Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings

The recent firing of two ArenaNet writers over Twitter exchanges prompts the International Game Developers Association to step up with a blog post from their executive director strongly urging that members clarify guidelines for social media use for both professional and personal accounts (thanks PC Gamer). Here's a bit:

Two ArenaNet employees were recently fired because of their interactions with community members on social media. This incident makes very clear the perils of social media for game developers, especially when transparent and well-understood guidelines for staff members are not in place. Often, game developers love engaging with their player base, and the interactions can be very helpful for both the developers and players. However, without clear information from an employer on social media use, interacting with people as a game developer can jeopardize someone’s job and career, and even their personal safety.

The IGDA strongly encourages its members, both as individuals and as studios and partners, to clarify the guidelines and expectations around social media use, both in professional and personal accounts.

Game developers are also frequently targeted for harassment, particularly if they are members of under-represented communities. Companies must plan for how they will support their staff members in the event of online harassment, and should clearly communicate the resources they will make available to their team to have safe, productive, and positive interactions online, especially if they are expected to do so in their roles.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 12, 2018, 03:48 Sepharo

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 03:45:
nomoreshite wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 07:45:
Ozmodan wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 20:07:
Icewind wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 19:11:
Simple fact is that Jessica Price was warned before in a previous job that she shouldn't mouth off on social media, but she did. Multiple times.

Another fact is that she brags about blocking people, but instead of blocking the person she argued with, she continued arguing with him over a couple days.

Also, if you read the logs, you'd see that the person she was arguing with was very respectful and understanding, she is just a narcissist that felt slighted.

https://twitter.com/Haunted_Backlog/status/1016112224669011968

Did you bother to read the logs? He was being very condescending. There was zero respect in any of his threads and his lack of understanding was why it got out of hand. Granted she should have never responded and let it get out of hand like that.

yeah we can read, not sure you can, if that's what you think the log says, either that or you didn't bother to read it all.

Speaking of reading, I can't even click on the archive.fo links
"Invalid Host name" - DNS does not resolve

Does that go to actual sites or am I left wondering what is behind those links?

They're working here but it's a mess.
Not really sure what I'm supposed to be seeing there.
Doesn't appear to be the original dude whose comment kicked this off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 12, 2018, 03:45 eRe4s3r

nomoreshite wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 07:45:
Simple fact is that Jessica Price was warned before in a previous job that she shouldn't mouth off on social media, but she did. Multiple times.

Another fact is that she brags about blocking people, but instead of blocking the person she argued with, she continued arguing with him over a couple days.

Also, if you read the logs, you'd see that the person she was arguing with was very respectful and understanding, she is just a narcissist that felt slighted.

Did you bother to read the logs? He was being very condescending. There was zero respect in any of his threads and his lack of understanding was why it got out of hand. Granted she should have never responded and let it get out of hand like that.

yeah we can read, not sure you can, if that's what you think the log says, either that or you didn't bother to read it all.

Speaking of reading, I can't even click on the archive.fo links
"Invalid Host name" - DNS does not resolve

Does that go to actual sites or am I left wondering what is behind those links?

21. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 11, 2018, 18:18 Squirmer

Hold on, are you referring to the most recent situation? The guy she responded to wasn't being condescending. I think his opinion was a kind of ignorant, but he was very polite and just offering his opinion.

There's a video recorded from his Twitch stream just the day before where he was absolutely effusive in his praise for Jessica Price. He had a great deal of respect for her.

She didn't really react to him, she reacted to the collective internet mob of 'mansplainers' and she unfairly dragged him through the coals. Mansplaining is a genuine issue, but his specific posts just didn't justify her reaction.

(For the record I still don't think she should have been fired though. I think there were mistakes made all round.)

20. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 11, 2018, 07:45 nomoreshite

19. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 20:07 Ozmodan

18. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jul 10, 2018, 19:58 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 18:59:
007Bistromath wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 12:49:
Primalchrome wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 11:52:
Free speech doesn't mean there aren't repercussions to being a closeminded dirtbag.
In what sense, then, is the speech free?

In the sense that the government can't fucking arrest you for being a closeminded dirtbag.

It does not mean everybody else has to put up with you being a closeminded dirtbag.

While I agree with that... I also don't agree with "Internet Mob Justice". (Not saying that this particular case was that). Often someone slips with something slightly offensive on the Internet... whether it be in poor taste or just an off "joke" and ends up losing a career over it.

There has to be some balance, even if one is being a dumbass.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

17. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 19:11 Icewind

16. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jul 10, 2018, 18:59 Creston

Free speech doesn't mean there aren't repercussions to being a closeminded dirtbag.

In the sense that the government can't fucking arrest you for being a closeminded dirtbag.

It does not mean everybody else has to put up with you being a closeminded dirtbag.

15. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 18:58 Creston

This incident makes very clear the perils of social media being a jerk and flying off the handle when someone offers polite critique, especially when transparent and well-understood guidelines for staff members are not in place

Guideline: Don't be a jerk and fly off the handle on social media.

14. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 14:51 Cyanotetyphas

After reading about everything, no strong feelings about Price (she's obviously slightly toxic although that seems pretty par for the course on twitter? And she's clearly being brigaded against), but I'm always surprised by how many people support corporations when it comes to gaming.  

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

13. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 13:17 Kxmode

The freedom of speech is supposed to protect speech that is deemed offensive or unpopular. It is alive and well in specific segments of society (e.g., protesting, religious, and so forth). Otherwise, every offensive word or phrase would be met with the harshest of responses. However, it is not a law, but a principle. And nowhere was that more clear than in this case. The principles of "freedom of speech" remain relative in the business world and open to varying degrees of application.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2018, 18:32.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

12. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jul 10, 2018, 13:14 Beamer

Jivaro wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 12:53:

For like the hundredth fucking time...it's free because you are free from repercussions from the governement.

Please tell me that was a joking "I am playing stupid" question and it flew over my head.

Probably not. So many people seem to think it should be free from people judging them as idiots and not wanting to be around them and/or the products they represent.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jul 10, 2018, 12:53 Jivaro

For like the hundredth fucking time...it's free because you are free from repercussions from the governement.

Please tell me that was a joking "I am playing stupid" question and it flew over my head.

10. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Jul 10, 2018, 12:49 007Bistromath

9. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 12:39 Kxmode

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

8. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 12:28 Primalchrome

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 12:08:
Anita says mostly mild things, it's just people seem so desperate to be offended by her that they twist it as much as they can to seem ludicrous.
I'll be the first to admit that she has some really great points and that I agreed with alot of the content in her videos....but she always feels the need to take it a few steps beyond reason. I realize that she's playing to an audience of outrage culture and maybe has to do this to get her requisite clicks, but that doesn't mean that I have to respect it. Maybe I should have used Jenny McCarthy as the other side of the spectrum.

Prez wrote:
There's no one to fire Ted Nugent or Anita Sarkeesian as they are not employees of any corporate entity.
Yeah, good point. But they're still getting their paychecks funded by people... Which, I guess it's a forlorn wish that consumers spent their money on more rational spokespeople.

7. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 12:23 Beamer

Prez wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 12:11:
There's no one to fire Ted Nugent or Anita Sarkeesian as they are not employees of any corporate entity.

Yup. They solely represent themselves. And whomever gives them a platform, but even then, those putting them on tv or wherever usually give disclaimers around it.

-------------

6. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 12:11 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 12:08 Beamer

That said, somehow you have looneys like Ted Nugent and Anita Sarkeesian and they manage to make a living...

Ted Nugent makes his on his music, somehow still, and Anita says mostly mild things, it's just people seem so desperate to be offended by her that they twist it as much as they can to seem ludicrous. Most of her videos are basically "yeah, hmm, never thought about that from that angle," unless you think video games are beyond reproach, which it becomes "HOW DARE SHE SAY THAT!!!!"

-------------

4. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 10, 2018, 11:52 Primalchrome

The firing of Jessica Price doesn't really surprise me....because she had made MANY tasteless and inflammatory posts in the past. That said....anyone posting insane crap (left or right) on social media under their real name probably should be fired. Doesn't matter if you're a dev, attorney, tech, or DMV receptionist. Free speech doesn't mean there aren't repercussions to being a closeminded dirtbag.

That said, somehow you have looneys like Ted Nugent and Anita Sarkeesian and they manage to make a living...

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo