Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I received a Dyson V6 cordless "stick" vacuum as a present from Subaru shortly after buying my car, which I think was to compensate me after I was inconvenienced by couple of unnecessary service trips. The vacuum recently started acting oddly, with the motor repeatedly cutting out like it had a pulse feature. Even though the problem sounds like a loose connection or a recharging problem, after some troubleshooting I'm pretty sure the culprit is a dirty filter. The confirmation of this is the motor runs steadily with it removed. This cloth filter is supposed to be rinsed once a month, but it never looked dirty, so I never bothered (it still easily passes the eye test). But after a year of neglect even a thorough rinsing does not seem to have set things right. So I've ordered a replacement, which are quite common and inexpensive, so I think I'm not the only one who's ended up in this clogged boat. On the other hand, though the price tag on this vacuum may have deterred me from buying one for myself, it is a pretty great appliance. I can definitely recommend it, especially if you can do like I did and get yours with other people's money.

Sticky Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: World Soccer Cup 2018.
The Lost Temple.
Stories: 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' — Critics' Reviews.
Stan Lee Suing Former Company POW! Entertainment For $1 Billion.
Keyless cars causing dozens of deaths.
Science: Scientists declare octopi life from another world.
Body clock linked to mood disorders.
Are Some Calories Better Than Others? Yes, Suggests New Research.
Images: Mount St. Helens eruption- Never-before-published photos.
Media: Almost Every Type of Crying.
Chris Pratt Tries To Bring A Velociraptor With Him On A Flight As His Service Animal.
FORTNITE: INFINITY WAR (React- Gaming).
Follow-up: Chipotle cuts losses, settles wrongful termination case. Thanks Orogogus.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2018, 14:35 Mr. Tact

Don't you all know? The DNA that started everything came from Mars! We are all Martians anyway...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2018, 11:02 Avus

If octopus is from anther world, then I had eaten aliens... Alien, try come to invade Earth and I am going to eat you motherfxxker!!  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2018, 09:52 Verno

jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2018, 13:37:
It's trickier than that, according to the article. All of the cars involved in the deaths were hybrids. When you pull into the garage, there's no engine sound. Without that feedback mechanism, people forget to hit the button, and go inside the house. When the battery in the hybrid gets low, the engine kicks on, filling the garage and subsequently the house with CO.

I still don't see how people are failing to notice the million other indicators that your car is still on. I was in an accident last year and wrote off the Fusion, got a Lexus ES350 instead with push button start. The car beeps, has lights on and probably a dozen other things to show you that its still running. Probably have their head in their phone as soon as they park, if not while they're driving.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 19:16 RedEye9

When the battery in the hybrid gets low, the engine kicks on, filling the garage and subsequently the house with CO.
Oh that's gonna get changed.
Wait till somebody has clothing sucked into a pully snapping an arm or a finger gets amputated because the engine Turned On while they where tinkering around under the hood.

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 19:02 Cutter

Ahh, I was gonna' say, don't you drive a Corvette? And technically, they bought it with your money anyway.

That's crazy about the keyless ignitions. You'd think that it would just shut off after 5 minutes of inactivity. That's good to know as I'll have to ask the good people of Kia if that's the same on my Niro. I wonder if one can get something like that installed or modified to work that way without too much trouble or expense.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 17:32 RedEye9

Stan Lee is a victim of elder abuse. Hope he wins.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 15:13  Blue 

Rhialto wrote on May 16, 2018, 12:40:
What Subaru do you have? Forester here... and Subaru didn't gave me a vacuum but replaced the motor short block for free in the following months after warranty was over. I so wanted a Subaru for a long time, hard to beat their AWD ability and it's great with the winter we have. No regrets! So in the end I was happy with the service and since then my girlfriend recently bought a used 2018 Crosstrek, yep only 6 months old and she likes it a lot. 2018 is the new revised model with new platform. I was also impressed.

I like to watch YouTube videos where Subaru wins over competition in mud, snow, slippery slope, name it! But I guess looking for competition beating Subs also exist.

We got a 2017 Impreza for MrsBlue's job in the snow country that she ended up quitting. This is the first model with the new platform you mention, and so far it seems like a wonderful car.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 14:41 DangerDog

summerock wrote on May 16, 2018, 10:51:
I hope the new Star Wars Han Solo Movie is Good.

once you click on one youtube rant video about Solo the machine learning algorithm will flood your view list with millions more.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 14:21 jdreyer

Did anyone watch the Queen trailer yesterday? Man, they did a great job of capturing the mood of the 70s, and Rami appears to be channeling Freddy. Will have to wait for reviews to see if they managed to pull it all together.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 14:19 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on May 16, 2018, 13:47:
For clinical cases of depression and other mood disorders I’d say sleep is an additive issue as opposed to a causal one. That said if you’ve been in a bit of a funk and you’re having sleep problems, making a few behavioral changes that promote better sleep could help a lot.
Exercise is a great way to both improve your mood and make you feel sleepy at night.

On the subject of alien octopi, while I’m not a molecular biologist, I feel like there’s got to be a lot of evidence that’s being ignored to reach those conclusions. I was able to read the original article and there seems to be a lot of ‘This hasn’t been fully explained therefore ALIENS’. Granted they’re talking about extraterrestrial retrovirus accelerating evolution, being responsible for HIV and the Spanish flu, and not some space eggs that octopi hatched from. But still comes off as highly speculative.
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. This story reminded me of the "alien megastructure" story.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 13:54 Pigeon

Hoop wrote on May 16, 2018, 11:51:
Everyone of those 28 killed by their cars gloated to friends about never needing to turn an ignition again.

It's trickier than that, according to the article. All of the cars involved in the deaths were hybrids. When you pull into the garage, there's no engine sound. Without that feedback mechanism, people forget to hit the button, and go inside the house. When the battery in the hybrid gets low, the engine kicks on, filling the garage and subsequently the house with CO.

I have a less fatal story with my push button car. I drove my wife home and went out to run errands. When I got back to the car from the store, I couldn't start it. Turns out that we'd started the car with her fob and she took it with her in the house. I had accidentally left my fob home. So I was stranded. She had to come out by taxi so we could get the car home. Not fun. As a result, I've had my fob surgically implanted in my thigh. It gets itchy from time to time, but it's a small price to pay for never being stranded.

I'd seen the headline before, but never read the article. It makes much more sense this is happening with hybrids. I like the key-less ignition cause it means I'm very unlikely to somehow get locked out of my car. On the other hand I don't have a significant other to trick me into thinking I have the keys and then run off with them

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 13:47 Pigeon

For clinical cases of depression and other mood disorders I’d say sleep is an additive issue as opposed to a causal one. That said if you’ve been in a bit of a funk and you’re having sleep problems, making a few behavioral changes that promote better sleep could help a lot.
On the subject of alien octopi, while I’m not a molecular biologist, I feel like there’s got to be a lot of evidence that’s being ignored to reach those conclusions. I was able to read the original article and there seems to be a lot of ‘This hasn’t been fully explained therefore ALIENS’. Granted they’re talking about extraterrestrial retrovirus accelerating evolution, being responsible for HIV and the Spanish flu, and not some space eggs that octopi hatched from. But still comes off as highly speculative.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 13:37 jdreyer

Hoop wrote on May 16, 2018, 11:51:
Everyone of those 28 killed by their cars gloated to friends about never needing to turn an ignition again.

I have a less fatal story with my push button car. I drove my wife home and went out to run errands. When I got back to the car from the store, I couldn't start it. Turns out that we'd started the car with her fob and she took it with her in the house. I had accidentally left my fob home. So I was stranded. She had to come out by taxi so we could get the car home. Not fun. As a result, I've had my fob surgically implanted in my thigh. It gets itchy from time to time, but it's a small price to pay for never being stranded.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 12:40 Rhialto

What Subaru do you have? Forester here... and Subaru didn't gave me a vacuum but replaced the motor short block for free in the following months after warranty was over. I so wanted a Subaru for a long time, hard to beat their AWD ability and it's great with the winter we have. No regrets! So in the end I was happy with the service and since then my girlfriend recently bought a used 2018 Crosstrek, yep only 6 months old and she likes it a lot. 2018 is the new revised model with new platform. I was also impressed.

I like to watch YouTube videos where Subaru wins over competition in mud, snow, slippery slope, name it! But I guess looking for competition beating Subs also exist.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 12:33 RedEye9

Mount St. Helens, Mount Tambora (1815 eruption) laughs at you.

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 11:51 Hoop

I would like to see Jabba the Hutts back story fleshed out, before the thyroid problem after college when he worked for his Uncle Pizza's fast food chain.

Um .. Behind you...

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 11:30 summerock

They are my favorite seafood. No wonder why they taste so other worldly to me.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 10:59 SirKnight

"Scientists declare octopi life from another world."

LOL!

4. Re: Octopi May 16, 2018, 10:59 Beamer

Bill Borre wrote on May 16, 2018, 10:48:
Somewhere, H.P. Lovecraft is laughing.

I mean, he did that when black people got the right to vote.

ZING!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2018, 10:51 summerock

I hope the new Star Wars Han Solo Movie is Good.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo