Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2018, 03:14 VaranDragon

Analog > Digital. Now and forever.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2018, 22:58 MeanJim

Ozmodan wrote on May 31, 2018, 12:20:
I have joined a group to ban the model 3. The UI is worse than texting and will kill people. Tesla and Elon really goofed on this car.

Doesn't the Model 3 have auto brakes that will stop the car to prevent an accident?

I haven't seen the Model 3's UI, but a lot of new cars are coming out with these shitty touch screens that control everything, requiring you to navigate several menus to do a simple thing. I'm going to keep my current car as long as possible. I can adjust the A/C, or radio without looking because I know where the knobs are and I can do it by feel without taking my eyes off the road.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2018, 16:50 Beamer

There's 0 chance it's worse. It's extremely likely to be as bad.

But given how insanely bad texting is, what car makers are doing (and Tesla is doing in the extreme) seems insanely bad. Form over function, form over safety. Many consumers seem to want to buy screens, too, even though they're infinitely less convenient.

edit - to clarify, I mean less bad on an individual basis. You're much more likely to get in an accident texting than you are turning down the A/C on one of these. At the same time, only a fraction of people text, but everyone needs to turn down the A/C, so if all cars have this, I can see it leading to more accidents overall, but a lower chance of an accident for each individual.

This comment was edited on May 31, 2018, 17:06.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2018, 16:31 Mr. Tact

zip xavier wrote on May 31, 2018, 12:59:
Worse than texting? That's just ridiculous. A few taps to turn on the AC isn't gonna kill anyone.
Remember people have been sufficient distracted by adjusting their music selection to cause accidents. It doesn't necessarily take a lot. From what I've seen and read it seems like it is poor design at best. Only time will tell if it is something worse...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2018, 13:24 Bumpy

My mother owns a Model 3. That huge screen is indeed definitely distracting more so than a regular car. Couple weeks and one adapts to it however.

What did shock me is the total lack of any heads up display to remove a large part of the center screen distraction.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2018, 12:59 zip xavier

Worse than texting? That's just ridiculous. A few taps to turn on the AC isn't gonna kill anyone. 500,000 pre-orders says they made the opposite of a goof.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2018, 12:20 Ozmodan

I have joined a group to ban the model 3. The UI is worse than texting and will kill people. Tesla and Elon really goofed on this car.  

1. ntel at last announces Optane memory: DDR4 that never forgets. May 31, 2018, 12:13 Burrito of Peace

This is problematic from a security standpoint. Unless there is a mechanism in place to fully clear that memory (like full, 7 pass disk wipes), it cannot be used in places that require secure storage ala HIPA and FERPA among others.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >