Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 6, 2018, 04:36 Numinar

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 20:12:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 14:49:
I really like my Hyper X headset. Good sound, and a good design with a removable mike and 3.5mm jack. And it wasn't that expensive.

Ditto. I have tried many "gaming" headsets and they always sucked compared to my Sennheiser and AKG reference baselines. The Hyper X were the very first I tried that didn't sound as if they were tuned to solely bass frequencies and didn't feel like I had strapped 50lbs of weight to my head (looking at you here Corsair and Logitech).

The mic on my set is a little quiet but using software as a mixer allowed me to make it a "hot" mic which fixed the problem.

I fixed that mic issue with some kind of weird pre-amp equalizer. Equalizer APO Configurator with the PEACE GUI. It took a lot of threads about the issue to find the solution, certainly no solution from HyperX. Maybe if I wrote them directly I could swap the USB dongle thing but I imagine there is no point given the ubiquity of the issue.

The headset itself is amazing. Much better even than my old Sennies that died from having the cords run over a few too many times. Especially for the price, but the quality of the USB external soundcard thing obviously has problems (The mic issue doesn't exist when you use the jack on a PS4 controller).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 6, 2018, 03:43 bigspender

pffft 28 cores... I'll wait for 32 thanks.  

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 23:42 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 22:19:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 20:15:
We're already at the point where hertz rate and core count are functionally pointless given the lack of true multithreading in 90% of all applications. I can understand simple applications not needing multithreading and I understand that multithreading without data collision/corruption/getting out of sync is hard. Look at gaming benchmarks on new processors. They are nearly exclusively focused on single core IPC. Until multhreading becomes standard practice in all but the most simple applications, increasing the core count means exactly fuckall. I do understand that there are some applications which take full advantage of multithreading but those are very niche compared to the sea of non-legacy applications that do not.

Hell, even OSes are just getting to the point where multithreading is being used to an advantageous purpose.

Hmm, most modern game engines utilize multiple cores, even if they don't do so completely efficiently. Although I don't know how they would scale up to 28 cores, things seem to be moving in the right direction. I guess it depends on what you mean by "true multithreading."
psssshaw
AMD Ryzen 2nd Gen Threadripper 32 Cores Confirmed
20 min mark https://youtu.be/mhEu3RiCLpg

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 22:19 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 20:15:
We're already at the point where hertz rate and core count are functionally pointless given the lack of true multithreading in 90% of all applications. I can understand simple applications not needing multithreading and I understand that multithreading without data collision/corruption/getting out of sync is hard. Look at gaming benchmarks on new processors. They are nearly exclusively focused on single core IPC. Until multhreading becomes standard practice in all but the most simple applications, increasing the core count means exactly fuckall. I do understand that there are some applications which take full advantage of multithreading but those are very niche compared to the sea of non-legacy applications that do not.

Hell, even OSes are just getting to the point where multithreading is being used to an advantageous purpose.

Hmm, most modern game engines utilize multiple cores, even if they don't do so completely efficiently. Although I don't know how they would scale up to 28 cores, things seem to be moving in the right direction. I guess it depends on what you mean by "true multithreading."

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 20:15 Burrito of Peace

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 20:12 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 14:49:
I really like my Hyper X headset. Good sound, and a good design with a removable mike and 3.5mm jack. And it wasn't that expensive.

Ditto. I have tried many "gaming" headsets and they always sucked compared to my Sennheiser and AKG reference baselines. The Hyper X were the very first I tried that didn't sound as if they were tuned to solely bass frequencies and didn't feel like I had strapped 50lbs of weight to my head (looking at you here Corsair and Logitech).

The mic on my set is a little quiet but using software as a mixer allowed me to make it a "hot" mic which fixed the problem.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 15:17 Riahderymnmaddog

Who cares AMD's new Dreadripper CPU can idle 200% faster.  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 14:49 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Intel’s 28-Core 5 GHz CPU- Coming in Q4 Jun 5, 2018, 14:12 Simon Says

*Intel’s 28-Core 5 GHz CPU- Coming in Q4*

Correct headline is: 28-core 5ghz OVERCLOCK demonstrated @ computex.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 13:06 Bumpy

Do not want. For several games, I'd prefer to have a 10GHz cpu.  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 13:04 RedEye9

Frijoles wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 13:00:
And no word on whether it fixes Spectre/Meltdown. Starting to think it's unfixable in hardware.
Hence why you need all the cores. At least 25% are needed to offset the loss due to security flaw fixes. {wink}

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 13:00 Frijoles

And no word on whether it fixes Spectre/Meltdown. Starting to think it's unfixable in hardware.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 11:47 chickenboo

I wonder how Intel feels about this push to greater core counts. On the one hand, they let AMD do the leg work (and capital raising efforts) determining if a high-core Threadripper CPU would be popular on the market. Turned out the answer was yes, so Intel got to work making their own Threadripper-style CPU after they got confirmation this is something in demand. On the other hand, they probably were fine with the status quo of just selling more CPUs to companies and servers with power-hungry tasks, for use in multi-cpu motherboards. Either way, the rich are going to get richer.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 10:41 MeanJim

Gotta love the name: Core i7-8086K.  

MeanJim on Steam

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 10:04 RedEye9

Guaranteed to crush Crysis.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >