Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat

A post on the Guild Wars 2 Forums from ArenaNet's Mike O'Brien announces a pair of Guild Wars II writers are no longer with the company following a confrontation on social media which Mike says "failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players" (thanks VG247). This was all sparked by a reply on Twitter (the place where careers go to die) that ended up taking a discussion of game design down a rabbit hole of gender. This is outlined in further detail in this Reddit thread, and here's the official statement on the topic:

Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

View
83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

83. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 9, 2018, 10:45 Verno

What a moron, deserved to get canned. Customer makes completely innocent comment and she plays the victim gender card. Absolutely absurd. Even the white knights can only shuffle their feet, totally indefensible behavior on her behalf.

ArenaNet was well within its rights and did the right thing under the circumstances.

Playing: Pillars of Eternity 2, Far Cry 5, Persona 5
Watching: Safe, Game Night, Last Flag Flying
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

82. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 8, 2018, 16:41 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 8, 2018, 12:30:
Alamar wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 16:43:
nomoreshite wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 14:13:
she deserved the sack just for the Total biscuit tweet
https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1000045432007938048

defending people like that is just fucked up

On Topic... I'm really surprised so many of the adults in here (Not surprised about the 40-50+ years olds that never grew up), don't understand that when you're a public representative of a company, everything you say, especially publicly, and in a way DIRECTLY connected to said company, is taken as representing that company...

What other choice does ArenaNet have here? Lose customers that have lost respect for this representative, and therefore, the company? Even EA wouldn't have kept her around after spewing that much garbage ; )

I am even more surprised she apparently thinks her "private" twitter feed as a developer working at ArenaNet is private. I nearly fell off my chair (choking from laughter) when I read that. I think these people have no clue how social media even works. ANY company would have instant fired her and rightfully so, what you say ALWAYS falls back to the company you work for, very few exceptions to that. Anything you say public can be grounds for FIRING YOU. Especially if you raise a huge stink.

Facebook may be (SOMEWHAT) private, now. But Twitter is a public fucking BBS. There is NOTHING private. When you block someone EVERYONE ELSE CAN STILL READ IT. You are creating a filter bubble in a public forum. That'd be like ignoring everyone here and just posting randomly but adding to each post your workplace and real name.

TIL: Crazy people are fucking crazy.

Just to be clear, I think a good work place teaches you how to handle social media as FIRST THING in orientation and has specific dev accounts (owned by the company) with even clearer guidelines. No dev working at a game dev should be talking to the public (like at all) without feedback loop to the people responsible for this at the company.

Arena.Net thus also seems like a kinda fucked up company here.

Employees are always "on the job" if interacting with fans. If you have your Twitter tied to your career, you're on the job.

What the guy said to her was a possibly bit condescending (very lightly), and I get it was the straw that broke the camel's back, but man, it was very innocuous. And really not even that stupid. I don't have the career she does, but it seemed like he was interested in a discussion on theory and doing so respectfully, not like he was telling her how things/processes work.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

81. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 8, 2018, 12:30 eRe4s3r

Alamar wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 16:43:
nomoreshite wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 14:13:
she deserved the sack just for the Total biscuit tweet
https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1000045432007938048

defending people like that is just fucked up

On Topic... I'm really surprised so many of the adults in here (Not surprised about the 40-50+ years olds that never grew up), don't understand that when you're a public representative of a company, everything you say, especially publicly, and in a way DIRECTLY connected to said company, is taken as representing that company...

What other choice does ArenaNet have here? Lose customers that have lost respect for this representative, and therefore, the company? Even EA wouldn't have kept her around after spewing that much garbage ; )

I am even more surprised she apparently thinks her "private" twitter feed as a developer working at ArenaNet is private. I nearly fell off my chair (choking from laughter) when I read that. I think these people have no clue how social media even works. ANY company would have instant fired her and rightfully so, what you say ALWAYS falls back to the company you work for, very few exceptions to that. Anything you say public can be grounds for FIRING YOU. Especially if you raise a huge stink.

Facebook may be (SOMEWHAT) private, now. But Twitter is a public fucking BBS. There is NOTHING private. When you block someone EVERYONE ELSE CAN STILL READ IT. You are creating a filter bubble in a public forum. That'd be like ignoring everyone here and just posting randomly but adding to each post your workplace and real name.

TIL: Crazy people are fucking crazy.

Just to be clear, I think a good work place teaches you how to handle social media as FIRST THING in orientation and has specific dev accounts (owned by the company) with even clearer guidelines. No dev working at a game dev should be talking to the public (like at all) without feedback loop to the people responsible for this at the company.

Arena.Net thus also seems like a kinda fucked up company here.

80. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 7, 2018, 21:09 Beamer

Prez wrote on Jul 7, 2018, 07:46:
I used "white-knighting" twice, and I stand by it. Anyone who defends a despicable a person who so readily plays the victim while berating and insulting a customer who was only trying to engage in polite discussion (and who previously celebrated the death of industry legend John Bain) while chalking the backlash up to white privileged misogynists is doing exactly that. Or, if you prefer, I can just say that they are being complete and utter assholes. I figured "white knight" sounded better. You can make sweeping claims about the use of terminology all you like; sorry but you don't control the narrative, as much as you'd like to.

You used it twice. The people called out here use it weekly on this forum alone. You're lumping u yourself in with them. Don't.

People can agree with awful people with awful opinions and not be white knighting. They just have bad opinions.

-------------

79. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 7, 2018, 14:35 theyarecomingforyou

This whole thing is a bit of a mess. Her comments were clearly unacceptable, especially framing the issue around gender. Perhaps she has been the victim of hateful comments because of her gender but the post she was responding to had nothing to do with that. It's hard to know exactly what she has to deal with on a daily basis and maybe her anger was misdirected, though that doesn't excuse it.

But there was also a campaign on Reddit to hijack the situation and use that to target other devs to get them fired. There are a lot of misogynists who harass female developers and want to push their own agenda. Firing her and her coworker only empowers trolls and draws more attention to a matter that would have likely only blown over anyway.

At the end of the day if one's job is interacting with the community and one chooses to antagonise it then one only has oneself to blame.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280G

78. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 7, 2018, 13:03 Sepharo

Cutter the white knight... never thought I'd see it  

77. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 7, 2018, 09:22 Muscular Beaver

What Prez said.  

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

76. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 7, 2018, 07:46 Prez

I used "white-knighting" twice, and I stand by it. Anyone who defends a despicable a person who so readily plays the victim while berating and insulting a customer who was only trying to engage in polite discussion (and who previously celebrated the death of industry legend John Bain) while chalking the backlash up to white privileged misogynists is doing exactly that. Or, if you prefer, I can just say that they are being complete and utter assholes. I figured "white knight" sounded better. You can make sweeping claims about the use of terminology all you like; sorry but you don't control the narrative, as much as you'd like to.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

75. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 7, 2018, 07:29 Beamer

loomy wrote on Jul 7, 2018, 07:17:
pro tip for the two of you saying "white knighting" and "virtue signaling" like they mean something. clique vocabulary is only understood by people in the clique. regular people won't understand you

They're terms used exclusively by terrible people to that can't fathom empathizing with others. They are solely self-motivated, so feel everyone must be and if you agree with someone not like you, then you're only doing it for dishonest reasons to further yourself.

Without reading, I know which two it is.

-------------

74. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 7, 2018, 07:17 loomy

pro tip for the two of you saying "white knighting" and "virtue signaling" like they mean something. clique vocabulary is only understood by people in the clique. regular people won't understand you  

73. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 7, 2018, 02:17 Steele Johnson

A perfect example for why I've deleted my facebook account and don't use twitter. Social media is just way too negative to be useful. It kills careers, it destroys friendships (I've seen friends who have been friends for 20 years lose their friendship over one post that was totally unrelated to any of them), and creates dysfunction in families. It's a terrible invention. It’s just toxic.

You can argue all night about who was right or wrong in this case (the employee or ArenaNet), and it will never get resolved. The reason is all about the platform, not about if she was out of line, or speaking truth, or ArenaNet taking unnecessary actions, etc. It all happened because of social media, and the people who use the platform. Period. It's like voicing your opinion in an interactive digital tabloid.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2018, 18:39.

72. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 7, 2018, 00:12 CthulhuFan

If you say something shitty and broadcast it to thousands of people, you can't be surprised when they all get mad at you.
BINGO.

71. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 20:50 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:08:
Graham wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 14:42:
I've gotta give you props. I thought you were just a jerk online!

Wow, a snowflake who's a Nazi sympathizer as well. An Uber-Snowflake I suppose.

Godwin's Law invoked! It was bound the happen...

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

70. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 20:42 NKD

Squirmer wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:34:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 17:17:
Nobody banded together to get her fired.
Yes they did. Within hours this had become the biggest controversy in the game's history. Does a dev snapping at someone on Twitter really justify that? This blew up into something so big only because people turned this into a battle in their anti-feminism war.

If you say something shitty and broadcast it to thousands of people, you can't be surprised when they all get mad at you. It's not like everyone got together in some huge conspiracy. It was a lot of people, all pissed off for various reasons, acting on their own. You had the people who were after her because she was a loud annoying feminist, you had people who were already watching her because of shitty things she previously said, and you had the GW2 players who are already upset because of a long content drought.

Does she deserve to be dogpiled? No, but that's an inevitable side effect of shouting shit that will get people mad at the top of your lungs from the highest mountain. I don't go to the local motorcycle club hangout and start yelling about how Trump is a Nazi, because I don't want to be beaten to death by low IQ Trump supporters. Similarly people shouldn't attack their employers customers under their own name on the Internet in front of thousands of people.

How many companies do you know that would keep somebody on after they snapped at a customer? Now how many companies do you know that would keep somebody on after they snapped at a customer in front of thousands of other customers?

Doors and corners, kid. Doors and corners.

69. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 19:26 Agent.X7

Yes they did. Within hours this had become the biggest controversy in the game's history. Does a dev snapping at someone on Twitter really justify that? This blew up into something so big only because people turned this into a battle in their anti-feminism war.

Oh brother. Virtue signal harder, it makes you a better person!

In other thread news, blaming today's German people for what happened in WWII is ridiculous. It's like when black people blame me for slavery. Motherfucker, my ancestors didn't even live here when there was slavery. You weren't alive during slavery, just like most of the population today wasn't there for WWII. Get over that chip on your shoulder.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

68. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 19:11 RedEye9

Alamar wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 19:04:
Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:02:
loomy wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 12:55:
@Jagacademy

this anet employee has been a prominent and contentious personality for many years. she has been stalked and harassed and targeted by the craziest of the crazies. finally one of their brigades succeeded in getting her fired. it's nothing but a routine internet witch hunt by low-class losers.

@Cutter

you don't need to get the last word in every time. you told your joke, she said it was stupid, you both had your say. you don't need to come back with a tirade to defend yourself. she's allowed to not like your joke.
This comment has already been reported.

But if you weren't a precious little snowflake, you wouldn't get all whiny when someone calls you out on your constant stream of bull : )

It's quite normal for people to complain the loudest, and use the targeted language of, the things they hate about themselves...

Given all that, here's an Internet <hug>, because we all can tell that you need it ; )
It's trying to set a record for maximum number of post's *removed* for a thread. Must have woke up on the wrong side of the cot.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

67. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 19:04 Alamar

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:02:
loomy wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 12:55:
@Jagacademy

this anet employee has been a prominent and contentious personality for many years. she has been stalked and harassed and targeted by the craziest of the crazies. finally one of their brigades succeeded in getting her fired. it's nothing but a routine internet witch hunt by low-class losers.

@Cutter

you don't need to get the last word in every time. you told your joke, she said it was stupid, you both had your say. you don't need to come back with a tirade to defend yourself. she's allowed to not like your joke.

Yes, and like her you're permitted - unfortunately - to be a whiny little bitch as well. And like her, snowflakes like you need to learn to lighten the fuck up. I - and everyone else with a lick of common sense and who isn't a whiny little bitch - refuse to walk around on eggshells so as not to offend your over delicate little feelings.

But if you weren't a precious little snowflake, you wouldn't get all whiny when someone calls you out on your constant stream of bull : )

It's quite normal for people to complain the loudest, and use the targeted language of, the things they hate about themselves...

Given all that, here's an Internet <hug>, because we all can tell that you need it ; )

66. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 18:57 Muscular Beaver

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:52:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:32:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:29:
As a German all I can say is that the Beaver needs to pull that massive LOG out of his ass and grow some humor (yes, hard for us Germans, I know Wink ).

Cutter made a harmless, stupid joke with his "sour kraut" remark. No need to get one's panties in a bunch. Who gives a fuck?
Its not the joke I am talking about. Its how he told what happened and what he said after that joke. If that really happened like that (and isnt a joke) then he only made clear what an absolute scumbag he is.

What do you call white knighting for another guy?

Come on, you've been around long enough to know that Cutter is Mr. GrumpyCat incarnate and that he enjoys being an asshole sometimes .

He's the kind of guy who will accelerate instead of break when a cat crosses the street or the guy who will sneeze in someone's food at a full restaurant to get a free table or the guy who will hum along at a classic concert to annoy the fuck out of others.

I didn't mean to white-knight either. I just wanted to point out that his "joke" was by no means offensive or even racist to me as a "kraut". That's all.
Why should I be offended if someone calls me only a "sour kraut"?
Again, thats not whats its about.

65. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 18:52 CJ_Parker

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:32:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:29:
As a German all I can say is that the Beaver needs to pull that massive LOG out of his ass and grow some humor (yes, hard for us Germans, I know Wink ).

Cutter made a harmless, stupid joke with his "sour kraut" remark. No need to get one's panties in a bunch. Who gives a fuck?
Its not the joke I am talking about. Its how he told what happened and what he said after that joke. If that really happened like that (and isnt a joke) then he only made clear what an absolute scumbag he is.

What do you call white knighting for another guy?

Come on, you've been around long enough to know that Cutter is Mr. GrumpyCat incarnate and that he enjoys being an asshole sometimes .

He's the kind of guy who will accelerate instead of break when a cat crosses the street or the guy who will sneeze in someone's food at a full restaurant to get a free table or the guy who will hum along at a classic concert to annoy the fuck out of others.

I didn't mean to white-knight either. I just wanted to point out that his "joke" was by no means offensive or even racist to me as a "kraut". That's all.

64. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 18:36 Muscular Beaver

She "snapped" at everyone trying to calm the whole situation down, and blocked pretty much everyone who wasnt on her side. Still is.

83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo