Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is now available, offering Obsidian's RPG sequel for Windows, macOS, and Linux. You can pick up a copy from developer Obsidian Entertainment, publisher Versus Evil, and etailers like GOG.com and Steam. There are also a physical copies to be had through online purchases as well as what they are calling "stores." The launch trailer introduces the game, and here's word on the release:

Obsidian Entertainment, developer of genre-defining role-playing games, in partnership with powerhouse publisher Versus Evil, today announced the launch of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Role playing fans will rejoice in Obsidian's continued success in creating a rich and compelling narrative delivered in the grandest of RPGs. Deadfire's deep progression mechanics, enhanced companion system, tactical combat and new exploration across land and sea, is an upgrade from this multi-award winning RPG studio.

"Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is the first sequel we’ve made to one of our own games. Building on the incredible foundation of the first Pillars of Eternity, we’ve been able to create an even more dynamic world with systems such as our open world approach to the Deadfire,” said Obsidian Entertainment CEO, Feargus Urquhart. “What's been even more gratifying is the incredible support our community has given us over the years. Without them we would not have been able to create this amazing RPG.”

“Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire exemplifies the sheer dedication and passion from the team at Obsidian Entertainment in crafting what will surely be one of the biggest RPG’s in 2018,” said Steve Escalante, Versus Evil’s General Manager, “Today, fans of the studio and the original game will be able to experience all the improvements, additions and upgrades to this classic RPG. We’re very excited to help realize Obsidian’s vision with their release today and look forward to seeing RPG fans around the world explore the Deadfire!”

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 14:40 Task

Nucas wrote on May 9, 2018, 09:36:
Task wrote on May 9, 2018, 08:24:
I have to wait for my boxed edition, bummer. Oh well, I'm playing and making mods for BattleTech right now anyways.

do you? i ordered a boxed edition and have had access to the keys through the backer portal for several weeks.

I'll check again, but I didn't see it or was looking in the wrong area. All I saw was my receipt for the backer box, which said it included a separate downloadable version.

EDIT: Duur, I'm dumb. I found it. "My Product" section of my profile on Obsidian's site.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2018, 18:20.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 14:34 Leper

Frijoles wrote on May 8, 2018, 22:41:
Couldn't get in to PoE 1 for some reason. Played quite a bit of Divinity 2 though. May have to give this one a try.

Same here. Playing Divinity OS 2 now and hopefully this will have a few patches ready by the time I'm ready for it.

16. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 12:57 eRe4s3r

Frijoles wrote on May 9, 2018, 11:54:
How's the combat? I tried watching some broadcasts and let's play, and it appeared to be 100% reading / choose your own adventure. I don't mind some story in my game, but after 45 minutes of nothing really happening, I don't know if it was the streamer or the game itself.

There is plenty of combat

But currently there are a LOT of crash bugs, I've had 4 crashes in 6 hours... most of the time when switching maps.... so yeah..

15. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 11:54 Frijoles

How's the combat? I tried watching some broadcasts and let's play, and it appeared to be 100% reading / choose your own adventure. I don't mind some story in my game, but after 45 minutes of nothing really happening, I don't know if it was the streamer or the game itself.  

14. Re: Bus Simulator 18 Departing Ahead of Schedule May 9, 2018, 10:33 purecharger

Yep, buggy as all hell. Crashes every time for me when I try entering Port Maje. Too bad because the first hour and a half was fun.  

13. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode May 9, 2018, 09:47 Kajetan

NamecaF wrote on May 9, 2018, 00:28:
Yeah, being an Obsidian game, I'm gonna wait a couple of years and after 30 patches or so it should be playable by then.
Those days are long gone. Exactly since Dungeon Siege 3, when Obisidian finally switched to a decent bug tracking tool. The release quality for all games since was much, MUCH better than the usual bug party like Fallout New Vegas. Patches for Pillars 1 included mostly balancing and gameplay changes, only minor technical fixes.

12. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 09:36 Nucas

Task wrote on May 9, 2018, 08:24:
I have to wait for my boxed edition, bummer. Oh well, I'm playing and making mods for BattleTech right now anyways.

do you? i ordered a boxed edition and have had access to the keys through the backer portal for several weeks.

11. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 08:27 Creston

StingingVelvet wrote on May 9, 2018, 03:59:
I did play New Vegas right away though and the only bugs I had were some enemies stuck in the ground.

Everyone who played New Vegas was hit by the fact their renderer was just plain broken. People would replace the dx9.dll with one from a completely different game and gained like 30fps. Not everyone noticed this as some people had powerful enough PCs that it just brute-forced its way through, but after they patched that, your performance went up by like 50%.

New Vegas was pretty much a shitshow on release.

Anyway, about this, it looks cool, but the sailing and ship combat look mind-numbingly boring to me. Seriously, turn-based ship combat? I watched a video on it, it took like ten minutes to do a single battle, and just thinking about having to do that over and over again... ugh.

I hope to God someone mods that out. It's going to keep me from playing this. It just looked so terrible.

10. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 08:24 Task

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

9. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 07:48 yonder

StingingVelvet wrote on May 9, 2018, 03:59:
I've honestly never had major bug issues with Obsidian game

/stinkeye

8. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 07:47 yonder

CJ_Parker wrote on May 8, 2018, 23:06:
A few hours in and pretty good so far but like every Obsidian release it has "Bugs Bunny was here" written all over it (cue a fanboi claiming they had ZERO bugs both here as well as the release version of the original game in 3... 2... 1...).

There is one really bad crash early on if you take the "game over" path.
Yes, that's right, you can literally end the game after five minutes by being uncooperative so the crash is not really that bad as far as progression in the game goes but for many people, myself included, it crashes the game and locks up the PC so it's still kinda meh.

Other than that, my save import from the first game seems to have worked fine contrary to many other people (or maybe I just have a really bad memory and don't even get a chance to give a shit), no more crashes in over three hours, decent performance but lots and lots of little bugs and issues that add up.

There is also an official list of known major issues (um, so after having a beta and a delay, why does the game still ship with KNOWN MAJOR ISSUES in the first place, Obsidian, hm? Weeeelll?? Why??? ).

Anyway, guess I'm gonna keep playing for a few more hours, then shelve it for a proper playthrough around xmas when all the DLC is going to be included and when it is hopefully patched up really well.
It's certainly a special game that deserves to be played in its best possible state.
Well, and xmas is a much nicer time of year for such an epic RPG anyway.

So far, so good. Give it a few patches and then this is going to have the potential to be RPG of the Year award material.

I actually started up a new POE1 character a week before 2 launched so that I won't play POE2 for a few weeks, maybe even a month, because there's no way I'd play an Obsidian product on Day 1. Definitely really enjoyed the first one, however.

7. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 03:59 StingingVelvet

Icewind wrote on May 9, 2018, 02:38:
i played a pre-release reviewer's build starting last month for the site I write for and after a 50 hour playthrough I only experienced a very minor bug with a NPC who was supposed to be "gone" suddenly appearing on my ship and bringing up old dialog and a CTD once while exiting the game. Nothing major. A few graphical glitches here and there but that's more of my fault for running year old nvidia drivers.

Overall, it's probably the most stable game they've launched. Which admittedly, doesn't mean much, but still.

I've honestly never had major bug issues with Obsidian games, which people always give me the stink eye for. I probably rarely play on release day though, I'm just not someone who chooses what to play based on newness. I did play New Vegas right away though and the only bugs I had were some enemies stuck in the ground.

Anyway, subjective experience is subjective. It's just a shame Obsidian is known as a bug factory when I personally have never experienced that.

Replaying PoE1 now, then I'll play something different, then PoE2. Looking forward to it!

6. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 02:38 Icewind

i played a pre-release reviewer's build starting last month for the site I write for and after a 50 hour playthrough I only experienced a very minor bug with a NPC who was supposed to be "gone" suddenly appearing on my ship and bringing up old dialog and a CTD once while exiting the game. Nothing major. A few graphical glitches here and there but that's more of my fault for running year old nvidia drivers.

Overall, it's probably the most stable game they've launched. Which admittedly, doesn't mean much, but still.

A few hours in and pretty good so far but like every Obsidian release it has "Bugs Bunny was here" written all over it (cue a fanboi claiming they had ZERO bugs both here as well as the release version of the original game in 3... 2... 1...).

Yes, that's right, you can literally end the game after five minutes by being uncooperative so the crash is not really that bad as far as progression in the game goes but for many people, myself included, it crashes the game and locks up the PC so it's still kinda meh.

Other than that, my save import from the first game seems to have worked fine contrary to many other people (or maybe I just have a really bad memory and don't even get a chance to give a shit), no more crashes in over three hours, decent performance but lots and lots of little bugs and issues that add up.

There is also an official list of known major issues (um, so after having a beta and a delay, why does the game still ship with KNOWN MAJOR ISSUES in the first place, Obsidian, hm? Weeeelll?? Why??? ).

Anyway, guess I'm gonna keep playing for a few more hours, then shelve it for a proper playthrough around xmas when all the DLC is going to be included and when it is hopefully patched up really well.
It's certainly a special game that deserves to be played in its best possible state.

So far, so good. Give it a few patches and then this is going to have the potential to be RPG of the Year award material.

5. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 9, 2018, 00:28 NamecaF

Yeah, being an Obsidian game, I'm gonna wait a couple of years and after 30 patches or so it should be playable by then.

"I hope those bastards get inoperable brain cancer that they have passed on to their children."
-RedEye9

4. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 8, 2018, 23:06 CJ_Parker

3. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 8, 2018, 22:41 Frijoles

Couldn't get in to PoE 1 for some reason. Played quite a bit of Divinity 2 though. May have to give this one a try.  

2. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 8, 2018, 22:40 heroin

Finally, a game worth playing this year...  

1. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released May 8, 2018, 22:34 Darks

Played this and loving it, Really good game and much better then the first game.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo