Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Jails are replacing visits with video calls—inmates and families hate it. May 16, 2018, 05:41 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on May 16, 2018, 01:23:

@Beamer @NKD,
You're both intelligent and well educated. You've each been around as long or longer than Cutter. Why do ya'll even bother feeding that troll?

Pretty sure Cutter has me on ignore actually, so he's probably not even going to see it. When I respond to his shit it's primarily to vent and/or remind people of his intellectual disability. A waste of time for sure, but it's a small amount of time.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Jails are replacing visits with video calls—inmates and families hate it. May 16, 2018, 01:23 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on May 15, 2018, 17:30:
Cutter wrote on May 15, 2018, 16:53:
TheBigVlad wrote on May 15, 2018, 11:24:
Prisoners have become so dehumanized, it's sad. I would argue that their constitutional rights are being violated on a large scale (cruel and unusual punishment) but almost nobody cares enough to want to change it. Not everyone in jail/prison is a serial child murderer.

It's prison, not summer camp. Ask the victims of those assholes what they think. You've obviously been lucky enough to never be a victim of one of them or know anyone who has. Once you are you'll abandon that liberal fantasy and any semblance of pity for them. They deserve none.

Dude.
I know you're not good at not being angry at things that don't impact you, or you don't feel may impact you. Instead, you only care when something has a personal impact, and you feel like everything else is stupid and everyone not you needs to get fucked.

First, this is jails, not prisons, which means tons of these people have been picked up and haven't had a trial yet. A huge chunk won't even get a trial, they're sitting in jail without the ability to make parole but will never get to trial before the charges are dropped. The ones there longterm are in for misdemeanors with sentences under a year. For someone as caustically arrogant as you, you'd think you know the difference between prison and jail.

But not everyone in even prison has a "victim." Over 50% of federal prisoners in the US are there for drug crimes. Just over a quarter of those, so an eight total (heh) are in for marijuana charges.

13% of American federal prisoners are in for weed. And you say they deserve no pity. Nice guy, you are.

@Beamer @NKD,
You're both intelligent and well educated. You've each been around as long or longer than Cutter. Why do ya'll even bother feeding that troll?

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

9. Re: Jails are replacing visits with video calls—inmates and families hate it. May 16, 2018, 01:13 NKD

Prisoners have become so dehumanized, it's sad. I would argue that their constitutional rights are being violated on a large scale (cruel and unusual punishment) but almost nobody cares enough to want to change it. Not everyone in jail/prison is a serial child murderer.

It's prison, not summer camp. Ask the victims of those assholes what they think. You've obviously been lucky enough to never be a victim of one of them or know anyone who has. Once you are you'll abandon that liberal fantasy and any semblance of pity for them. They deserve none.

"If you were emotionally compromised and biased, you'd have a different opinion!"

Shut the fuck up Cutter. While I'd certainly hold animosity towards someone who commited a crime against me, that doesn't have anything to do with the millions of other people in this country who are incarcerated.

I could just as easily say the same to you. If you were in jail for some trivial bullshit and because of people like yourself dehumanizing inmates, it was hell on Earth and you were ass raped by a broom handle every day, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be thinking "It's fine, I broke the law, I deserve this." You'd be crying like a little bitch and would never defend the prison system again. Also you'd probably be shitting in a bag the rest of your life, which I guess isn't too different from your posts here.

Nearly 1% of our population is in prison at any given time, and that's not even factoring in the revolving door justice system we have where an even larger % of people have been to prison in the last 10 years. We have about 4% of the worlds population, but 22% of its prisoners.

With that many people incarcerated, we can't afford to deny them fair treatment, because a large number of them probably shouldn't even be there.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

8. Re: Jails are replacing visits with video calls—inmates and families hate it. May 15, 2018, 17:30 Beamer

Dude.
I know you're not good at not being angry at things that don't impact you, or you don't feel may impact you. Instead, you only care when something has a personal impact, and you feel like everything else is stupid and everyone not you needs to get fucked.

First, this is jails, not prisons, which means tons of these people have been picked up and haven't had a trial yet. A huge chunk won't even get a trial, they're sitting in jail without the ability to make parole but will never get to trial before the charges are dropped. The ones there longterm are in for misdemeanors with sentences under a year. For someone as caustically arrogant as you, you'd think you know the difference between prison and jail.

But not everyone in even prison has a "victim." Over 50% of federal prisoners in the US are there for drug crimes. Just over a quarter of those, so an eight total (heh) are in for marijuana charges.

13% of American federal prisoners are in for weed. And you say they deserve no pity. Nice guy, you are.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Jails are replacing visits with video calls—inmates and families hate it. May 15, 2018, 16:53 Cutter

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2018, 16:53 Cutter

The controversial program, called "Project Maven,"

Professor Frink: It was called Operation Hoiven Maven!

So the assholes that resigned have had zero problem with all the other evil shit Google has been doing for years but this is too much for them? Well give them their fuckin' hero cookies. Rolleyes

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2018, 16:36 DangerDog

The police are doing their very best at reducing the prison population in the US by making sure you don't leave the scene of the crime alive, and in some cases even if there's no crime.

4. Jail Video Call. FOLLOW THE MONEY May 15, 2018, 15:21 RedEye9

It's all about the money.
Thanks to the commercialized prison system.
Jailing Americans for Profit: The Rise of the Prison Industrial Complex
“Mass incarceration on a scale almost unexampled in human history is a fundamental fact of our country today — perhaps the fundamental fact, as slavery was the fundamental fact of 1850. ... Over all, there are now more people under ‘correctional supervision’ in America — more than six million — than were in the Gulag Archipelago under Stalin at its height.” — Adam Gopnik, “The Caging of America“

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

3. Re: Jails are replacing visits with video calls—inmates and families hate it. May 15, 2018, 13:43 NKD

Yep unfortunately it's one of those things that only seems to go one way. You can always find people willing to be "tough on crime" which of course usually means ineffective and harsh sentencing. But no one wants to be the person trying to do something for our incarcerated population, or trying to lower the absurd % of our population that is in jail.

This is our fault though. We have a really unhealthy view of prisoners. We assume that if someone has ended up in prison that they are and always will be a drain on society who deserves everything bad that will happen to them. This means politicians will lose votes unless they embrace this.

When the average voter hears a story about inmates being mistreated, exploited, etc., they're going to go post a comment on the internet about how "They should have thought about that before commiting a crime!" The implication is clear: If you commit a crime, you no longer have rights.

2. Re: Jails are replacing visits with video calls—inmates and families hate it. May 15, 2018, 13:02 YourNick

Looks like Skynet is already starting, in the skies rather than on the ground with Terminators.  

1. Jails are replacing visits with video calls—inmates and families hate it. May 15, 2018, 11:24 TheBigVlad

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo