Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Competitor Coming from China

South China Morning Post reports that Chinese gaming giant Tencent is planning on bringing their WeGame platform to the global audience in an attempt to compete more directly with Valve's Steam service and to create a better pipeline to distribute Chinese games in the west (thanks GamesIndustry.biz). This only seems appropriate in light of Valve's recent announcement of plans to expand Steam's reach into China. Here are some details:

Tencent Holdings, which runs the world's largest video games business by revenue, is set to launch the international version of its WeGame store and social platform in Hong Kong, with the aim to build up the overseas market for China-developed personal computer games.

WeGame, an upgrade from the previous Tencent Games Platform, went online in September last year as a Chinese-language site where users can watch live-streaming video games, access support tools for communication between players and developers, and download PC and stand-alone games.

“The Hong Kong version of WeGame is now under development,” said a spokesman for Shenzhen-based Tencent in a statement on Friday. “This version will be available for overseas users, and we will use this platform to bring more Chinese games to the global market.”

WeGame, China’s biggest PC games distribution platform, currently offers about 220 titles available for download, including games developed overseas. Don't Starve Together, a multiplayer survival game developed by Canadian independent studio Klei Entertainment, had sold more than two million copies on WeGame by April, according to Tencent.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 10, 2018, 14:17 Orogogus

El Pit wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 12:04:
In EVERY country the media is driven by politics/politicians and will try to make you believe the government's version of a story.

It's not hard to go on CNN or The New York Times and find an article contradicting something the Trump administration said. Under the Obama administration Fox News and the right wing press had free rein. The US and other Western countries don't have government employees sanitizing news reports or imposing Internet censorship at a national level.

The fact that every country has done bad things doesn't mean they're equally bad.

As far as this games platform goes, though, I don't expect them to steal your credit card information. There's such a thing as ecommerce in China. Customer service, not so much -- I could easily imagine them making Valve look good. And I'd be surprised if it didn't have the same list of banned watchwords that the government imposes on message boards in China; you probably won't be able to say anything bad about China.

And if their goal is to bring more Chinese games to the global market, I don't know about that. From what I saw a few years ago, their homegrown games tend toward grindy fantasy MMORPGs similar to what comes out of South Korea, and otherwise they like to play the same non-Chinese games everyone else does.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 10, 2018, 12:04 El Pit

Russia is evil! No, no, China is evil! No, no, no, the US is the real devil! No, no, Syria is evil! No, wait, Iran is... Guys, it's a game. A game of power (or a game of thrones, if you prefer). In EVERY country the media is driven by politics/politicians and will try to make you believe the government's version of a story. This is why I am watching Al Jazeera, CNN, Russia Today - I think the truth (or something closer to the truth) is in the middle. Then again - OF COURSE you should support your own country. Nothing bad about that. Just don't be fooled and don't believe everything you read, hear, and watch on your national news - it is NOT "free media". Never. Nowhere.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

38. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 10, 2018, 11:57 RedEye9

Slashman wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 11:28:
Jivaro wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 00:35:
I am finding it more and more absurd each and every day to say much about China or Russia's human rights violations, or whatever other violations they might have, given what we as Americans are letting happen in our country right now. It feels hypocritical. Even the elections being fucked with feels more like karma given the propaganda and assassinations the USA has used to install their own puppets in various countries around the world in the name of "democracy". At some point we are going to have to admit we are at least as bad if not worse as China or Russia. We might not all want to be, at least I hope not....but between the prison systems for profit, the immigration mess, unarmed citizens being shot in the streets or in their cars....at the very best we are letting shitty things happen on a regular basis and seemingly with state or federal approval or intentional ignorance.

China and Russia are our biggest problems and the least of our problems all at the same time.

/soapbox

With regards to another client... *shrug* ... I will wait and let other people take the dive and report back. I don't want to get too much of a predetermined opinion on it when I have only seen this post.

When was the last time America did forced organ donations? On prisoners who committed the horrible act of having a religious/spiritual practice that the government deemed a serious threat.

When did America pass a law allowing one free wife battering to every husband as long as the wife wasn't hospitalized?

When did America start disappearing American citizens, not only people who the government found undesirable, but their entire families and subject them to torture and denial of health care while incarcerated?

There is nothing saintly about the USA or really any first world country, but China and Russia are doing seriously barbaric things that are on a whole other scale.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-44557528 Watch the Last Week Tonight episode, it's eye opening.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

37. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 10, 2018, 11:28 Slashman

I am finding it more and more absurd each and every day to say much about China or Russia's human rights violations, or whatever other violations they might have, given what we as Americans are letting happen in our country right now. It feels hypocritical. Even the elections being fucked with feels more like karma given the propaganda and assassinations the USA has used to install their own puppets in various countries around the world in the name of "democracy". At some point we are going to have to admit we are at least as bad if not worse as China or Russia. We might not all want to be, at least I hope not....but between the prison systems for profit, the immigration mess, unarmed citizens being shot in the streets or in their cars....at the very best we are letting shitty things happen on a regular basis and seemingly with state or federal approval or intentional ignorance.

China and Russia are our biggest problems and the least of our problems all at the same time.

/soapbox

With regards to another client... *shrug* ... I will wait and let other people take the dive and report back. I don't want to get too much of a predetermined opinion on it when I have only seen this post.

When was the last time America did forced organ donations? On prisoners who committed the horrible act of having a religious/spiritual practice that the government deemed a serious threat.

When did America pass a law allowing one free wife battering to every husband as long as the wife wasn't hospitalized?

When did America start disappearing American citizens, not only people who the government found undesirable, but their entire families and subject them to torture and denial of health care while incarcerated?

There is nothing saintly about the USA or really any first world country, but China and Russia are doing seriously barbaric things that are on a whole other scale.

36. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 10, 2018, 08:04 VaranDragon

Cutter wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 17:15:

If he doesn't understand why China is one of the biggest problems in the world today for a literal multitude of reasons don't waste your time trying to explain why normal, intelligent, educated people wouldn't want to use anything from China where possible,

Hahaha, funniest comment ever dude. Seriously, go ahead and blame China for having over half of the world's production and industry. Yeah it's all China's fault, damn those Red Commies! Damn em to Hell for making all our shit!

35. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 10, 2018, 05:30 DangerDog

/soapbox

...cats and dogs sleeping together, mass hysteria!!!

let me know when people are taken away goon squad style for disrespecting Trump, k

Woman disappears after throwing ink on photo of Chinese President

34. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 10, 2018, 04:28 El Pit

Avus wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 01:16:
El Pit wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 11:56:
Sure, why not? If they can offer games cheaper than Steam, I will definitely become a customer.

Are you stupid enough to give your credit card info to some Chinese company just to save a few buck?

Yes, this tiny Chinese backstreet laundry Tencent... What was your point again?

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

33. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 10, 2018, 01:16 Avus

El Pit wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 11:56:
Sure, why not? If they can offer games cheaper than Steam, I will definitely become a customer.

Are you stupid enough to give your credit card info to some Chinese company just to save a few buck?

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

32. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 10, 2018, 01:14 Steele Johnson

WeHack your credit card  

31. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 10, 2018, 00:35 Jivaro

/soapbox

30. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 17:46 Slashman

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 13:43:
It's always us vs them isnt it? This tribe vs that tribe. This brown ape vs that orange ape? Its sad, and pathetic. And its why humanity will never reach the stars. We will be too busy fucking each other over the last drop of oil, water and soil.

I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment, but your battle is ill chosen in this case. The number of documented cases of China's dubious and often outright malicious, state-sponsored hacking is rather large.

At one point they were selling a line of desktops with malware embedded in the BIOS. That's not trivial. You couldn't just wipe the system and reload the OS to get rid of that.

I don't hate Chinese people and I'm neither Chinese, American or Russian. However, that country is still committing many human rights violations today. It has a leader who ensconced himself for LIFE in that position.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but it is not tribal mentality that drives my skepticism of digital offerings from them. Just as I'm wary of ones from Russia.

29. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 17:15 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 17:09:
It's always us vs them isnt it? This tribe vs that tribe. This brown ape vs that orange ape? Its sad, and pathetic. And its why humanity will never reach the stars. We will be too busy fucking each other over the last drop of oil, water and soil.
You do know that both the Chinese government and private industry are the most egregious and aggressive cyber espionage players in the world. They are also the biggest abusers of IP rights. Perhaps this is a small step to set things right, but I'm not going to blame Bluesers for being suspicious. If this news is coming out of France, the Philippines, or Mozambique, we're having an entirely different conversation.

If he doesn't understand why China is one of the biggest problems in the world today for a literal multitude of reasons don't waste your time trying to explain why normal, intelligent, educated people wouldn't want to use anything from China where possible,

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

28. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 17:09 jdreyer

You do know that both the Chinese government and private industry are the most egregious and aggressive cyber espionage players in the world. They are also the biggest abusers of IP rights. Perhaps this is a small step to set things right, but I'm not going to blame Bluesers for being suspicious. If this news is coming out of France, the Philippines, or Mozambique, we're having an entirely different conversation.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

27. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 16:25 CJ_Parker

I agree. If you look up a synonym for greed in a thesaurus it should reference Valve and vice versa.  

26. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 16:21 Wesp5

Cutter wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 16:10:
Because Gabe doesn't need to and money is not Valve's motivation. They already have more money than stink and they're not greedy.

What? Did you forget about their payed-mods-initiative's and the failed Steam machines? Also they haven't made a decent game in years that wasn't based on someone elses ideas, because everything Valve cares about right now is money and they basically get it with little effort due to the monopoly of Steam. The more competition the better and maybe Valve will need to make real games some day again ;)!

25. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 16:16 HoSpanky

Veinman wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 16:10:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 15:36:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 15:35:
Harf Rife 3 confirmed

That's kind of racist.

Nope, it's completely racist.

Yep, and I laughed.

24. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 16:10 Cutter

aka_STEVE wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 13:59:
At first I also was like, " NO WAY I'm gonna put some Chinese company's spyware on my system..!! "

then I thought about it, Are we really so blind to think that Gabe hasn't sold our stuff out to any/& everyone 10x over by now ?

At this point, the Chinese companies are being more watchdogged over what they are doing than Steam is....

Because Gabe doesn't need to and money is not Valve's motivation. They already have more money than stink and they're not greedy. That's why the company barely runs like a company. Tencent is the diametric opposite of that. I'd love to see real competition for Steam but I wouldn't touch this service with a 10 foot pole.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

23. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 16:10 Veinman

Kxmode wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 15:36:
Harf Rife 3 confirmed

That's kind of racist.

Nope, it's completely racist.

22. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 16:09 Sepharo

Talutha wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 13:48:
Do yall not realize that this client adds nothing to their "spyware"? If they want information on you they already have it. These guys own 40% of Epic(Fortnite), 25% of Activision(Blizzard and CoD), they completely own Riot(LoL), they completely own Grinding Gear Games(Path of Exile), and they recently bought another 5% of Bluehole(PUBG) bringing their ownership up to 10%. This is the largest gaming company in the world, as well as the fifth largest company in the world, larger than Facebook. They already have your information. Not trying to say if WeGame is worth installing or not but if your goal is to give them as little information as possible you're already too late. They've got you.

Most of the people on this board don't actually read anything but headlines and they post from the gut not any place of reason.

21. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 15:36 Kxmode

Harf Rife 3 confirmed

That's kind of racist.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo