20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
May 26, 2018, 18:59
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 26, 2018, 18:59
May 26, 2018, 18:59

HorrorScope wrote on May 26, 2018, 11:40:
Interesting on the Tesla, they were found to have a faulty system which buyers paid 5K for, but only get back potentially pennies on the dollar. Why not the full 5k back for false advertising?
1. It was a class action lawsuit
2. Some of the features still work and it's being improved upon.
but mainly 1.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

May 26, 2018, 11:40
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 26, 2018, 11:40
May 26, 2018, 11:40

Interesting on the Tesla, they were found to have a faulty system which buyers paid 5K for, but only get back potentially pennies on the dollar. Why not the full 5k back for false advertising?

May 26, 2018, 00:51
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 26, 2018, 00:51
May 26, 2018, 00:51

eRe4s3r wrote on May 26, 2018, 00:44:
I hope everyone involved in that swatting circle-jerk gets fucked hard.

But most importantly, the cop goes free, right?

His word against a dead guy. Easy peasy.

-scheherazade

May 26, 2018, 00:44
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 26, 2018, 00:44
May 26, 2018, 00:44

I hope everyone involved in that swatting circle-jerk gets fucked hard.

But most importantly, the cop goes free, right?

May 25, 2018, 20:45
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 20:45
May 25, 2018, 20:45

The man who got killed just opened the door and got shot. There was no time to comply with anything.

May 25, 2018, 20:44
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 20:44
May 25, 2018, 20:44

Tesla lawsuit was about the people paying for it and it not working for months. It is not about safety.

May 25, 2018, 18:06
KS
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 18:06
May 25, 2018, 18:06
KS

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 25, 2018, 15:25:
jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2018, 12:01:
Capitan wrote on May 25, 2018, 11:42:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 25, 2018, 10:46:
All 3 of those idiots need some jail time. I don't think 10+ years or anything but even 1-2 years is good enough shock that others can be deterred from it.

Those 3 idiots have killed a person so why shouldn't 10+ years be okay as penalty? Prolly those 3 knew that guy had a violent personality and played on that in the prank. Personalty I think those dumb bastards can sit there in jail and rotten away their lives.

Of course, we can discuss and have opinions about police SWAT should have more margin before they shoot but that's another question

Jail time, absolutely. They took intentionally dangerous actions that resulted in the death of a human being, even if their intent was only to scare.

The thing I worry about 10 years is this: they'll go in as misguided punks, but they'll come out as criminals after being exposed to prison. Prison should be more about rehabilitation and reintegration as productive members of society, and less about punishment. I feel 10 years hard will have the opposite effect. I guess it depends on where they end up tho.

Someone died yes, but it's not like the 3 are directly responsible. Some trigger happy police officers (for good reason) and an idiot who failed to fully comply is to blame.

So yes, there's some debate here but like Jdreyer said.. If you put them in long enough they will come out worse than before.

In many states, death during a felony makes the felons guilty of murder, which includes a getaway driver, your felon buddy who shot at police and got killed in return, and a random bystander accidentally shot by police. All murders by the felons.

This is not a joke, and assholes who swat people need to have the poop scared out of them.

May 25, 2018, 15:25
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 15:25
May 25, 2018, 15:25

jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2018, 12:01:
All 3 of those idiots need some jail time. I don't think 10+ years or anything but even 1-2 years is good enough shock that others can be deterred from it.

Those 3 idiots have killed a person so why shouldn't 10+ years be okay as penalty? Prolly those 3 knew that guy had a violent personality and played on that in the prank. Personalty I think those dumb bastards can sit there in jail and rotten away their lives.

Of course, we can discuss and have opinions about police SWAT should have more margin before they shoot but that's another question

Jail time, absolutely. They took intentionally dangerous actions that resulted in the death of a human being, even if their intent was only to scare.

The thing I worry about 10 years is this: they'll go in as misguided punks, but they'll come out as criminals after being exposed to prison. Prison should be more about rehabilitation and reintegration as productive members of society, and less about punishment. I feel 10 years hard will have the opposite effect. I guess it depends on where they end up tho.

Someone died yes, but it's not like the 3 are directly responsible. Some trigger happy police officers (for good reason) and an idiot who failed to fully comply is to blame.

So yes, there's some debate here but like Jdreyer said.. If you put them in long enough they will come out worse than before.

May 25, 2018, 14:34
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 14:34
May 25, 2018, 14:34

jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2018, 14:04:
RedEye9 wrote on May 25, 2018, 12:45:
jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2018, 11:56:
Really? I think most people are familiar with the term "autopilot" from aircraft, and everyone knows the pilots are required to monitor the flight parameters when the plane is in autopilot.
The fact that pilots sleep (Of the 56% who admitted sleeping, 29% had woken up to find the other pilot asleep as well) while using autopilot http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-24296544
The above should be enough to let you know that we have no idea what "most people are familiar with" or what "everyone knows"

Pilots (who are not most people) know what autopilot means, the average person has no clue.
Even if you look it up the first definition calls it a device for automatically steering ships, aircraft, and spacecraft; also : the automatic control provided by such a device. It never once mentions nor implies the monitoring of anything.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/autopilot

It was a poor choice of words on Tesla's part.

Just because pilots fall asleep doesn't mean the public interprets aircraft autopilot as "fully autonomous." No one expects the pilot and copilot to set the autopilot then come back to the cabin and hang out with the passengers. They expect the pilot and copilot to monitor instrumentation. It's not about the reality of what happens in the cockpit, but about the perception of the word "autopilot."

Next time you take a flight, take a poll: "Do you think it's okay for the pilot and copilot to set the autopilot, then leave the cockpit for a while to hang out with us?" See how many people are fine with that. You won't find many. Most will be appalled. And that's up in the sky, where there are a lot fewer things to run into.

I really don't think the choice of the words "autopilot" are to blame here.
I'm going to side with The Center for Auto Safety and say that the Autopilot name is "deceptive and misleading". http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44225059

You can get back to me with the results of your non-scientific "in the air" strawman quiz.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

May 25, 2018, 14:23
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 14:23
May 25, 2018, 14:23

I'm really glad that my generation were not such raging assholes that we could SWAT one another. Sure, we had IRC and chatrooms where we would fuck with one another and maybe occasionally use something like BackOrifice or the like to knock someone offline for a little bit but that was it.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

May 25, 2018, 14:04
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 14:04
May 25, 2018, 14:04

RedEye9 wrote on May 25, 2018, 12:45:
Really? I think most people are familiar with the term "autopilot" from aircraft, and everyone knows the pilots are required to monitor the flight parameters when the plane is in autopilot.
The fact that pilots sleep (Of the 56% who admitted sleeping, 29% had woken up to find the other pilot asleep as well) while using autopilot http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-24296544
The above should be enough to let you know that we have no idea what "most people are familiar with" or what "everyone knows"

Pilots (who are not most people) know what autopilot means, the average person has no clue.
Even if you look it up the first definition calls it a device for automatically steering ships, aircraft, and spacecraft; also : the automatic control provided by such a device. It never once mentions nor implies the monitoring of anything.

Just because pilots fall asleep doesn't mean the public interprets aircraft autopilot as "fully autonomous." No one expects the pilot and copilot to set the autopilot then come back to the cabin and hang out with the passengers. They expect the pilot and copilot to monitor instrumentation. It's not about the reality of what happens in the cockpit, but about the perception of the word "autopilot."

Next time you take a flight, take a poll: "Do you think it's okay for the pilot and copilot to set the autopilot, then leave the cockpit for a while to hang out with us?" See how many people are fine with that. You won't find many. Most will be appalled. And that's up in the sky, where there are a lot fewer things to run into.

I really don't think the choice of the words "autopilot" are to blame here.
“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

May 25, 2018, 14:02
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 14:02
May 25, 2018, 14:02

It should be treated like involuntary manslaughter. 10+ years is too much and a life sentence is just ridiculous. But like Tipsy said, some jail time is appropriate.

May 25, 2018, 12:45
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 12:45
May 25, 2018, 12:45

It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

May 25, 2018, 12:01
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 12:01
May 25, 2018, 12:01

“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

May 25, 2018, 11:56
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 11:56
May 25, 2018, 11:56

RedEye9 wrote on May 25, 2018, 10:15:
The puddle of losers surrounding the Kansas swatting expands.
So, none of those indicted were the police officer who shot the unarmed man.

Tesla f*ucked up whan they chose to name the assistive driving feature "autopilot".

May 25, 2018, 11:42
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 11:42
May 25, 2018, 11:42

May 25, 2018, 11:32
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 11:32
May 25, 2018, 11:32

class action suits are such a cop out.

Soon as the 'class' wins a suit, all individuals that are of that class are blocked from filing a similar suit forever.

The utility for the defender is this : Lose a suit, give everyone a few bucks, and buy immunity from individual damages (which would be way more per individual).

You have to be on top of things and exclude yourself from these suits. Otherwise you could end up with tens or hundreds of thousands in damages, and no ability to sue, and they hand you 5 bucks and say 'here is your share of the class winnings, you have no other recourse'.

-scheherazade

May 25, 2018, 10:46
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 10:46
May 25, 2018, 10:46

May 25, 2018, 10:32
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 10:32
May 25, 2018, 10:32

I find it quaint that the UK article said "gun cops went to the residence". In the USA, ALL cops are gun cops. There are just different types. Big gun cops, trigger-happy gun cops, dual-wielding gun cops, 2h gun cops...

May 25, 2018, 10:15
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 25, 2018, 10:15
May 25, 2018, 10:15

The puddle of losers surrounding the Kansas swatting expands.

Tesla f*ucked up whan they chose to name the assistive driving feature "autopilot".

It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older