Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm not a serious soccer fan, but I enjoy sports, so I was drawn in by the World Cup and watched some of yesterday's games. It's not a complicated sport to follow as a casual observer, and I mostly enjoyed the experience. But as much as it makes me feel like an old man to admit this, I have to say the background noise quickly started to grate on me severely. Thankfully there are no more vuvuzelas involved, but clearly fans in the stands attempt to make as much noise as possible every minute. This is to the point where the ambient noise level sounds like the scoring celebrations in other sports, with the goals becoming positively deafening. The good news is that turning the sound way down solved this problem well enough, and it turns out not listening to the announcers doesn't really detract from the experience at all.

Loud Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: The World Easyest Game.
Science: Staying safe in the sun – a dermatologist helps separate facts from hype. Thanks RedEye9.
NASA’s OSIRIS-REx Spacecraft Refines Its Path to Asteroid Bennu. Thanks RedEye9.
North America's First Dogs Disappeared, And May Have Left Behind a Terrifying Legacy.
Media: UnderWatched Ep 9 "This is my Jam!!"
Cicada 3301: An Internet Mystery.
This is the coolest piece of furniture that I've ever seen.
Follow-up: Live: Thai cave rescue underway.
Elon Musk wants SpaceX to build a kid-sized submarine for Thailand rescue.
The Funnies: Make It Quick - FoxTrot.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 19:45 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 15:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 12:56:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 12:35:
Review the footage after the game, and give out suspensions for any fake injuries. That should reduce it.
Review the footage during the game. You get caught faking it and the other team gets the free kick. Do it more than once per game and your team forfeits.

I'm with burritos "it crowd" when it comes to sports.

I was thinking that might be difficult in a game with no timeouts or commercial breaks. It might be confusing if you give a free kick 5m after the fact.
what i meant to say was stop the game and review it. none of what i said will ever happen but it would stop the flop

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 15:38 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 12:56:
Review the footage after the game, and give out suspensions for any fake injuries. That should reduce it.
Review the footage during the game. You get caught faking it and the other team gets the free kick. Do it more than once per game and your team forfeits.

I was thinking that might be difficult in a game with no timeouts or commercial breaks. It might be confusing if you give a free kick 5m after the fact.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 12:56 RedEye9

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 12:35 jdreyer

17. Re: Cicada 3301: An Internet Mystery. Jul 9, 2018, 10:39 Burrito of Peace

This pretty much sums up on my feelings on the World Cup.  

16. Re: Cicada 3301: An Internet Mystery. Jul 9, 2018, 07:52 Mr. Tact

Semi-interesting. Never heard a word about it before now. Might have to ask around and see if anyone I know actually heard anything.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 06:29 eRe4s3r

1badmf wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 05:29:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 8, 2018, 23:07:
Yeah, the injury play acting is annoying. But it isn't exactly limited to soccer, ever watch a NBA game? I'm only a casual fan, but it really didn't seem terribly bad in this World Cup.

they flop in the NBA, they don't fake injuries to waste time. and the NBA is trying (badly) to fine players for flopping. it'll be a brisk day in hell before fifa does anything substantial to curb the diving and fake injuries in soccer. public perception will probably do more to reduce it than fifa will. gareth bale used to be a notorious diver, but after he was caught a few times he cut back on it. neymar, i just don't think he gives a shit. anything for the free kick.

Well you got that right, it's a tactical element both for the freekick but also to give your guys some breathing room and throw the enemy out of their groove and you can (rightfully) hate it, but it won't stop teams from falling very easily anywhere near the enemy goal or in the later part of the game, running 100% twice for 45 minutes is extreme sport and it's only slowly creeping in that they get mandated drinking pauses, if they really fight 45 minutes full on you see cramps everywhere at the 80 minute mark. This all happens much less in the box itself now due to TV judging but outside of it anything goes.

Aside from where I paid attention (Brazil) due to a modified drinking game (1 cherry per flop) I thought the flopping was pretty much in control. Certainly Brazil was an outlier. Very different to Colombia were nearly every 1on1 was a foul.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2018, 05:29 1badmf

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 8, 2018, 23:07:
Yeah, the injury play acting is annoying. But it isn't exactly limited to soccer, ever watch a NBA game? I'm only a casual fan, but it really didn't seem terribly bad in this World Cup.

they flop in the NBA, they don't fake injuries to waste time. and the NBA is trying (badly) to fine players for flopping. it'll be a brisk day in hell before fifa does anything substantial to curb the diving and fake injuries in soccer. public perception will probably do more to reduce it than fifa will. gareth bale used to be a notorious diver, but after he was caught a few times he cut back on it. neymar, i just don't think he gives a shit. anything for the free kick.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 23:07 Mr. Tact

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 22:37 rawbelly

I can't get past the WWE style accidents. It's like watching school children play pretend.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 22:21 Rhialto

Interesting thing that Cicada! Isn't there a movie around that?

Linthat22 wrote on Jul 8, 2018, 16:24:
For anyone interested regarding Cicada, FBIanon confirmed that it's a government program.
But we cannot confirm FBIanon... what gives?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 21:20 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 8, 2018, 16:40:
The real reason dRumpf fired Pruitt.

Toles is a treasure.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 19:02 Kxmode

America is so backward in sports. We use whistling to celebrate our teams' achievements, while the world uses whistling to boo an opposing team. I first saw this during a World Cup Soccer match. I had to ask, "Why are they celebrating the other team's goal?"

On a side note, I completed the Summerset leveling guide for Zygor's Guides. Latest posted on https://github.com/Hydra9268/ZGESO . They dropped support for the game, and then later told all their subs we're not making a Summerset guide. So I did it! Took six weeks, but I think the guide will help a lot of ESO players.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 16:45 SlimRam

For fans of the death-defying kind, be sure to catch Travis Pastrana today at 7pm as he recreates 3 of Evel Knievel's greatest jumps, all on the same day! It'll be aired on the History channel as 'Evel Live' and yeah... he's probably history  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 16:40 RedEye9

The real reason dRumpf fired Pruitt.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 16:24 Linthat22

For anyone interested regarding Cicada, FBIanon confirmed that it's a government program.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 15:51 Mr. Tact

The vuvuzelas from before were pretty damn annoying, but using an air horn is simply uncalled for. That said, I watched about 2/3 of the group matches and all of the knockout round matches and it has been a great World Cup -- plenty of upsets and late goals.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 15:05 Cutter

My god those horns the most annoying thing ever. Staff at the bar I was working at at the time flat out told management either the volume stayed off or we'd walk. If a customer asked for volume we told them no because we're not a sports bar and they're surrounded by them if they'd like to go elsewhere. We also got a great deal of thanks during that period from people who wanted to watch a bit of the cup but not listen to those goddamned horns either.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2018, 14:18 VaranDragon

As a Croatian, watching yesterday's game was a pretty harrowing experience. They played pretty terribly in the first half but managed to change it up a gear in the second half. Going through on penalties for the second time in a row still felt like a damn coin flip and hopefully the coach and the team make some much needed tactical changes for the upcoming semi-finals game against England who looked very confident and solid against Sweden. We've beaten England before, arguably a more powerful side than this younger version, but if Croatia plays against England the way we did against Russia there is very little chance of Croatia making it through to the finals.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo