Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Super Monday Night Combat Closing

Super Monday Night Combat is going to close down on May 23rd, as the developers announce it will not be possible to operate the MOBA in compliance with the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which will take effect the next day (thanks Polygon). They are gifting all players with some in-game currency for a splurge before then:
We want to thank all of you for your support of Super Monday Night Combat. Your passion is what made this game a pleasure to work on.

However, due to the upcoming European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) deadline which is May 24th, we are sad to announce that we will be shutting down SMNC on that day. The game will remain active through May 23rd, 2018. Once our servers have been taken down, you will no longer be able to play SMNC in any game mode, so please make sure to get those matches in while you can.

As a special thank you to everyone that is still playing, from now until May 22nd, 2018, we will be giving you a gift of $10,000 of in-game currency. In order to get this, please contact our support team by emailing support@uberent.com or opening a ticket at http://support.uberent.com/ and be sure to include your ubernet login name. The support team will respond to your request as soon as possible.

Once again, thank you for your continued support and passion and we look forward to seeing you all again in our other games.
View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Super Monday Night Combat Closing May 1, 2018, 01:23 saluk

Sepharo wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 19:36:
It's not that it's not possible to comply with GDPR it just that they don't want to commit the resources to do so.

I wonder how many other developers out there just don't give a damn or are going to be dealing with situations retroactively as they come up as opposed to proactively.

I'm sure there are some, but the penalties are pretty steep so it's really not worth the risk to neglect it.

Where it may have been OK to keep a mostly dead game running before, it's just not worth it now. I think it will get easier as new games will consider privacy from the start, but right now it's chaos unleashed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Super Monday Night Combat Closing May 1, 2018, 00:22 Sepharo

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 21:14:
They don't really owe it to anybody to spend money altering the game to match the guidelines. I could see a preservation argument if it was a singleplayer game, but it's not so... meh.

I don't think you were necessarily replying to me, but just in case...
I wasn't trying to imply that they owe it to anybody. It totally makes sense not to spend the time and effort on an old game that probably close to nobody is playing... what I am surprised about is that they'd shut it down instead of just kind of hope nobody notices. That's the gist of my comment, what about the other thousands of old online games that won't be in compliance?

5. Re: Super Monday Night Combat Closing Apr 30, 2018, 23:31 LurkerLito

I have it in my list and never installed it. I also have 4 copies of it to gift. lol  

4. Re: Super Monday Night Combat Closing Apr 30, 2018, 21:43 HoSpanky

I had some fun with the game, way back when it came out. While I'm a little sad it's closing down, it's really surprising it lasted THIS long.

3. Re: Super Monday Night Combat Closing Apr 30, 2018, 21:14 StingingVelvet

They don't really owe it to anybody to spend money altering the game to match the guidelines. I could see a preservation argument if it was a singleplayer game, but it's not so... meh.  

2. Re: Super Monday Night Combat Closing Apr 30, 2018, 19:36 Sepharo

It's not that it's not possible to comply with GDPR it just that they don't want to commit the resources to do so.

I wonder how many other developers out there just don't give a damn or are going to be dealing with situations retroactively as they come up as opposed to proactively.

1. Re: Super Monday Night Combat Closing Apr 30, 2018, 19:28 Mac

Strange rationale ...  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >