Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm happy to see that the new Ant-Man movie is getting good reviews. In spite of the obvious overload, I remain a fan of the Marvel movies. I'm still on the fence about heading out to the theater for this, because MrsBlue is refusing to attend with me, so I'd have to go solo. She's been a good sport about seeing several of these with me in the past few years, but she was too upset at the ending of Infinity Wars to soldier on any further, and no amount of reassurance that some elements of what seems so tragic will probably be undone along the way have mitigated that. So yeah, true to being a supervillain, Thanos really messed things up for me.

R.I.P.: Tab Hunter Dead: ‘Damn Yankees’ Star and Gay Icon Dies at 86.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Temple of the Golden Watermelon.
Hue Cat.
Story: 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' marks Marvel's 20th straight No. 1 opening.
Science: Astronaut Chris Hadfield: We could have gone to Mars decades ago. Thanks RedEye9.
Agent Big Bird, the US Cold War spy satellite. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: Ebay in 1988.
The New Highway to the Arctic Ocean.
Grrrr.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: We could have gone to Mars decades ago Jul 10, 2018, 11:50 RedEye9

Creston wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 23:24:
We probably WOULD have colonies on the moon and had people land on Mars already.
And we'd all have flying cars. Cancer would be cured by a vaccine. There would be peace in the middle east. Global warming would be solved.

if only we'd done "blank"

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2018, 08:27 Mr. Tact

ExecPC BBS -- spent a lot of time wandering around there in the early 90s.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: 2018 Steam Top Sellers Jul 10, 2018, 00:07 Kxmode

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 23:25:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 19:17:
That video is maddening. That's not how eBay - or the Internet for the most part - looked in 1998. It looks more like Prodigy from 1992.

It says 88. The Internet was basically just text at that point. I was still using BBSs up through about 94-95 at least. Online shopping was basically the same as ordering from a catalog.

Wow. My mistake on that. That was some full-blown something on my part. LOL!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jul 9, 2018, 23:31 Creston

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 23:25:
It says 88. The Internet was basically just text at that point.

Yeah, the world wide web didn't get invented by Berners-Lee until 89, and wasn't published outside of CERN until late '91.

19. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jul 9, 2018, 23:25 Wowbagger_TIP

Kxmode wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 19:17:
That video is maddening. That's not how eBay - or the Internet for the most part - looked in 1998. It looks more like Prodigy from 1992.

It says 88. The Internet was basically just text at that point. I was still using BBSs up through about 94-95 at least. Online shopping was basically the same as ordering from a catalog.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

18. We could have gone to Mars decades ago Jul 9, 2018, 23:24 Creston

"And died. I mean, we had no way to stop all the cosmic radiation from frying us, nor did we have a way to provision the 9 month flight with enough food and water, and we didn't really have a way to build a sustainable base there. But we totally could have gone."

Yeah, I'm not sure that "could have gone" means the same to you as it does to the rest of us, Mr. Hadfield...

And if by decades ago, you mean late 60s, early 70s, then yes. But if we're talking later, NASA pretty quickly lost that ability once the funding spigot got turned off. (Sadly. Imagine if NASA had kept 5% of GDP as their budget. We probably WOULD have colonies on the moon and had people land on Mars already.)

17. Ebay in 1988. Jul 9, 2018, 19:17 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 19:16 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 15:01:
Also, stop killing off all your villains. They need time to breath. Who'd remember Darth Vader if he died in the first film?

People remember Tarkin. And I think most people only know Khan from the movie.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 18:48 Kxmode

Neutronbeam wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 17:03:
Trust me Stephen, your wife REALLY doesn't want to see this film. Saw it yesterday with my son.

Out, out, brief film!
The movie's but a walking shadow, a poor plot
That struts and frets its hours upon the cinema
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 17:03 Neutronbeam

Trust me Stephen, your wife REALLY doesn't want to see this film. Saw it yesterday with my son.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 16:21 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 14:01:
sigh, the joys of being a curmudgeon
Watch it buddy, that's my job.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2018, 17:04.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 16:14 jacobvandy

That's funny, my wife liked Infinity War *because* of the ending. She's the type who gets annoyed by typical Hollywood films, and so enjoys it more when everybody dies, like what happened in Rogue One. She was less enthused when I told her there's a part two coming.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 16:13 Cutter

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 13:32:
I'm utterly burned out on comic book movies. I was even slightly bored by Infinity War. In fact. there's nothing out or coming, with the exception of Sicario 2, that even interests me.

Heard that. Loved Sicario, but I dunno about the second one. Only thing that's coming out this fall I may actually go to the theater for is the new Freddie Mercury movie. That looks amazing.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 15:48 jdreyer

Black Panther was just okay. Infinity War was good, and it was fun to see them try and tie together the previous 18 movies. The best recent Marvel movie was Ragnarok, which is a joy. Note to Marvel: give movies to directors that are going to take things in a different direction like Waititi, Lord & Miller, Edgar Wright. That's how to keep it fresh.

Also, I understand that they're going to release a Infinity War version with 30 extra minutes, mostly focusing on Thanos. That's good, because he needed more backstory.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 15:45 RedEye9

https://www.thedailybeast.com/michelle-wolf-unloads-on-anti-abortion-activists-god-bless-abortions
Read the text, stick around for the video.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 15:01 Beamer

I finally caught Black Panther on a plane.

When did Marvel characters start becoming Superman? Or, rather, why? I hated when, in Iron Man 2, his entire suit fit into a briefcase. That was dumb. In movies since, it's fit into smaller and smaller things. Wasn't it in a bracelet? How are all those servos in a bracelet? In Black Panther, it's in a tiny necklace that couldn't even hold all its mass, and yet it can absorb rail gun shots.

Also, stop killing off all your villains. They need time to breath. Who'd remember Darth Vader if he died in the first film?

Otherwise, they still do the characters best. The fight scenes can be meh, and while this was stupidly rubbery it was also on a plane so I could hardly see the fights, but the character beats are better than nearly any other movie.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 14:01 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 13:32:
I'm utterly burned out on comic book movies. I was even slightly bored by Infinity War. In fact. there's nothing out or coming, with the exception of Sicario 2, that even interests me.
ditto
Last movie I saw was SOLO, I skipped Infinity War figuring that a home viewing would suffice. Nothing on the horizon grabs my fancy.
sigh, the joys of being a curmudgeon

Nullity's Law

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 13:32 Burrito of Peace

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 12:32 jdreyer

Astronaut Chris Hadfield: We could have gone to Mars decades ago.

Sure, but could we have come back? I mean, we did go to Mars decades ago: Mariner missions, Viking missions, etc.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 12:16 RedEye9

2:20, check out those prices in the northwest territory. Shocked

Nullity's Law

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo