Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Wait, they're making a Live-Action "Dumbo?" I guess this could work as a modern story with our heightened concerns about exploitation of circus animals and such. I just don't know if I'll be there, as I can't stand most depictions of animal cruelty. I haven't watched the original animated Dumbo since childhood because I was traumatized by how sad it was (it's so long ago I barely remember what was upsetting about it). And it's not like Tim Burton likes to wallow in darkness or anything, so, yeah, this one will be a tough sell for me.

Sad Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Hanger.
Up Left Out.
Links: This Interactive Map Of The Ancient Earth Is The Best Thing Online This Week.
Hideo Kojima Says New Experimental Video Game Will Consist Entirely Of 2-Hour-Long Cutscene.
Stories: World Cup 2026: United States, Canada and Mexico Win FIFA Vote.
As city sleeps, star raccoon reaches roof of St. Paul skyscraper.
Measure splitting California into three makes it to ballot.
Science: Study: Honeybees Understand Concept of Zero. Thanks Slashdot.
Idaho child diagnosed with plague; only fifth human case in state's history.
Media: Mind if I play?
Making an Epic Star Wars Toy Box - The Sandcrawler. Thanks Hypothermia.
We No Speak Americano.... fight!
Follow-up: Dancing FBI agent who dropped gun during backflip charged in shooting. Thanks RedEye9.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Sunny Street.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2018, 03:56 Armengar

this is why people moan about shitty news, report on fans that might be riddled with spyware then

"None of the Singapore fans have yet been forensically examined by security experts, but they could be loaded with all manner of technology for scouring hard drives and surroundings for data."

so basically it is a crappy opinion job.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2018, 08:13 Mr. Tact

Yeah, FIFA is worried about it too. With only two games they are concerned about an increase in mutual draws -- ie... in their second games two teams playing each other could know if they draw, they both advance. This already happens sometimes when the teams play three games. They haven't set anything in stone yet, but are considering settling groups ties with shoot outs.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: 2026 World Cup Jun 14, 2018, 04:24 1badmf

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 23:46:
1badmf wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 23:31:
i would hope canadia and mejico get bids too since they're expanding the field from 64 to 80 teams anyway.
They are expanding the field in 2026, but it is from 32 to 48. The current plan is to have 16 three team groups, with each team only playing two games in the group round -- instead of the normal three. Two teams advance to a 32 team knockout round.

wasn't aware of the revised group stage. not a fan of only two games. too much random shit can go wrong in just two games. should keep it four team groups. 5 isn't workable and 6 is too many for group stage.

14. Re: 2026 World Cup Jun 13, 2018, 23:46 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 23:31:
i would hope canadia and mejico get bids too since they're expanding the field from 64 to 80 teams anyway.
They are expanding the field in 2026, but it is from 32 to 48. The current plan is to have 16 three team groups, with each team only playing two games in the group round -- instead of the normal three. Two teams advance to a 32 team knockout round.

13. Re: 2026 World Cup Jun 13, 2018, 23:31 1badmf

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 17:14:
So, do all three get automatic entries as host countries?

Edit:
Will the United States, Mexico and Canada all get automatic bids?

The World Cup host usually receives automatic entry into the tournament, but FIFA has yet to announce whether it will extend this pass to all three host nations in 2026. FIFA said in May 2017 that the question will be answered by the FIFA Council at a later date, and no decision was made on Wednesday.

U.S. will certainly get an automatic bid since 60 of the 80 games are being played here. i would hope canadia and mejico get bids too since they're expanding the field from 64 to 80 teams anyway.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2018, 23:29 1badmf

Jivaro wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 21:38:
The attempt to divide the state is on the ballot much more often then people think. It feels like every state election has some version of this....

yeah same dude tried it before. it's not gonna happen, just another right wing screw-job attempt to marginalize the democrats while giving the rural right-leaning parts of the state two more states and 90% of the land. pretty transparent act of greed if you ask me.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2018, 23:25 WarPig

I haven't watched the original animated Dumbo since childhood because I was traumatized by how sad it was (it's so long ago I barely remember what was upsetting about it).

I know exactly the scene that you've forgot (or suppressed), it's when Dumbo visits his Mother who's chained up in jail and it's an absolute killer.

There's also a scene or two that are considered very racist with some crows that I'm sure has been edited out by now.

GO SEAHAWKS!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2018, 21:38 Jivaro

The attempt to divide the state is on the ballot much more often then people think. It feels like every state election has some version of this....

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2018, 18:53 Cutter

DangerDog wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 18:19:
If that California thing happens I'm packing up an moving to Otisburg

See if you can get that on the ballot. I'm sure people would vote to rename a town to that.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2018, 18:37 Beamer

DangerDog wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 18:19:

I had to look that up, and then I felt shame. Then I wasn't sure if I should feel shame. I'm still not sure. But probably.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2018, 18:19 DangerDog

6. Re: 2026 World Cup Jun 13, 2018, 17:14 Mr. Tact

So, do all three get automatic entries as host countries?

Edit:
Will the United States, Mexico and Canada all get automatic bids?

The World Cup host usually receives automatic entry into the tournament, but FIFA has yet to announce whether it will extend this pass to all three host nations in 2026. FIFA said in May 2017 that the question will be answered by the FIFA Council at a later date, and no decision was made on Wednesday.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2018, 18:49.

5. Re: California split... Jun 13, 2018, 17:13 Mr. Tact

I'd like to hear fact based arguments from both sides. I personally don't care one way or the other currently. And even in the unlikely event Congress were to act on such a request from California, I suspect the details would take decades to settle. In other words, I don't expect to see it happening in my lifetime.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2018, 12:36 Hoop

So I took advantage of the free release of quake champions to give it a look, within two hours I had paid & pulled down the full pre-release version.
Old school gamers unimpressed by the trailer & gameplay footage should know it's a wonderfull refining of an old favourite.
I've had a blast.
Now can we get a server in either Auckland or Wellington?
Sydney's just too far away.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2018, 16:54.

Um .. Behind you...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2018, 12:05 Cutter

Yeah, I don't think anyone would want a live action Dumbo these days. Just leave the animals alone already. In other weird film news...

Jordan Peele Reportedly Wants To Reboot Gargoyles, and he wants it to be live-action to boot. Huh, I always liked the show but I don't know how that would turn out.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2018, 11:09 Beamer

They're making live action EVERYTHING these days.

Hell, another live action Jungle Book is about to come out, from an entirely different studio...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2018, 10:59 RedEye9

All for the cost of an SoB (small of back) holster <$50.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2018, 11:25.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo