Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Anarchy Online Turns 17

Funcom is celebrating the 17th anniversary of Anarchy Online, offering everyone with an account in good standing to come back and play for free for the next week (thanks Kxmode). 17 years is a good run for any game, and this is something few would have predicted for this science fiction MMORPG during its launch, which hit a few speed bumps. They also offer the chance to mark the occasion with your wallet. Here's word:

Today, Anarchy Online celebrates its 17th year of active service. Not a whole lot of games can boast this kind of accomplishment, and we sincerely thank you for your continued love and support of Anarchy Online. You are the very matter that makes up this universe, so thank you again.

To celebrate, beginning today (June 26th) and lasting until July 19th, Ganimedes Personal Jetpack & Nano Crystal (Balloons) are available in the shop, and an array of new membership offers and new armor that increase stats as you level up! Plus, ANY account in good standing (i.e. not suspended, deleted, etc. ) will be able to log in for FREE starting today until July 5th.

Subscribers can also log in to pick up a Ganimedes Personal Jetpack MK II!

SPECIAL OFFERS:
Purchase a 3 month subscription to receive the Dust Brigade Tech Unit Legwear, Gloves, and Boots, along with one Combat Nano Can: Premium Experience Boost.

Purchase a 6 month subscription to receive the Dust Brigade Tech Unit Legwear, Shirt, Sleeves, Gloves, and Boots, along with two Combat Nano Can: Premium Experience Boost.

Purchase a 12 month subscription to receive a Vacuum-Packed Dust Brigade Tech Unit Armor pack which includes everything, a Dust Brigade Technician Datapad, and four Combat Nano Can: Premium Experience Boost.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jul 2, 2018, 19:04 JohnnyRotten

Great game - ton's of fun. Man that launch was terrible (warping, zoning in one place and ending up in the wrong spot on the board, inability to warp) and the early "even" patches that would invariably f* things up.

Loved how the flying used to work and some the early exploits (like spell bombing while falling out the sky).

The skills/stat engine is still far-and-away the most complex in any games I've ever played. Twinking was a blast.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jul 1, 2018, 23:47 Ant

Has this game improved since its beta? I didn't like it back then.  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

23. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 28, 2018, 18:40 Keith

Was one of my favorite MMO's as well. Unfortunately it hasn't aged well and it's too hard for me to play due to the low quality graphics. I am surprised Funcom keeps releasing other games when AO was their best achievement (albeit with a nasty launch) and Conan and Secret World just don't have the personality that AO did.  

22. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 28, 2018, 09:45 Malvok

I so loved this game. I tried getting back into it a few times over the years but it's easy to forget how everything works. Also you really need a lot of people to get the necessary buffs for equipment and such. Each time I tried to return there were less and less people around. I logged in a few minutes ago and it sure put a smile on my face. My characters were still in my old guild. Sadly, I only saw a couple people around the city. Logged out.  

21. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 28, 2018, 07:45 Jonjonz

I had been keeping AO installed with the forlorn hopes that someday Funcom would see the light and a) crackdown on all of the exploiters and b) really start supporting and developing the game.

Last week I came to the conclusion that they will never do that, and instead they will continue to hack out a new version of Conan every few years, so I deleted my AO install and related add-ons.

I just could not see going back ever to a game so riddled with exploits and the resulting insane economy.

It hard to see so many great features lay fallow, twinking before P2W cash shops and no drop items, its an old school MMO term older than some Blue's readers, extremely flexible build system, the trinity, aliens, large scale pvp that worked, player cities, player shops, creepy and fun dungeons.

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

20. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 28, 2018, 01:35 jdreyer

Timmeh wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 14:21:
TorchMaster wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:41:
I was there... The implant customization meta-game was very creative. The futuristic setting was a breath of fresh air for the MMO space. Everything else about this was garbage.

yeah no... everything else was and is Genioso

It had and still does random generated single and solo player mission of about 20 different types with team support. they have had that since 2001.

It had and still does have deep crafting system

It has all kinds of vehicles including Mechs

It has the ultimate Twinking system ever designed.

It has land control battles, it has Orginizational Cities, Alien invasions, an entire secondary supernaturally styled world

I mean its insane, and its completely FALSE for anyone to suggest that this game is even remotely "garbage".
Best Timmeh comment ever.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 21:19 DarkV

Fion wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:54:
Shout out to 3305 Local!

My favorite MMO ever, though I haven't played in ages. Haha I remember the very early days when it was buggy as hell. My (clan-side) guild settled in Old Athen because it was the least laggy, and a small empty building there became our headquarters, and we'd farm the junkyard out in Athen Shire.

I remember because that game was so buggy and had such a huge memory leak early on that I upgraded to a whopping 500mb of memory. Used to blow people away that I had that much lol.

It really was a refreshingly complex MMO with a lot of new ideas that became standard in games like WoW and other more popular titles. AO2 would be awesome, but MMOs aren't that successful anymore and it's not like the IP is well known.

My first MMO.....fun times meeting people from all over. Synergy Factor was my clan guild. Still remember "Da Humpster" humping people at the SF wall.

18. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 20:45 Fion

I loved LOTRO, I just wish the combat system was a little more interesting. I was part of a fantastic RP guild, between that and exploring the world I grew up loving, I had a blast. If only you could level up by farming pipe-weed and RP'ing, I'd have played that game for years.

And Jdreyer, twinking is when you take a low level character and bend the games rules to equip powerful equipment. AO had amazing twinking because gear doesn't require a level, but meeting minimum required stats. The games implant system allowed you to choose like augmentation implants that boosted every potential stat in the game (and there are a LOT). With enough time, money & friends (with high level spells), you could get a level 20 character into gear meant for level 100 characters and just destroy shit.

I was never the best at it, but I knew people who would use scientific calculators to eke every last ounce of power out of the system.

I made a lot of money as a Fixer getting this buffing gear for people. The Fixer class was one of the weakest at launch, and there were so few of us we had a secret underground network that we'd work together taking jobs for people and running missions for rare goods.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2018, 20:57.

17. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 20:16 Kxmode

Caladell wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 18:52:
KezClone wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 18:25:
sauron wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 16:11:
*Twitches and prevents self from re-installing GW2, FFXI, FFXIV, and especially LOTRO*.

Those things are crack, man, even if you're the Dark Lord.

Go for LOTRO!

I did it myself a few months back, even subscribed. It's still amazing!

Gah. Now I want to reinstall it...

Problem with LOTRO is "free" accounts have to pay money to get the quests in each map. As you might expect that can cost. If you want to tingle your nostalgia for free go GW2 and ESO.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 20:04 jdreyer

TorchMaster wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 15:36:
I mean its insane, and its completely FALSE for anyone to suggest that this game is even remotely "garbage".

I'll cede your point, but very little of that existed at launch. I'm like some of the earlier posters: the game was so FUBAR that I've never again been tempted to play another of Funcom's games.

I have a vague memory that AO had a positive Twinking system, but the best of breed for that has to be Ascheron's Call. I wonder why later MMOs never furthered those mechanics -- it seems like developers just went the direction of making leveling much easier.

I played both AC and AO, and I never heard of a "twinking" system. Are you sure that's the right word? It has other meanings, but don't Google it at work.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 19:20 Lorcin

I'm a played a lot of AO around the time the Alien Landings thing went in. With content like that and the TOT3W I was loving it.

Trouble was it took SO long to level up and that just turned into grinding hecks. I stopped when I got to the frozen level asked what we were going to do there and was told "Hecks".

14. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 19:09 RaZ0r!

This game is still running? Is it as dead as it was at launch?  

13. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 18:52 Caladell

KezClone wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 18:25:
*Twitches and prevents self from re-installing GW2, FFXI, FFXIV, and especially LOTRO*.

Go for LOTRO!

Gah. Now I want to reinstall it...

12. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 18:25 KezClone

Go for LOTRO!

11. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 16:48 wtf_man

Depends... I'm completely burned out on MMO's and probably won't ever put a dime into one again. Sick and tired of goal posts moving, complete rule changes, and nerfs.

That said, in general, it has been a fun ride over the years though... starting with MUDs in the mid 90's.

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

10. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 16:11 sauron

Kittens!

9. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 15:36 TorchMaster

I'll cede your point, but very little of that existed at launch. I'm like some of the earlier posters: the game was so FUBAR that I've never again been tempted to play another of Funcom's games.

I have a vague memory that AO had a positive Twinking system, but the best of breed for that has to be Ascheron's Call. I wonder why later MMOs never furthered those mechanics -- it seems like developers just went the direction of making leveling much easier.

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

8. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 14:21 Timmeh

TorchMaster wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:41:
I was there... The implant customization meta-game was very creative. The futuristic setting was a breath of fresh air for the MMO space. Everything else about this was garbage.

yeah no... everything else was and is Genioso

It had and still does random generated single and solo player mission of about 20 different types with team support. they have had that since 2001.

It had and still does have deep crafting system

It has all kinds of vehicles including Mechs

It has the ultimate Twinking system ever designed.

It has land control battles, it has Orginizational Cities, Alien invasions, an entire secondary supernaturally styled world

7. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 13:16 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:54:
Anyone play this since the graphical update? How does it look?

Yes. Within the last 4-5 years. It's nothing like WOW's graphical overhaul, but it does look much better.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

6. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 17 Jun 27, 2018, 12:54 Fion

Shout out to 3305 Local!

My favorite MMO ever, though I haven't played in ages. Haha I remember the very early days when it was buggy as hell. My (clan-side) guild settled in Old Athen because it was the least laggy, and a small empty building there became our headquarters, and we'd farm the junkyard out in Athen Shire.

I remember because that game was so buggy and had such a huge memory leak early on that I upgraded to a whopping 500mb of memory. Used to blow people away that I had that much lol.

It really was a refreshingly complex MMO with a lot of new ideas that became standard in games like WoW and other more popular titles. AO2 would be awesome, but MMOs aren't that successful anymore and it's not like the IP is well known.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo