Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Steam Top 10

There are ten different titles on this week's Steam top 10:

1. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  2. Frostpunk
  3. BATTLETECH
  4. NieR:Automata
  5. Far Cry 5
  6. BATTLETECH
  7. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  8. theHunter: Call of the Wild
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia
View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 30, 2018, 18:24 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 15:51:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 07:52:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 17:47:
Load times are terrible, as others have reported.

I'm curious as to what your load times are. As I stated in a different thread, my load times are between 15-30 seconds depending on the amount of opposition I am going to run in to. The "kill pirate lance" missions which usually only have 4 mechs take about 15 seconds to load from launching the contract.

Mine are taking 45-60s to load. That's longer than most games.
When was the last time you defragged your muffler bearings.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 30, 2018, 15:51 jdreyer

I'm curious as to what your load times are. As I stated in a different thread, my load times are between 15-30 seconds depending on the amount of opposition I am going to run in to. The "kill pirate lance" missions which usually only have 4 mechs take about 15 seconds to load from launching the contract.

Mine are taking 45-60s to load. That's longer than most games.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 30, 2018, 13:45 Leper

Cutter wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 20:59:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 20:16:
Frostpunk looks great, but it seems like you have to build out the city the same every time. I can't see how to have success in the game without doing a cylindrical build. I just don't like the idea of a city builder that has little to no variation.

Yeah. After watching some Let's Play's and reading some criticisms of the game I see it as a one trick pony too. Once you figure out the path of best layout and laws to follow then there isn't much left to do. Much like This War of Mine I just don't see it warranting more than $5, $10 at most. Kind of thing to play as a time waster on a tablet or something.

Figuring out the optimal layout was supposed to be part of the puzzle, but there are too many ways for games to be spoiled nowadays. This one was probably released a little early, but give it a few months and they'll hopefully have some more content to justify the price. It sounds like they have some ideas and now it's just a matter of time.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 30, 2018, 08:57 Burrito of Peace

Kajetan wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 08:27:
Load times on a SSD are faster, but other games gain more from a switch. Looking at the BT folder, there are over 18.000 files. Unpacking my pre-load took nearly 45 minutes on a normal drive. Copying the folder to a SSD via Steam took 15 minutes. Many small files slow down any drive, regardless if solid state or not.

Besides that ... great game!

Understandable that an SSD would be faster. However, my load times are from a 7200RPM spinning rust disk (cause those 4TB SSDs are just a might expensive right now).

What I am pondering is if the difference in load times is based on RAM amount. My Windows gaming VM has 32GB assigned to it and I have noticed that when Battletech loads, it will use ~12GB of that. I'm guessing that BT is using it as a cache so systems with less memory may be streaming off the disk which would increase load times.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 30, 2018, 08:27 Kajetan

Load times on a SSD are faster, but other games gain more from a switch. Looking at the BT folder, there are over 18.000 files. Unpacking my pre-load took nearly 45 minutes on a normal drive. Copying the folder to a SSD via Steam took 15 minutes. Many small files slow down any drive, regardless if solid state or not.

Besides that ... great game!

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 30, 2018, 07:52 Burrito of Peace

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 30, 2018, 06:54 Scutty

1badmf wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 21:07:
have they fixed BT's ultrawide screen support yet?

No, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game. I play on a 3440x1440 monitor and I didn't notice the lack of UW support until someone pointed it out on the forums (or reddit, I don't recall). It's a great game that I recommend to anyone who is a fan of the old Mechcommander games or just a fan of big stompy robots.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 29, 2018, 21:07 1badmf

have they fixed BT's ultrawide screen support yet?  

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 29, 2018, 20:59 Cutter

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 20:16:
Frostpunk looks great, but it seems like you have to build out the city the same every time. I can't see how to have success in the game without doing a cylindrical build. I just don't like the idea of a city builder that has little to no variation.

Yeah. After watching some Let's Play's and reading some criticisms of the game I see it as a one trick pony too. Once you figure out the path of best layout and laws to follow then there isn't much left to do. Much like This War of Mine I just don't see it warranting more than $5, $10 at most. Kind of thing to play as a time waster on a tablet or something.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 29, 2018, 20:16 BIGtrouble77

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 29, 2018, 19:31 warmbluelasers

Clearing up some room on my SSD, and will be moving it over there.

I'm running it on SSD and the load times are very long for me. I have no problems in-combat though so it may help with your stutters.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 29, 2018, 17:47 jdreyer

Glad to see BT on the list.

Played the first few missions on my 5 year old gaming rig. The graphics look great, although I get the occasional stutter on explosions and such. Being a turn based game, it's no big deal. Load times are terrible, as others have reported. Clearing up some room on my SSD, and will be moving it over there.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 29, 2018, 16:35 warmbluelasers

Both Frostpunk and Battletech have given me a lot of joy this week.  

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 29, 2018, 13:58 Creston

Go Battletech!  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >