Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week

Electronic Arts offers an EA PLAY teaser trailer which offers about two seconds of footage from Anthem, BioWare's upcoming action/RPG. They say that on June 9th they will release a full trailer for the game, offering a detailed look at gameplay. They also share five tidbits about the game in the meantime:

Mark your calendar. On June 9, 2018 at 11 a.m. PDT, EA PLAY returns with a detailed look at the gameplay of BioWare’s™ upcoming Action-RPG, Anthem™. Here are five things we can share ahead of the stream.

1. A New Trailer
That’s right, we’re delivering an unseen trailer that delves into the dangerous world of Anthem. You’ll get a glimpse into the story, characters, and monsters that bring the game to life.

2. More Gameplay
Last year we showed off some of the core gameplay that you can expect from Anthem – flying, fighting, and of course, collecting loot. And this year we’re happy to show off some more. Tune in to see it all.

3. Combat Showcase
One thing we’ll be showing in-depth this time around is combat. The power of the Javelin exosuit will be on full display as players take on the most ferocious enemies seen yet.

4. Developer Insights
The dev team at BioWare has been hard at work, and now they’re ready to show it off in-person. Hear some of the guiding principles that have shaped the development of Anthem as BioWare General Manager Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mark Darrah, and Lead Writer Cathleen Rootsaert take the stage.

5. A Look Behind The Curtain
Along with hearing from the developers themselves, we’ll be showing off some of the concept and production art of Anthem. You’ll get a chance to see the craftsmanship that has built this incredible world from the ground up.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 4, 2018, 12:38 Nullity

I'm in a weird state of cognitive dissonance where I'm interested in this game, I think looks good (visuals/gameplay), and I really want to play it, yet I know that EA ruins everything it touches.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 3, 2018, 22:25 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 3, 2018, 10:10:
I don't get the bl2 loot complaints. Legendary named stuff fell very rarely, but everything else was great, I thought. it only felt grindy if you tried to farm legendaries.

No, it wasn't. Not compared to BL1. In BL1, guns could drop with wacky, crazy modifiers all the time, absolutely leading to one-of-a-kind guns. In BL1, I got lucky, and a x3 Acid gun dropped at like level 6. I had an absolute blast melting shit for the next 20 levels. And you'd see hundreds, if not thousands of different varieties before similarities started showing up.

In BL2, there were basically only ~ 30 guns, and they just dropped with slightly different stats all the time. And the only really unique / fun ones were the legendary ones, which never fucking dropped. The fact that they had to put in a loot box chest so players could get level-appropriate weapons shows you just how terrible the drop rates were.

BL2's loot system is fucking garbage. BL is only fun when you're mowing down hordes of guys left and right. When your weapons are so shit that every single mook takes 20 seconds to kill, the entire game turns into a giant, slow grind. Guess which of the two games suffered from that?

22. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 3, 2018, 22:21 Creston

TheBigVlad wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 10:50:
Creston wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 09:39:
Out of curiosity, what did you find bad about SW2's loot? (I haven't played it, just asking.)

It was filled with insubstantial % modifiers to boring stats. Like, upgrades that you stick into your weapon to give it +6% reload speed and +10% damage, stuff like that. There was nothing interesting there that I ever came across. What makes it even worse is the interface. It is a massive chore trying to find the best upgrade to put in your weapon since you can wind up with hundreds of upgrades and there are very limited options for sorting and filtering. A consistent naming convention would help (like 'flaming rune of speed' you can guess might upgrade flaming damage and speed) but no, the names are seemingly random. You can have two upgrades that modify the same stats by the same amount and be named completely differently. This all results in a lot of unnecessary clicking (no hovering over an item to see what it does) and way too much time spent in the inventory/upgrades screen. And you can't really ignore loot entirely since they've added elemental damage along with resistance/immunity on enemies, so elemental upgrades are a must. A lot of this would have been forgivable 10 years ago before Borderlands, but it's not like loot shooters are a new thing anymore. The stuff they screwed up on was pretty basic stuff.

Blegh, that sounds terrible... Thanks for explaining.

21. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 3, 2018, 10:10 Beamer

I don't get the bl2 loot complaints. Legendary named stuff fell very rarely, but everything else was great, I thought. it only felt grindy if you tried to farm legendaries.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 3, 2018, 08:41 eRe4s3r

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 12:32:
As long as the loot is meaningful and you have a nice, constant progression, I quite enjoy the addition of loot.

I enjoy progression, just in other areas. Mostly exploration (checking off new levels or locations), character enhancement (making it to X level and getting that sneak boost), etc. Finding new guns and endlessly comparing said guns to other guns to figure out which is better just slogs a game down for me. ESPECIALLY if there's a carry limit or whatever. Basically the more Diablo-like something is the more I hate it. Borderlands was Diablo as a shooter.

I can deal with loot much more in something like a Fallout game.

The carry limit was the first thing I modded in Borderlands, impossible to play without

19. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 12:32 StingingVelvet

As long as the loot is meaningful and you have a nice, constant progression, I quite enjoy the addition of loot.

I enjoy progression, just in other areas. Mostly exploration (checking off new levels or locations), character enhancement (making it to X level and getting that sneak boost), etc. Finding new guns and endlessly comparing said guns to other guns to figure out which is better just slogs a game down for me. ESPECIALLY if there's a carry limit or whatever. Basically the more Diablo-like something is the more I hate it. Borderlands was Diablo as a shooter.

I can deal with loot much more in something like a Fallout game.

18. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 12:03 El Pit

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 04:11:
AND OF COURSE COLLECTING LOOT!!!

I get that I'm in the minority of gaming humanity obviously.

Yes, you are. Hunters and collectors would like a word with you. This loot stuff is appealing to human instincts that is still rooted deep in our mind.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

17. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 10:50 TheBigVlad

Out of curiosity, what did you find bad about SW2's loot? (I haven't played it, just asking.)

It was filled with insubstantial % modifiers to boring stats. Like, upgrades that you stick into your weapon to give it +6% reload speed and +10% damage, stuff like that. There was nothing interesting there that I ever came across. What makes it even worse is the interface. It is a massive chore trying to find the best upgrade to put in your weapon since you can wind up with hundreds of upgrades and there are very limited options for sorting and filtering. A consistent naming convention would help (like 'flaming rune of speed' you can guess might upgrade flaming damage and speed) but no, the names are seemingly random. You can have two upgrades that modify the same stats by the same amount and be named completely differently. This all results in a lot of unnecessary clicking (no hovering over an item to see what it does) and way too much time spent in the inventory/upgrades screen. And you can't really ignore loot entirely since they've added elemental damage along with resistance/immunity on enemies, so elemental upgrades are a must. A lot of this would have been forgivable 10 years ago before Borderlands, but it's not like loot shooters are a new thing anymore. The stuff they screwed up on was pretty basic stuff.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2018, 11:22.

16. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 10:33 Ozmodan

Cutter wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 21:49:
Isn't this just BiowarEA's Destiny?

Yep

15. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 09:39 Creston

I get that I'm in the minority of gaming humanity obviously, but nothing turns me OFF more than that shit. Borderlands sounded like the best thing ever until I discovered how loot focused it was. Blah.

As long as the loot is meaningful and you have a nice, constant progression, I quite enjoy the addition of loot. Borderlands, I think, did it pretty well. Borderlands 2, on the other hand, was a fucking retarded shitshow when it came to loot. Fuck MMO grinding. And then they decided to double down on even shittier loot for that god-fucking-awful prequel game.

TheBigVlad wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 09:10:
For me, the addition of loot mechanics to shooters is one trend I'm happy about. I like it and want to see more of them (just like I want more zombie games), but it needs to be done carefully or it can ruin a game. I just finished Shadow Warrior 2, which had the worst implementation of loot in a FPS I've ever seen. Don't do it like that.

14. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 09:10 TheBigVlad

I get that I'm in the minority of gaming humanity obviously, but nothing turns me OFF more than that shit. Borderlands sounded like the best thing ever until I discovered how loot focused it was. Blah.

For me, the addition of loot mechanics to shooters is one trend I'm happy about. I like it and want to see more of them (just like I want more zombie games), but it needs to be done carefully or it can ruin a game. I just finished Shadow Warrior 2, which had the worst implementation of loot in a FPS I've ever seen. Don't do it like that.

As for this game, I don't know anything about it and haven't played Destiny (I own Destiny 2 by accident but haven't played it) but it's apparently a loot-shooter by BioWare so my interest is piqued. Yea they messed up with ME:A but they obviously have talent so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to deliver. I hope they don't focus too much on narrative but on the other hand, I can forgive/ignore shitty writing if the gameplay itself is good. We'll see.

13. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 08:42 Alamar

'Mark your calendar'!!!

Uh... No... If I happen to see it on that day, most likely due to Blues, great... But I very rarely get super hyped over unreleased shit any more... Though I was eagerly awaiting the latest PoE league, and am moments away from getting back to it for another long ass game day ; )

12. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 08:33 jdreyer

What did the loot system take away from BL2?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

11. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 04:11 StingingVelvet

10. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 02:11 Slick

I think it's obvious that at least for right now, they aren't going to dare adding lootboxes or any kind of actual or perceived P2W elements. It's all about cosmetics. Fortnite makes 300m a month with cosmetics only, there is real data to show that this works, they're just adapting to it.

The only downside is that people will get angry about "wacky" cosmetics ie. the whole BF V debacle. Personally, I'll take no season pass, no split community, and continuing support in exchange for essentially "hats". But some people would rather get mad at goofy hats instead... can't see the big picture.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

9. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 02:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Borderlands/Destiny/The Division homage, with some Tribes-ish/Power Suit flavor... I'm still tentatively interested.

The Coop group got 100+ hours out of The Division, and this look like it at least has the potential to have some fun coop shooting going on.

EA seems to have maybe learned with BFV's announced mechanics to avoid gameplay changing lootboxes, maybe this game will come out and not be ruined? I'm sure there will be some cosmetic microtransactions in there somewhere, but maybe the game will succeed(in terms of fun/playability) in spite of those.

Coop fingers crossed.

8. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 01:55 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 00:33:
If it has strong SP content...

Thanks for the laugh!

I'm not sure where some of these crazy hopes and expectations are coming from but it should be obvious by now that Anthem is going to be a GaaS, the sole purpose of which is to hide a monetization scheme under the guise of a "game".

BTW, even IF they promise no loot boxes or something like that at E3 doesn't mean they won't add them in later for "season 2" due to "popular demand" (of course!).

I'm sure they have learned a lesson or two from the SWBF debacle so they will sugarcoat the release version as much as possible. Then when people are hooked on the sweet cane... *ZAPP*... the MTX and loot box monster is gonna strike thrice as hard.

Mark my words. Anyone who falls for this garbage is gonna get fucked... yes, gently with lube at first... but then a few months or a year into live service, lube is all of a sudden gonna go out of fashion.

I already feel sorry for the preordering dimwits who are -once again- going to fall for the pretty pics and fancy trailers hype.

7. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 00:45 Slick

It's funny if you swap "destiny clone" with "The Division clone" all of a sudden you have my attention. And they're all really Boarderlands-clones. Just with emergent multiplayer with more than your group of 4 at a time. Same shit though. Open world co-op loot shooter. Except this time in Frostbite and with jetpacks in what looks to be a beautiful world... that sounds good to me.  

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

6. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 00:33 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 00:11:
Bioware has literally put all their eggs in this one basket. If it flops, I think they're going to get the EA gentle touch bullet to the head.

We'll see. So far, all it looks like is just EA's "ME TOO!" version of Destiny.

If it has strong SP content I will give it a shot either way, a destiny clone sounds bad on the surface, but I didn't play Destiny because it got nothing to offer to me (enforced MP in a story driven campaign is what I hate the absolute most in games, it reminds me of old MMOs) while this might still have some hope.

If you can play it solo without ever seeing another human unless you "opt in" I am in. Aka, the Dark Souls principle Offline = no help = way more hardcore. It's the only way to play such a game, imo.

5. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Next Week Jun 2, 2018, 00:11 Creston

Bioware has literally put all their eggs in this one basket. If it flops, I think they're going to get the EA gentle touch bullet to the head.

We'll see. So far, all it looks like is just EA's "ME TOO!" version of Destiny.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo