Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Anthem Gameplay Video

BioWare now offers this video with the full 20 minute E3 demonstration for Anthem, their upcoming multiplayer action/RPG (thanks Hypothermia). Word is: "Lead Producer Ben Irving takes us through a 20-minute Anthem gameplay demonstration, originally shown at the E3 hands-on showcase. Discover more about the traversal, combat, and teamwork on display as a team of four Freelancers complete the mission 'Scars & Villainy'."

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2018, 12:52 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 12:13:
christheshitter wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 04:51:
I agree with Cutter this looks awfully dull just like a typical shitty third person consolegame does nowadays and has been for the last twenty years only exception is maybe the Zelda games.

Exactly. That's why I call these 'hamster wheel games'. Borderlands, Destiny, et al. it's all just shitty grind for variants of the same weapons. It's all courier and kill X number of rats quests. How the fuck anyone is vacuous enough to actually find that entertaining is beyond me. Jesus, it's fucking painful to watch the idiocracy of the world unfolding before your very eyes.

Meh, Borderlands was fun for a few reasons: funny quests and dialog, fun fighting mechanics, variety of enemy types, infinite gun and shield types, fun coop play, etc. It was a comic book game in a comic book setting, and it worked.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2018, 12:50 jdreyer

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 11:42:
-the giant numbers of 107! 107! 107! is actually really annoying.. It needs to be a generation above their heads not in front of the hit location. It greatly limits your accuracy of shooting.

Yeah, those numbers are dumb and feel completely out of place.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

36. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2018, 00:50 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 17:32:
Only in 2018 the graphics are ridiculously better, people expect every game to be superior to the Witcher 3 in terms of story, and better than <insert your game of choice> in gameplay mechanics.

Hey, it's been freaking Bioware themselves who have been going with the whole "Anthem is like nothing you have ever played before" hype, only to then show off the most bog-standard shooter fare with gameplay and mechanics everyone has seen dozens of time before. Don't blame people for calling them out on their bullshit.

I think this game will be pretty mediocre fare that only offers pretty graphics, but at the same time I hope it does well enough that it won't kill Bioware outright, as I'd like to see if maybe this particular BW team can recapture the Mass Effect magic. And if Anthem tanks hard, I think that's going to be it for BW.

In any case, some articles I've been reading have some quotes from Mark Darrah that basically seem to contradict their whole "Oh, but there's tons of story in your hub! This will still be a Bioware game!"

Mark Darrah (Anthem's executive producer) on dialogue options: "I think we're only doing binary branching, as opposed to six [options], just because this is bringing in some different people and that can kind of be an intimidating thing."

Yeah, all that talking, man! All that lore. Who gives a shit about that. Let's get some pew pew pew up in here!

Then in a video later, he said "I don't see why anyone would ever roll another character."

:\

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2018, 01:31.

35. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 20:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

Sepharo wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 19:44:
I think I, Cutter, and a few others are just saying we don't like the genre.
Game does look pretty though.

I understand, and honestly the complaints look relatively valid. I still think we're all becoming a little too jaded though; most of us have been playing games for like 20-30+ years, nostalgia and a few standout games during that time period make it kind of hard to really enjoy any new games sometimes. It's too easy to remember where somebody did something better, or at least it was new to everybody back in game X, etc.

Hopefully overlay stuff like the damage numbers have a toggle, and/or at least a wider range based on targeted area. The current footage makes them seem pretty pointless to have pop up. The overheating jetpacks seem like they will receive enough criticism about the waterfalls to at least pressure Bioware to change them, but I suspect they'll stay that way for balance reasons. Not being able to trade weapons between other players or even your own characters seems like a gross oversight, and I hope it gets changed.

It's the coop though, there are only so many games that even attempt coop for real these days.

34. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 19:44 Sepharo

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 17:32:
Meh, you guys are expecting too much. Look at this as 3D Diablo, blasting mindless AI with your friends while you chat, IRC style almost.

Only in 2018 the graphics are ridiculously better, people expect every game to be superior to the Witcher 3 in terms of story, and better than <insert your game of choice> in gameplay mechanics.

Since studios have gotten spanked a little about the lootbox/pay to win stuff, I'm hoping any paid extras are merely cosmetic, and all game-changing content is open to everybody. If there is a DLC paywall eventually, the coop group will re-evaluate later.

I think I, Cutter, and a few others are just saying we don't like the genre.
Game does look pretty though.

33. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 17:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

Meh, you guys are expecting too much. Look at this as 3D Diablo, blasting mindless AI with your friends while you chat, IRC style almost.

Since studios have gotten spanked a little about the lootbox/pay to win stuff, I'm hoping any paid extras are merely cosmetic, and all game-changing content is open to everybody. If there is a DLC paywall eventually, the coop group will re-evaluate later.

32. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 17:23 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 12:13:
I agree with Cutter this looks awfully dull just like a typical shitty third person consolegame does nowadays and has been for the last twenty years only exception is maybe the Zelda games.

Exactly. That's why I call these 'hamster wheel games'. Borderlands, Destiny, et al. it's all just shitty grind for variants of the same weapons. It's all courier and kill X number of rats quests. How the fuck anyone is vacuous enough to actually find that entertaining is beyond me. Jesus, it's fucking painful to watch the idiocracy of the world unfolding before your very eyes.

Minus the "I'm smarter than everyone" / idiocracy rant, I agree.
Not a fan at all of the FPS MMO genre of grindy bullshit BUT WITH GUNS!

31. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 15:47 Darks

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 13:12:
Darks wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 10:53:
I dont understand why people keep giving them grief over ME 3. They had nothing to do with making that game, sure, they outsourced it, but that wasnt this teams game. This is the same Dev team that created ME 1 and 2. They did not make 3. So you guys are comparing apple to oranges here.

We all loved the original ME 1 and 2 so, I know this is going to be a good game too. You can see the amount of work thats already gone into the game.

ME:A, not ME3. The same team made ME 1, 2 and 3. A different team made ME:A.

And sure, they've put a lot of work into it, that doesn't mean it's going to be a good game. This is so far out of their wheelhouse, and it looks like they literally just copied and pasted bits from 3 or 4 different games to come up with this "It's like nothing you've ever played before!*"

* By this we mean it's exactly like a ton of shit you've played before.

Sorry, that is what I was referring to was the last ME game that released. it was not done by these guys making Anthem.

So, I don't understand some of the hate going on with this.

This is the same team who made those previous games that were really good. so that's what I'm trying to point out that with their track record I'm pretty sure this game will be good.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

30. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 13:12 Creston

Darks wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 10:53:
I dont understand why people keep giving them grief over ME 3. They had nothing to do with making that game, sure, they outsourced it, but that wasnt this teams game. This is the same Dev team that created ME 1 and 2. They did not make 3. So you guys are comparing apple to oranges here.

We all loved the original ME 1 and 2 so, I know this is going to be a good game too. You can see the amount of work thats already gone into the game.

ME:A, not ME3. The same team made ME 1, 2 and 3. A different team made ME:A.

And sure, they've put a lot of work into it, that doesn't mean it's going to be a good game. This is so far out of their wheelhouse, and it looks like they literally just copied and pasted bits from 3 or 4 different games to come up with this "It's like nothing you've ever played before!*"

* By this we mean it's exactly like a ton of shit you've played before.

29. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 12:13 Cutter

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

28. removed Jul 6, 2018, 12:09 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 7, 2018, 12:01.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

27. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 11:42 Tipsy McStagger

So here's my 2 cents:

-EA is a shit company looking to milk the crap out of gamers. Bungie has been doing this with Destiny 1 and 2 with horrible content for full price of AAA games. This will be no different. While I have no problem with purely cosmetic micro transactions, this won't be that. Get ready for "Your super ability that you want is in loot boxes"
-Games in Alpha, that being said the combat looks very borderlands/division with bullet sponges. While some people hate this it can be a lot of fun as you're getting maximum DAKKA.
-obviously it looks like console interface because that'll be the platform they're going for with teenagers begging mom and dad for chicken logos on their pink mechs and such. See Fortnite success for more details in cosmetics.
-They're trying to sell people on "FLY UP AND DOWN!" but that doens't mean it'll be fun. It's a gimmick unless they multi-tier maps that the same boss dungeon can be done 4 different ways with 4 different play styles.. in which case that would take too much development time so they'll do 4 multi-tiers, all of them the same and one will be the #1 choice for speed loot runs and no one will see the other 3 tiers until thye group with their friends drinking and wanting to check out others.
-the giant numbers of 107! 107! 107! is actually really annoying.. It needs to be a generation above their heads not in front of the hit location. It greatly limits your accuracy of shooting.

Overall, it has lots of potential. I fear it'll be released 1 year early and will nickel and dime quarter and dollar you for little things that should have been in from the start.

26. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 10:53 Darks

Brazor wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 10:37:
ShakaUVM wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 07:29:
Huh. I'm not interested in a Bioware game. Either I'm getting old, or Mass Effect: Andromeda ruined the company for me.

The game looks awfully bland and uninteresting. I'll pick it up on a sale, maybe.
I've been seeing similar attitudes about this game. The whole thing with ME:A is going to cost them some day, week and month 1 sales. We'll see just how much when the launch happens.

25. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 10:42 rawbelly

Looks like the Destiny formula. Lobby, lobby, load, load. Get to end of hallway, kill boss.

Sure. Why not.

Visuals are neato.

24. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 10:37 Brazor

ShakaUVM wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 07:29:
Huh. I'm not interested in a Bioware game. Either I'm getting old, or Mass Effect: Andromeda ruined the company for me.

The game looks awfully bland and uninteresting. I'll pick it up on a sale, maybe.
I've been seeing similar attitudes about this game. The whole thing with ME:A is going to cost them some day, week and month 1 sales. We'll see just how much when the launch happens.

23. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 09:57 Darks

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 09:11:
Darks wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 08:34:
As for the dialog, some of thats most likely placeholder material for now. the game doesn't go into final polish until late Sept.

Yeah, that's what I said about Andromeda too. I'm pretty damn sure this is final dialogue, not placeholder material.

IDK, I can ask my friend and see. But I tend to not worry to much about the dialog that much. Im more concerned with the game play aspects and fun factor. And its got Coop so that a big plus for me.

22. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 09:11 Creston

Darks wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 08:34:
As for the dialog, some of thats most likely placeholder material for now. the game doesn't go into final polish until late Sept.

Yeah, that's what I said about Andromeda too. I'm pretty damn sure this is final dialogue, not placeholder material.

21. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 08:34 Darks

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 08:24:
VaranDragon wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 07:14:
Now, IF it had a hardcore mode, with trading for loot between people

They've already said there is no trading loot between players. Perhaps not even between your own characters. :\

Im pretty sure there will some kind of shared stash. But I will make a suggestion to my friend who is working on this game.

20. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 08:33 Darks

Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2018, 21:20:
Yawn. That's a solid pass for me. Maybe in a few years when it's 5 bucks and only if I have nothing else to play at the time.

Seriously dude, how are we supposed to play some Coop with that kind of attitude.

Im really looking forward to this game.

19. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 08:24 Creston

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 07:14:
Now, IF it had a hardcore mode, with trading for loot between people

They've already said there is no trading loot between players. Perhaps not even between your own characters. :\

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo