Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default

A thread on Reddit started by Kiu16 notes a change to user reviews on Steam disables user comments by default. Users who post reviews can choose to enable comments to subject themselves to the wisdom of the crowd, but overall there will be less discussion of user reviews. Reddit's discussion of this is passionate, and expresses general disapproval of the change. It's not clear at this point whether this relates to recent EU privacy regulations, Valve further refining the user review process, or some other reason. Thanks PCGamesN.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 29, 2018, 22:43 Ant

I just noticed this change after I posted my ARAM3 review after 1 PM PDT today. Bah.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 27, 2018, 10:09 Bub

Steam reviews and comments are valuable to me. I steer clear of games that have many reviews/comments regarding unfixed bugs, and glitchy issues in getting the game to run, or run in specific screen resolutions. There are a lot of games that fall into this category and unfortunately Steam is quite happy to sell games that won't work for many customers, so these reviews and comments are quite helpful to me.
The default setting here will simply apply a Darwinian filter on many nitwits.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

22. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 19:04 Orogogus

yonder wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 18:44:
Buggy as hell upon release. But they have "0.0 hours in the past two weeks" and so I let them know they're full of crap for absolutely LOVING a game and yet leaving a negative review without following-up.

I mean... I feel like I would go out of my way to ignore meta-reviewers like that, people with a mission. It's not the average gamer's job to reinstall games and check back on the status of major bugs. They played the game and checked out like normal people. Steam provides tools for buyers to see the history of reviews, look at recent reviews, sort by date, etc., so it's not like there's no way to find the correct information.

I don't think this particular change helps privacy or has any real upside for users, but on the other hand it also seems pretty insignificant on the whole. If there really are a lot of people who go around telling people leaving reviews that they're full of crap then I see ending this as a tiny benefit. Just check "not helpful" and move on.

21. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 18:44 yonder

I've actually commented on numerous Steam Reviews. For example, there's a certain game I've invested hundreds of hours in lately that frequently gets comments like this that I saw today:

"In my opinion the best *game genre* since *certain historic game*, compelling story, stellar characters that stick to memory and evoke emotion, mechanics that feel real and believable most of the times. Immersive."

With over 300 hours.

But yet... it's a negative review. Why? Buggy as hell upon release. But they have "0.0 hours in the past two weeks" and so I let them know they're full of crap for absolutely LOVING a game and yet leaving a negative review without following-up. If Steam had a "First Impressions" review category and a "long after release" category that'd be fine, but they don't, so all these "it was buggy on release but I loved it but I'm leaving a negative review but I'm not going to follow-up" get downvotes for me. I leave them a comment letting them know that I'll change it if they bother following up.

FWIW, I *DO* agree the game at hand was released a few months early and it's a GREAT example of Miyamoto's "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

And I refused to leave a positive review until they fixed the release bugs, which they have.

20. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 16:06 Cutter

Rilcon wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 12:19:
MacLeod wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 11:33:
Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 11:23:
So people have to choose to enable a setting. That's a good thing.

Completely disagree on this. Because now, when people want to write damaging reviews that are actually written well, but contain bad information, there's no way to actually combat that by having people respond to the review. (and the reverse is also true)

I thought you could up/downvote reviews already? Anyways, who the christ is going to read the reviews of a review to "get to the truth", but not check other reviews of the game for a bigger sample size? Who even has the time to read comments on steam user reviews?

You can up/down vote reviews which is why they get sorted that way unless you choose recent reviews. Most of the "reviews" are a waste of space but a lot of people put forth really good ones. And anything that empowers consumer privacy rights is not only good but long overdue and necessary now.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

19. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 14:25 Armengar

this has nothing to do with gdpr.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

18. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 14:22 Ozmodan

I rarely see comments on people's reviews now, so how can it be that big a deal. Personally I usually try to read good and bad reviews to form an opinion, developers comments are always prejudiced for the most part.  

17. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 13:48 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 13:39:
chickenboo wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 13:28:
I love/hate how the littlest change gets picked apart these days at the second the news drops. Valve could change the color of a tiny border around some insignificant Steam client feature, and there would be an uproar and a 500-thread reddit post where everything from the end-times being predicted, to the divine genius of Valve, is present.

I dunno, this seems like a pretty big change.

Really? It doesn't seem significant to me. I think it mainly affects small developers who reply to Steam reviews. As someone else said, I don't really need to read people disagreeing with someone's reviews; I would want to get that information from other people leaving their own reviews.

16. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 13:39 jdreyer

chickenboo wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 13:28:
I love/hate how the littlest change gets picked apart these days at the second the news drops. Valve could change the color of a tiny border around some insignificant Steam client feature, and there would be an uproar and a 500-thread reddit post where everything from the end-times being predicted, to the divine genius of Valve, is present.

I dunno, this seems like a pretty big change.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

15. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 13:37 jdreyer

Wait, comments on Steam reviews are a thing?  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

14. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 13:28 chickenboo

So here's my input on it cause why the hell not! Seems like a good idea to me. Most of the comments on reviews I have read are not at all helpful, but then again, most of the reviews on Steam are not at all helpful either. Battletech doesn't have widescreen support? 1/10! Darkest Dungeon is too hard for me? 1/10! "git gud chicken and rice 5/7 best hour of my life ever!"

13. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 12:45 Muscular Beaver

Since so many people talk shit in their reviews, there should always be a possibility to set it straight. Just like on Amazon.

I am seeing a lot who dont care about these reviews or the replies on them anyway. So I dont know why they even bother jumping in this discussion.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

12. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 12:19 Prez

This is unfortunate if it applies to developer responses to reviews as well. Quite a few devs address the points raised in negative reviews (and even positive ones). I think it's helpful both to the devs and the customers that this dialog happens. Hopefully this only affects other steam users' ability to comment.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 12:19 Rilcon

Completely disagree on this. Because now, when people want to write damaging reviews that are actually written well, but contain bad information, there's no way to actually combat that by having people respond to the review. (and the reverse is also true)

I thought you could up/downvote reviews already? Anyways, who the christ is going to read the reviews of a review to "get to the truth", but not check other reviews of the game for a bigger sample size? Who even has the time to read comments on steam user reviews?

10. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 12:17 Parallax Abstraction

Such a nuanced, productive comment.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Mixer

9. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 12:06 Darks

Nucas wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 11:59:

this is where my thinking is. steam reviews are already essentially worthless, now they're not even worth a skim.

They are worthless, because most of the reviews are either people whining or bitching about something, and tend to be none related.

And on top of that a lot of the reviews are opinion based.

Thats not really a bad thing, but most of the time it does not reflect another persons feeling about a game. Some games are fun for others where as some are not. It all fall under that to each their own and opinions vary.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

8. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 12:01 DangerDog

This change is going to drastically alter my ability to judge the quality of the shovelware on Steam.

90% of the comments to reviews are: ok, thx man, cool, neat.

I'm crushed.

Now I'm going to have to hone my skill of judging a game based on the first 10 seconds of the autoplay video / advertisement for the game and maybe looking at a couple of screenshots in the film roll.

7. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 11:59 Nucas

this is where my thinking is. steam reviews are already essentially worthless, now they're not even worth a skim.

6. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 11:52 eRe4s3r

This is a good thing and related to a recent trend.. trolls bring their trolling out of forums into any review posted by whoever disagrees with them, has become endemic the past months.  

5. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 11:48 StingingVelvet

Good change if you ask me. I have a couple high-rated reviews and the comments on them are all nonsense really. They often focus on my "hours played" stat too, which is never accurate because I tend to use offline mode a lot. You're there to read the review, not reviews of reviews.  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo