Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Evening Tech Bits

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 22, 2018, 21:57 AlexSledge

Disney is very good at what they do, and that is make money. If there's money to be had, we'll see more Alien universe movies. The new Predator movie that's about to drop will likely affect the overall franchise, so I'm hoping it's good, and encourages future movies/games/coffee mugs/bed sheets/action figures/breakfast cereal/etc...  

I should be coding.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 22, 2018, 00:31 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 18:09:
Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 15:38:
I mean, when was the last time a GOOD Alien movie came out? I'm pretty sure it was 1986.

I maintain that Alien 3 was a genuinely good movie. It just wasn't at all what the fans of Aliens wanted. Had it been released as its own movie independent from the Alien franchise, it very likely would have had the kind of sci-fi cult following that attached to movies like Pitch Black. It was a David Fincher (Fight Club, Zodiac, Gone Girl, etc.) film after all.

Fair enough. I thought it was pretty boring, just the first one in a different location. Even so, that still leaves like 26 years since the last good Alien movie.

Maybe Disney won't do anything with them, or will fuck it up just as badly as Fox, but it really can't possibly be worse.

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 20:17 eRe4s3r

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 09:59:
I think it would be better if Disney didn't get Alien nor Predator. 2 franchises they will UTTERLY fuck up. And the only 2 Fox franchises I give 2 ct about. I can already see it, Alien the musical. Alien kid friendly movies, predator plush toys. That's Disney in a nutshell. They ruined Star Wars and now they will ruin Alien and Predator.

Because they weren't... already... ruined? I mean, when was the last time a GOOD Alien movie came out? I'm pretty sure it was 1986.

And again, Comcast wouldn't do any better with it.

Disney won't do anything with it, no game licenses and no mature movies. Because Disney does not do mature IP for adults. And yes, I am not even counting Star Wars as a mature story anymore. That has always been extremely family friendly but the last Disney movies put it straight into kids friendly Cartoon Network range.

Alien Isolation would never have happened if Disney had owned the IP.

And I think a franchise can be ruined by adding onto it just as much as by not adding on to it. Disney will fuck Aliens up, there is not even doubt in that, either by willfully letting it die (meaning no game licenses) or by making it family friendly. Because if it don't sell their idiotic theme parks it doesn't get boosted by Disney money.

And lastly, I think ethically Disney is one of the *worst* companies that exist.

Either way, I would be happy with no Alien sequels. But that doesn't mean I don't want an Alien RPG.

14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 18:09 Scottish Martial Arts

I mean, when was the last time a GOOD Alien movie came out? I'm pretty sure it was 1986.

I maintain that Alien 3 was a genuinely good movie. It just wasn't at all what the fans of Aliens wanted. Had it been released as its own movie independent from the Alien franchise, it very likely would have had the kind of sci-fi cult following that attached to movies like Pitch Black. It was a David Fincher (Fight Club, Zodiac, Gone Girl, etc.) film after all.

13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 15:38 Creston

I think it would be better if Disney didn't get Alien nor Predator. 2 franchises they will UTTERLY fuck up. And the only 2 Fox franchises I give 2 ct about. I can already see it, Alien the musical. Alien kid friendly movies, predator plush toys. That's Disney in a nutshell. They ruined Star Wars and now they will ruin Alien and Predator.

Because they weren't... already... ruined? I mean, when was the last time a GOOD Alien movie came out? I'm pretty sure it was 1986.

And again, Comcast wouldn't do any better with it.

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 12:28 Nullity

Neither the Alien nor Predator franchises have had a good movie in a long time. Fox already ruined both of them many years ago. It's only uphill from here, as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Whoops, should have finished reading the thread before I replied, Beamer beat me to it.

EDIT 2: Plus, no one is better suited to handle the Xmen and Fantastic Four properties than Disney. And on top of that, they'll finally have full distribution rights for all the Star Wars films, so maybe we can finally get an un-fucked-with original trilogy release in HD/4k.

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 10:40 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 08:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 20, 2018, 22:26:
And millions of movie fans look for the nearest cliff.

Why? Do you think Comcast would do a better job of handling Fox's movie properties? Or that Disney wouldn't be better than Fox?

I have no particular love of Disney, but it's really not hard to see how they would handle the X-men and Fantastic Four SUBSTANTIALLY better than the barrels of shit that Fox has been turning those properties into. (To be fair, most of the X-men movies were pretty good, it was just the third one in each series that was terrible.)

Honest question: is it possible to make these worse than they are?

I know some here enjoy the recent Alien movies (counting Prometheus), but the general reception for them was kind of poor. Alien3 was a decent movie, perhaps, that the studio boned. Alien 4 was awful. Predator 2 is awful. Predators was awful. Predator, the new one, looks somehow worse, despite being made by a talented guy. Alien vs Predator was unwatchable. Alien vs Predator 2 looked even more unwatchable.

It's kind of like fearing Disney would screw up Captain America because the 1990 one was so good.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 09:59 eRe4s3r

Why? Do you think Comcast would do a better job of handling Fox's movie properties? Or that Disney wouldn't be better than Fox?

I have no particular love of Disney, but it's really not hard to see how they would handle the X-men and Fantastic Four SUBSTANTIALLY better than the barrels of shit that Fox has been turning those properties into. (To be fair, most of the X-men movies were pretty good, it was just the third one in each series that was terrible.)

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 09:34 Beamer

I'd say:

1) It's infinitely better to get a larger media company than a network company that owns a large media company

2) Disney will absolutely do a better job with each and every Fox property than Fox has managed

3) Having fewer large media companies is bad, especially with Disney planning to build its own streaming network, meaning there will be less content available to other streaming networks as much of it may go exclusive to Disney's, or Disney may do exclusive deals elsewhere.

Given how poorly Fox did with Fox properties, I'd say the value of Disney's current ability to make films outweighs the loss of Fox as an independent media company, for me personally.

Though it'll be interesting to see what Disney does with Fox's R rated properties. Disney did R rated stuff decades ago under Touchstone, but really trimmed the fat and Touchstone is essentially dead. Can't imagine they let Alien or Predator go, but maybe they'll find someone interested in doing a good Alien or Predator movie.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 08:54 Creston

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 05:37 Mordecai Walfish

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 20, 2018, 23:51:
Dan =0) wrote on Jun 20, 2018, 23:30:
Mouse bids to buy fox for more money than most any human will ever see in their lifetime.

Dan =0)
So? Do you think corporations should be sold for an average worker's annual salary? Not sure what point you are attempting to make...

its an irony-laced headline, because of the depiction of a mouse and a fox spending more money than even a human has.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 21, 2018, 01:09 maddog

No wonder Disney keeps raising their prices at their parks.

Meh, no fucks given. I've been boycotting all things Disney since they forced their IT guys to train their indian replacements then fired the Americans.

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 20, 2018, 23:51 Mr. Tact

Dan =0) wrote on Jun 20, 2018, 23:30:
Mouse bids to buy fox for more money than most any human will ever see in their lifetime.

Dan =0)
So? Do you think corporations should be sold for an average worker's annual salary? Not sure what point you are attempting to make...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 20, 2018, 23:30 Dan =0)

Dan =0)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 20, 2018, 22:26 eRe4s3r

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 20, 2018, 21:25 RedEye9

And millions of fox news watchers reapplied fixodent to their dentures.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 20, 2018, 21:19 Creston

It's as if millions of Fox stockholder voices cried out in joy.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >