Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

etc., etc.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: etc., etc. May 31, 2018, 12:59 Orogogus

Dev wrote on May 31, 2018, 09:36:
Also means that valve isn't bothering to keep an eye on devs or signups unless something like this happens. Like it should be difficult for previously banned devs to rejoin steam.

Valve, I know no one wants to do this boring work and wheel their desks over to applications, but protip, you can hire contracters who could screen for you.

Eh... I feel like with $1,000 I could beat any screening procedure that Valve could feasibly set up, especially if it had to accept developers outside the US.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: etc., etc. May 31, 2018, 09:36 Dev

“This developer and publisher is, in fact, a person calling himself Ata Berdiyev, who had previously been removed last fall when he was operating as ‘(bc)Interactive’ and ‘Elusive Team,'” Valve said. “Ata is a troll, with a history of customer abuse, publishing copyrighted material, and user review manipulation. His subsequent return under new business names was a fact that came to light as we investigated the controversy around his upcoming title. We are not going to do business with people who act like this towards our customers or Valve.”

Also means that valve isn't bothering to keep an eye on devs or signups unless something like this happens. Like it should be difficult for previously banned devs to rejoin steam.

Valve, I know no one wants to do this boring work and wheel their desks over to applications, but protip, you can hire contracters who could screen for you.

Cutter wrote on May 30, 2018, 10:07:
However they're doing this because they're caving to external political pressure and that definitely angers me given what a hypocritical stance it is. How many billions has Valve made off of violent games, still does, and always will? If there had been no school shootings, or none in recent memory, they'd have zero problem with allowing this to be sold. That's the sort of hypocrisy that really grinds my gears.
But, I suspect it's laziness rather than hypocrisy. Like they literally didn't notice this previously banned dev coming back in, or know anything about the game. No one is checking, or they are asleep at their wheeled desks.

10. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2018, 10:21 Darks

Ventura wrote on May 30, 2018, 08:18:
Most of you guys have been gamers for a good long time, right? My first post here on Bluesnews was back in 2003 and I know I've seen a lot of you around all these years.

I'll be the first to say Active Shooter is in poor taste (and as such, do understand why it got removed), but as gamers, do any of you seriously believe playing a game where you shoot kids could possibly translate to you even entertaining the notion of actually doing it in the real world?

No, of course not. You've gotta have it in you.

The problem with a game like this, is that it could inspire some kids to actually use this as a training tool to do it in real life. This game is in bad taste and it should have been removed.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

9. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2018, 10:07 Cutter

Prez wrote on May 30, 2018, 09:36:
YourNick wrote on May 30, 2018, 09:09:
Interesting that they don't seem to touch on the subject of school shooting games at all, rather just focus on the developer's history.

It's actually pretty clever. They quell the outrage from the public by the game's removal while avoiding angering the anti-censorship crowd by using the developer's history as the grounds for removal.

No. The dev is - by all accounts - some asset flipping douchebag who does anything and everything to make money. I have zero problem with Valve banning someone like that. However they're doing this because they're caving to external political pressure and that definitely angers me given what a hypocritical stance it is. How many billions has Valve made off of violent games, still does, and always will? If there had been no school shootings, or none in recent memory, they'd have zero problem with allowing this to be sold. That's the sort of hypocrisy that really grinds my gears.

8. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2018, 09:36 Prez

YourNick wrote on May 30, 2018, 09:09:
Interesting that they don't seem to touch on the subject of school shooting games at all, rather just focus on the developer's history.

It's actually pretty clever. They quell the outrage from the public by the game's removal while avoiding angering the anti-censorship crowd by using the developer's history as the grounds for removal.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2018, 09:09 YourNick

6. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2018, 08:18 Ventura

Most of you guys have been gamers for a good long time, right? My first post here on Bluesnews was back in 2003 and I know I've seen a lot of you around all these years.

I'll be the first to say Active Shooter is in poor taste (and as such, do understand why it got removed), but as gamers, do any of you seriously believe playing a game where you shoot kids could possibly translate to you even entertaining the notion of actually doing it in the real world?

No, of course not. You've gotta have it in you.

5. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2018, 06:21 jdreyer

Orogogus wrote on May 30, 2018, 04:00:
Scheherazade wrote on May 30, 2018, 00:08:
Cutter wrote on May 29, 2018, 22:02:
Valve's house, Valve's rules. It's still hugely fucking hypocritical nonetheless.

Objectively no worse than playing terrists in CS, or militants in Battlefield.

Certainly less PC. Which is the real threshold.

-scheherazade

Eh, I disagree. It seems like the shooter actively hunts down and shoots non-combatants. The terror part of it is less abstract than planting a bomb or guarding hostages until a timer runs out.

In a WWII strategy game you'd usually be able to play the German side and it would just be a wargaming exercise -- you wouldn't have videos of Nazi speeches and propaganda and pogroms and what have you. A counter telling you how many Jews have been detained and killed in your territories would make it a different kind of game.

A CS skin swap into cowboys and Indians would be non-PC, but could be objectively no different. It seems to me that this went out of its way to make violence the point.

I think a more relevant comparison would be playing the Imperials in Battlefront, or any other multiplayer Star Wars game, because usually there's a single player campaign where those Imperials commit atrocities. I guess the reasoning is that it's supposed to be cartoony, over-the-top evil and people aren't going to relate to it.

This game is akin to the "No Russian" level in CoD MW2. That game is still for sale on Steam and has been for years.

However, as I understand it, the developer started out having you play as the police, then later added the option to play as a student or the shooter. In that context, it doesn't seem as bad as it otherwise might.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

4. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2018, 04:00 Orogogus

Scheherazade wrote on May 30, 2018, 00:08:
Valve's house, Valve's rules. It's still hugely fucking hypocritical nonetheless.

-scheherazade

Eh, I disagree. It seems like the shooter actively hunts down and shoots non-combatants. The terror part of it is less abstract than planting a bomb or guarding hostages until a timer runs out.

In a WWII strategy game you'd usually be able to play the German side and it would just be a wargaming exercise -- you wouldn't have videos of Nazi speeches and propaganda and pogroms and what have you. A counter telling you how many Jews have been detained and killed in your territories would make it a different kind of game.

A CS skin swap into cowboys and Indians would be non-PC, but could be objectively no different. It seems to me that this went out of its way to make violence the point.

I think a more relevant comparison would be playing the Imperials in Battlefront, or any other multiplayer Star Wars game, because usually there's a single player campaign where those Imperials commit atrocities. I guess the reasoning is that it's supposed to be cartoony, over-the-top evil and people aren't going to relate to it.

3. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2018, 00:08 Scheherazade

-scheherazade

2. Re: etc., etc. May 29, 2018, 22:02 Cutter

1. Re: etc., etc. May 29, 2018, 20:46 RedEye9

+1 Valve  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >