Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month

Frontier Developments announces Chapter Two for Elite Dangerous: Beyond will launch on June 28th, adding new content to the space exploration and combat game. Word is: "Beyond, the third Elite Dangerous season will be free for all players, and will focus on community-requested enhancements to the overall player experience. Alongside those core foundational changes, new in-game content will progress the ever-expanding player-driven storyline and give pilots across the galaxy new tools to shape the ongoing narrative." A brief tease of what to expect is on display in this teaser trailer, and here are further details:
Frontier Developments is pleased to announce Chapter Two of the Beyond series of updates is right around the corner. In just under a month, you’ll be able to get your hands on the Alliance’s newest Chieftain variant: the Alliance Challenger. We’ve also got a selection of new wing missions, installation interactions, new settlements to explore and, to combat the ever-growing and ever-encroaching Thargoid threat, a cache of new Guardian weapons and technology from the Tech Brokers.

Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter Two will be available for free to Elite Dangerous players on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One starting June 28.

This is the first of the two smaller installments coming as part of the Elite Dangerous Beyond series of updates, with a larger one coming in Q4 of this year, bringing Squadrons and improvements to Mining and Exploration, and much more!

View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month
Jun 2, 2018, 18:32
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 2, 2018, 18:32
Jun 2, 2018, 18:32

jdreyer wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 15:04:
Kind of stopped playing NMS for the same reason: was a hassle to grind for money...
That wasn't a problem when I started playing NMS at the beginning of this year. It is currently a fairly minimal grind to get a farm set up which yields 10s of millions...
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jun 2, 2018, 16:22
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 2, 2018, 16:22
Jun 2, 2018, 16:22

Hmm, I might have to give ED another shot after almost 2 years of no play...but I have a horrible story why...

On a fresh restart I to wanted to get to Jacques station (this was right when it reappeared) and made a goal to get a the best exploration ship I can to get out there at a reasonable amount of time to do some trade, maybe even explore.

It too a few weekends but I got myself a kitted out ASP Explorer with about 27 lightyear range which I was a happy with. I had taken so long (meh, month is long enough, I have to work and have other games) so I take that with two rovers incase once breaks. I also have a repair unit for emergencies.

I didn't bother with the engineer stuff because I felt like I got sidetracked (do I do mining/pirate/smuggle), doing that took a while back then anyway. so I figured meh, just go.

So with all ready I set off for Jacques station and had my sirrus-xm on for the ride.

It was awesome. I saw nebula and landed and roved around a few rocky worlds. Took screen shots and had a blast.

...1 months later (using 2-4-6 hours a day every Saturday and odd evening) About 250 jumps away from Jacques, they roll out the update that included neutron stars and the ability to overload your drive and give you an extra boost doubling your jumps.

OH YEA!!!!!

so I start charting for neutron stars for my route and begin using the extra boost, all is well and soon enough after a few days I am about 160 lightyears away!!!.

It was a Saturday. Such a beautiful Saturday. I started playing and counting my jumps. Wahoo! Jacques here I come. I'm not the first but i'm definitely one of the early one. I probably even found stuff too!!

I get to my final neutron star, from here that it. It had already been 3 hours. So I felt like getting a celebratory dominos deep dish with a nice cool six pack. As per regulations during celebrations of this calibre.

I point the ship directly opposite at full throttle to the neutron star. Not going to be one of those fools you read saying they log out and get sucked in....no way. Not after all this...I log out and leave.

20 minutes later I crack open a beer and pizza in hand I log back in. Only to discover....my ship....why is it spinning, all the alarms are ringing. I have a 45 seconds until the canopy cracks and a spin I can't get out of! Im inside the vortex and in a spin I cant get out of!!!!

Dropping the pizza slice and downing the beer as I try to get the ship under control...the canopy cracks. OH NO!!!!

Stunned.....I lean back and see if I can finish the six pack before the life support kills my character.....

Yep. that was the last play I had.....

Jun 2, 2018, 15:23
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 2, 2018, 15:23
Jun 2, 2018, 15:23

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 14:11:
Nimh wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 13:22:
The game-play loops are so ridiculously broken that 'gold rushes' are often found and then later patched out. Recent example were skimmer missions. Basically you log in and log out repeatedly at a station taking 'kill the skimmers' missions are one specific location. After you've loaded up on them you take dumb fire missiles, fly to the spot, fire one missile from your space ship (no need to take a rover), and then return and turn in all your missions for credits. I think this one was in the earn 100 million per hour range.
Ah, that makes some sense. I certainly never participated in anything that profitable. Too bad, I might have played some more if I had. I just didn't feel like doing the grind for the Anaconda...

There are still a lot of activities in the game that yield a decent profit. Of course, since it has been possible to make 200 million (or even more) credits/hour from some activities in the past, that has become the new benchmark for "gold rush" but that's really more for the min/max crowd.

You can run regular passenger missions for millions of credits per hour (if you already own an Anaconda then we're talking 50-ish million/h) in many locations. No real exploits needed except playing the mission board (log out/log in to refresh the mission board until the ship is fully loaded with pax).

It is still (too?) easy to make lots of cash in the game. I actually stopped playing when I had made well over a billion from pax missions. Couldn't even be bothered to fly back home and buy that corvette that I had been grinding the credits for in the first place.

Well, one of these days I'll get back to it to check out the new stuff but I still need a break.

Jun 2, 2018, 15:04
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 2, 2018, 15:04
Jun 2, 2018, 15:04

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 14:11:
The game-play loops are so ridiculously broken that 'gold rushes' are often found and then later patched out. Recent example were skimmer missions. Basically you log in and log out repeatedly at a station taking 'kill the skimmers' missions are one specific location. After you've loaded up on them you take dumb fire missiles, fly to the spot, fire one missile from your space ship (no need to take a rover), and then return and turn in all your missions for credits. I think this one was in the earn 100 million per hour range.
Ah, that makes some sense. I certainly never participated in anything that profitable. Too bad, I might have played some more if I had. I just didn't feel like doing the grind for the Anaconda...

Kind of stopped playing NMS for the same reason: was a hassle to grind for money...
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 2, 2018, 14:11
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 2, 2018, 14:11
Jun 2, 2018, 14:11

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jun 2, 2018, 13:22
Nimh

Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 2, 2018, 13:22
Jun 2, 2018, 13:22
 Nimh

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 2, 2018, 08:08:
Okay, what is this "gold rush" you guys are talking about? Is it a specific event of some kind? Or just another way to talk about the trading stuff? I did the trading exotics thing, decked out a fighter and an explorer. Put a couple of hundred hours into the game -- but I haven't played in probably 1.5 - 2 years now...

Just a thoroughly broken game.

Jun 2, 2018, 11:18
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 2, 2018, 11:18
Jun 2, 2018, 11:18

DangerDog wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 13:59:
Bodolza wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 13:32:
If they'd just add the option to fast-travel to stations, it would eliminate a huge chuck of the boring grind. Take a lesson from TES.

lol, that's like saying if they only allowed you to fast travel between airports in a flight simulator it would eliminate a huge chunk of the boring grind.

That's what this game is, a simulator. A sandbox space simulator.

That "boring grind" of traveling between space stations is what it's all about, it's never going to be an episodic space shooter with cut scenes and a linear story.

Yea exactly. It's boring in the same way that flight sims or train sims or trucking sims are boring - in that there are always going to be significant chunks of time where there is nothing exciting going on. If that's not your thing, then that's totally cool, but there is absolutely a market for this type of product. The game is immersive as hell and while traveling/docking can get to be a bit of a chore, it only adds to the immersion.

Jun 2, 2018, 08:08
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 2, 2018, 08:08
Jun 2, 2018, 08:08

Okay, what is this "gold rush" you guys are talking about? Is it a specific event of some kind? Or just another way to talk about the trading stuff? I did the trading exotics thing, decked out a fighter and an explorer. Put a couple of hundred hours into the game -- but I haven't played in probably 1.5 - 2 years now...

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2018, 10:04.

Jun 2, 2018, 04:27
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 2, 2018, 04:27
Jun 2, 2018, 04:27

dont get me wrong. i have close to 7 weeks play time (2 more days). I did an anaconda grind the hard way. however, when I did the first major gold rush last year i couldnt believe how much of a mug i had been. after passenger refugee guttony later last year i got myself a corvette and a cutter. I play the game how I like now and have put on (in 6 months) more game time than I did in 2 years all because i dont have to worry about credits.

I mess about in open now too as i have billions in reserve. When a simple mistake can cost 42M in rebuy this would take the average person 1 or 2 hours to recover. madness.
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Jun 1, 2018, 18:44
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 18:44
Jun 1, 2018, 18:44

jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 16:00:
Fast travel would also eliminate piracy as an occupation.
But everyone I know who plays ED eliminates that by playing in Private, anyway.

Fuck the pirate scum, I'm not gonna be their content!

Jun 1, 2018, 17:49
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 17:49
Jun 1, 2018, 17:49

subx wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 12:05:
So they released the game and now there's an update, and I don't give them $27000? In fact they don't want anything?

Sounds like a scam to me.

They released *one* paid expansion a couple years back. Apparently, selling skins for your ships is a valid business model. They've put out at least one major content expansion for free, albeit on a slower process.

Jun 1, 2018, 17:48
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 17:48
Jun 1, 2018, 17:48

Armengar wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 15:51:
the game is fun if you managed to get a few billion from a gold rush. There is no way in hell i would grind credits. ED has mobile fremium game grind levels for credits.

Nah I have a couple asps and vultures I never made it up to the anaconda and I had a blast.

I spent like... one weekend doing Space Trucker while listening to podcasts and honestly I made enough money from my trade route (which you can look up, people build them all the time and there's apps out there to help) to buy the ships I wanted and have money left over to futz around.

Don't think of ED as Freespace or something like that. Think of it as American Truck Simulator: Space. With lasers.

Jun 1, 2018, 16:10
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 16:10
Jun 1, 2018, 16:10

Armengar wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 15:51:
the game is fun if you managed to get a few billion from a gold rush. There is no way in hell i would grind credits. ED has mobile fremium game grind levels for credits.

I feel the opposite, the fun part is starting out and being a little fish in an ocean filled with bigger fish wanting to eat you. The addiction of wanting to earn enough credits to buy a better ship, so that you can earn more credits to buy a better ship. Once you reach the point of equal or greater footing among stronger enemies it loses it's luster.

Jun 1, 2018, 16:00
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 16:00
Jun 1, 2018, 16:00

DangerDog wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 13:59:
If they'd just add the option to fast-travel to stations, it would eliminate a huge chuck of the boring grind. Take a lesson from TES.

lol, that's like saying if they only allowed you to fast travel between airports in a flight simulator it would eliminate a huge chunk of the boring grind.

That "boring grind" of traveling between space stations is what it's all about, it's never going to be an episodic space shooter with cut scenes and a linear story.

Fast travel would also eliminate piracy as an occupation.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 1, 2018, 15:51
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 15:51
Jun 1, 2018, 15:51

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Jun 1, 2018, 15:12
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 15:12
Jun 1, 2018, 15:12

And next all racing games need fast travel because they are boring as fuck and I don't get them.

Jun 1, 2018, 13:59
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 13:59
Jun 1, 2018, 13:59

Jun 1, 2018, 13:32
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 13:32
Jun 1, 2018, 13:32

Jun 1, 2018, 13:18
Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 13:18
Jun 1, 2018, 13:18

Cutter wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 13:04:
ED is a game? I thought it was a Boredom Simulator. Games are supposed to be entertaining.
ED is not only boring, it's also embarrassing. That's why we invented v1@gra.

Jun 1, 2018, 13:04
Cutter

Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 13:04
Jun 1, 2018, 13:04
 Cutter

ED is a game? I thought it was a Boredom Simulator. Games are supposed to be entertaining.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older