Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Overhauled Steam Chat Open Beta

Valve announces plans to take a big steaming chat all over the internet with a redesign of Steam Chat. Changes include a customizable friends list, group chats, rebuilt voice chat, invisible mode, and more. Those interested in trying this can head over to this page to learn how to join the open beta right now. Here's word:

Today we’ve made available an open beta for a completely overhauled set of Steam Chat features. The all-new friends list and chat system makes it easier to group up with the people you chat and play games with.

Friends List updates
The friends list now has a customizable favorites section at the top, for quick access to the people, groups, and chats you care about most. You’ll also see in-game friends at the top of your list, grouped together by game or even by party, making it easier to join in, or just to see which games are popular among friends.

Group chats
The friends list now has a dedicated area for group chats, which can range from casual chats with a couple of friends to larger communities. Starting a group chat is as simple as dragging an additional friend onto a chat window. You can also save your group chats with a name and avatar, making it easier to come back to them later to pick up the conversation or to play games with those same friends.

Within a group chat you have the option to add additional text channels, voice channels, member permissions. Plus, all chats now display images, videos, tweets, and links inline in a rich, beautiful way.

Voice chat
The entire voice chat system has been rebuilt, to ensure a more seamless experience when playing games on Steam with friends. It’s now one click to start a voice chat and organize your group pre-game.

Plus..
This update includes many more items of note, including: invisible mode, so you can appear offline, but still access your friends list and chats. And adding friends is easier now with custom friend-request links you can email or send outside of Steam.

Join the beta
If you’d like to participate in the beta and give us your feedback you can check out the announcement page to see how.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Overhauled Steam Chat Open Beta Jun 13, 2018, 10:09 Turd Ferguson

The lay out is meh and more meh, why does everything have to be so GODDAMN LARGE!

Not a fan, would be much happier if all the "new" stuff was just under the hood, and UI stayed minimal as it was before.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Overhauled Steam Chat Open Beta Jun 12, 2018, 19:42 Sepharo

Invisible mode will be nice as long as it works properly.
Sometimes I don't want my coworkers, who are also gaming friends, to know that I'm still playing games at 5am when I have a meeting at 10am.

I don't think any of them do that, spy on me and judge, but it'd be nice to know that I can hide if needed (and still communicate with non-coworkers if desired).

4. Re: Overhauled Steam Chat Open Beta Jun 12, 2018, 17:50 Luke

Zzzzzzzzz  

3. Re: Overhauled Steam Chat Open Beta Jun 12, 2018, 16:24 Mr. Tact

Steam has chat? Who knew?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Overhauled Steam Chat Open Beta Jun 12, 2018, 16:11 HorrorScope

Steam did miss the boat, like MS missing a Digital Marketplace early on. Steam could catch up though or just buy Discord.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2018, 22:39.

1. Re: Overhauled Steam Chat Open Beta Jun 12, 2018, 15:56 Pallais

It's interesting to see Steam move into the Discord era for chat. I can't remember the last time I used it for in-game chat. :/  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo