30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Re: etc., etc.
May 1, 2018, 20:16
Cutter

Re: etc., etc. May 1, 2018, 20:16
May 1, 2018, 20:16
 Cutter

Good luck, TB. I only hope your end - and most of the rest of us for that matter - comes as switfly and painlessly as possible. They once asked Julius Caesar, 'You've seen men die in all manner of ways possible. Which is the best way to die?' To which Caesar replied, 'Unexpectedly.'
Morty: You sold a gun to a murderer so you could play video games?
Rick: Yeah, sure, I mean, if you spend all day shuffling words around, you can make anything sound bad, Morty.

May 1, 2018, 20:22
Re: etc., etc. May 1, 2018, 20:22
May 1, 2018, 20:22

Awe crap, that blows.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

May 1, 2018, 20:27
Re: etc., etc. May 1, 2018, 20:27
May 1, 2018, 20:27

He's only 33! I thought he was a lot older than that. Damn, that's way too young to go. Fuck cancer.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

May 1, 2018, 20:58
Re: etc., etc. May 1, 2018, 20:58
May 1, 2018, 20:58

I don't know the guy except watching a few of his game reviews, he seems like good people and I wish him all the best.

Life really dealt him a crummy roll.

May 1, 2018, 21:00
Re: etc., etc. May 1, 2018, 21:00
May 1, 2018, 21:00

Man that really sucks

I still remember watching the video when he announced he had cancer and it was him playing Surgeon Simulator and talking over the gameplay about this major life issue with candor and honesty.

The one thing I took away from that video is that if you have pain or abnormal bleeding, even in the most embarrassing part of your body, DON'T IGNORE IT. Go see a fucking doctor instead of waiting months (year?) in his case!

May 1, 2018, 21:05
Re: etc., etc. May 1, 2018, 21:05
May 1, 2018, 21:05

There are times one would feel lucky at retiring at 33. This is not one of those times. I hope TB can stretch this out for a few years.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 1, 2018, 21:20
NKD
Re: etc., etc. May 1, 2018, 21:20
May 1, 2018, 21:20
NKD

TB has been one of the most reliable guys to go to when it came to finding out if I was gonna like a game.

Gonna miss his content. I hope he enjoys his last days as much as possible and that his wife and son handle it as well as can be expected.
Thou art an artless, greasy tallow-catch.

May 1, 2018, 22:08
Re: etc., etc. May 1, 2018, 22:08
May 1, 2018, 22:08

That's just very sad. Poor guy.

We'll miss you, TB.

May 2, 2018, 01:02
Re: etc., etc. May 2, 2018, 01:02
May 2, 2018, 01:02

Meanwhile, people like Jimmy Carter get access to "special" cancer cure medicine.

wouldn't probably mater if he got access to behind closed door cancer treatments, the chemo has done its damage.

May 2, 2018, 02:08
Re: etc., etc. May 2, 2018, 02:08
May 2, 2018, 02:08

Shok wrote on May 1, 2018, 21:00:
if you have pain or abnormal bleeding, even in the most embarrassing part of your body, DON'T IGNORE IT

Everyone should note this.

I only know him from his reviews and casts, but I feel confident he was a great guy and this... just sucks.
I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

May 2, 2018, 03:39
Re: etc., etc. May 2, 2018, 03:39
May 2, 2018, 03:39

MattyC wrote on May 2, 2018, 02:08:
Shok wrote on May 1, 2018, 21:00:
if you have pain or abnormal bleeding, even in the most embarrassing part of your body, DON'T IGNORE IT

Everyone should note this.

I only know him from his reviews and casts, but I feel confident he was a great guy and this... just sucks.

Yup, had these lumps in my neck I ignored for years. I just figured they were swollen lymph nodes from catching colds and stuff. I'll never forget the look on my doctor's face when she felt them. Her face was ashen, and she was like "I'm doing a biopsy RIGHT NOW." A week later I was in surgery. Doc was like, "Another couple of weeks and it would have spread, and you'd have been terminal." That was 12 years ago, and I'm still chuggin' along. Fingers crossed.

I do take solace that, as a race, we continue to improve our technology, and that someday, death from cancer will no longer be a thing.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 2, 2018, 07:12
Re: etc., etc. May 2, 2018, 07:12
May 2, 2018, 07:12

jdreyer wrote on May 2, 2018, 03:39:
I do take solace that, as a race, we continue to improve our technology, and that someday, death from cancer will no longer be a thing.

It will continue to be a thing so long as medicine and healthcare are profit driven. There is far more money, currently, in treating cancer than in curing it. No cure will be forthcoming so long as treating it is a billions per year cash cow.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

May 2, 2018, 09:28
Prez

Re: etc., etc. May 2, 2018, 09:28
May 2, 2018, 09:28
 Prez

I have always had a love-hate relationship with John Bain. His passion for gaming has always been admirable, and when he behaved with class he was a fantastic asset to the industry. When he's let his arrogance and condescending nature get the best of him, though, I couldn't turn him off fast enough. All that said, love him or hate him as a critic, he deserves nothing but respect for the way he has handled what was clear was a death sentence for the last 4 years since he announced his illness. He clearly loves his wife and best friend, Jenna, and though he rarely got mentioned, there's no doubt he thought the world of his young son as well. His suffering will be over soon, but theirs will linger on for a long while, and I feel terrible for all of them. FUCK CANCER.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Devolves into my conspiracy theory is better than yours
May 2, 2018, 09:38
Devolves into my conspiracy theory is better than yours May 2, 2018, 09:38
May 2, 2018, 09:38

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 2, 2018, 07:12:
No cure will be forthcoming so long as treating it is a billions per year cash cow.
DangerDog wrote on May 2, 2018, 01:02:
Meanwhile, people like Jimmy Carter get access to "special" cancer cure medicine.
wouldn't probably mater if he got access to behind closed door cancer treatments ...

What is it. There will never be a cure for cancer because I want moar money. (forgetting that there are thousands of types of cancers and that even the people working on cures have also have loved ones)

Or there are magical "closed door" cures that only Magic Johnson and Bill Gate have access to but they let the Mr Carter get some of that tasty tasty medicine.

sigh
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

May 2, 2018, 09:41
NKD
Re: etc., etc. May 2, 2018, 09:41
NKD

It will continue to be a thing so long as medicine and healthcare are profit driven. There is far more money, currently, in treating cancer than in curing it. No cure will be forthcoming so long as treating it is a billions per year cash cow.

I don't know about that. It's not a zero sum situation. Curing cancer doesn't have to mean these companies lose all kinds of money. After all, most people cured of cancer are going to go on to die of some other medical issue that will need research and treatment.

That's what's so terrible about how profit driven our healthcare is. There's always going to be a way to milk tons of money out of people because of the inelastic demand.
Thou art an artless, greasy tallow-catch.

Re: Devolves into my conspiracy theory is better than yours
Beamer

Re: Devolves into my conspiracy theory is better than yours May 2, 2018, 09:41
 Beamer

Whoever comes up with a cure for cancer will get a Nobel Prize, and the company that does it will become instantly beloved and see their stock price make a huge jump.

"There isn't a monetary incentive" is a dumb, dumb response. This would be the biggest medical breakthrough since penicillin. The researchers names, and probably the CEO who enables it these days, would be known to history forever.

May 2, 2018, 09:48
Re: etc., etc. May 2, 2018, 09:48
May 2, 2018, 09:48

Unfortunately so true. There won't be a cure for anything anymore because cures are just not profitable. If a company ever found a cure they would hide it in some deep dark hole and then find a way to make it into a treatment that people pay over a lifetime on a daily basis. Don't think that drug companies aren't like every other company out there that wants you to pay them a monthly fee. IIRC the last cure invented was polio.

As far as TB goes, I am saddened by the news. While I haven't watched his reviews much recently, I did use to watch it a while back. My condolences to him and and his family.

May 2, 2018, 10:39
Re: Devolves into my conspiracy theory is better than yours May 2, 2018, 10:39
May 2, 2018, 10:39

LurkerLito wrote on May 2, 2018, 09:48:
There won't be a cure for anything anymore because cures are just not profitable. If a company ever found a cure they would hide it in some deep dark hole and then find a way ...
IIRC the last cure invented was polio.
Because profit and money were not a thing in the 1950's.
Matter of fact money had not even been invented yet.

It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

May 2, 2018, 10:56
Beamer

Re: etc., etc. May 2, 2018, 10:56
May 2, 2018, 10:56
 Beamer

LurkerLito wrote on May 2, 2018, 09:48:

Unfortunately so true. There won't be a cure for anything anymore because cures are just not profitable. If a company ever found a cure they would hide it in some deep dark hole and then find a way to make it into a treatment that people pay over a lifetime on a daily basis. Don't think that drug companies aren't like every other company out there that wants you to pay them a monthly fee. IIRC the last cure invented was polio.

As far as TB goes, I am saddened by the news. While I haven't watched his reviews much recently, I did use to watch it a while back. My condolences to him and and his family.

Again, this isn't true. As others point out, there's more money in having someone live to 80 than die of cancer at 30 or however old TB is, and the amount of money people would earn from curing cancer is unreal.

Just to demonstrate how off base you are, polio isn't cured. There is no cure for polio. If you get polio, you are fucked. What we do have is vaccines to prevent polio, but that is just to stop you from getting it, not cure you when you have it. We have new vaccines all the time, with HPV recently getting a vaccine. We also very recently created vaccines for ebola and malaria. Since polio, we also have vaccines for chicken pox, anthrax, measles, mumps, rubella, lyme disease, etc. In other words, LOTS of diseases are in the same category as polio in the time since polio.

But hey, keep thinking medicine prefers to keep people paying for treatment, even when people are terminal. Wouldn't a treatment of cancer that kept patients alive for decades, needing medicine, be preferable to one that kept them alive for months?

And hey, why did doctors invent LASIK, which cures many vision issues, when they could have kept patients coming in and needing to get new glasses every 1-3 years?

May 2, 2018, 15:27
Re: Devolves into my conspiracy theory is better than yours May 2, 2018, 15:27
May 2, 2018, 15:27

Beamer wrote on May 2, 2018, 09:41:
The researchers names, and probably the CEO who enables it these days, would be known to history forever.

"Yeah yeah, history, forever, what about next quarter's balance sheet and my hedge fund?"

- shitheel Wall Street guy.
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer