Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Evening Interviews

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Evening Interviews May 12, 2018, 12:32 HorrorScope

If the AAA's can't figure out the economic the rest will. Instead of 3 hours for $30, there are plenty of 10-15 hours for $10, with unique ideas and art.

As for...
"besides, you simply can't monetise single-player games as effectively as a big, social, multiplayer experience. Right?"

Like Fortnite is FTP and I'm sure many people haven't spent $60 on the game. More like you can't monetize sp games to match what whales will spend in multiplayer games", to me that makes it much more clear on the reality. What's stupid is some of these games are easily topping 5 million copies and we then hear they didn't meet expectations. They really need to get their management under control.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Evening Interviews - Eidos/Deus Ex Excuses May 12, 2018, 07:42 Bub

Monumentally stupid marketing droid think in operation here. Deus Ex under performed, so lets blame the players, they never finished the game, so it must have been too long for them... Buzzer... WRONG.

More marketing droid speak, the players are getting too old and feeble. Never mind that the marketing totally missed the youth of the day.

The last Deus Ex was so bland, the levels so plain, lifeless and generic and the story so hackneyed and been there done that, most players who dropped cash for the game only had to play a few levels to come to the conclusion the game was a massive woofer and a waste of time.

They totally have their heads in the sand in regards to successful single player efforts like The Witcher, Skyrim, etc.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

5. Re: Evening Interviews May 12, 2018, 05:28 El Pit

jdreyer wrote on May 12, 2018, 02:40:
There's probably not much overlap between those that play Fortnite, and those that play Deadfire.

Most likely not. When we played UT and Q3A back in the 90s, we did actually play single-player games, too, just less than later. Nowadays I usually just play single-player games because I haved slowed down too much to be competitive at multiplayer games and also hate the rampant cheating that is going on in today's mp games. We had it, too, back then but it just wasn't this far spread.

The only multiplayer game I am regularly playing is Guild Wars 2 - and I stay far away from PvP in it.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

4. Re: Evening Interviews May 12, 2018, 02:40 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on May 12, 2018, 01:22:

It deserves to do much better. Do we really kind of have a second WoW effect currently where PUBG and Fortnite are stealing all of the attention away from gamers who would normally play Deadfire in a heartbeat if they were not so distracted by their MP grindfests?
There's probably not much overlap between those that play Fortnite, and those that play Deadfire.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

3. Re: Evening Interviews May 12, 2018, 01:22 CJ_Parker

Well, the state of affairs for single player games does seem to be a bit sad. I hope it will recover at some point but how? Just making good games is apparently not always enough.

The unfortunate truth is that great/good SP games with critical acclaim have underperformed in sales in recent times, e.g. Prey, Dishonored 2, Wolf II, Deus Ex Mankind Divided etc.

Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire, in spite of all the critical praise, also seems to be off to a rather weak start. Concurrent players on Steam this week was always just under/over 20K from what I have seen.

That's pretty weak for a new release. Today it has peaked at ~18K. The multiplayer Conan Exiles with its 'mixed' reviews, which also launched this week, peaked at over 40K.

What other games have 18K max concurrent players? Well, 18K means Deadfire is about as popular today as the "ancient" Fallout 4, Hearts of Iron IV, The Forest, Dead by Daylight, Spacewar. Meh.

It deserves to do much better. Do we really kind of have a second WoW effect currently where PUBG and Fortnite are stealing all of the attention away from gamers who would normally play Deadfire in a heartbeat if they were not so distracted by their MP grindfests?

2. Re: Evening Interviews May 11, 2018, 19:52 Bill Borre

I think they should make a game called X-Men: Danger Room where the art assets and animations are provided and players make their own combat missions. Basically a single-player game but people can swap missions and campaigns over the internet.  

1. Re: Evening Interviews May 11, 2018, 17:51 Creston

"We have to try new models for slurping more money out of our customers."

For example - and this is just my opinion, I'm not committing to anything - let's say that we develop a very good narrative, with a complex universe and strong characters. You start the game and then you complete it in three hours. That costs $30. That's it.

30 bucks for a 3 hour game? Yeah, good fucking luck with that.

In any case, it's a good interview. Worth a read.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo