Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games

Apparently Valve recently updated the Valve Corporation Website, a far less significant online presence than the Steam website that's home to the public messaging of this very private company (thanks TweakTown). Their "about" page discusses their catalog, past present and future. They list their current games as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Dota 2, and Team Fortress 2. Then they talk about their "earlier titles," Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and Portal 2. Finally, and this is where it gets interesting, they refer to new games, saying they have unannounced titles in the works which are "top secret." The two works-in-progress they mention are Artifact and In the Valley of Gods, but as we say, the most intriguing projects are the ones they don't list. Word is:
We have some new games in the works, too. A couple have been announced, while others remain top secret.
View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 23, 2018, 16:33 Sepharo

Nullity wrote on May 23, 2018, 12:37:
Sepharo wrote on May 22, 2018, 21:24:
They never stopped working on it. There are just no time tables or due dates, nobody they're beholden to... The employees can do whatever they want. And I have to believe there are some guys working on HL3, disorganized rudderless, but working on it nonetheless.

I want to believe as well, but evidence suggests this isn't true. With all the talent voluntarily leaving Valve in the last few years, and the smoking gun being Marc Laidlaw publicly posting the plot summary for the next HL game. That never happens.

We never got all the details, but it's entirely reasonable and probable to conclude that as a writer, he got fed up with not actually having anything to write, and posted the story outline out of frustration.

I want a new HL game at least as much as anyone else, but I gave up hope long ago.

No the evidence suggests it is true... there have been multiple leaks where file directories and other such information comes out showing folders labeled HL3 etc. ... individual developers and network drives have HL3 material on them from varying time periods.

But you might be missing my point given your Laidlaw example and how it fits just fine with what I said. Individuals within Valve have and probably still are occasionally working on their own pet projects concerning HL3, but without more organization, and really Gabe deciding to tell people what to do, nothing will come together to produce a game from nearly random and varying contributions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 23, 2018, 12:37 Nullity

Sepharo wrote on May 22, 2018, 21:24:
They never stopped working on it. There are just no time tables or due dates, nobody they're beholden to... The employees can do whatever they want. And I have to believe there are some guys working on HL3, disorganized rudderless, but working on it nonetheless.

I want to believe as well, but evidence suggests this isn't true. With all the talent voluntarily leaving Valve in the last few years, and the smoking gun being Marc Laidlaw publicly posting the plot summary for the next HL game. That never happens.

We never got all the details, but it's entirely reasonable and probable to conclude that as a writer, he got fed up with not actually having anything to write, and posted the story outline out of frustration.

I want a new HL game at least as much as anyone else, but I gave up hope long ago.

37. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 23, 2018, 02:55 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on May 22, 2018, 15:21:
Counter-Counter-Strike?

Not enough Counter!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

36. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 23, 2018, 02:54 Kxmode

Timmeh wrote on May 22, 2018, 12:52:
Kxmode wrote on May 22, 2018, 11:40:
Illuminati Confirmed!
UFOs Confirmed!
Aliens Confirmed!
Half-Life 3 Confirmed!
Unannounced Top Secret Game Confirmed!

You better hope the Illuminati doesn't see this.... Disguise

They can't. Party

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

35. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2018, 21:55 Mordecai Walfish

I think the next half life is under development for vr. They waited for a paradigm shift in gaming, after all they achieved in half-life 2, and other FPS games have done afterwards, they don't have as much room to innovate there. VR is the paradigm shift that creates something truly fresh for the franchise/genre, but I do not think it will come until decent VR sets are priced @ $200 or less. If you're investing as much as it will cost to make a full half-life game in VR, then the steep barrier of entry for consumers becomes a huge problem for a developer, who will have a much more limited audience. Valve can take their time on it and get it perfect by the time these cheaper consumer sets are available.

I want to believe.

34. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 21:24 Sepharo

33. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 19:42 1badmf

Verno wrote on May 22, 2018, 13:41:
I'll be in diapers and dentures by the time the games actually arrive.

did valve ever give a reason for suspending the HL series? or was it really just GabeN achieving fat cat status?

32. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 18:18 Leper

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2018, 13:46:
Capella wrote on May 22, 2018, 11:29:
Come on we gotta keep hoping! Don't give up! Just imagine what a new HL would mean. I bet Blues would crash.

Yeah, but what would be the point of keeping it a secret? If another company was going to do a "Half Life" they would have done it by now.

When they announced HL2 is was only like 6 months before release IIRC. It ended up being delayed but the original intent was to announce once it was close to done. If they're working on some top-secret games it's certainly possible one is HL3, but yeah, don't get your hopes up.

31. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 18:04 RaZ0r!

Day of Defeat  

30. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 17:12 Peeeling

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2018, 16:17:
jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2018, 14:08:

Just had a terrible thought:

Half-Live: Battle Royale

You mean you had a REALISTIC thought?

I mean, seriously, does anyone really believe a new HL would even have a single player campaign? Like really really?

LLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL

Yes. And if you thought about it for a moment, you'd believe it too. Valve is not publicly traded. They have plenty of money. If for some random reason they decided to make a BR game, why would they attach the HL brand to it?

29. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 16:42 SlimRam

I'm absolutely flaccid just thinking about a new Valve game.  

28. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 16:17 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2018, 14:08:

You mean you had a REALISTIC thought?

I mean, seriously, does anyone really believe a new HL would even have a single player campaign? Like really really?

LLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL

27. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 15:21 El Pit

Counter-Counter-Strike?  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

26. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 15:10 eRe4s3r

I think Artifact is Valves attempt to kill MTG  

25. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 15:00 HoSpanky

Well, The Lab was a collection of well-thought-out VR tech demos. Nothing was more than 10 minutes long, but more than anything else, it clearly showed that Valve still has master craftsmen working there. Two years later and no one’s topped their Xortex shooter idea, nor the astounding tech on display in Robot Repair. So I’ve got a bit more enthusiasm for whatever they crank out next. They’re absolutely the most likely company to release the first killer app for VR, because they seem to have a better grasp of what to DO with it. So many VR games currently just mimic flatscreen game types, and that’s not what’s going to do it.  

24. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 14:42 aka_STEVE

Team Fortress 3: Poker Night

" the battle royale for hats "

23. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 14:08 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

22. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 13:46 jdreyer

Capella wrote on May 22, 2018, 11:29:
Come on we gotta keep hoping! Don't give up! Just imagine what a new HL would mean. I bet Blues would crash.

Yeah, but what would be the point of keeping it a secret? If another company was going to do a "Half Life" they would have done it by now.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

21. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 13:45 jdreyer

Kajetan wrote on May 22, 2018, 10:40:
Yay! Top secret Bridge Builder and Trading Card games!!!

Hey, thou shalt not speak ill of thine bridge builder!

My son loves that game. He specializes in building them so that they fail just as the vehicle reaches the end of the bridge. "So close!" he'll shout.

20. Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 13:44 Darks

Guarantee you now, they will be PVP and Battle Royal bullshit type games.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >