Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Flight Sim World to be Grounded

The Dovetail Games Forums announce plans to end Flight Sim World, saying the game will be grounded without ever taking off out of early access (thanks Destroy). They indicate the game did not attract enough of an audience to support its completion. Word is they will sell the game for about another month, and it will remain in the Steam library of anyone who owns it:
It is with great sadness that we announce the future closure of Flight Sim World.

As you know, we always had a strong ambition to bring a new experience into the established world of flight simulation, one that deliberately overhauled both the flying experience and the graphical fidelity, offering new ways to fly.

Unfortunately, after many detailed discussions, we regrettably don’t see a clear direction that will allow us to keep to the development time we’d want, alongside the player numbers we need.

So, slightly before a year since we first launched into Early Access, we have made the intensely difficult decision to fully scale back all future development on Flight Sim World and remove it from sale on 24th May.
We’re sure you have lots of questions, we hope we’ve answered a few here.

FAQ
What happens to Flight Sim World if I already own it?
It will remain in your Steam library, available to play in its current format.

Will the sim be taken off sale?
Yes, and we’re working to the date of 24th May 2018. We want to give anyone who does not yet own a copy of the sim enough time to get a copy and keep it safe in their library for future play.

What will happen to any Add-Ons?
Add-Ons will also come off sale, but those you already own will still also be in your Steam library.

We hope you can give the team the respect they deserve for their tireless hard work to date. Please know that all of us here at Dovetail hold flight simulation, the creators of add-on content, and especially you, the community for this sim, in incredibly high regard for both your support and time with Flight Sim World.
View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 30, 2018, 18:26 Bard

Rigs wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 17:46:
@Qvark Obvious troll is obvious...

=-Rigs-=

IKR?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 30, 2018, 17:46 Rigs

@Qvark Obvious troll is obvious...

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 30, 2018, 17:00 Qvark

Rigs wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 22:17:
The genre that practically made PC gaming is now one of the most barren and deserted. Fucking sad.

I got into 'modern' PC gaming in 1992 because of flight combat sims like Aces of the Pacific, which was my first game on a 'modern' PC. I say 'modern' in quotes because before getting an IBM PS/1 486SX/25 w/4mb of RAM I had a Tandy CoCo3 from the time I was 5 in 1983. And one of the first games on that, in fact, was a port of the very first Flight Simulator. In all it's black and white wireframe glory. ('Is that the horizon or a mountain range?!') I also had Flight Sim 2 for it along with Epyx's Sub Battle Simulator. But when I sold it in 1991, I was left with nothing but a Genesis and sims were not exactly it's forte. (To put it mildly) When I saw an ad and previews for AotP, I had to have it! I bought it six months before I even had a computer to run it on! I didn't care, I just needed it. (And prior to this, I had stared at an ad for Their Finest Hour for three years that was in an old copy of Game Player's magazine!)

I really don't think we'll ever have those days again and it makes me sad. Game stores with shelves lined with big box flight combat sims and other simulations, wargames and rpgs? All with phone book-sized manuals? Heaven. And that's probably the only place we'll ever find another one again, too. Maybe, just maybe, it's time for me to let it go and retire from gaming altogether? There's just so much bullshit and greed. Devs no longer make games to see how far they can push their system but to see how much money they can wring out of their customers. I miss those days more than I can describe... Sigh

=-Rigs-=

What are you talking about, keep up to date. Today you have awesome sims, like X-Plane and DCS. Your bullshit reminiscence is annoying to read. Who gives a shit. Today the future is so much brighter than your bullshit.

9. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 30, 2018, 10:35 Prez

MacLeod wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 15:50:
Maybe having $230 worth of DLC while the game is still not complete could be part of the reason you didn't get an audience...

As a rule I'd agree with you, however detailed sims are a unique animal. Each aircraft is exhautively modelled in meticulous detail to the point each one is essentially a full product unto itself. This is common in the flight simulation genre. Anyone who ever played Falcon 4.0 knows what I'm talking about.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 30, 2018, 08:20 eRe4s3r

Dovetail Games is the company with 6064€ worth of DLC on Steam for their Train Simulator.

Yes, it's THAT company. They wanted to do the same thing with this and failed.

7. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 30, 2018, 03:07 VaranDragon

The thing about niche gaming is that its a niche. Simulators, especially flight simulators require quite a bit of peripherals, but more importantly they require a huge investment of time (and usually money). Thats why most people who are into that kind of stuff today stick with what they know.

I for one am a DCS World player, and it would take something that blows it out of the water for me to make the switch.

6. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 29, 2018, 23:04 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 14:07:
Buyer beware, and don't buy early access?

You bet--Caveat Emptor! look at all "Early Access" games and even Kickstarters with healthy but searing skepticism, and don't spend $1 more on any of these prematurely selling games than you can afford to lose. You are probably OK with devs you already know through the successful products they have launched--but newbies? Nah, stay away. No point spending money just for them to discover they underestimated their development budget by 200% or more and simply quit. Does Steam refund EA games that are canceled before release? Can't recall. That would be nice...;)

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

5. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 29, 2018, 22:17 Rigs

The genre that practically made PC gaming is now one of the most barren and deserted. Fucking sad.

I got into 'modern' PC gaming in 1992 because of flight combat sims like Aces of the Pacific, which was my first game on a 'modern' PC. I say 'modern' in quotes because before getting an IBM PS/1 486SX/25 w/4mb of RAM I had a Tandy CoCo3 from the time I was 5 in 1983. And one of the first games on that, in fact, was a port of the very first Flight Simulator. In all it's black and white wireframe glory. ('Is that the horizon or a mountain range?!') I also had Flight Sim 2 for it along with Epyx's Sub Battle Simulator. But when I sold it in 1991, I was left with nothing but a Genesis and sims were not exactly it's forte. (To put it mildly) When I saw an ad and previews for AotP, I had to have it! I bought it six months before I even had a computer to run it on! I didn't care, I just needed it. (And prior to this, I had stared at an ad for Their Finest Hour for three years that was in an old copy of Game Player's magazine!)

I really don't think we'll ever have those days again and it makes me sad. Game stores with shelves lined with big box flight combat sims and other simulations, wargames and rpgs? All with phone book-sized manuals? Heaven. And that's probably the only place we'll ever find another one again, too. Maybe, just maybe, it's time for me to let it go and retire from gaming altogether? There's just so much bullshit and greed. Devs no longer make games to see how far they can push their system but to see how much money they can wring out of their customers. I miss those days more than I can describe... Sigh

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2018, 22:32.

4. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 29, 2018, 16:43 CJ_Parker

Well, after X-Plane 11 came out and Prepar3d went to 64-bit with version 4.0, FSW was basically dead in the water.

Every serious flight sim gamer either made the switch to X-Plane 11 or Prepar3d 4.x or they stuck with their good old FSX (SE) with hundreds of add-ons and (tens of) thousands of $$$ invested.

FSW never stood a chance due to DTG's half-assed approach. Yet another ancient FSX fork simply wasn't -literally- going to fly.

The final nail in the coffin must have been that they could not get add-on makers to develop for FSW while the competition is now getting better and stronger than ever as OrbX is doing stuff for both Prepar3d (and FSX/FSX: SE) and X-Plane 11.

All of the significant 3rd party devs have been 100% focused on XP11/P3D for a long time now. No one gave a shit about FSW except DTG themselves with their own measly DLCs.

It's a well deserved failure. They never tried hard or serious enough to begin with.

3. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 29, 2018, 15:50 MacLeod

Maybe having $230 worth of DLC while the game is still not complete could be part of the reason you didn't get an audience...  

2. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 29, 2018, 14:07 jdreyer

Buyer beware, and don't buy early access?  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

1. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 29, 2018, 13:30 Bumpy

It was a nice attempt to fix up old FSX but it seems they bit of more than they could chew.

If the Xplane 11 dev would just listen to its customers and add in quality seasons and air traffic control, it would end up the clear future for flight simmers.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >