keyboard, although I'd probably immediately turn all the lights off.

I had scoffed at mechanical keyboards for years, and then finally got a laptop with mechanical keys, and it's amazing. Now I want some mechanical goodness for my desktop PC, but without having to spend $100+ for one.

Well I bought this keyboard from Canada Computers here for $55 CDN. And I looked through a slew of other keyboards in the $25-$75 range on Amazon and this looked to be the best for the money. This guy has a good short review on the Youtubes.

Steelseries Apex 150 Gaming Keyboard Review

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 14:08 Pigeon

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 14:04 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 12:20:
Now I want some mechanical goodness for my desktop PC, but without having to spend $100+ for one.
Here ya' go.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 12:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, that's not a bad looking keyboard, although I'd probably immediately turn all the lights off.

I had scoffed at mechanical keyboards for years, and then finally got a laptop with mechanical keys, and it's amazing. Now I want some mechanical goodness for my desktop PC, but without having to spend $100+ for one.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2018, 11:58 Cutter

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo