Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 12, 2018, 09:16 Steele Johnson

Cry me a river. How about you stop pretending that you don't know the negative side effects of social media? Don't let her fool you, the regret is there lol  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 11, 2018, 19:16 Kelpie

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 19:48:
So, after reading this, I come away with the following impression:

Jessica Price is mentally ill.

Aye, she's showing signs consistent with Borderline Personality Disorder. Particularly her disproportionate response to perceived criticism.

I honestly think she needs help and I hope she gets the help she needs.

34. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 11, 2018, 18:36 Mordecai Walfish

I read the Twitter thread, and the fan did have some very valid comments about the "living story" aspects of the game design being detrimental to overall narrative flexibility and depth, a factor that had massively turned me off to these kinds of "amusement park" MMORPG experiences. Rpg is pretty much my favorite genre, and I've played all the wonky systems and paradigms they've been designed around, but the living world/amusement park design is by far my least favorite of the bigger trends.

33. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 11, 2018, 18:25 Squirmer

Look at this short clip from the day before The Incident, where the streamer praises Jessica Price for her work, and (guess what) her interaction with the community in Reddit AMAs: https://clips.twitch.tv/CrypticMistyStingrayDxCat  

32. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 11, 2018, 13:28 Beamer

necrosis wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 12:52:
Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 18:15:
The dude was definitely super polite and innocuous. That doesn't mean he wasn't a jerk. You can totally be a super polite and innocuous jerk. In fact, it's the best way to be a jerk, because then the person who flips out at you, by your design, looks like the jerk!
You sound no better than the woman fired.

You have the 'I am better than you so never question anything I do in my field ever' attitude.

I wasn't saying he was a jerk, but I'm saying that being nice doesn't mean you aren't being a jerk. Certainly you know that. Certainly you've seen people be extra nice when they're intentionally doing something very jerky.

And no, amateurs can question, but when they challenge, they come across as jerks. If I were to walk into the Giants locker room and start telling Eli Manning how to do his job because I watched a game on TV, I'd be a jerk. No matter how nicely I was doing it, I'd be a jerk. If a dozen of us walked in, one every 5 minutes, I wouldn't be surprised if he snapped at the last one. Doesn't excuse what she did, but c'mon, you can empathize with people in similar situations to hers (not hers directly, because, as I mentioned, by using Twitter she was asking for a dialogue.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 11, 2018, 12:54 necrosis

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 19:45:
OpticNerve wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 19:08:
Overall, Price just seems like a person who can't handle criticism and has a toxic and hostile personality (based off of her past twitter posts and being glad for TotalBiscuit's death). Just because you've worked in some industry doesn't mean that you can't be criticized for it.

As an artsy person, I know well enough that any job that requires creativity and is out there for the public to see/read/hear is going to be scrutinized. If she wants to have a long career in this industry (regardless of gender), she's going to need to be able to grow thick skin to handle feedback in the future and understand that even in her social media, she is representing the company that she works for. Unfortunately, based off of her quotes in this interview, it doesn't seem like she's learnt anything at all. And this isn't because she's female. It's all about her toxic personality. Stuff like this has already happened to male developers (Phil Fish comes to mind).

It's a shame because I do agree with her original post about writing characters for MMOs and it initially seemed like a great jumping-off point to start some interesting discussions about the subject, but her reply to Denoir was just out of place and unwarranted. I actually feel bad for ArenaNet since they're in a lose-lose situation. Some people will think that they over-reacted in the firings but if they let those two staff members stick around, the already-annoyed-and-fickle Guild Wars 2 community would just be more pissed off when anything wrong pops up (which it often does sadly) and that the company doesn't listen to them or give a shit if their employees treat their customers in a hostile manner.

As a former manager, I'll say that my most problematic employees were also my best ones. It cuts both ways, and it's the responsibility of management to reign them in. This doesn't excuse what Price did, but I feel ArenaNet failed here.
Read her other posts. She is fat that needed to be cut long ago.

We are not talking about someone who has problems behind the scenes. This is someone who is a problem in the public eye.

30. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 11, 2018, 12:52 necrosis

The dude was definitely super polite and innocuous. That doesn't mean he wasn't a jerk. You can totally be a super polite and innocuous jerk. In fact, it's the best way to be a jerk, because then the person who flips out at you, by your design, looks like the jerk!
You sound no better than the woman fired.

You have the 'I am better than you so never question anything I do in my field ever' attitude.

29. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 11, 2018, 12:46 Parallax Abstraction

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 19:55:
Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 10:54:
“The whole thing was highly unprofessional,” she continued. “There was zero reason for him to be there. He wanted to vent his anger, and he had the power to command a woman to stand there while he took his feelings out on her, so he did. Then he walked out, [the manager] got my stuff from my desk and the HR person asked for my key card.”

Wow, this moron just plays the gender victimhood card at every opportunity. Unreal.

Yes, you pissed off customers on social media for no reason and he "mansplained" that you were fired for being a fucking idiot. Let us rise up against male oppression!

Who is the moron in this thread, not her! The number of asshats that play these games is phenominal and she unfortunately ran into a major asshat. She was completely right, management folded. Looks like the asshats are in charge at Arenanet. Fat change I will ever buy one of their games again!

I can't tell if you're trolling or are just that monumentally ignorant of the actual facts of this situation.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Mixer

28. Re: Defiance 2050 Launches Jul 10, 2018, 22:14 KezClone

And again, I totally get that an amateur acting like a professional as they contradict an actual professional about things they really have no experience about is frustrating. Were I to walk into a kitchen and start debating a Michelin chef on the right way to make a roux because I once watched a show on TV, I'd be a jerk, even if I were being polite.

I also get that lots of people, particularly in gaming, have to deal with that shit constantly.

But this was not the right time to break, or to defend a break. The dude seemed actually, good-faith polite. He seemed interested in what was being said and had his opinion. He didn't say she was wrong, or really imply it. Seemed to want a conversation, and by posting what she posted on Twitter (instead of, as others suggested, Medium), she seemed to open the line for a conversation.

If the guy had been a clear jerk, sure, but here? Again, totally get straws breaking the backs of dromedaries and all, but the reaction was way over the top, particularly to a fan, particularly on an account linked to your employer.

I'm sure we can look through her tweets and find dozens of people we'd almost all be ok with her blowing up at. This guy wasn't one of them.

Good post. My feelings on this are much the same.

She is right that there is a shit-ton of misogynistic behavior that female gamers/developers have to deal with but this really was the wrong time to snap. She misread the poster's intent.

27. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 20:16 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 19:48:

Jessica Price is mentally ill. I'm not saying that to be misogynistic or make light of the situation. She genuinely comes off as being mentally ill to the point where she can't differentiate between reality and her quixotic stances and interpretations on gender, public interaction, and her now former employer. Moreover, she makes these Trump like claims of "everyone says I'm right" without providing a shred of verifiable evidence to support those claims.

On the other hand, Mike O'Brien's reply is on point. He addresses the issue, why ArenaNet undertook the actions it did, and deals solely with the facts of the matter. He isn't off wandering in the weeds casting personal aspersions on either of the recently terminated employees. That is the correct method of handling this situation.

Say stupid things, win stupid prizes.
Karma's a bitch and it finally caught up with Ms. Price.

I will only buy Arenanet games in the future!

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

26. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 19:55 Ozmodan

Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 10:54:
“The whole thing was highly unprofessional,” she continued. “There was zero reason for him to be there. He wanted to vent his anger, and he had the power to command a woman to stand there while he took his feelings out on her, so he did. Then he walked out, [the manager] got my stuff from my desk and the HR person asked for my key card.”

Wow, this moron just plays the gender victimhood card at every opportunity. Unreal.

Yes, you pissed off customers on social media for no reason and he "mansplained" that you were fired for being a fucking idiot. Let us rise up against male oppression!

Who is the moron in this thread, not her! The number of asshats that play these games is phenominal and she unfortunately ran into a major asshat. She was completely right, management folded. Looks like the asshats are in charge at Arenanet. Fat change I will ever buy one of their games again!

25. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 19:48 Burrito of Peace

Jessica Price is mentally ill. I'm not saying that to be misogynistic or make light of the situation. She genuinely comes off as being mentally ill to the point where she can't differentiate between reality and her quixotic stances and interpretations on gender, public interaction, and her now former employer. Moreover, she makes these Trump like claims of "everyone says I'm right" without providing a shred of verifiable evidence to support those claims.

On the other hand, Mike O'Brien's reply is on point. He addresses the issue, why ArenaNet undertook the actions it did, and deals solely with the facts of the matter. He isn't off wandering in the weeds casting personal aspersions on either of the recently terminated employees. That is the correct method of handling this situation.

24. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 19:45 jdreyer

OpticNerve wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 19:08:
Overall, Price just seems like a person who can't handle criticism and has a toxic and hostile personality (based off of her past twitter posts and being glad for TotalBiscuit's death). Just because you've worked in some industry doesn't mean that you can't be criticized for it.

As an artsy person, I know well enough that any job that requires creativity and is out there for the public to see/read/hear is going to be scrutinized. If she wants to have a long career in this industry (regardless of gender), she's going to need to be able to grow thick skin to handle feedback in the future and understand that even in her social media, she is representing the company that she works for. Unfortunately, based off of her quotes in this interview, it doesn't seem like she's learnt anything at all. And this isn't because she's female. It's all about her toxic personality. Stuff like this has already happened to male developers (Phil Fish comes to mind).

It's a shame because I do agree with her original post about writing characters for MMOs and it initially seemed like a great jumping-off point to start some interesting discussions about the subject, but her reply to Denoir was just out of place and unwarranted. I actually feel bad for ArenaNet since they're in a lose-lose situation. Some people will think that they over-reacted in the firings but if they let those two staff members stick around, the already-annoyed-and-fickle Guild Wars 2 community would just be more pissed off when anything wrong pops up (which it often does sadly) and that the company doesn't listen to them or give a shit if their employees treat their customers in a hostile manner.

As a former manager, I'll say that my most problematic employees were also my best ones. It cuts both ways, and it's the responsibility of management to reign them in. This doesn't excuse what Price did, but I feel ArenaNet failed here.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

23. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 19:43 jdreyer

And again, I totally get that an amateur acting like a professional as they contradict an actual professional about things they really have no experience about is frustrating. Were I to walk into a kitchen and start debating a Michelin chef on the right way to make a roux because I once watched a show on TV, I'd be a jerk, even if I were being polite.

I think a better analogy is a connoisseur of roux who, after consuming quite a bit of the stuff, had some ideas that he wanted to discuss recipes with the chef, after said chef had invited said discussion.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

22. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 19:08 OpticNerve

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

21. Re: Morning Patches Jul 10, 2018, 18:44 TheBigVlad

Flatline wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 15:29:
Can we come away with this with the real lesson being reinforced that Twitter is a cesspool and you should just stay out of it?

If you're writing a 24 tweet threat, fucking post a blog or write an article or something.

God I hate Twitter.

I'm perplexed that people use Twitter for anything other than short announcements. Some of my college professors used it for class announcements and that kind of made sense, though I was still a bit annoyed at being forced to create a Twitter account back then. It's not a medium where you go for a meaningful discussion about anything, and it continues to boggle my mind that people try to use it in that way.

20. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 18:15 Beamer

I also get that lots of people, particularly in gaming, have to deal with that shit constantly.

But this was not the right time to break, or to defend a break. The dude seemed actually, good-faith polite. He seemed interested in what was being said and had his opinion. He didn't say she was wrong, or really imply it. Seemed to want a conversation, and by posting what she posted on Twitter (instead of, as others suggested, Medium), she seemed to open the line for a conversation.

If the guy had been a clear jerk, sure, but here? Again, totally get straws breaking the backs of dromedaries and all, but the reaction was way over the top, particularly to a fan, particularly on an account linked to your employer.

I'm sure we can look through her tweets and find dozens of people we'd almost all be ok with her blowing up at. This guy wasn't one of them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 18:10 MattyC

Gender issues are a problem in society as a whole. These issues are magnified online and magnified further still with social media. That doesn't mean certain people should be forced to avoid social media or be forced to take abuse as a defenseless target.

That said, publicly carrying on like the jerks and trolls of the internet is not exactly the path to job security. Some professions and certain workplaces get more freedom there than others, but none are immune - not even those who are 'their own boss'. Gender is not a factor there. When Tseric blew up at the WoW community (and he had a much less vitriol filled online history) he was gone just as quickly (resigned or fired depends on who's story you like better - probably both if I had to bet). It isn't professional to lash out at your fans, your bosses, or your critics.

I obviously don't know all the inside details though and it isn't like she was hurting anyone, so best of luck to her in the future (sounds like she already has some opportunities lined up).

18. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 17:58 Muscular Beaver

necrosis wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 15:17:
Price said she has no regrets about her response to Deroir, although she said she might have moderated her language a little. “Given that the term ‘asshat’ was apparently a sticking point for ArenaNet, I’d maybe use ‘condescending jerk’ instead,” she said. “Men pop up in my mentions to tell me how to do my job all the time. They pop up to explain my female colleagues’ own jokes to them.

So now every single male, no matter how they word things, is a "condescending jerk"? They are completely blown off when they offer ANY criticism, input, or opinion.

Congratulations on digging your hole deeper in my mind. Glad you were fired.

Deroir was super polite. Even after she jumped into his face, trying to scratch his eyes out, he just tried to back out, but she kept going. He just stated is opinion extremely kindly and she popped like a balloon over everyone not telling her "yes ma'am, you are totally right, he is a dirty misogynist trying to mansplain things to your superior intellect". Everyone can read it for themselves.

This woman is unbelievable. She just wont stop and STILL thinks everyone else except her is wrong and blames men and claims victimhood. I really hope this ends even worse for her than it already is, because if this becomes tolerated or even mainstream, we are fucked as a society.

The real shocking thing is, though, that a huge chunk of the media and quite a few other normal people are actually supporting her to the extend that they are BLATANTLY lying to make her look better.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

17. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 17:35 Flatline

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 17:31:
Men face more harassment online than women; men face different kinds of harassment online than women. This is consistent across many different surveys like the one linked above. Men are more likely to be verbally harassed or get death threats. Women are more likely to get stalked or sexually harassed.

I have seen people react to this information by claiming that the kinds of harassment women face is somehow "worse" that what males get, but that is highly opinion-based (is a rape threat worse than a death threat? Less so?). Either way, the idea that the internet is some gender-based minefield exists more in the minds of the folks who want to see it that way. In reality, the internet is mostly just toxic towards everyone...

I will point out that death threats from Internet Tough Guys, while annoying, probably don't interrupt your life as much as stalking or persistent, organized, consistent sexual harassment.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo