Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Battlefield V in October

Here's the Battlefield V official reveal trailer showing off the by-now expected World War II setting in the next installment in DICE's military shooter series. EA says this will be released on October 19th, and they are already accepting preorders for Standard and Deluxe editions. They note the game will have no premium pass, and apparently will likewise feature neither a battle royale mode nor loot boxes. They do promise that in its single-player War Stories, an "untold side of World War 2 comes to light," that their Grand Operations mode is grand, and that Combined Arms will add "all-or-nothing online co-op that will test vets and new recruits alike." They also talk of new company appearance options, leading them to call this the deepest, most immersive Battlefield yet. Here's more on what to expect from the official announcement:
In new and classic multiplayer modes, players can lead their own unique Company to victory in a dynamic multiplayer experience where every battle is unique. The Company allows players to create and deeply customize their soldiers, weapons and vehicles that will evolve as they progress, covering everything from the way they look to the way they play. Fan favorite modes like the 64-player Conquest return, with the game’s multiplayer culminating in Grand Operations, an all-new live, event-based experience within Tides of War. These multimap, multi-mode dynamic events take players through vast historical battles to relive moments of bravery and desperation while fighting to the final objective.

The acclaimed single-player campaign mode from Battlefield 1, War Stories, returns for Battlefield V. Witness the conflict through the eyes of men and women of World War 2 and experience untold stories of human drama, filled with Battlefield moments. Experience the freezing Norwegian landscapes as a young Norwegian resistance fighter or come ashore into the desert heat of North Africa - and more.

Tides of War is DICE’s new approach to live services, where players will set out on an epic journey with their Company in unexpected battles throughout World War 2. There will be no premium pass, all players will have access to the same maps and modes, keeping the community unified as they progress through Battlefield V. In Tides of War, their journey through World War 2 will grow through themed experiences that will include events and all-new ways to play like Grand Operations, while also unlocking the latest themed rewards such as weapons and vehicles to further shape their Company.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Battlefield V in October May 25, 2018, 07:27 Slick

TheEmissary wrote on May 24, 2018, 19:11:
Osc8r wrote on May 24, 2018, 18:32:
theglaze wrote on May 24, 2018, 15:00:
TBH, if any FPS franchise could actually present a solid Battle Royale mode... it's this one!

Massive Maps and player count = A cornerstone of the franchise
Vehicles = Have your pick
Gun-play depth = Miles ahead of the other popular titles
Parachutes = Just pull the cord

Add in artillery barrages or gas attacks to simulate the safe zone, and they'd have the best Battle Royale mode on the market...

I guess we'll just have to settle for the normal BF experience: random public lobbies with ridiculously skilled team hogging the best vehicle (which no one can kill) and the endless cycle of spawn kiling.

Can't wait Blank

Exactly. Once they get disappointing sales and see all the continued success in the BR market hopefully they will wake up and do something different to the same old tired formula they've used for the past 15 years or so.

Battlefield does need innovation for its gameplay modes but it doesn't need to follow the BR trend. There are so many ways they could go such as dynamically changing objectives and scenarios. In my mind its hard to rationalize the existence of a mode that eliminates the teamplay for RNG free for all.

You sound like you haven't watched the Jack Frags video about all the new gameplay... it's like 20 minutes of HOLY FUCKING SHIT about every 30 seconds.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Battlefield V in October May 25, 2018, 07:20 Slick

Beamer wrote on May 24, 2018, 08:49:
I'm happy there isn't much griping about the characters here. I'm not surprised to see it elsewhere, but it's so weird to me.

In Battlefield games, the setting is just about the tools you have, and even then, loosely. Nothing is historically accurate, as you always have weapons not available at the time or the location, and they act differently. And, of course, you're a grunt running around on the ground as an infantryman one moment and the next dashing to the airport to take a plane and do whatever the hell you want with it.

If having a female teammate ruins your immersion, but none of that does, how? And why? The point of Battlefield games is killing a lot of people without being killed, not to be immersed.

I agree fully, but I'll go a step further and defend their notion of being a very "immersive" experience. Accuracy =/= Immersion. I've been immersed in many games in my life, most of them were fictional, or didn't take the lore super seriously. I'd say Quake was one of the most immersive games I've ever played, and it wasn't because of the plot. Just like Battlefield, presentation and gameplay make up 90% of the immersion.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2018, 07:30.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

50. Re: Battlefield V in October May 25, 2018, 07:16 Slick

DangerDog wrote on May 24, 2018, 02:18:
If using a wrench to repair a bridge is just like Fortnite then yeah the ability to build reinforcement structures and repair things is exactly like it.

nevermind that you could do that in BF1942.

Sure could! And BF2.

Also, whoever said "Fortnite is exactly Battlefield just with building"... I don't know what you're on about. The cartoony 4-player co-op loot grinder FPS? I think you're thinking of Boarderlands... with building.

49. Re: Morning Mobilization May 25, 2018, 02:37 jdreyer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on May 24, 2018, 19:51:
While not a huge deal, the female character does rub me the wrong way. I played quite a bit of Battlefield I, and I genuinely liked that the Russians had female soldiers, that the Ottomans were a playable army, and that the Brits, French, and Germans had soldiers from their respective colonial possessions (such as India, Senegal, etc.). Here though, the robot armed English sniper lady is simply ahistorical in a way that makes suspension of disbelief a lot harder than the relative number of Senegalese that would spawn for the French Army or women that would spawn for Russia in BF1. The Brits actually subjected women to the draft during WWII, and were the only nation to do so to my knowledge, but British women service members never came close to serving in an infantry or army combat arms role; think radar operators and air traffic controllers, not snipers.

Had this been a Soviet sniper, or better yet a Sturmovik pilot, I'd be all for it, but as is this is just ahistorical and kinda dumb.

Due to the conspicuous lack of uniforms, I assumed all the characters were partisans. And plenty of women partisans of all nations wielded guns in WW2.

IMO, it's hard to tell from the trailer exactly what's going on. It could be "It's MP, so dress your character any way you like, and BTW, we have these great outfits you can get for $5 each" and the SP "story" missions will adhere closer to known reality. Cosmetic MTs might be a way for Dice to monetize without resorting to the whole lootbox mechanic, which they've promised not to do.

I do feel sympathy toward the argument "it's immersion breaking if it's a bunch of randos running around with WW2 weapons." Hopefully when we learn more about the game things will become clearer.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

48. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2018, 22:39 Mordecai Walfish

bigspender wrote on May 24, 2018, 18:16:
Cutter wrote on May 24, 2018, 09:09:
bigspender wrote on May 23, 2018, 22:50:
For sure, but I believe it has more to do with marketing the game to a wider audience than SJW pandering. It's a smart business move to make it appeal to more people.

Is it though? Most people have had enough of the PC bullshit. The silent majority is pissed off and not staying silent anymore. This is manifesting itself the world over. Look at most of the recent elections in Europe where it's all starting to go hard right. Even here after 15 years of Liberal misrule it looks like they're going to get crushed - and rightfully so - this June. I suppose we'll see.

It's just a different avatar in a game. I agree with the PC / SJW needs to die, but this isn't taking jobs away from qualified men in the real world or anything like that.

My buddy's wife is super excited that she can play as a female in the game. And that's one extra copy of the game they just sold. It's all business.

If it was an SJW thing 2 of the soldiers would be overweight, one would be wearing a burka lol ..... and if we see something like this in a DLC then i'll owe you an apology

With the amount of customization in the game for squads and characters that's new to the series, it's pretty obvious that they would want to provide a variety of choices for this, and not be hindered by historically accurate limitations. This is a game, not a documentary.. hopefully people can pull up their big boy pants and enjoy it, if it turns out well.

I would bet money that a 'battle royale DLC/add-on' is incoming though. lol

47. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 20:09 eRe4s3r

TBH, if any FPS franchise could actually present a solid Battle Royale mode... it's this one!

Add in artillery barrages or gas attacks to simulate the safe zone, and they'd have the best Battle Royale mode on the market...

I guess we'll just have to settle for the normal BF experience: random public lobbies with ridiculously skilled team hogging the best vehicle (which no one can kill) and the endless cycle of spawn kiling.

Can't wait Blank

Spawn killing will always happen when 1 team utterly dominates, the real issue, that BF1 had, was that it lacked and still lacks an auto-balancer that ignores squad locks. When 20 people are in squads, auto balancer does.. not. It's why BF1 is dead. Well, that and the vehicle balance as well as the DLC nonsense.

46. Re: Morning Mobilization May 24, 2018, 19:51 Scottish Martial Arts

While not a huge deal, the female character does rub me the wrong way. I played quite a bit of Battlefield I, and I genuinely liked that the Russians had female soldiers, that the Ottomans were a playable army, and that the Brits, French, and Germans had soldiers from their respective colonial possessions (such as India, Senegal, etc.). Here though, the robot armed English sniper lady is simply ahistorical in a way that makes suspension of disbelief a lot harder than the relative number of Senegalese that would spawn for the French Army or women that would spawn for Russia in BF1. The Brits actually subjected women to the draft during WWII, and were the only nation to do so to my knowledge, but British women service members never came close to serving in an infantry or army combat arms role; think radar operators and air traffic controllers, not snipers.

Had this been a Soviet sniper, or better yet a Sturmovik pilot, I'd be all for it, but as is this is just ahistorical and kinda dumb.

45. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 19:11 TheEmissary

Osc8r wrote on May 24, 2018, 18:32:

Can't wait Blank

Exactly. Once they get disappointing sales and see all the continued success in the BR market hopefully they will wake up and do something different to the same old tired formula they've used for the past 15 years or so.

Battlefield does need innovation for its gameplay modes but it doesn't need to follow the BR trend. There are so many ways they could go such as dynamically changing objectives and scenarios. In my mind its hard to rationalize the existence of a mode that eliminates the teamplay for RNG free for all.

44. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 18:32 Osc8r

Can't wait Blank

43. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 18:16 bigspender

For sure, but I believe it has more to do with marketing the game to a wider audience than SJW pandering. It's a smart business move to make it appeal to more people.

Is it though? Most people have had enough of the PC bullshit. The silent majority is pissed off and not staying silent anymore. This is manifesting itself the world over. Look at most of the recent elections in Europe where it's all starting to go hard right. Even here after 15 years of Liberal misrule it looks like they're going to get crushed - and rightfully so - this June. I suppose we'll see.

It's just a different avatar in a game. I agree with the PC / SJW needs to die, but this isn't taking jobs away from qualified men in the real world or anything like that.

My buddy's wife is super excited that she can play as a female in the game. And that's one extra copy of the game they just sold. It's all business.

If it was an SJW thing 2 of the soldiers would be overweight, one would be wearing a burka lol ..... and if we see something like this in a DLC then i'll owe you an apology

42. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 15:23 DangerDog

Beamer wrote on May 24, 2018, 15:03:
DangerDog wrote on May 24, 2018, 14:45:
jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2018, 13:10:
Task wrote on May 24, 2018, 12:14:

Oh come on Cutter... How in the hell is this "PC". It's a Battlefield game. Would it be less "PC" for a woman soldier to be in a "modern" shooty-shooty game?

There are more 'historical' WW2 games anyways:

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
Rising Storm
Hell Let Loose
Post Scriptum

The other thing is that women fighting in WW2 isn't even historically inaccurate. Here's a bunch of Soviet women. Check out the scope on her Mosin M1891. And here's a French partisan, dressed to the nines and wielding a Schmeisser MP40.

And having them in the game wouldn't upset anyone if the goal was to create a historically accurate WWII game, which is essentially where all this backlash is originating. On one hand DICE is trying to say this is a WWII game but on the other they've inserted a bunch of characters that look like they'd fit in with something like Dishonored 2 or God's of War.

It's the realistic graphics that are trapping them up. If they went with a 'toon' look then the fantasy part would be front and center, but then the comparison to fortnite would be even higher - despite Battlefield Heroes doing it first.

I think I can see this argument, though we've seen so little. Uncanny Valley of Realism. Wolfenstein is over the top enough to not be an issue, original Wolfestein such poor graphics it wasn't an issue, but this is close to realistic so that the unrealistic stuff stands out.

I'd wager that it feels more fully baked in a larger reveal.

It's also a departure from all the Battlefield games up till now (except for Battlefield Heroes), which has been "authentic looking but arcade like in execution and gameplay". I see it as DICE trying to be 'edgy and hip' and also trying to distance the game from strong nationalistic themes of what an authentic WWII game would bring.

The historical relevance of the game is completely tossed out the window. They can only loosely play with the larger scope of the war thematically, which if you notice they're specifically targeting settings that are a departure of what people expect - no storming the beaches of Normandy this time around.

41. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 15:03 Beamer

DangerDog wrote on May 24, 2018, 14:45:

Oh come on Cutter... How in the hell is this "PC". It's a Battlefield game. Would it be less "PC" for a woman soldier to be in a "modern" shooty-shooty game?

Rising Storm
Hell Let Loose
Post Scriptum

The other thing is that women fighting in WW2 isn't even historically inaccurate. Here's a bunch of Soviet women. Check out the scope on her Mosin M1891. And here's a French partisan, dressed to the nines and wielding a Schmeisser MP40.

And having them in the game wouldn't upset anyone if the goal was to create a historically accurate WWII game, which is essentially where all this backlash is originating. On one hand DICE is trying to say this is a WWII game but on the other they've inserted a bunch of characters that look like they'd fit in with something like Dishonored 2 or God's of War.

It's the realistic graphics that are trapping them up. If they went with a 'toon' look then the fantasy part would be front and center, but then the comparison to fortnite would be even higher - despite Battlefield Heroes doing it first.

I think I can see this argument, though we've seen so little. Uncanny Valley of Realism. Wolfenstein is over the top enough to not be an issue, original Wolfestein such poor graphics it wasn't an issue, but this is close to realistic so that the unrealistic stuff stands out.

I'd wager that it feels more fully baked in a larger reveal.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 15:00 theglaze

Can't wait Blank

39. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 14:45 DangerDog

Rising Storm
Hell Let Loose
Post Scriptum

And having them in the game wouldn't upset anyone if the goal was to create a historically accurate WWII game, which is essentially where all this backlash is originating. On one hand DICE is trying to say this is a WWII game but on the other they've inserted a bunch of characters that look like they'd fit in with something like Dishonored 2 or God of War.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2018, 15:04.

38. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 14:05 McJammiepants

HorrorScope wrote on May 24, 2018, 13:53:
Sepharo wrote on May 24, 2018, 09:28:
I find it very surreal that the right is now home to sensitive babies and outrage.
So much crying over so little. What a bizarre thing to be upset about.

This.

“The right” have always played the victim role. Self-awareness and personal responsibility are at best words they hide behind, not values they live by.

37. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 14:03 ZeroPike1

So much whining about nothing. Seriously guys, the hell is wrong with you lot?

Different setting? What? futuristic. ok you have Call of Duty with wall running, Titanfall with giant robots, frigging Overwatch with special future tech abilities. Other Games and options are available.

Girls in combat? it happened it happened throughout history, in happened during WW2, Women were fighting. Let it be represented here. If your worried about whats between someones legs during combat your honestly just dumb.

Fortnite? How? This game at least keeps it logical. Is the dumb looking structures in Fortnite somehow better? And believe me they look pretty f-in stupid.

>>I'm actually interested in the game. Customizing my Matilda Tank with a Union Jack? count me in for at least that. Skeptical though, it is DICE and its a new BF. Going to be alot of bugs that will probably never get fixed. As per usual.

36. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 13:53 HorrorScope

Sepharo wrote on May 24, 2018, 09:28:
I find it very surreal that the right is now home to sensitive babies and outrage.
So much crying over so little. What a bizarre thing to be upset about.

This.

35. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 13:53 HorrorScope

Is it though? Most people have had enough of the PC bullshit. The silent majority is pissed off and not staying silent anymore.

Giving women equality is now considered PC? I'm tellin ya's, it's already happened and it ain't going back unless we literally have a war on gender, which will then be humanities new low point on stupidity. Yes for certain there are some men that can't stand it, they are having their voice heard, but over time that will be handled and moved on from. Why? Cause right will win out.

34. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 13:47 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on May 23, 2018, 22:43:
No one ever said it had to be an authentic WW2 simulator but this SJW pandering is fucking irritating in all aspects of life. Classic liberal revisionism.

You're ok with it not being authentic (I am to by the way, it's a game) but then you have your opinions on what is allowed in a non-authentic. Noise. I'm going to get over the girl thing. I'm going to in my mind call this alternate reality no matter if they do or don't if the trailer is anything like that game, because that looked alternate to me. The bottom line comes down to once again gameplay, gameplay, gameplay... the gfx here look quite nice.

33. Re: Battlefield V in October May 24, 2018, 13:10 jdreyer

Rising Storm
Hell Let Loose
Post Scriptum

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >