Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record

The addition of a free-to-play battle royale mode to Fortnite has turned it into a record-breaking moneymaker ever in the free-to-play space, reports Recode based on SuperData Research (thanks Slashdot via Ant. Battle royale mode has taken in over $1.2 billion in cosmetic in-game purchases since launching. This includes $318.3M in May 2018, obliterating the previous record for monthly revenue set by Lineage M, which took in $223.6M in July of last year. Further analysis notes the game's revenue is steadily increasing, compared to the declines suffered by Pokemon GO after a spectacular launch. They do note, however, that the pace of this growth is slowing:
May revenue rose just 7.6 percent, down from 32 percent in April, marking the slowest revenue growth month for the game. Most of that growth came from consoles, while iOS and PC revenue were flat. However, when Fortnite is finally released on Android this summer, growth could pick up again.
View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 28, 2018, 08:19 Dev

That's a pretty big chunk of change  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 28, 2018, 08:04 SpectralMeat

Numinar wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 04:17:
Someone needs a game that does PUBG ranged combat with battlfield/cod close range stuff and BF1 graphics/detail at PUBG map sizes and then we are golden.
I thought the new BF game that's coming out in October has a Battle Royale mode. That might be what you're looking for

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 28, 2018, 05:27 ViRGE

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:55:
Darks wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:49:
This is actually disgusting that people throw away their money so easily on virtual items. This was very obvious at E3 on how much Swag and all the free food they were giving away.

Especially the Freshly made Chocolate Chip cookies they were baking on site thought out the entire E3 experience.

You know what they say about a fool and their money.

No sign of the ending of those micro transactions in sight. I don't have any beef with cosmetic items though so at least good on fortnite for that.
Yeah. It's hard to fault Epic here. They did everything right: they made a F2P game with purely cosmetic microtransactions, and there's not loot boxes/gambling.

So you can play the game, never pay a dime, and be every bit as competitive as any other player, for as far as your skill will take you. It's F2P done right; that's not even something Valve can manage.

It's a silly amount of money and I can hardly believe that people are spending this much on it, but good on Epic for doing everything honestly. They've earned their success.

13. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 28, 2018, 04:17 Numinar

It's hard to be mad at them. I'm not smart enough to make these idiots/kids send me billions of dollars for digital art assets.

I prefer PUBG, my years with ARMA make the clunky but slightly less horrible PUBG movement seem amazing. Someone needs a game that does PUBG ranged combat with battlfield/cod close range stuff and BF1 graphics/detail at PUBG map sizes and then we are golden.

I play a lot of games with my 9yo, who is still deep in the Minecraft phase of drawing plans for buildings she will make when the weekend rolls around but she said Fortnite is what all the kids at school are playing. If it's a fad it's a massive one.

12. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 27, 2018, 20:46 Osc8r

Not sure why anyone in their right mind would spend waste $20 on some lousy skin.

But hey, thank you for giving me an awesome game to play for absolutely nothing. Hopefully all other companies follow suit shortly.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 27, 2018, 18:51 chickenboo

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 18:17:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 14:27:
aka_STEVE wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 14:04:
mind boggling - how you can make over a Billion dollars selling virtual items.

get a good fraction of the kids in the world playing your game and begging their parents for that cool outfit all their friends have, and you have a gold mine, it turns out =)

I was eating dinner at a restaurant the other day and the family beside me was arguing with their kid about fortnite and his friends all playing it.

Kid was maybe 8-10 years old. Didn't realize is was THAT big.

The funny part of that is it's just a fad. In a year or two fortnite will begin to feel old hat and the masses will move on to a new title, or by then there will be so many battle royale titles that the player base will fracture.

My age bracket had the Pogs fad, the Tamagochi fad, Legos, SNES/N64s that we all had our parents spend real money on. Fortnite isn't much different other than the money being spent is on digital goods/clothing. Kinda sad, in a way, but not much different from being unable to go back and visit that one Charmander you had on your GameBoy in one game which some later save over-wrote.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 27, 2018, 18:17 Tipsy McStagger

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 14:27:

get a good fraction of the kids in the world playing your game and begging their parents for that cool outfit all their friends have, and you have a gold mine, it turns out =)

I was eating dinner at a restaurant the other day and the family beside me was arguing with their kid about fortnite and his friends all playing it.

Kid was maybe 8-10 years old. Didn't realize is was THAT big.

9. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 27, 2018, 17:50 theglaze

My only beef with this is that the game is shit...

I really hope Battlefield can become the AAA Battle Royale mode with the foundation of a proper shooter with great level design, physics, graphics, gun-play, vehicles, etc, etc.

PUBG and Fornite are meant for smelly casuals!

8. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 27, 2018, 15:57 Creston

Jesus Christ. And here we're all sitting wondering why nobody makes normal games anymore, and everybody wants to humpfuck the mtx gravy-train.  

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 27, 2018, 14:27 Mordecai Walfish

6. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 27, 2018, 14:04 aka_STEVE

5. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 27, 2018, 13:44 Darks

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 13:12:

Indeed. I will admit to purchasing some cosmetic items for PUBG. But I only spent a few dollars which I actually earned by SELLING cosmetic items for PUBG.

Im not telling anyone they shouldn't spend any money, but I have seen some that are very reckless with how they do it. to the point of it effecting their livelihood.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

4. $1.2 billion Jun 27, 2018, 13:28 RedEye9

$1.2 billion
No one is ever allowed to complain about the piddling sum CIG has amassed for SC ever again.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

3. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 27, 2018, 13:12 VaranDragon

Indeed. I will admit to purchasing some cosmetic items for PUBG. But I only spent a few dollars which I actually earned by SELLING cosmetic items for PUBG.

2. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 27, 2018, 12:55 Tipsy McStagger

This is actually disgusting that people throw away their money so easily on virtual items. This was very obvious at E3 on how much Swag and all the free food they were giving away.

Especially the Freshly made Chocolate Chip cookies they were baking on site thought out the entire E3 experience.

No sign of the ending of those micro transactions in sight. I don't have any beef with cosmetic items though so at least good on fortnite for that.

1. Re: Fortnite Sets Monthly F2P Sales Record Jun 27, 2018, 12:49 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >