Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September

The LawBreakers Website has the news that the recent closure of Boss Key Productions is changing end-of-life plans for LawBreakers, their first-person shooter that ended development in April (thanks VG247). They were continuing to support the game, but following their closure they now plan to shut down servers on September 14th. The silver lining, if it can be called that, is that the game will be free-to-play between now and then:

Dear LawBreakers,

In light of the unfortunate news regarding Boss Key Productions shutting down, we regret to announce that we will be sunsetting our support of LawBreakers on September 14, 2018 as we are not able to operate the game.

Our servers will remain open until then and the game will be made free-to-play on Steam for all players effective immediately. Please note that any and all new in-game purchases will also be disabled and we will not be able to accept any refund requests.

We truly appreciate your understanding in this difficult time and we want to thank you all your support and being a part of the passionate LawBreakers community.

Thank you for staying with us throughout this journey.

-The LawBreakers Team

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 14, 2018, 11:47 Armengar

Beamer wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 12:23:
Armengar wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 12:21:
team fortress 2? diablo 3? star craft 2? Counter strike?

None of those started strong and plummeted.

I think you're underestimating how strong those were to start, as well as how few 6,000 actually is. Also, I'm off by a factor of 10 - by the end of the first month, it was 600.

Star trek online and World of Tanks. Both those tanked in the first years they ran. STO went F2P and picked up massively. World of Tanks peaked a few years back but was (still is) large.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 14, 2018, 09:44 HoSpanky

So I guess the real question here is, will they release the server software so the game doesn’t die when they turn off the servers in September? They could then sell the game for cheap on Steam, in the $2-$5 range, and make more money than if they shut it down entirely. SOMEONE would always keep a server running. It could turn into a LAN party favorite (they’re rare now, but not dead). None of this would be particularly difficult for them to do, unlike the suggestions of turning it into a different genre. Why let all that work disappear entirely? Why not give it a chance to still sell (deeply discounted) copies?  

25. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 14, 2018, 03:20 Muscular Beaver

Slashman wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 18:06:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 17:49:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 15:48:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 13:36:
And when he started this BR clone 4 years ago... what would he be cloning?

Good point, hard to see in the future but there were examples of this from quake 3 arena "last man standing" mods back in the day. I remember playing something similar to a battle royale back in Quake 2.

Obviously this is early 2000 and it took till ~2016ish with PUBG and The Culling to really catapult this genre.
The Culling? The Culling never really started. And now its dead. Stupid devs again. The players told them what they want, but they ignored them.

I think players underestimate how difficult it is for developers to change direction and alter all their future plans regardless of the wants of the majority of players. Not getting it right the first time is a near-certain death-knell.

That's not really anyone's fault. Hindsight is 20-20 afterall. This is the risk of trying to make a multiplayer only game.
The thing is that the game at one point was like the players wanted it. But the devs decided to change it (it really wasnt huge changes, easily reversible, but they made the game a lot worse) and stick with it.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 14, 2018, 01:34 Sepharo

Acrobatic, sure, on like 10-15% of the available heroes.
10 of the 27 characters are capable of vertical mobility
and of those 10, five or six I would say are very vertical as opposed to just possible
So the percent is more like a range of 18%-37%

Every hero has such totally different shooting mechanics, it's just like Team Fortress 2. Each hero is really only best in a very particular situation or range, with a few exceptions.
Not really. I don't even know what a "very particular situation" would be here... there is extreme flexibility.

I just want some "normal" guns, rockets, lazers, whatever
It has all of these... you've played this game right?

ALSO LOW GRAVITY@! It's like poeple forgot how much fun low-grav servers were back in the day.
And it has this too... wtf come on man. Thought you were a fan of the shootin games like me.

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 14, 2018, 01:02 Slick

Acrobatic, sure, on like 10-15% of the available heroes. But I barely consider it a shooter. Every hero has such totally different shooting mechanics, it's just like Team Fortress 2. Each hero is really only best in a very particular situation or range, with a few exceptions.

I just want some "normal" guns, rockets, lazers, whatever... and for EVERY class to have an intersting mobility option. LB does that. I can play any class and have fun. ALSO LOW GRAVITY@! It's like poeple forgot how much fun low-grav servers were back in the day.

In OW there's like 3 or 4 heroes I play and have fun with, the rest are a waste of space. It'd be like playing battlefield and only ever playing sniper, never jumping in a tank, or a jet, or play as support, medic etc. That's the feeling I get playing OW.

Also the feeling of wanting to slit my wrists when for the 400th time I'm screamed at by angry nerds because I picked the "wrong" hero. Fuck right the fuck off with that shit.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 14, 2018, 00:18 Sepharo

Slick wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 23:33:
I'm sad that Arena combat is all Overwatch these days, fucking blizzard, and fucking dumb gamers that only buy blizzard products. At least when they do they know that their servers won't get turned off a year in the future...

Fuck. I miss skill-based acrobatic arena shooters. Not this cartoony hero-based goofy shit. I fucking love Lawbreakers, this breaks my heart. Just one more nail in the coffin of gaming culture for me.

There are plenty of acrobatics in Overwatch if you want to play that way.
I've been playing it moderately for 2 years now and still enjoy it.
Also against all odds the Deathmatch in Overwatch is actually damn good. And now that they've added competitive rankings and matchmaking to DM it's consistently challenging. I kind of fucking love it to be honest.
And it's not a Blizzard fanboy thing either. The only other game I have from them is vanilla WoW which I played for a few months in 2004.

edit:
Even Zen mains can fly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk32VavYZ9A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTE7MVRCNA

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2018, 00:30.

21. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 14, 2018, 00:04 PacoTaco

I think I predicted this, in fact I think most everyone predicted this outcome. RIP BossKey.

CliffyB can return to being a drunk happy video game personality instead of a game developer.

The good news is that Epic has a lot of jobs and Fortnite is doing well!

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 13, 2018, 23:33 Slick

All the mechanicswould have to be reworked for an open-world BR mode. Everything was built around small team arena combat. Especially with the various different gravity bubbles/zones.

I'm sure it could be done, but it would involve a lot more than just building a big map and saying "HERE YA GO!"

I'm sad that Arena combat is all Overwatch these days, fucking blizzard, and fucking dumb gamers that only buy blizzard products. At least when they do they know that their servers won't get turned off a year in the future...

Fuck. I miss skill-based acrobatic arena shooters. Not this cartoony hero-based goofy shit. I fucking love Lawbreakers, this breaks my heart. Just one more nail in the coffin of gaming culture for me.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 13, 2018, 19:57 Mordecai Walfish

Sepharo wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 19:41:
Osc8r wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 18:41:
Radical heights felt like an unfinished indie game done by a couple of mates in a basement.

Lawbreakers failed because it was generic, poorly marketed, overpriced, and had to compete with Overwatch.

If they made lawbreakers into a BR game that was F2P they would have found success.

The main difficulty with the current "BR genre" is stable server performance over 100 players. This was difficult even for Epic.
BossKey couldn't simply just turn Lawbreakers into a BR.

Performance is what makes or breaks these clones for the most part and you can definitely see the drastic drop from Fortnite, PUBG which is shakier, and then everything else which are mostly abysmal.

It wouldn't be *that* hard, given that Lawbreakers was made with Unreal Engine 4, which is quite mature at providing battle royale experiences with 100 players in it's current state. Given cliffy b's past with Epic, I see no reason why he could not have leveraged this easily if that was the direction they decided to go. Even small dev teams are getting results quite easily with UE4 when making battle royale prototypes/alphas (realm royale, for example)

"What do I want? I don't really know. Most of the time I ignore my quest and walk into the homes of others, riffling through people's shelves... oooh, like those over there!"

18. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 19:41 Sepharo

Osc8r wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 18:41:
Radical heights felt like an unfinished indie game done by a couple of mates in a basement.

Lawbreakers failed because it was generic, poorly marketed, overpriced, and had to compete with Overwatch.

If they made lawbreakers into a BR game that was F2P they would have found success.

The main difficulty with the current "BR genre" is stable server performance over 100 players. This was difficult even for Epic.
BossKey couldn't simply just turn Lawbreakers into a BR.

Performance is what makes or breaks these clones for the most part and you can definitely see the drastic drop from Fortnite, PUBG which is shakier, and then everything else which are mostly abysmal.

17. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 18:41 Osc8r

16. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 18:06 Slashman

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 17:49:

Good point, hard to see in the future but there were examples of this from quake 3 arena "last man standing" mods back in the day. I remember playing something similar to a battle royale back in Quake 2.

Obviously this is early 2000 and it took till ~2016ish with PUBG and The Culling to really catapult this genre.
The Culling? The Culling never really started. And now its dead. Stupid devs again. The players told them what they want, but they ignored them.

I think players underestimate how difficult it is for developers to change direction and alter all their future plans regardless of the wants of the majority of players. Not getting it right the first time is a near-certain death-knell.

That's not really anyone's fault. Hindsight is 20-20 afterall. This is the risk of trying to make a multiplayer only game.

15. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 17:49 Muscular Beaver

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

14. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 15:48 Tipsy McStagger

13. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 15:20 xXStellarDadXx

I actually enjoy playing Radical Heights..still play it and still hoping someone buys the damn game to finish it...  

12. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 14:01 RedEye9

Slick wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 13:41:
Just cause they fucked up their launch, doesn't mean it's impossible to come back. If someone like Tencent bought them out, they could have 10 million players by this time next year. Doubtful anything like that will ever happen, but the fact is that the game itself is good, it stands on its own. That's all you really need.
Well that, and servers that aren't shut down.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

11. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 13:41 Slick

Just cause they fucked up their launch, doesn't mean it's impossible to come back. If someone like Tencent bought them out, they could have 10 million players by this time next year. Doubtful anything like that will ever happen, but the fact is that the game itself is good, it stands on its own. That's all you really need.  

10. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 13:36 Sepharo

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 13:13:
Blizzard games can't be put into the same category as Lawbreakers type games.

There's crazy fanboy syndrome and crazy amounts of money to funnel.

I never played Lawbreakers but I feel bad for CliffyB.. dude just was so out of touch of what the game market is like. He would have been much better off making a battle royale clone from the start i think because he had the talent to make it pretty good.

9. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 13:34 chickenboo

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 13:13:
I never played Lawbreakers but I feel bad for CliffyB.. dude just was so out of touch of what the game market is like. He would have been much better off making a battle royale clone from the start i think because he had the talent to make it pretty good.

I never played either but it sounds like it was a victim of poor timing. Overwatch came out what, like 1-2 weeks later, and stole its thunder, and then battle royale games experienced a sudden surge in popularity, which probably drew even more players from Lawbreakers. It also doesn't help that places like Reddit have people making posts bashing the player counts which suggests to everyone "don't play this game" - essentially vindictive Schadenfreude.

I jumped on MidAir when it was released about a month ago, and just this week in the most recent patch the devs announced they cannot afford to continue supporting and developing the game and are seeking volunteers to take over (with a skeleton dev crew). I bought the $20 starter pack too I enjoyed the game so much, but there just isn't enough interest from people from niche games like this. Maybe lawbreakers is too niche as well. I still play Day Of Defeat 1.6 (released 2001?) from time to time and it has similar player numbers as MidAir which came out only a month ago...

8. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 13:13 Tipsy McStagger

Blizzard games can't be put into the same category as Lawbreakers type games.

There's crazy fanboy syndrome and crazy amounts of money to funnel.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo